Best savant?

CthulhuSpren

I don't know about that. There are varying amounts of power in allomancy, and the more powerful ones don't seem to use up the metal faster. A nicroburst savant (or duralumin misborn savant) would proably get more bang for their buck from the metal.

Actually the Allomantic Strenght is just about "how fast you can burn your metals".

From 1 Kg of Pewter you may generate X power. The only difference is that Ham may burn all that pewter in 24h, Vin in 18-20h, Elend in 12h and Rashek in 9h (just as example).

• 2 months later...

I was just curious of what everyone's opinion of the best savant, potentially (since we've only seen tin and pewter savants- although, there was a WoB saying marsh was an atium savant, what that entails, i have no clue)

Also if you suggest any savants, could you clarify what you think they would be

-if i've missed any savants, please say so  ;)

Who do we know is a pewter savant?

I am noticing there does seem to be different gradations (Kelsier and Wax show no negative affects to not burning steel, while Spook becomes blind and deaf without it perhaps to the amount of time they burned their metals vs flaring them) and manifestations (a steel inquisitor who can see via steel lines, or kelsier who can push on different points of metal, or Wax with his steel bubble )to savantism.

I am noticing there does seem to be different gradations (Kelsier and Wax show no negative affects to not burning steel, while Spook becomes blind and deaf without it perhaps to the amount of time they burned their metals vs flaring them) and manifestations (a steel inquisitor who can see via steel lines, or kelsier who can push on different points of metal, or Wax with his steel bubble )to savantism.

I guess that has something to do with the fact that pewter and tin as only metals affect the body directly. Steel-savantism ends in such negative effects as "unconsciously pushing on your bride's earrings during a party"

Is savant-ism really ONLY attainable by flaring metals for an extended period?  I would think that the more you use it, the better control you gain.  Kelsier passed Vin off to everyone else to learn the nuances of their specific abilities...I always pictured that there was levels, like Pathfinder said.  You get better and better as you use it, from being able to push with steel at the beginning, to being able to create a bubble.  After that comes the "detrimental" aspect.  You have used it for so long that it becomes the new norm, so your ability to focus the Investiture gets more advanced.  Then you end up not being able to go back to the original normal, and start seeing everything in steel sight.

Same with tin.  You learn how to enhance all the senses first, then focus on one, then extend the range further and further...and all of a sudden  your body no longer can return to normal.  Spook just took it so far that he messed himself up pretty bad.  If he would have stopped pushing constantly I think he could have turned it on and off and still been considered a savant.

Just how I always pictured it.  But I'm new here.  :)

There's a difference between being really good and being a savant note that spook was already really good with tin but it wasn't until he started to not only constantly burn it but flare it that he became a savant. Same with wax he was already a ridiculously good coinshot but once he went to the roughs he started burning it a lot more often daily to the extent that he became a savant. Arguable wax could be a much better savant if he managed to always flare his metal.

So in a way orsium yes what you say is true but its like trying to level up past five hundred it can be done but not the way that you usually level up.

Miles was a gold savant. The enhancement he gained from it was not what he could recover from but how fast. In his POV parts in Alloy he mentions that he is always burning it. The bulk of his power obviously came from compounding but Miles was definitely a savant. 

Miles was a gold savant. The enhancement he gained from it was not what he could recover from but how fast. In his POV parts in Alloy he mentions that he is always burning it. The bulk of his power obviously came from compounding but Miles was definitely a savant. 

It's interesting, being a savant doesn't only affect the allomantic ability of that metal, but also the feruchemical ability associated with it when compounding.

When I write it out, it seems obvious, but still. Interesting.

Well, likely it happens when you have too much investiture flowing through you in any particular way for longer than you have any business doing.

So feruchemical savants would be hard pressed to exist, but compounding provides the steady amounts needed to potentially achieve the state.

Would that make them allomantic savants, feruchemical savants, both, or perhaps savants for compounding specifically?

Do we have any evidence that there is such a thing as a feruchemical savant? It doesn't seem that with feruchemy that there are actual degrees of power or skill, each feruchemist we've met seems to have complete control over their abilities as long as they have their metal minds. It seems unlikely to me that frequency of use of feruchemy would actually affect it's effectiveness or the skill of the feruchemist. 

Do we have any evidence that there is such a thing as a feruchemical savant? It doesn't seem that with feruchemy that there are actual degrees of power or skill, each feruchemist we've met seems to have complete control over their abilities as long as they have their metal minds. It seems unlikely to me that frequency of use of feruchemy would actually affect it's effectiveness or the skill of the feruchemist. 

It is stated somewhere that all investiture changes the body. And Feruchemy is Investiture.

What would a Feruchemical savant do?  It is supposedly an end-neutral art, so would becoming a savant change it to end positive?  Like you store X amount in but when you draw it you get X+Y out? 

Feruchemy is end-neutral, so thatis most likely (nearly absolute) impossible. Probably feruchemical savantism is exact control where you store and tap your resources (like: slow down my arms for faster legs; or store weight on my right side while tapping on the left)

Maybe an example of freuchemical savantism would be phsyiological effects.  Like when a Kandra (I forget which) asks Wayne if they can have his bones, because gold ferrings have interesting bone structures.

Pewter Ferring: Might have really messed up joints from going from wasting away, to being extremely buff.

just a thought.

Would that be perhaps more of a natural progression than actually being a savant?  I think that the whole bone/joint thing in your example would be just a side effect of either healing wounds all the time or just putting excessive amounts of stress on them.  I think I'm going to re-read what was said about savants in HoA...after I finish my new shiny BoM copy.  Maybe something will jump out that could relate Allomancy to Feruchemy.

I think breeze was actually a savant. He even managed to sooth people during the battle of lutadel, while he was in a traumatic shock. Also he soothed people halfway unconciously most of the time.

It may interest you to know, then, that the MAG lists Breeze as a Brass Savant (page 513). It's a "take with a little salt" source, but I thought you'd want to know.

• Chaos locked this topic