Supergirl

Quiver

For some reason most, if not all, superhero shows now have that opening narration, and it's driving me nuts.

I don't watch a lot of superhero shows, but it definitely reminds me of the earlier superhero movies circa 2000-2005. And it bothers me because they could have just as easily shown everything in Kara's narration rather than having her narrate. Heck, they could've even cut out the narration and shown the footage they already had and had it work okay. There are so many different ways around the opening narration, so using it is just lazy.

I don't think Daredevil used it, actually. I need to get back into that show. :ph34r:

can't believe they're going with "no one will know you're supergirl because no one will expect it."
Exact same body frame, posture, voice, hair colour.. but no glasses = don't know who the hell you are.

At least The Flash can do that vibration technique, which is clever in my opinion.

Aside from that, i don't think i can continue it. I don't think they've honestly tried hard enough to warrant anyones full attention. It could have been so much better.

It doesn't surprise me that they went for the glasses and 'no-one will recognise you since no-one expects it'. That worked fine for Superman, so it will work for Supergirl too.

I'm not entirely sure what it is about Supergirl that I don't like, I just don't find it as enjoyable as Arrow or Flash.

See, I like the Marvel superhero model of generally letting everyone know who you are. Why does she need to hide behind glasses? I totally thought when ms Cat whatever her name is was about to fire her, she was going to reveal herself and save the paper. But no.....

Then again I don't know much DC or the actual comics so anyway....

See, I like the Marvel superhero model of generally letting everyone know who you are. Why does she need to hide behind glasses? I totally thought when ms Cat whatever her name is was about to fire her, she was going to reveal herself and save the paper. But no.....

Then again I don't know much DC or the actual comics so anyway....

It certainly helps Marvel's case that their Avengers line thus far has focused on heroes with no secret identities. That's the whole story of the Civil War, whether heroes should be forced to reveal their identities or not (which is my favorite Marvel story), so we'll see if the new Civil War movie bothers to stay true or not. But Marvel has their fair share of heroes with secret identities, just as DC has their fair share of heroes that don't.

In Australia, Supergirl was picked up by the Fox8 channel, and is due for broadcast next year. I'm afraid I cannot find an exact date for you though.

If you prefer though, I can send you to a site that streams the episodes? PM me if you want the link.

I'm liking Supergirl so far, though the flying battle in episode 2 was pretty atrocious, special effects wise. the most recent episode decided ot directly confront the shadow of superman that was sort of looming over the show, and mostly succeeded at that, so I'm hoping we get a whole lot less of the references to "my cousin" and "Him" (capital letter definitely included), since they were just about the most awkward dialogue choices i have ever seen,

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. The show's third (?) episode was centered around the idea of "Enough with Superman, focus on Supergirl", which sort of irritated me (if you knew it was an issue, why did you include it to begin with?), but after that episode they've mentioned Superman maybe twice, and the mentions were in regards to a specific relationship in which it made sense for Supes to be brought up.

Adding depth to her newspaper boss was also incredibly beneficial to the show. All in all the show has become worth watching. 7/10, would recommend.

I am still weird about the show. I like it, but it's very on-the-nose about certain things - specifically the points it's trying to get across. It's not that the points are bad or wrong, but the show makes it too obvious that it's preaching - which, now that I think about it, is maybe something we need. 

Also, for once, I want a show where the lead character and the character obviously planted as their love interest get together and deal with things together, instead of having the love interest randomly get together with another character. Seriously.

Also also, we are what, halfway through the season, and Kara's aunt is still MIA. What's up with that, Supergirl?

I am still weird about the show. I like it, but it's very on-the-nose about certain things - specifically the points it's trying to get across. It's not that the points are bad or wrong, but the show makes it too obvious that it's preaching - which, now that I think about it, is maybe something we need.

Also, for once, I want a show where the lead character and the character obviously planted as their love interest get together and deal with things together, instead of having the love interest randomly get together with another character. Seriously.

Also also, we are what, halfway through the season, and Kara's aunt is still MIA. What's up with that, Supergirl?

Re love interest, which is Supergirl doing?

She's pining after one character, who at times seems to truly enjoy his current relationship, and at other times clearly wants to date Kara instead. Meanwhile there is a separate male character pining after Kara in the adorkable kind of way, which she, naturally, completely ignores/doesn't notice/doesn't care.

To be fair, Arrow's first two seasons, as well as season one of Flash, kept us in the dark to the main villain for most of the episodes. They only got really involved around the Christmas break, which is what we're approaching this week/next week (I don't know how many episodes we have left).

I'll second the point about the show needing to be less on-the-nose with its preachiness. especially because it tends to get those points across better with just the regular action. its sort of a "show, don't tell" problem

and yea, the last few episodes have been enjoyable enough that I hadn't noticed, but it is really weird to let us know who the season big bad is up front, then ignore her for weeks at a time.

still, Kara is really fun, and the whole cast has generally been doing a pretty good job so far, so no big complaints, only the occasional minor quibble

Whaaaaaaaat?!

I did not see that coming.

The Martian freakin' Manhunter?! This whole time we were expecting Henshaw to be a secret evil cyborg! And he's J'onn. Dude. That was really an excellent twist--way better than I'd expected of this show. And I bet you anything the real Henshaw shows up as a cyborg eventually.

Whaaaaaaaat?!

I did not see that coming.

The Martian freakin' Manhunter?! This whole time we were expecting Henshaw to be a secret evil cyborg! And he's J'onn. Dude. That was really an excellent twist--way better than I'd expected of this show. And I bet you anything the real Henshaw shows up as a cyborg eventually.

based on every single thing I know about a. how comic book characters get incorporated into these shows and b. the comic character named "hank Henshaw", I would say you are 100% correct

Henshaw:

Henshaw was, in the comics, a scientist turned evil cyborg dude that was mostly a villain for Superman, but has more recently been a villain for the Green Lantern Corps. He had an accident nearly identical to the one Marvel used for Fantastic Four (in space, solar flare, etc), and he was sort of the Reed Richards role, leader of the team and his wife was on it too. Well, to keep a long and depressing story short, unlike the Fantastic Four these four scientists got messed up in the head due to the accident and the results of it, and all but Henshaw eventually commit suicide, and Henshaw ends up having to upload his brain into a computer and then travels space. While he's in space, he learns of things that make him believe Superman was the one responsible for the space accident, and returns a villain.

Hank was known as The Cyborg (don't confuse with Cyborg, the Teen Titan hero now turned Justice League member), and his first major villainous act was to pose as Superman after Supes apparent death. It was actually a cool storyline, and could be cool for Supergirl if they'll ever bother giving Superman a face. Of course, by having J'onn pose as Henshaw, they can do a similar story without the Man of Steel.

Either way, given how the team running the show like to throw names in for the comic nerds to ponder before throwing the character fully into the show (see: Cisco Ramone, Caitlin Snow, Ronnie Raymond, Kendra Saunders, the last name Thawne, Slade Wilson, Roy Harper, Thea through her nickname Speedy [the original comic character was Mia Dearden, and Thea's middle name is Dearden, as well as her using the name Mia when she's in Corto Maltese], Laurel Lance, Ray Palmer, and Merlyn, though the Merlyn in the comics was Tommy, not Malcolm). So I have little doubt we'll be seeing The Cyborg eventually, even if it's a few season down the line.