Why Shash?

KnightGradient

So we all know how Kaladin has the shash brand right? This is probably HUGE speculation on my part, but shash means 6 according to the Ars Arcanum. It originated from Shalash, who was the head of the Lightweavers. Shallan is named for Shalash. Draw your own conclusions, but basically, why does 6=dangerous?

So we all know how Kaladin has the shash brand right? This is probably HUGE speculation on my part, but shash means 6 according to the Ars Arcanum. It originated from Shalash, who was the head of the Lightweavers. Shallan is named for Shalash. Draw your own conclusions, but basically, why does 6=dangerous?

It is also the essence of blood, so maybe Shash is also associated with killers?

Storms, that makes Shallan an even more perfect fit for the Lightweavers.

It's because of the Sixth House from Morrowind. Odium is actually Dagoth Ur. The Dawnshards are Keening, Wraithguard, and Sunder.

The Dwemer are the Dawnsingers, as they utilize tones to work their magic.  Kagrenac is known as the Tonal Architect, the Heart of Lorkhan is called the "Doom Drum", and many Dwemer technologies utilize sounds and beats to function.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure why the number 6. It just has a negative connotation. 666, and all that stuff.

Edited by Patrick Star

It is also the essence of blood, so maybe Shash is also associated with killers?

Storms, that makes Shallan an even more perfect fit for the Lightweavers.

This makes sense to me. In addition, considering how destructive Shallash has become in her madness, it wouldn't surprise me if she really was that dangerous in her prime.

I can't imagine a non-dangerous herald. Even Palah probably could kill an army of voidbringers before breakfast; and the Lightweavers are more combat-orientated than Truthwatchers.

Another thing I noticed: Shash is a letter in Warbreaker, the only letter from their alphabet that is actually mentioned. Then there's also Shashara, another character Vasher knew at some point.

I feel like Shash might possibly be sort of important.

Shalash is one of the five Scholars. It was obvious from the beggining that the order of lightweavers had to come from a world that is all about colors.

On a more serious note, that is most likely no coincidence. I wonder if Shash is actualy the name of an ancient female warrior from Yolen.

Shalash is one of the five Scholars. It was obvious from the beggining that the order of lightweavers had to come from a world that is all about colors.

Do we have a WoB on this? Isn't Shalash Jezrien's daughter? How would it work for her to come from there? The order of Lightweavers fits in perfectly with the surge table, and Truthwatchers also have the surge of illumination.

I'm not saying she hasn't spent some time on Nalthis, but now we're talking the order of the Lightweavers actually being of Endowment.

Warbreaker spoilers:

This would mean Shalash and Vasher were once married, and that she faked letting Vasher kill her with Nightblood.

Edited by The Honor Spren

Do we have a WoB on this? Isn't Shalash Jezrien's daughter? How would it work for her to come from there? The order of Lightweavers fits in perfectly with the surge table, and Truthwatchers also have the surge of illumination.

I'm not saying she hasn't spent some time on Nalthis, but now we're talking the order of the Lightweavers actually being of Endowment.

Warbreaker spoilers:

This would mean Shalash and Vasher were once married, and that she faked letting Vasher kill her with Nightblood.

Edit: the spoiler tag isn't showing up on my screen. Is that just me? I do not want to ruin the book for anyone. :unsure: I can't see what's wrong with the code . . . :(

Take out the S's :P And CPP was joking.

Remember,

Minor Warkbreaker spoils

Vasher killed Shashara with Nightblood, ain't nobody coming back from that

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Take out the S's :P And CPP was joking.

Remember,

Minor Warkbreaker spoilers

Vasher killed Shashara with Nightblood, ain't nobody coming back from that

While I was joking,

We don't know if Nightblood was fully unsheated when Vasher killed Shashara. If it wasn't, it can't be worst than what happened to Szeth in the WoR original ending

Had he even killed her with Nightblood? He could strangulate her with an awakened shawl, or make his My-life-is-yours-stab-in-the-chest-tactic or just slice her throat.

Either way, he had done it quickly.

Had he even killed her with Nightblood? He could strangulate her with an awakened shawl, or make his My-life-is-yours-stab-in-the-chest-tactic or just slice her throat.

Either way, he had done it quickly.

I see that name has taken hold of someone.

I never took shash as just dangerous but as liar or deceptive which makes sense with Shallash. Illusionist like shallan make lies realty and that fits what Amaran wanted people to think of Kal hes a traitor,deserter, and a liar. What i wonder about is why does Kaladin still have the brand after he starts inhaling stormlight, why does Kaladin think him self a traitor and a liar after he reveles his powers to people he still sees himself as having the shash brand what else does he see him self as a liar for.

I think it's more along the lines of 'My brand is a symbol to me of how lighteyes suck and I can't trust them, therefore I will subconsciously prevent it from healing until I can get over my unresolved issues' rather than anything so specific as Kaladin accepting what the brand means to an outside observer.

I think Kaladin internalizes the brands as symbols of his failures. Remember, he got the Shash brand just before coming to the planes, after the slaves he tried to lead in a revolt were all killed. He also still blames himself for his brother's death. On some level he may beleive that he "deserves" the brands. That may not makes sense to an outside observer, but depression does warp one's thinking.

I agree with the idea that he internalizes the brands and connects them to his failures, but which failure does he connect the brands with? I think his brands may be resolved in his home town, as his original desertion would be from his parents that he left to Roshone and we might learn about tasha though his interactions with Laral.

I agree with the idea that he internalizes the brands and connects them to his failures, but which failure does he connect the brands with? I think his brands may be resolved in his home town, as his original desertion would be from his parents that he left to Roshone and we might learn about tasha though his interactions with Laral.

I believe it actualy internalizes his bitterness against the lighteyes, since he got the brand after a failed slave rebelion he lead, of wich he was the only survivir because his owner spared him fir finding him "intrigating".

But it was a long time since I read, so I could be mistaken.

And I just came up with the theory that that previous owner was member of some secret society ir an Herald and sensed his forming spren bond.

The Sas and Nahn brands were given by Amaram, and he spent pretty much the entire book not being over that. Even after Dalinar entraps Amamram in front of Kaladin, there's still the fact that Amaram just gets to walk away (for the time being, at least). Unlike Dalinar, Kaladin doesn't see Amaram's reputation being broken as any kind of real resolution, and I doubt he'll overcome his perception of being branded by Amaram until he overcomes Amaram.

The Shash mark came later. Even if he's over that final failure that sent him to the Shattered Plains, he might decide to keep that one on purpose. Walking around with "Dangerous" tattooed (well, branded) to your forehead seems kinda pretty frikkin awesome. :)

• Chaos locked this topic