Gaz? (possible spoilers)

Southpaw

The only rub with that theory is that we don't see such a person in WoK.  Brandon indicated the clues were there, not in coming material.

Edit: Yes, I know that we do actually 'see' him in WoK.  But we don't see any indications of his activities.

Same thing here.

But the same thing ocurred in WOT, didn't ? I mean all elements are there to the "attent reader" 

My big problem with DARKNESS "doing the did" is that, in my opinion this is very forced. If he was there he could have said a hello to Kal, Dal and Elhokar. So why Gaz ?

Edited by Natans

Lol I doubt Brandon would endorse the nickname "Blackie"

Whatttt !!!!! But this is a very nice nickname =)

I agree, Kaladin at least appears to have been more conspicuous in his surgebinding capability than Gaz.

I can't think another person with fear, secret agenda, or motive to kill a potential surgebinder, just blackie and the ghostbloods and the first make more sense.

So a refrain to endorse this theory, buttttt I think that Gaz could be on something radiant related, or at least this is my best guess about the case.

=)

Exactly! I mean I like a good redemption once in a while, but Gaz (shudders) I really just want something bad to happen to him. Although if anyone could pull it off it would be Brandon.  :P

Eh...

I wouldn't mind seeing Gaz pull a turnaround.  He's in a bad spot (overseeing the bridge men appears to be the *second* worst position in Sadeas's army - three guesses what the *worst* position is, and the first two guesses don't count :P ), and for whatever reason likely can't get himself out of it.  The people that he associates with all day long are people that he *cannot* under any circumstances afford to get close to because they're probably going to be dead by the end of the month.  And if he screws up in any way, shape, or form, he's a dead man (either executed, or sent to a bridge crew; and ironically Kaladin's the *only* bridge leader that wouldn't try to kill him on the first run).  Stick anyone in that sort of situation, and they'll get run down.  All but the most idealistic would probably be a lot like Gaz after just a year or so.  Enforced cynicism with regard to human life will do that to you.

The big question is what he did to end up there in the first place.  That's what could make or break him as a character who grows to be likeable.

I find it highly unlikely that Gaz will turn out to be a Knight Radiant. He may be alive, and he may have a greater role to play, but I think he is firmly in the villain department with Sadeas and Taravangian. Brandon is still growing as a writer, and I like to think he's getting better at making his villains a bit muddier then they have been in the past. Sadeas isn't as dark as some of his previous villains, and neither is Taravangian or Gaz.

I'm not even sure how you'd blackmail a proto-radiant.  It's not like Gaz currently has a position or reputation to protect.  If someone was threatening to expose his terrifying powers, I see no reason Gaz wouldn't turn said powers against said blackmailer.  

Lets pretend, for a moment, that Gaz is a proto-Windrunner.  For Lamaril to know he has powers, Gaz would have had to use them at least once, which means he probably knows how to use rudimentary lashings.

Lamaril:  Gaz, I know your secret.  Give me four diamond chips every week or I'll tell everyone.

Gaz:  Have you ever wanted to fly, Lamaril?

Lamaril:  Wha....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................................

Gaz:  Look everyone, Lamaril has strange powers.  See?  He's flying.  Looks like he doesn't know how to land though, oops.

I'm not even sure how you'd blackmail a proto-radiant.  It's not like Gaz currently has a position or reputation to protect.  If someone was threatening to expose his terrifying powers, I see no reason Gaz wouldn't turn said powers against said blackmailer.  

Lets pretend, for a moment, that Gaz is a proto-Windrunner.  For Lamaril to know he has powers, Gaz would have had to use them at least once, which means he probably knows how to use rudimentary lashings.

Lamaril:  Gaz, I know your secret.  Give me four diamond chips every week or I'll tell everyone.

Gaz:  Have you ever wanted to fly, Lamaril?

Lamaril:  Wha....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................................

Gaz:  Look everyone, Lamaril has strange powers.  See?  He's flying.  Looks like he doesn't know how to land though, oops.

There I go defend something that I don't really believe =)

Look at Kaladin. He is almost top one MMA fighter of Roshar and even him didn't want anyone discovering his powers.

Gaz could have done a little acidental display of power, nothing spectacular, and that caught the attetion on Lamaril, he panicked and proposed bribes to keep him quiet.

After the fiasco at Gavilar murder, it's possible that the Alethi, after some reseach, are concerned/afraid of surgebinder and showing of strange power is a easy way to ask for trouble, this and tha Ardentia how for sure must have a very bad opinion about the use of "unholy powers"

=)

We had a Gaz POV. If he knew he knew what was going on with whatever he was seeing out of his lost eye I don't think he would have found it nearly as disconcerting as he did. I don't believe that even if Gaz was a recently bonded Surgebinder (which I don't believe) that he would have had any practical control over what was happening to him. He wasn't on speaking terms with his supposed spren from what we saw, he just knew something was off and it scared him. I would agree that whatever he was being blackmailed over was likely of a more mundane nature.

Sorry if this seems a little rude guys, but some people in the Stormlight Archive Forums haven't read all the books in that Other Series. I'm four books in, and don't know if what your talking about is major or not but I'd still rather not stumble upon it here.

Just because something was published long ago doesn't mean everyone has read up to that point in the story. New people are probably still picking up The Eye of The World everyday.

I think it would be a good idea to use spoiler tags when discussing things like this.

Thank you both! I started WoT series years ago, but realized It was going to take many more years for the series to be finished, so I put it down. Now it's on my list to finish. With a series like that, I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to wait until it's finished before they start reading, and even then it can take a long time to finish.

Spoilers for WoT:

The revelation of the killer in the "who killed Asmodean" issue ended up being pretty irrelevant to the overall series. I'm wondering if that's what Brandon meant when he compared Gaz situation to this. Perhaps what happened to Gaz will go away and when we learn what happened it'll be an ehhhh ok cool answer.

We know magic is based of actions/behavior on Roshar.  Kaladin attracted an Honorspren from acting honorably.  How has Gaz been acting, what type of spren might his actions attract?  I want to add more, but I think it comes from spoilers.

cremhole Spren?

Here's the WoB on it, just for reference (a bit hard to hunt down, actually):

Source:

Josep: Just a nagging question: What happened to Gaz? After some character development he just vanishes in chapter 59 without further explanation. Will he be back on the next books?

Brandon: I'm planning for you to find out what happened to Gaz. There are sufficient clues that you can guess. But it is not explicitly stated, and I'm not going to say it's as obvious as Robert Jordan implied Asmodean's killer is. I was tempted to spell it out explicitly, but there wasn't a good place for it. I will probably answer it eventually, maybe in the next book, but until then you are free to theorize. 

So it's less obvious than Asmodean's killer. And they were arguing about it for a decade. Oh joy.

Here's the WoB on it, just for reference (a bit hard to hunt down, actually):

Source:

So it's less obvious than Asmodean's killer. And they were arguing about it for a decade. Oh joy.

Actually, all he says is that he's not going to SAY it's as obvious as the Asmodean thing. Doesn't mean it is less obvious :)

Edited by Southpaw

Spoilers below.

Gaz is Padan Fain.

Stop it. Not everyone has read enough of the Wheel of Time to know who 

Padan Fain

is. You just spoiled the 14 year old introduction to the series. Not cool. Some people are just now old enough to read, so we can't spoil it for them.