New York City, 11/16

Oudeis

RobotAztec: Interesting thought, but air resistance is a different mechanism than friction; otherwise I think we would have seen the effects when Lift goes "awesome." I think the pressure surge would actually be more likely to create the effect you are describing.

Kurkistan: Yes, I saw your question, and was editing my previous post to comment on it earlier today, but got interrupted. Unfortunately, I don't want to ask any questions I don't fully understand (lest I fail to ask a good followup) and most of the time I have no idea what you are talking about  ;) . I don't know the back story behind Windy's handle, but "Bad at Scadrial" sums me up pretty well...lol

Fair enough ;).

Were all of my questions that level of incomprehensible, though? :unsure: The question on Aonic healing is straightforward enough, I think, and I'm actually rather curious on it, as it has implications for how "Cognitive-compliant" AonDor is.

Edited by Kurkistan

I don't know the back story behind Windy's handle, but "Bad at Scadrial" sums me up pretty well...lol

It's kind of a funny story. I was working on a Featured Theories column (which I eventually need to get back to) going through the Realmatic implications of each magic system. And, for some reason, I made the assumption that Ruin's power was what attached a stolen attribute to a spike, kinda like glue. I had Eric (Chaos) read the column over before we posted it, and he, the Hemalurgy master and Lord Ruler, instantly caught my rookie error and dubbed me Bad at Scadrial. It's much more fun than my last member title.

So, I'm making Seons for myself and my friends to carry at the event. Trying to decide which Aons to pick. I've made the blanket decision to stay away from Ashe and Opa, since those are "characters", though I might make myself an Ien, if only because I sorta want to ask why the word for Wisdom heals people, and this would be a nice icebreaker. However, what think you of my other ideas:

Maybe Edo, if only for the simplicity (I have terrible artistic skills). Also, if I'm gonna wander the mean streets of the city that never sleeps, i could do worse than doing so with a servant named Protection.

Aan? Truth, fact. What I want to get out of Mr. Sanderson.

Ial? Helpfulness, aid. Again, hoping the AonDor affects our favorite author and makes him feel more magnanimous.

And of the ones on the Coppermind page and the ones in the Glossary at the end of Elantris, so far that's all I've got. I am open to suggestions. Though truthfully, after a few horribly failed attempts, I assume my friend and I will realize we're terrible at this, and go with Edo and Aon.

Hoid: Does Hoid know how each Shard's magic system works, or does he have to learn them every time he hops to a new world

I Think the wog is that the first story written with hoid as the main character of the story had him on a weird planet a nd he was trynig to figure out how the magic workd on that plnet so from that i would say he doesnt know and itd be a better story that way too so i think we can sy he doesn know

Who was the voice that Sazed heard telling him to use rings when he was fighting ironey

Can awakeners effectively command drabs in conjunction with providing a breath? Only expert awakeners.

Can you do hemalurgy on a tree? Where would the bindpoints on a tree be?

Hoser Put up my other qs in his thread from when he was asking for qs in seattle so if you want a big list of other ones you can pick the ones he didnt ask http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4258-questions-for-seattle-signing-1014/page-2 is hwere it is

From Brandon's new blog post: 

Please note that this event has limited time available for signing. After the three of us offer up some witty expostulation, we’ll be signing for one hour only (because there’s another event scheduled in the venue afterward). For this reason, the event organizers are limiting signings to one book that you bring from home. You can also buy a copy ofSteelheart at the signing and get it signed as well, making a maximum of two books per person (but no other books of mine will be for sale at the event).

Sadface.

The "premium" tickets have sold out, and apparently only a few hours before I tried to get one...grrr. Not sure how many premium tickets they were offering, but it looks like it could be a pretty popular event. Looks like we will only get one, maybe two questions each, if we get any.  Hopefully (and I feel horrible for saying this), there will be individual lines for the 3 authors and most people are coming for the Eragon guy. Ugh...I feel so torn between being thrilling that Brandon is hitting the big time and being sad that that means he has less time for us  :unsure: . Aaand I'm pretty sure that makes me a terrible person.

Due to this, we should definitely try to get a recording device on the table. Unfortunately, that probably means we need the consent of all three authors if they are at the same table. Still, worth a try. Darnam, if you are too squeamish, I have no problem claiming authority I don't have. I'll call myself president of the fan club if that's what it takes!  :D

Darnam: I think you should go with Aon Daa, to use against the security guys trying to hurry us along! Plus it is easy to draw...lol

Windy: Thanks for the story! I figured it was something like that. I honestly have only done one read of the Mistborn books, and man that stuff is complicated!

Kurkistan: No, they weren't all bad! Just a little esoteric for my tastes. Although it is funny that the Aonic healing one is the one I was originally referring to. (yes, I know that is not Scadrial...I'm not THAT bad!)

Edited by askthepaperclip

Man, This forum should have some kind of shirt saying "17th Shard Oficial Member"(with a nice picture of course) or something a long this line .

By my experience when you dress like you are part of a a organization this help a lot to bypass security(is almost magical). And would be nice have a "uniform" to set the sharder apart like a secret organization hahaha =)

Mister Sanderson need a movie or serie launched to make his name hit the media. Paolini did this and even today he gain the benefits of it, and let's be frank his books aren't as good like the ones wrote by Brandon. Rothfuss already was noticed this and he only have wrote two books.

PS:If you have time ask him if Moash is a bastard son of a lighteyes or a son of two lighteyes that borned with darkeyes =)

Edited by Natans

Lol no, he didn't unfortunately! He and Emily had fancy dinner plans :D

It actually wasn't as bad as I expected. There was only 1 cosmere questioned asked/answered during the official Q&A, which was actually asked by Darnam's friend! (for which he was thrown a Steelhunt code from the stage!):

Q: Does time flow at the same speed on all of your Shardworlds?

A: Yes, the Cosmere's time flows, unless it is being manipulated by an outside force, at the same speed.

I was able to get my phone placed next to Brandon for the signing, but they were pushing people through pretty fast, so I don't know how many good questions were asked. I am about to listen to and transcribe the signing, and will post the results in a new thread.

I know that my question did get answered, and I think it was a doozy, but you will have to wait to hear it with the rest of the signing report... :P .

EDIT: OMG Christopher Paolini is loud! He was sitting two chairs down from Brandon and is frequently drowning him out on the recording, even though the phone was RIGHT in front of Brandon!

Edited by askthepaperclip

I just watched the video Brandon linked to and I just want to say, if you watch it, watch James' face expressions! They were the funniest thing. Also Brandon said he pronounced Sazed, Say-zed. I've always said it Sah-zed, so that was new to me. I'll wait anxiously for your q&A, Paperclip.

I just watched the video Brandon linked to and I just want to say, if you watch it, watch James' face expressions! They were the funniest thing. Also Brandon said he pronounced Sazed, Say-zed. I've always said it Sah-zed, so that was new to me. I'll wait anxiously for your q&A, Paperclip.

Yeah, that was my question. I just wrote on the index card: Pronounce this: "Sazed". His answer was a lot longer than I intended, and he admits that he himself pronounces Kelsier wrong.

Brandon mispronounces his names all the time - as he readily admits every time somebody asks him about pronunciation :P

If this is the case, then we may have to consider the posibility that he mispronounced his own name as "Brian", thus leading to the aforementioned "epic fail". :P