What Might Taln Do In WOR? [Speculations]

Guest Alaxel

It's possible Taln doesn't know he was screwed over by the nine other Heralds either. We don't know if they had any contact in between Desolations. He seemed confused that people didn't know who he was and confused as to why they aren't preparing for the Desolation. Perhaps he thought since he is alone upon arriving, the other Heralds were already out and ahead of him in the world (I guess, technically he's right) or he maybe he thinks he's late to the party. Perhaps that's why Hoid calls him his "confused friend," i.e. Hoid is saying, "Sorry, Taln, you're the only one left and you don't even know it."

Yeah. Maybe rather than looking at it from Taln's point of view, we should question what Hoid's purpose was in waiting for Taln at that place.

Hoid might not even have a purpose - though given his increased involvement in The Way of Kings (compared to other books), he might actually want to do something. He could be there for the show - we know (WoB) that he has a knack for showing up at interesting place at the right times.

Eh, Hoid is opposed to Odium. I'm pretty sure he was where he was to assist Taln when he needed it. I'm not sure what assistance he will be rendering, but I'm fairly confident that he intends to do what he can. I'm also fairly certain he didn't travel all the way to Kholinar to annoy the guards at the gate. He had a pretty good gig as Elhokars Wit. Good food, appreciated by the monarch, got to annoy and ridicule the nobles, etc. He risked all of that for a reason.

I think his cameos in past books were designed to prepare us for Hoid using magics not native to Roshar. If we didn't see him in Warbreaker, and he pulls out an awakened sword, people would be like 'What the heck?'. Same goes for his time on Scadrial. We even know for certain what he was after on Scadrial, so when Hoid starts using Ferochemy, or pulls out a bead of Lerasium, we won't be shocked by it.

I think Hoid has actually been pretty influential in previous books behind the scenes, actually.

1. In Elantris, he interacts with Hathran, which might or might not have mattered, and later helps smuggle supplies and weapons into the city.
  2. In Mistborn, he warns Kelsier that Vin attracted undue attention at the ball, thus letting the team react appropriately to keep from drawing too much attention. He also warns Kel that Shan is a Soother, although since she turned out to actually be a full Mistborn that didn't help too much.
  3. In Well Of Ascension, he leads the Terris refugees to the capital, which results in them travelling to the pits, which I think contributed to Demoux and co being there at the critical moment.
  4. He's an informant in Hero Of Ages, and may have had some effect on the actions of the defenders
  5. He tells Siri the official explanation for the God-King's succession, although I don't think that ended up affecting much
  6. He kicks off the entirety of The Emperor's Soul.

He's an informant in Hero Of Ages, and may have had some effect on the actions of the defenders

The informant was actually a different character Brandon wrote as a nod to Tolkien. Hoid was some shady dude Vin noticed on her to (from?) the informant, but decided not to talk to.

I think Hoid has actually been pretty influential in previous books behind the scenes, actually.

1. In Elantris, he interacts with Hathran, which might or might not have mattered, and later helps smuggle supplies and weapons into the city.
  2. In Mistborn, he warns Kelsier that Vin attracted undue attention at the ball, thus letting the team react appropriately to keep from drawing too much attention. He also warns Kel that Shan is a Soother, although since she turned out to actually be a full Mistborn that didn't help too much.
  3. In Well Of Ascension, he leads the Terris refugees to the capital, which results in them travelling to the pits, which I think contributed to Demoux and co being there at the critical moment.
  4. He's an informant in Hero Of Ages, and may have had some effect on the actions of the defenders
  5. He tells Siri the official explanation for the God-King's succession, although I don't think that ended up affecting much
  6. He kicks off the entirety of The Emperor's Soul.

All true, or at least I suppose it is. I didn't realize that Hoid was in TES. The point I was trying to make was that Hoid does have a purpose and that he wasn't just there for the show as Argent suggested was a possibility.

All true, or at least I suppose it is. I didn't realize that Hoid was in TES. The point I was trying to make was that Hoid does have a purpose and that he wasn't just there for the show as Argent suggested was a possibility.

Well strictly speaking Hoid isn't "in" TES.  He is the Imperial Fool who, while he is mentioned a number of times, never actually appears on screen.  In the deleted original prologue he met with Shai while she was in prison.  Hopefully Brandon will release it at some point.

No, I don't believe the beggar Hrathen met was Hoid. This beggar was accompanied by his son - or at least someone young enough to be his son - who apparently knew this man for either his entire life, or long enough to bond with him. No, Hoid was that pretend-beggar who helped Sarene smuggle food and weapons into Elantris.

Edited by Argent

Well, in any event, it seems to me that the Stormlight Archive is going to be a big event in the adventures of Hoid. He's never had more than a passing part in any of the rest of Brandon's Cosmere books. And, as mentioned before, I think opposition to Rayse is probably why he's showing up where he shows up.

I just want to say that I hope Taln gets to do an infodump and saves us from several books of main characters being afraid to talk about whats going on.  However, somehow I doubt Taln will be able to force everyone to sit down and have a KR committee meeting.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say that I hope Taln gets to do an infodump and saves us from several books of main characters being afraid to talk about whats going on.  However, somehow I doubt Taln will be able to force everyone to sit down and have a KR committee meeting.  

Upvote for presenting such a deliciously ridiculous scenario!

• Chaos locked this topic