I told you so!

hoser

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that not every major character will end up a Radiant. We're approaching the "reasonable proportion of magic-users" threshold fairly fast as it is.

Given that Brandon has said that each of the ten books will feature a different Radiant order, it seems possible that many of the 10 "Book POV" characters will be Radiants.  At some point we can use process of elimination on the remaining POV characters to assign them to orders.    The definition of "major character" seems unclear and fluid to me. 

I'd be perfectly fine leaving Lift as our only Edgedancer, I must say. :P

Also, you're a bit off as to what Brandon's said about the books:

Source: (~32:30)

Each of the books, I want to be dedicated to one of the Orders of the Knights Radiant, kind of thematically.

"Thematically" doesn't demand that that Order be "featured." Nor, really, does "featured" demand that that one of the main characters be a member of that Order.

As for definitions of "major character", we should probably start off with the flashback characters and work from there.

Edited by Kurkistan

Surgebinders will have no more than 3 powers, and specifically windrunners will only be able to infuse and perform the 3 lashings as defined in the Ars Arcanum of tWoK. 

YES

Windrunnners have a "Force Push" ability. Yes: Aether, Mailliw73. No: Natans

NO

The Stonewards  have a communication ability (I believe the female knight exercises it in the Starfalls vision, but I don't know if that will ever be confirmed). 

NO

There are 10 different types of spren that give the ability to Surgebind and they are all Splinters. 

YES

Stormriding: is not a regular power of Surgebinding. It's a side-effect of either being a Surgebinder or a Radiant.

Is not a regular power: YES; side-effect of surgebinder/radiant: NO

Riding the storm is the Windrunner special ability.  No other Radiants will be able to do it. 

Windrunner ability: NO, No ther radiants will be able to do it: YES

Szeth is in possession of an Honorblade. 

YES

Shardblades are corrupted by Odium.

YES (not necessary by Odium, but by using them in a non-honourable manner)

Shallan's brother (Nan Heleran?) was the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram back in Alethkar.

YES

Dalinar will be a Stoneward.  We will see his spren in WoR. 

Stoneward: NO. 

Kaladin will wield a Shardspear in WoR. 

NOT in WoR (but he will have one by book 5).

Baxil's mistress is Shallash.

YES

The two Surge-charts were created by Honor and Cultivation and establish the magic system. 

NO, only one of them was created bu H + C. 

The Order images on Cultivation's Surge-chart (woman, big gem, lightning) are images of spren. 

NO

The Order images on Honor's Surge-chart (Radiants) are images of Honorblades.

YES

Voidbringers will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds. 

NO

The Tranquiline Halls and Damnation are both based off of real places in the Physical Realm. More specifically, they are other planets in the Roshar System.

NO

There are no Odium spren.

There is no spren CREATED by Odium.

The Radiants had a plan when they Recreanted that included saving information for their resurrection with the Vanrial.

NO

Urithiru will be found on the main continental land mass of Roshar to the west of Alethela in the physical realm.

NO

Szeth gets his windrunner abilities from his Shardblade.

YES

The parshendi killed Gavilar because "The evil sphere of doom" was a corrupted spren that could create a "voidbringer parshendi form".

NO

Shallarin (Shallan-Renarin shipping) will happen in WoR.

NO

The Ten Fools will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds.

NO

Urithiru will be found on the main continental land mass of Roshar to the west of Alethela in the physical realm.

So I'm curious about this one. If Shallan and Kaladin find Urithiru by locating an Oathgate in the Shattered Plains and travel to a location in Western Roshar, was it discovered in western Roshar? Or was it discovered in eastern Roshar?

Since the Heralds have been alive all this time, I predict that one or more of them had a role in the Knights Radiant disbanding. Probably the darkness dude since he seems dedicated to preventing desolations by preventing the spren-human bond.

Edited by Fistsofrage

I'd be perfectly fine leaving Lift as our only Edgedancer, I must say. :P

Also, you're a bit off as to what Brandon's said about the books:

Source: (~32:30)

"Thematically" doesn't demand that that Order be "featured." Nor, really, does "featured" demand that that one of the main characters be a member of that Order.

As for definitions of "major character", we should probably start off with the flashback characters and work from there.

Thanks Kurkistan,

"One of the main POV characters for the Stormlight Archive will not become a Radiant before the end of the series" seems specific and verifiable to me, so I like it (it even allows for an extra book to sneak in there, if needed) and will be delighted to add it to the list.  Given that Taln and maybe Eshonai will be POV characters, I don't know that it will turn out to be the most controversial claim around.  Is that an acceptable version of the claim you are making or do you have a better idea?

Well, we know that Taln as a Herald can't be a Knight Radiant, and when asked, Brandon said all the Knight Radiants of the past were human. So if both of these persons become main view point characters, then you already have more than one. So I'm just wondering if this is a trick question?

Well, we know that Taln as a Herald can't be a Knight Radiant, and when asked, Brandon said all the Knight Radiants of the past were human. So if both of these persons become main view point characters, then you already have more than one. So I'm just wondering if this is a trick question?

Not really.  I'm just suggesting that in order for it to be gutsy claim, Kurkistan might want to say that 3 or 4 of the POV characters will not become Radiants. 

I am doing my best not for filter these claims for anything but clarity, specificity and verifiability.  My judgments interfere with my ability to serve.

Edited by hoser

I wasn't really trying to make a positive claim, but okay:

More of the main POV characters than you'd expect will not become KR. ;)

-GUTSY Version: Fewer (inclusive) than half of the POV characters will become Radiants.

I wasn't really trying to make a positive claim, but okay:

More of the main POV characters than you'd expect will not become KR. ;)

-GUTSY Version: Fewer (inclusive) than half of the POV characters will become Radiants.

You decide how gutsy you want to be.  Specificity is necessary for verifiability.  Only the gutsy version above seems verifiable to me.  I will add any verifiable non-spoiler claim (please don't try to test this claim) to the OP.  I do think "No more than half of the POV characters ..." is slightly more understandable for inarticulate clods like myself. 

More characters than you would expect will become Knights Radiant.

Then, during the Desolation, manybmore of our beloved characters than expected will perish.

ATTN: Kurkistan.

If Szeth isn't the POV Character who dies before his flashback sequence, I will purchase the next Stormlight Archive book and carry it around with me everywhere I go for 24 hours without even opening the book.

How about that for an 'all in' kind of prediction. That's a cruel, cruel punishment I devised.

More characters than you would expect will become Knights Radiant.

Then, during the Desolation, manybmore of our beloved characters than expected will perish.

ATTN: Kurkistan.

If Szeth isn't the POV Character who dies before his flashback sequence, I will purchase the next Stormlight Archive book and carry it around with me everywhere I go for 24 hours without even opening the book.

How about that for an 'all in' kind of prediction. That's a cruel, cruel punishment I devised.

I love the masochism (does that make me a sadist?), but these claims do not seem verifiable to me without clarity about what one expects and what are beloved. 

For the first you could just state no to Kurkistan's claim. 

For the second you could name characters or state it in terms of the POV characters, eg. "Seven of the following ten characters will die during the desolation: Dalinar, Szeth ...." 

Does that make sense to you?

Edited by hoser

I may as well add one:

Bondsmiths are Order 10.

There's no way that an order named "Bondsmiths" does not have the Pressure Surge, which is used to bind things together. Furthermore, Syl is an honorspren and claims she 'binds' things. Order 10 spren will be close to Order 1 spren.

“I bind things, Kaladin,” she said, turning and meeting his eyes. “I am honorspren. Spirit of oaths. Of promises. And of nobility.”

Divine Attributes aren't going to describe the Order, unless anyone thinks that Windrunners and protecting/leading go together or the word Edgedancer is related to loving/healing.

In summary: I will eat a hat if Bondsmiths are not Order 10.

Edited by Moogle