Dalinar's Order

Mailliw73

Dalinar's Order  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Order of KR do you think Dalinar belongs to?

• Order #8 (Possibly Bondsmiths)
    • Stonewards
    • Something else entirely
    • Dustbringer
    • Skybreaker
    • Order #10 (Probably Bondsmiths)

I'm afraid 'dems are fightin' words.

Kalak's order has Transportation. What does Transportation have to do with a Bondsmith? Nothing, I say! Bondsmiths are clearly Order 10, which has Pressure (which Szeth and Kaladin use to bind things) and Surface Tension (which can be used to make cloth rock-hard or something?). 

Also, this appears to confirm Dalinar as a Radiant. :(

Ha, I actually voted for Dalinar as an Order #10 Bondsmith at the top of this thread - the builder-like language just got me feeling a little less sure. Hopefully Dalinar will start showing some powers (maybe a spren? ohpleaseyesaspren) in WoR and help us out on this point.

Thank god this stoneward thing can end now. Now, Adolin...

I'm actually hoping Adolin won't get any powers. Looking at it from a certain perspective, it could be a great character conflict. He's the greatest duelist in all the warcamps from what we understand, master of the Plate and Blade. But now, one of his cousins is a Radiant and the other is showing signs that he's on his way. If what we've theorized is correct, Adolin's father is on his way to becoming a Bondsmith, and Renarin may also be on his way to Radianthood if the spren he sees is a type of bonding spren. That's basically all of his immediate family aside from Navani. Assuming all of this comes out at some point or another, how will Adolin deal with this all of this? From one of the most powerful to unimportant, overlooked. I'd love to see that conflict.

I'm actually hoping Adolin won't get any powers. Looking at it from a certain perspective, it could be a great character conflict. He's the greatest duelist in all the warcamps from what we understand, master of the Plate and Blade. But now, one of his cousins is a Radiant and the other is showing signs that he's on his way. If what we've theorized is correct, Adolin's father is on his way to becoming a Bondsmith, and Renarin may also be on his way to Radianthood if the spren he sees is a type of bonding spren. That's basically all of his immediate family aside from Navani. Assuming all of this comes out at some point or another, how will Adolin deal with this all of this? From one of the most powerful to unimportant, overlooked. I'd love to see that conflict.

Well, given that bonding comes from how people act, Adolin not bonding would basically just mean he is not good enough :)

Not honourable enough, not leading enough, not .... enough.

This means that he will either basically not do anything of importance in the book.

That would be a shame, just keeping him around to be a moaner (oh, my dad has powers, oh, my bro has powers, oh why don't I have powers....).

Also, given that in his vision the KR told Dalinar to go to Urithiru, train, even if he could not guarantee entering KR ranks, means to me that there is (was) something like a candidature process, if diplomatic relations can be established with The Ring for example.

The existing KR could propose candidates to The Ring, and they vote and decide...

Something like that.

Well, given that bonding comes from how people act, Adolin not bonding would basically just mean he is not good enough :)

Not honourable enough, not leading enough, not .... enough.

This means that he will either basically not do anything of importance in the book.

That would be a shame, just keeping him around to be a moaner (oh, my dad has powers, oh, my bro has powers, oh why don't I have powers....).

I disagree with just about all of this. We really don't know enough about spren to speculate too far on why or why not they choose to bond with someone. Surely Kaladin is not the only person since the Recreance who is good enough to be a Windrunner? That rings false in my book. Nohadon wrote the Way of Kings, and we've received no indication that he had any abilities. (He wouldn't have belonged to an order, as he predates them)

Also, I think you're looking at this in a very pessimistic light. If there's one thing that Brandon's shown us in his writing, it's the ability of the powerless or underpowered individual to make an enormous difference. Spook and Dox are great examples of this. Little or no useful battle skills, yet the world would have surely fallen without them. It's a challenge like any other. Adolin doesn't have to become a moaner. I'd like to think that he's better than that, or would become better than that. Coming to terms with his identity as the only normal person in a family chocked full of Surgebinders would be a great character arc. Sure he'd probably spend some time in self-pity. But if we're complaining about moaners, Kaladin spent quite a bit of book one moaning about people he failed to save, and I still loved the book. And if Adolin takes a darker path when confronted with his own unimportance, I'm sure it will be equally fascinating, if more painful.

Agreed with Windy on this too.

I think Adolin is potentially a much stronger character if he does not get powers. There are so many directions he can go...

Speculating for a moment or two:

Adolin watches all the remainder of his family develop abilities and tries very hard to emulate them to get his own. However his desire for power means that the spren are not attracted to him. At the same time he is unwilling to give up his shards so spren are even less attracted to him.

Maybe he deals with this an finds worth in himself without surgebinding...

Maybe he doesn't deal with it and goes looking for other sources of power with dire consequences...

Either way, Adolin becoming a surgebinder / Radiant is the least narratively interesting direction in my opinion.

Then again, this is Brandon, I am sure he has some big plans for Adolin and I am also sure they will be awesome. 

Eh...

I think the "no powers for Adolin!" option would be a waste of his potential.  The guy is apparently an *insanely* good duelist, and the only reason that this isn't obvious to the entire Alethi nation is because he's intentionally withheld his abilities in accordance with his father's wishes.  He's also started to finally come around to his father's point of view.  And you want to waste him by having him be "that guy" who gets jealous because everyone around him is developing cool super powers and he isn't?

What a waste...

There's nothing wrong with making him wait a while to develop them.  We've got nine more volumes to work through.  But not giving him anything special would be a waste of his potential, imo.

Further, if some of our speculation about The Way of Kings being the guidebook for Knights Radiant is correct...  Adolin is one of the two people that we know of who actually *gets* it at the end of TWOK.

Eh...

I think the "no powers for Adolin!" option would be a waste of his potential. The guy is apparently an *insanely* good duelist, and the only reason that this isn't obvious to the entire Alethi nation is because he's intentionally withheld his abilities in accordance with his father's wishes. He's also started to finally come around to his father's point of view. And you want to waste him by having him be "that guy" who gets jealous because everyone around him is developing cool super powers and he isn't?

What a waste...

There's nothing wrong with making him wait a while to develop them. We've got nine more volumes to work through. But not giving him anything special would be a waste of his potential, imo.

Further, if some of our speculation about The Way of Kings being the guidebook for Knights Radiant is correct... Adolin is one of the two people that we know of who actually *gets* it at the end of TWOK.

*cofcof * 4 volumes not nine. BS said that this serie would be composed of two sagas of five books, the second one with another cast and some cameos of the characters of the firstks, likely the imortal ones =)

Edited by Natans

Eh...

I think the "no powers for Adolin!" option would be a waste of his potential.  The guy is apparently an *insanely* good duelist, and the only reason that this isn't obvious to the entire Alethi nation is because he's intentionally withheld his abilities in accordance with his father's wishes.  He's also started to finally come around to his father's point of view.  And you want to waste him by having him be "that guy" who gets jealous because everyone around him is developing cool super powers and he isn't?

I agree.  He was exemplary in the courtesan episode (except for "bridgeboy") and has shown the ability to grow and change.  Furthermore, for me, Gawyn was absolutely miserable to read in the Wheel of Time series.  Please spare me another jealous fool that consistently makes all the wrong choices. 

Edited by hoser

Eh...

What a waste...

There's nothing wrong with making him wait a while to develop them.  We've got nine more volumes to work through.  But not giving him anything special would be a waste of his potential, imo.

Further, if some of our speculation about The Way of Kings being the guidebook for Knights Radiant is correct...  Adolin is one of the two people that we know of who actually *gets* it at the end of TWOK.

Or he can be the slightly morally dodgy but insanely skilled and lovable badass who can beat overconfident surgebinders using his superior skill with the Blade and Plate. Plate practically already is superpowers, so he can still be one mean mutha without the ability to send people falling upwards into blue eternity or fall from an approximately equal distance without armour.

Personally I'm with Junior and hoser on this. I will be dissappointed if Adolin ends up not being a KR, and I think it would be a waste. A lot like Gawyn from the Wheel of Time. His character made me so mad every time I read it, and he never changed throughout the whole series. I get the impression from some people's posts here that the main reason they don't want Addolin to become a surgebinder is because they want Renarin to be one so he can be better than his brother. Me, I'd love to see Adolin and Renarin working together as a team fighting in tandem like how he does with Dalinar, or even the three of them fighting together like in the Starfalls vision.

Sure Adolin is unstopable against Parshendi or regular footmen, and the same in one on one duels, but I strongly suspect that we're going to see them coming up against true voidbinders and creatures that are WAY more powerful than even a full Alethi shardbearer. And the fights won't be one on one. I'd like to see all the Kholins working together to unite the people of Roshar, reform the Knights Radiant, and be ready to stand against the Everstorm.

Exactly because he has amazing skills is why I don't think he should be a KR. He is good enough without it, while Renarin might not ever feel worth anything without it.

Uh Kaladin is an amazing spearbearer but he still has KR skills. Your idea isn't very well supported and seems to be focused on balancing out Renarin for some reason. Renarin's gonna be doing his own sword training soon so he might show some *amazing* skills as well. Too early to decide that Renarin won't have great fighting skills.

And I hated Gawyn povs, and I'd rather that this series didn't emulate WoT. WoT had it's high points and it's low points, and thankfully it's done so let's move on to something new.

Edited by Fistsofrage

*cofcof * 4 volumes not nine. BS said that this serie would be composed of two sagas of five books, the second one with another cast and some cameos of the characters of the firstks, likely the imortal ones =)

Uh, what? Where did he say that about the cast of the second set of five?

Some of us here at 17th shard have oracular dreams of Brandon dispensing holy spoilers upon us. They're generally considered canon unless they directly contradict the books, in which case we release agents internationally to correct all printed copies and a virus to correct the ebooks. If Obama ever starts reading Elantris at a speech, you'll know one of the Keepers of the Code uncommented the infect_whitehouse lines. You don't want to know what we call the bit that inscribes the full text of TES on Antarctica using the world's supply of nuclear bombs.

Some of us here at 17th shard have oracular dreams of Brandon dispensing holy spoilers upon us. They're generally considered canon unless they directly contradict the books, in which case we release agents internationally to correct all printed copies and a virus to correct the ebooks. If Obama ever starts reading Elantris at a speech, you'll know one of the Keepers of the Code uncommented the infect_whitehouse lines. You don't want to know what we call the bit that inscribes the full text of TES on Antarctica using the world's supply of nuclear bombs.

...lol...

Mr. Peter a really tried find the interview/signing where I "think" that saw that, but now I believe I'm wrong.  Thanks to clarify this to me, you already correct me 2 or 3 times and is very good to know that you care enough to correct random user in the forum as me . My sincerelly respects.

And to try redemn myself  here the prove that I'm wrong (another time) =)

BRANDON SANDERSON

Most of the main POV characters have been introduced. Each book will take one major character (Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, Jasnah, Shallan, Navani, Szeth, Taln) and give them 'flashback' sequences in the same way Kaladin got flashbacks in the first book. There are some open spots for which I'm toying with other characters being used.

Other characters will get viewpoints now and then, but I feel that one of the ways that big series get off track is by changing the focus to side characters. (Note that I will continue doing the Interludes to give some other voices and perspectives screen time. Few of these will be main characters.)

QUESTION
What’s the status of the second book of the Stormlight Archive?
BRANDON SANDERSON
I will be going right into that as soon as I finish A Memory of Light. I have it outlined, I have decided whose book it will be, each of the Stormlight books will have a focal character who gets flashbacks. It’s going to be Shallan’s book. So the first major cycle of the Stormlight Archive is looking like it’s going to be Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Navani, and Dalinar as the five book arc. And if you haven’t heard, I’m doing it in two 5-book arcs, so the first 5 books should wrap a lot of things up and whatnot. And I might even stop then and do like an Elantris sequel and things like that, and then start the second 5-book arc. So I will do that immediately, I’m actually planning to do that and have it out, it probably won’t be next year, it’ll probably be the following spring, but it’s a little over a year away. I’ve got it all outlined, so it should be...I’ve done a lot of work on it, I just haven’t written it.

ZXG15

Asked him for more info on what he meant when he said that Stormlight will be organized as two 5-book series within the total 10 books.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Understandably he didn't want to give much away, he wouldn't say if there would be a time skip or not. He did tell me that there would be a large change in tone between books 1-5 and 6-10. Also, he said that since book 2 is now going to be Shallan's, he wants Dalinar's book to be number 5. He then talked about how the 5 characters that were introduced in depth in Way of Kings would be the the 5 flashback characters for the first 5 books and the others would be more focused on in the final 5 books.

Hey, Natans, are you sure about Navani's flashback book? I have always seen and heard that it was Eshonai's.

Sorry but i don't know. I think that even Brandon aren't 100% certain of what are gonna be the all the flashback books and in what order. Peter said in another topic that until the book is released nothing is certain, so you can be correct there is plenty of interview with many lists of flashbacks characters i don't know what are the correct one.  =)

Edited by Natans

Kurkistan located this quote in another thread

Gandemort:

You've mentioned that the stormlight archive is broken down into two sets of five books. Is the story arch of the second set of books going to be completely different than the story in the first 5 books?

mistborn:

It will focus mostly on different characters, with some appearances by characters from the first five. I wouldn't call it a different story, more a sequel.

Sorry but i don't know. I think that even Brandon aren't 100% certain of what are gonna be the all the flashback books and in what order. Peter said in another topic that until the book is released nothing is certain, so you can be correct there is plenty of interview with many lists of flashbacks characters i don't know what are the correct one.  =)

Eshonai is now the book four flashback character. Brandon feels now that Navani may not need a flashback sequence, as hers and Dalinar's stories have a lot to do with one another.