Dalinar's Order

Mailliw73

Dalinar's Order  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Order of KR do you think Dalinar belongs to?

• Order #8 (Possibly Bondsmiths)
    • Stonewards
    • Something else entirely
    • Dustbringer
    • Skybreaker
    • Order #10 (Probably Bondsmiths)

It's more the attributes rather than the powers, but I just checked and Ethrien and I made an error. The Skybreakers' attributes are learned/giving not just/confident. I just followed his list but now checking realized that just/confident are Palah's order. I think those attributes fit him well, but that even less likely in my opinion that Dalinar will have Illumination and Growth. I'm changing that one to Dustbringer with Brave/Obedient, he is very much both of those.

Edit:Windrunner corrected me, the typo was in TWoK not in Ethrien's post. Sorry, Ethrien.

Edited by Mailliw73

It's more the attributes rather than the powers, but I just checked and Ethrien and I made an error. The Skybreakers' attributes are learned/giving not just/confident. I just followed his list but now checking realized that just/confident are Palah's order. I think those attributes fit him well, but that even less likely in my opinion that Dalinar will have Illumination and Growth. I'm changing that one to Dustbringer with Brave/Obedient, he is very much both of those.

Ethrien did not make an error. That's a typo in TWoK. The attributes associated with Nalan are indeed just/confident.

Skybreaker? That's even more crazy than wind runner :)

Do you see dalinar lashing and flying?

I don't believe that I saw Kaladin lashing till about a year after his bond began to form. He still isn't very good at it. We still haven't see Kaladin flying, though his Order was capable of doing so.

If the crisis theory is correct, and I don't think it necessarily has to apply, we don't know Jasnahs story after all. Then Dalinars conflict could be with his ability to lead confidently and justly as easily as anything else.

I do not believe Dalinar has yet attracted a spren due to him carrying a shardblade (we know Syl's reaction was negative toward's it)

The presumption that has been floating around for quite a while that spren avoid people with Shards has been proven wrong. This would have occurred sooner, but for the debate about whether or not Cryptics were bonding spren. Now that Cryptics have been confirmed to be bonding spren by WoB, we can put to rest the theory that no bonding spren will bond to a Shardbearer. Shallan has a Shardblade, and she has been bonded. I don't doubt that some spren types will avoid Shardbearers, but this is not an absolute. A bond can and has been made with a Shardbearer.

The fact that Dalinar uses his Shardblade so much more often than Shallan remains, however. Spren are Cognitive/Physical creatures. Shardblades, if recent theories are on the right track, are Spiritual/Physical. So if Shallan keeps her Blade away, spren would take no issue with her. Moreover, we don't know whether all spren experience the same level of dislike towards Shardblades as Syl. Maybe only honorspren are disgusted by it. Maybe Syl, as an individual, is.

Speaking of Dalinar and stone, one of the things that bothered me when I read the book last was that during the Chasm Fiend hunt, just before they saw it, the ground shook and Dalinar thought 'earthquake?'

Roshar is Seismically inactive, so where the heck did he get the word earthquake? Rockslide I could see, asking if a building collapsed, etc. but earthquake?

Definitely Stoneward ;)

PS: I voted Skybreaker

Edited by Gloom

Well, I did not vote because we don't know exactly what a bondsmith is :)

But I do think he is going to be order #10, if he is to become a KR.

Let's not forget that he might be the one dead before his book, and it would be easier to die if he was not a KR.

The fact that he is following the codes does not make him obedient :) since he will make everyone follow the codes, then they will all be in the same order because they are obedient? :))

While he does exhibit many attributes - including just and confident - I see him having conflict both with pious - because of the visions - and guiding - because he wants to relinquish leadership. From others orders, he has conflict with one or none.

While it might be that the reason he has not been bonded was the shard blade and not the lack of attributes, it would make a lot of sense to me to be #10. You can pick any soldier to be brave and obedient. Who can you think of being pious and guiding?

PS - if an unbonded person thinks earthquake when the earth shakes because of a giant animal, it does not mean he will be a stonewarden.

Wait, what? Someone's supposed to die before their own book?! I never heard that piece of info before.

He doesn't really make everyone follow the Codes. Even if he did, that's not really obedience, that's doing something to not get in trouble. He's the only one who follows the codes because they should.

I do like the conflict theory, but I don't think it really has to be a requirement.

I updated the poll's options.

Obedience is when you follow something even if you don't believe it. You obey.

BS reordered the books (dalinar's was supposed to be book 2, now is book 5) and said that even if dalinar's book is 5, it does not mean that he will survive until then, similar for szeth, his book being #3. Since his book was actually pushed to #3 instead if #4, I think that it's dalinar the one to die. Probably in book 3, szeth's.

Oh that's interesting, I didn't know that. I so hope Dalinar doesn't die, but I also know that he is a prime choice for one of the standard Sanderson-main-character-death.

I think real obedience is where you choose to obey, whether or not that's the true definition.

Wait, what? Someone's supposed to die before their own book?! I never heard that piece of info before.

We don't know that. Brandon did, however, say multiple times that even if a character (e.g. Dalinar) is the flashback character of a certain book (e.g. #5), it doesn't mean that he will survive until that book. In other words, Kaladin can die in Words of Radiance, but Book #10 could feature his second set of flashback chapters. 

That would be something.... poor Syl...

The ting is, if Kaladin dies, Syl will be gone too... that's too many "main" characters :)

So an unbounded Dalinar would make more sense... of course, after he translates all the visions to Navani (poor Navani).

No matter how you look at it, the Szeth - Kaladin encounter will be damaging. Of course, unless they are interrupted by a voidbringer :P

Just like it makes sense for Ym to die... we don't want Darkness to miss all his targets now, and we like Lift too much ;)

Edited by marianmi

Please edit the last line of the above post to remove WoR spoilers.

This is one of the reasons why a lot people feel that if a focus character is going to die early on and still have flashbacks later, it would almost have to be either Dalinar or Szeth. I'm of the opinion that Kaladin is too central to the story at the moment to kill. It would be like killing off Luke Skywalker ten minutes into The Empire Strikes Back and expecting Han Solo to carry the film.

That would be something.... poor Syl...

The ting is, if Kaladin dies, Syl will be gone too... that's too many "main" characters :)

So an unbounded Dalinar would make more sense... of course, after he translates all the visions to Navani (poor Navani).

No matter how you look at it, the Szeth - Kaladin encounter will be damaging. Of course, unless they are interrupted by a voidbringer :P

Just like it makes sense for Ym to die... we don't want Darkness to miss all his targets now, and we like Lift too much ;)

I would really put that last bit about Ym in spoiler tags since that is super spoilery.  If you want to discuss WoR stuff in the main stormlight forum stuff like that needs to be in spoiler tags out of respect for those who don't want to be spoiled.  Even if it is just an off-hand reference.

• 1 month later...

I have maintained for some time that Dalinar is/will be in order 8 (resolute/builder). I will continue to maintain this until I turn blue in the face, or until proven wrong.

As somebody noted on the other thread, our potential Radiants seem to all have conflicts over their Order's defining traits, Kaladin with leadership, Shallan with honesty, etc. Dalinar's conflict in book 1 was all about his lack of certainty.

The new WoR jacket flap text (link, with a nod to grundle pointing it out) provides some nice hints that Dalinar is a Bondsmith and uses the world 'rebuild' that sounds soooo Order #8/Kalak.

I'm afraid 'dems are fightin' words.

Kalak's order has Transportation. What does Transportation have to do with a Bondsmith? Nothing, I say! Bondsmiths are clearly Order 10, which has Pressure (which Szeth and Kaladin use to bind things) and Surface Tension (which can be used to make cloth rock-hard or something?). 

Also, this appears to confirm Dalinar as a Radiant. :(