Kingkiller Chronicle

Chaos

I'm currently on my 4th reread of both books. A record for me. Although I've read the mist born trilogy and both stormilght archive books 3 times each and will probably read them again some time soon. The difference between these stories and others I've read recently is no matter how many times I read them they suck me from my world and into there's which for is what reading is all about. The stormilght archives just makes more sense the second time round and even more on the third.

I'm currently on my 4th reread of both books. A record for me. Although I've read the mist born trilogy and both stormilght archive books 3 times each and will probably read them again some time soon. The difference between these stories and others I've read recently is no matter how many times I read them they suck me from my world and into there's which for is what reading is all about. The stormilght archives just makes more sense the second time round and even more on the third.

This is the story of my life.....I know exactly what you mean!!!

I have read Mistborn 3 times and thought it was good but i have read Way of Kings seven Times and WOR six times this is my favorite Cosmere series by far the world just comes alive and it is completely compelling.

Each reread you just pick up little things that make you go OOHHHHHH! Why didn't i see that.

Though to be hones Pat and Brandon are masters of subtlety, i always have a hard time finding books i like after finishing one of their series as nothing i have found can really compare....

My guess is older, at least in "non fae" time. It is weird though. chronicler attends the school after Quothe has already been expelled, but he is already a famed author by Quothe's first day there: Quothe encounters a copy of "Mating Habbits of the Common Dracus" the very first time he enters the archives.

I wonder if anyone has thought that maybe 'Haliax' is the ever present "penitent king" in times of interlude? Or whomever is trapped behind the doors of stone. There's obviously Been a change of separation between the fae realm and and the mortal world. Scrail running free, bast residing within the mortal world.

I have a question. Is Chronicler older or younger than Kvothe? Think about it.

This is an important point that people pass over too quickly.

The Chronicler had already produced litertary works long before Kvothe attended the university, "Mating Habits of the Common Dracus", but also mentions he has heard of Kvothe lengendary exploits at the university when The Chronicler was there. Suggesting that The Chronicler has been present at the university both before and after Kvothe's attendance.

The Chronicler's age and appearance are not heavily described. He is portrayed as being rather plain and ordinary.

The Chronicler can Name iron. Strange for a writer wouldn't you say? This suggests that he has studied either under Elodin or the previous Master Namer.

The Chronicler is on speaking terms with the mysterious Skarpi.

Bast, in a moment of utter incompetence, leaks Kvothe's whereabouts to the world for the usual misguided fae reasoning. But out of all the people to find the Waystone Inn first, out of all Kvothe's enemies (Chandrian, Pennitent King, various Fae judging from the attack of the skin dancer, presumably bounty hunters as Kvothe is a wanted man) a humble writer with no more resources than a horse and expensive ink and paper, finds Kvothe first? Coincidence? I think Patrick Rothfuss is too good of a writer to lean on coincidence.

Everything points to The Chronicler actually being a far more important part of the story than first suggested, with access to a huge amount of resources and a method of hearing rumours almost as quick as the Chandrian and Skarpi. 

But what a fantastic series it is.The second book was meandering and left a lot of loose ends, but I hope the third (and final?) installment manages to tie it all up.  

In my opinion, Patrick Rothfuss is the most gifted fantast writer at the moment. Take away the worldbuilding, productivity and originality, and Patrick Rothfuss' prose could make a Telephone Directory read like a novel. He is far more skilled with words than Brandon Sanderson, but Brandon beats him in other areas.  

Ardent described it as Brandon creating a window for us to look through into another world were as Rothfuss creates the world around you. It stroll true for me anyway. Both incredibly gifted in there own right.

We know that Chronicler did study under Elodin, who referred to him as an "inky little twat" in which Chronicler agrees. But he also says that came across the name of iron by accident which is hard to believe given the complexity of naming. Maybe Chronicler does have a much greater role to play sinister or otherwise. The lack of enemies doesn't surprise as apart from Bast leaking a little rumour, Kvothe has been quite careful since faking his death and completely submerging himself into being Kote.

I found something interesting.

In KingKiller Chronicles World there are eight types of magic, 

What do you think the last two are?

Arcanist's Arts.

1.Sympathy-whereby a sympathist uses strength of will to usurp the laws of physics and manipulate energy.

2.Sygaldry -whereby an artificer uses runes and delicate metalwork to create items capable of amazing feats.

3.Alchemy-whereby an alchemist uses principles to concoct potions which can produce any manner of results.

4.Naming-whereby a namer can invoke a True Name he has learned and command the named thing to behave as he wills.

Fae Arts

5.Grammarie- The art of making things be.

6.Glammourie- The art of making things seem.

Other.??

7. ?? (Rothfuss says it receives a "whisper of a mention" in the books)

8. ?? (Rothfuss says it has yet to be revealed)

I found something interesting.

In KingKiller Chronicles World there are eight types of magic, 

What do you think the last two are?

Arcanist's Arts.

1.Sympathy-whereby a sympathist uses strength of will to usurp the laws of physics and manipulate energy.

2.Sygaldry -whereby an artificer uses runes and delicate metalwork to create items capable of amazing feats.

3.Alchemy-whereby an alchemist uses principles to concoct potions which can produce any manner of results.

4.Naming-whereby a namer can invoke a True Name he has learned and command the named thing to behave as he wills.

Fae Arts

5.Grammarie- The art of making things be.

6.Glammourie- The art of making things seem.

Other.??

7. ?? (Rothfuss says it receives a "whisper of a mention" in the books)

8. ?? (Rothfuss says it has yet to be revealed)

Yllish knots. Well maybe not exactly that the knots are magic, but a form of magic where writing something down and reading it, makes it real. A form of shaping.

Denna breifly mentions this type of magic but if I recall correctly, Kvothe dismisses it and the subject moves on. The Kingkiller Chronicles as a whole has a loose theme about the importance, power and danager of story's and trading such story's. The Chandrian try and erase records of story's that are not to their liking. We have several huge passages that tell the same story but a different version of events. Telhu and Encanis, Jax and the moon, Lanre, Iax, Amyr and Alephi.  There a so many versions, each storyteller claiming theirs is the correct version. 

Wild theory:

This is one area where I think The Chronicler could be important. Could his documentation shape the events, make them real? So if Kvothe is lying in parts of his story, which a lot of theories suspect he is, then it doesn't matter because The Chronicler's record would make it real. Kvothe is essentially writing his own story.  This is the only theory I have which could possibly counteract the effect of of Ctheah (however it is spelt lol).

The Chronicler doesn't even have to be magic. The magic is the people who read it. If enough people read and believe a story, then the story beomes real. Again think about how many people tell story's of Lanre, the Chandrian and Tablorin the Great. Even Kvothe has become a legend. Maybe the story that the world beleives, becomes the real version of events.

Kvothe knows that The Chronicler is a garunteed bestselling author, and this story will most likely end up in Tomes at the university. He is deliberately reshaping his life, making it close to the truth but with enough changes to create a different outcome if everyone beleives his life story.

If this is true, Skarpi becomes an incredibly powerful character, being the keeper of all story's.

Crackpot theory, but it would be a cool twist if The Chronicler revealed that the Mating Habits of the Common Dracus was infact a work of fiction. The came into existance through people genuinly believing such a well written book. He was just as shocked as anybody else at their actual discovery.

I'm fairly certain thats one magic anyway. The other i'm not sure on.

A fair bet would be some form of music.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man when is The Doors of Stone coming out? I should probably read this thread (or actually re-read the first two but that's not too likely) to refresh my memory. Oooh and I really want to check out that book about Auri that came out.

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite sure where to put this so any more, feel free to move it if necessary.

Just picked up Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, and wanted to know what people thought of it, from a sanderfan's perspective. Just wanted to know how it would compare to Brandon's works, and if you guys think it's a worthwhile purchase.

I do know that this isn't really Brandon related, and maybe shouldn't even be on the forums, but I wasn't really sure where else to go.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things sucked though.

I have to disagree with this wholeheartedly.  Slow Regard is fantastic.  there isn't a whole lot of action, but it is a wonderful study into Auri's life and her character.

The Lightning Tree is also great, providing a similar thing for Bast.  Though a day in the life of Bast is probably more interesting to the average reader than a week in Auri's.  personally, I think both Slow Regard and Lightning Tree are better than the actual main series books, primarily because Bast and Auri are more interesting than Kvothe,

Haven't read the Lightning Tree and I probably won't bother. I guess I was expecting a description of how Auri came to be. I could have gotten a pretty good glimpse of a crazy person that has OCD, moves furniture around, and makes soap in a 10th of the pages though. I wasn't even rewarded with anything interesting happening after suffering through the whole book - nothing.

And then Patrick Rothfuss knew this wasn't worth publishing! He told you it was not a good book in the beginning, and I went into it with low expectations - it didn't even meet those. Then, at the end of the book, he has the audacity to say <censored> those people that don't like his book! No, <censored> you Patrick Rothfuss! I'm the paying customer that won't bother to read you books anymore if you keep writing crap. When day 3 comes out, I'm waiting for the reviews before buying it. He should have made this book free.

Edit: I know I sound angry, but it's not directed at you. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Edited by navybrandt

Not quite sure where to put this so any more, feel free to move it if necessary.

Just picked up Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, and wanted to know what people thought of it, from a sanderfan's perspective. Just wanted to know how it would compare to Brandon's works, and if you guys think it's a worthwhile purchase.

I do know that this isn't really Brandon related, and maybe shouldn't even be on the forums, but I wasn't really sure where else to go.

If I were you, I'd wait until there's a definitive release date for Doors of Stone. Rothfuss writes at about the same rate as GRRM and Kingkiller is a much smaller story than A Song of Ice and Fire. Goodreads shows the release date for book three as mid 2017, but it's been pushed, I think, twice already.

That said, I think it's a pretty good series. Definitely worth reading.

@navybrant, the thing about The Slow Regard of Silent Things is that it's not a normal book. That is what Pat tells you in it - not that it wasn't worth publishing. It just requires a very specific audience. Being angry or disappointed that  you are not part of that audience is fruitless. It takes a special kind of person - not special good or special bad, just special - to enjoy Auri's broken mind, If you don't you don't, and there is nothing wrong with that - but there isn't anything wrong with the book or the author either. I personally am not the right audience for it either, but I found it a curious read nonetheless. A character study of a very atypical character. Others - and it looks like most of those others are people who have had some kind of traumatic event in the past, or feel perpetually left out, or see themselves as broken somehow - relate very strongly with Auri. And you can't take that away from them - it's their book. It's something Pat has done for them - and himself, - and it's just not fair to expect that all his efforts should go towards pleasing as many people as possible.

@cem, Goodreads estimates release dates until an official one is announced. Unless the page gives you an exact date, it could be wrong.

@cem, Goodreads estimates release dates until an official one is announced. Unless the page gives you an exact date, it could be wrong.

Yep, I know. What I meant was until the author or the publisher announces a release date, the release dates on the internet shouldn't be trusted. Few years ago, there were rumors that it would be out this year, then Rothfuss said that wasn't going to happen and Goodreads editor pushed the date to 2016. And then again to 2017. There is no telling when it will be out at this point.

@navybrant, the thing about The Slow Regard of Silent Things is that it's not a normal book. That is what Pat tells you in it - not that it wasn't worth publishing. It just requires a very specific audience. Being angry or disappointed that  you are not part of that audience is fruitless. It takes a special kind of person - not special good or special bad, just special - to enjoy Auri's broken mind, If you don't you don't, and there is nothing wrong with that - but there isn't anything wrong with the book or the author either. I personally am not the right audience for it either, but I found it a curious read nonetheless. A character study of a very atypical character. Others - and it looks like most of those others are people who have had some kind of traumatic event in the past, or feel perpetually left out, or see themselves as broken somehow - relate very strongly with Auri. And you can't take that away from them - it's their book. It's something Pat has done for them - and himself, - and it's just not fair to expect that all his efforts should go towards pleasing as many people as possible.

Yeah, I get that. And I wouldn't be so bothered if PR hadn't essentially cussed out people that don't like it - especially considering that people that read his first two books had a certain expectation. It could have had great potential and still catered to those special kind of people. I feel like he just cashed in on his previous work and assumed everybody would just buy it - which I guess a lot of people did, including me. I certainly won't be at any future midnight release parties of PR's. Loved his first two books, if his third "real" book is good, I'll get it.

There is a reason the very first sentence of Slow Regard is "You may not want to buy this book." He makes it abundantly clear that it's not for everyone - and no, he couldn't have made it for everyone, because then it wouldn't work (as well) for those it was intended for. I am very interested in finding out what makes you believe Pat "essentially cussed out people that don't like it."

As for the reasons he published it, he wasn't going to. It was a writing exercise for him. However when he give a draft to Vi Hart, she practically demanded the book to be published. Because she was the right audience, and she knew there are others who would love it as much as she did.