The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

9 hours ago, LiquidBlue said:

but I think that a Feruchemist can still sense if a metal itself can be used Feruchemically

For the purpose of a non-Scadrian God-Metal, it depends. Lerasium can be burned by anybody, but Atium cannot be. I imagine that some of the other God Metals are like Atium in this respect, and/or follow that same effect for Feruchemy. They may not register as being viable unless/until that Shard went and Invested in Scadrial.

Additionally, Brandon has said more than once that we are "assuming that they[Shardblades] are not Allomantically inert." If they are inert, they probably shouldn't be viable at all.

On 3/5/2011 at 2:29 PM, Silus - Shard of Flame said:

But that doesn't apply to the Lord Ruler because he's the one who stored it. So burning your feruchemical storage gives you a massive burst of the feruchemical attribute? What about with brass? TLR was able to Sooth on a massive scale, did that come from a similar trick?

It is because he ate the lerasium in the beginning. The later mistborn were much weaker because of the effect being thinned by it being spread through many generations. At least, that's what i thought. Also, if it was Duralumin, then it would have been one short burst of soothing, not a constant effect.

9 minutes ago, King Cole said:

It is because he ate the lerasium in the beginning. The later mistborn were much weaker because of the effect being thinned by it being spread through many generations. At least, that's what i thought. Also, if it was Duralumin, then it would have been one short burst of soothing, not a constant effect.

Actually, The Lord Ruler appears to have turned himself into a stronger Mistborn via the Well, and didn't consume one of the beads. He gave the beads to those who supported him, though, and it was their bloodlines that thinned and weren't as strong. Elend wasn't as strong as The Lord Ruler, even not accounting for compounding.

@King Cole, first off, I should let you know you're responding to a post over six years old.

Anyway, TLR did not burn lerasium. During his Ascension he rebuilt himself to be very powerful Allomancer and he, indeed, were much more powerful than even Lerasium Mistborns.

Would wrapping a hemalurgical spike in aluminum foil affect the decay it experiences outside of the body? Would it slow the decay?

(I really don't expect the answer to be yes, but aluminum has interesting interactions. Besides, it has the funny meta symbology of wrapping leftovers for latter.)

Edited by LiquidBlue
missing words

1 hour ago, LiquidBlue said:

Yes... Proofreading is good. I meant to ask specifically about wrapping in aluminum foil.

We know that putting a spike in a vial of blood (and presumably making the blood swish around to be non-stagnant) prevents Hemalurgic decay, but I haven't the faintest for aluminum. Good question.

If in the future a group of people used robots to terraform a planet to be easily habitable and then within the space of a few days/weeks colonized it heavily, what would the sudden change in cognition look in the CR? What would a planet dropping into the CR look like?

For clarification, by colonize it heavily I mean that they move millions of people into homes on the surface and had all of them transplant a bunch of trees/crops onto the planet to get some extra vegetation. Toss in some wildlife for variety. Yes, this would be a logistic nightmare, but ignore that aspect of the question ;)

5 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

If in the future a group of people used robots to terraform a planet to be easily habitable and then within the space of a few days/weeks colonized it heavily, what would the sudden change in cognition look in the CR? What would a planet dropping into the CR look like?

For clarification, by colonize it heavily I mean that they move millions of people into homes on the surface and had all of them transplant a bunch of trees/crops onto the planet to get some extra vegetation. Toss in some wildlife for variety. Yes, this would be a logistic nightmare, but ignore that aspect of the question ;)

What would the death star look like in the CR? As it moves it moves to different parts of the galaxy?

Apology up front, but I've spent too long without venting a set of questions on here, so there are quite a few this time around.

AonDor Questions:

1. Does drawing an Aon larger make the effect larger and/or more powerful?
    • Are any currently known Aons an exception to this?
  2. Can Aon effects be stacked? ie: would overlaying 4x Aon Ashe mean 4x brightness?
  3. Do the modifier lines have to be drawn on the same scale as the base Aon?
    • Clarification: Draw a 1ft by 1ft Aon Daa with modifiers, if I make the base Aon 2ft by 2ft, do I also have to double the size of the modifiers?
    • If so, what effect would keeping them the same size have on the Aon when I use it?
  4. Can you build an On/Off switch into the modifiers of an Aon? ex: A flashlight using Aon Ashe for light
  5. Ancient Elantrians used Aon Ehe to make lanterns that never went out. Given how newly drawn Aons are weaker away from Elantris, would these lanterns(that are already activated) start to dim as they got further from the city of Elantris?
    • If not a RAFO, would this hold true for all Aons that are already activated?
  6. Does Aon Aha ["Breath, Air" per Ars Arcanum] produce air in AonDor? I got an Elantrian Scuba Diver image in my head this one time...
    • If so, could it be used to have a never emptying oxygen tank or would it continue filling/raising pressure to the point that the tank bursts?
      • If he somehow doesn't RAFO this, can you prevent pressure bursting with the right modifiers?

Allomancy Questions:

1. The point where someone has enough power that they start leaking mist has been given the fan-name of "Mistpoint." Do you have an actual term for this or can we use this term as actual Canon?
  2. We've speculated that Mistpoint marks the strongest point that an Allomancer can be(barring Ascension). Are we correct in this assumption?
  3. Would Mist-fueled entities [ie: Elend and Marsh during the final battle] be considered as at Mistpoint?
  4. How close would the Lord Ruler get to Mistpoint by Duralumin burning his Allomantic Metals?
  5. You've said that Elend could only match TLR soothing by using Duralumin. For reference, was the Lord Ruler only burning or was he flaring brass during his intense soothing scenes?
  6. Suppose you could reliably steal 80% Allomantic Strength with a Spike. That 80% would differ slightly from person to person correct?
    • Pretty sure we know this already, but just in case.
  7. In another WoB, you have said that burning Pewter gives 2x strength and flaring gives 3x. Mathematically, that means flaring gives you double what burning gives. Does this hold true for all metals?
    • Clarification: In essence, Burn = Strength+1, Flare = Strength+2. Thus Flare is 2x the effect of Burn.
    • If no, which metals does this math work with? / Which metals does this math not work with?

Gen. Purpose Roshar Questions:

1. Is Thaylenah a mercantile culture? Captain Tozbek runs a shipping business, Rysn and Vstim trade all over Roshar, Tvlakv is a slave trader, Barmest sells books in Kharbranth, Vstim is legally Rysn's father until he considers her ready to be a merchant on her own, several people of several cultures speak Thaylen well, etc..
  2. Rysn and Vstim traded in both Shinovar and the Reshi Isles. Thaylen, Reshi, Aimian and Shin are all in different language families, yet Axies the Collector(Aimian) spoke Thaylen well, the Shin they traded with(Thresh) and the Purelaker guide(Gu) spoke it very well, and the Reshi trader(Talik) spoke Thaylen well enough for Rysn to question his country of origin. Taravangian knows a Shin proverb in its native tongue. Is the language barrier thinner than we would expect it to be?
    • Can you compare the level of difference between some languages with an Earth equivalent? ie: Going from Alethi to Horneater is like English to Russian, or something like that to give us a idea of how different these languages really are
  3. Does Azir have a standing army, and would their "by the book"/paperwork oriented lifestyle translate into a well regimented force and chain-of-command? (assuming they filled out the necessary forms to go to war)
  4. When Iri and Rira split, was it a peaceful split or was there a civil war of sorts? Additionally, how long ago did this split happen?
  5. What do the Reshi actually do to interpret the Tai-Na on whether they should go to war with a nearby island?

Cosmere Questions:

1. Would a Shardblade kill the limb of a Kandra, or do they have some form of resistance/immunity to this?
    • If they have a resistance, why/how does it resist a Shardblade cut?
  2. Would a Shardblade physically cut the "bones" of a Kandra with a true body made of stone/metal or would the limb still have to be killed first?
  3. We seem to be fixated with FTL and space travel, but are there any worlds that would be more interested in exploring the deep seas of their world?
    • If so, have we seen this world? and/or Do we know enough about the culture/magic system to figure out how they would explore the deep seas?
Edited by The One Who Connects
Missing some question marks

20 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:
  1. Would a Shardblade kill the limb of a Kandra, or do they have some form of resistance/immunity to this?
    • If they have a resistance, why/how does it resist a Shardblade cut?

I am sure there is already a WoB about and the answer was "no" (in the context as "Kandra are resistent to Shardblade's cut" as I remembe, maybe someone could try to find the WoB

What happens when a child stores age? Say a 5 yr old stores enough age that they would be 20, would their body shift to match it? When an adult stores age, their body changes somewhat to match their new age. So could you start storing when you are 5, and linearly decrease how much you are storing for the next 15 yrs until you are 20, and then start tapping incrementally more for the next ~15 (less from the power loss, but I'm ignoring that) so that you can actually be 20 for 30 years? I'm sure some women would kill for this, incidentally. Also, they ask for ID you until you look a certain age, so could a 5 yr old get away with buying beer by storing a TON of age?

1 hour ago, john203 said:

Presumably there is a Shalash Honorblade out there that confers illumination and transformation. Does this blade/bond also grant a supernaturally good memory?

"It's tied to the Orders."

Brandon Sanderson

There is something supernatural about those. Each Order... Well, how about this. If you look at scholars' interpretations, there are some scholars who think that these things are not supernatural, and some who think that they are. But, if you look, many Lightweavers had powerful mnemonic abilities.

Argent

So it's definitely tied to the Orders?

Brandon Sanderson

It's tied to the Orders. Now, I am not going to say that you've got them all 100% correct, but each Order, there are things that come with Order, things that do not add up from simple the "you get this power plus this power," there is something else going on.

So it shouldn't give them the memory thing. At least, that's how I interpreted this

24 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

"It's tied to the Orders."

So it shouldn't give them the memory thing. At least, that's how I interpreted this

There is a WoB on reddit (which I can't look for right now) about Heralds on their effects - they do have them which sucks for Jezrien since Heralds don't have squires.

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

There is a WoB on reddit (which I can't look for right now) about Heralds on their effects - they do have them which sucks for Jezrien since Heralds don't have squires.

Really? We know that Radiants get more efficient Surgebinding than Honorblades do, so it didn't seem too much of a stretch to me that the perks would be unique to the Spren Bond too. I guess that doesn't hold up to how we understand Resonances, but oh well. That does stink for Jezrien, but I can think of something to work around that if/once we know more

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Really? We know that Radiants get more efficient Surgebinding than Honorblades do, so it didn't seem too much of a stretch to me that the perks would be unique to the Spren Bond too. I guess that doesn't hold up to how we understand Resonances, but oh well. That does stink for Jezrien, but I can think of something to work around that if/once we know more

Well actually at the basic Honorblades and Nahel Bond are Simply two ways to access Surgebinding. The two Surgebinder's Powers are the Resonance's cause. So It is actually linear the Heralds have this extras too.

Probably also if you Spike out the two Surgebinding Powers from a couple of Radiants and you gift to someone...This guy Will develop the Resonance (also some unseen One if you mix surges from none of the orders).

Edited by Yata

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I've seen that, but I don't remember exact wording. Did Brandon say that it sucks for Jezrien? It bothers me that an Honorblade, which came about before squires were ever a thing, would grant a resonance related to them. That is effectively not granting one. Would Jezrien just get a different resonance, I guess I'm asking.

Also for a real question. Say you are a Surgebinder. You have some resonance related to your order. Say you then get a spike for some Allomantic power. What happens to your resonance(s). Do you suddenly have 3-- one for each interaction, or do you still only have one that gets modified based on the new sum interraction? How many powers does it take to remove resonance? Clearly at most 16, but some specifics would be nice.

Why wouldn't Jezrien have squires? Granted they wouldn't be squires like the KR squires, in the very hierarchical structure of Knights, but Jezrien was a leader, a king. If the resonance of his two powers is endowing some lesser grasp on to those powers onto a limited numbers of his followers, why would being a Herald stop that?

The only reason I can think of is that the other powers the heralds get mess with the resonance, like how a Mistborn wont develop any due to too many powers.

On topic of the thread, I would really like to know if an allomancer who bonded a spren would lose the ability to burn metals, since the cracks in their soul would be patched up by the spren. 

Edited by Ciridae

17 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

Also for a real question. Say you are a Surgebinder. You have some resonance related to your order. Say you then get a spike for some Allomantic power. What happens to your resonance(s). Do you suddenly have 3-- one for each interaction, or do you still only have one that gets modified based on the new sum interaction? How many powers does it take to remove resonance? Clearly at most 16, but some specifics would be nice.

Assuming that you get a Resonance for each individual Interaction (As Nazh/Khriss think there should be another Shard-Combo magic system on Roshar) then I'd put the cap at 4. At 4 powers, you would have 6 potential two-power Resonances. Having more Resonances than you have powers seems like a logical place for Brandon to draw the line. Other choice would be 5 Powers, since 5Power & 10Resonances has some poetics to it.

If it is one blended Resonance from all your powers, I'd.. also put the cap around 4-5 actually. I feel like it should stop showing up once the powers are too muddied up to have a clear combination effect. Never mind, my interpretation would make it variable so it's probably wrong. I just considered that similar powers exist, and they wouldn't muddy it up as much.

For example, the Enhancement quadrant of Allomancy. Aluminum & Chromium, Duralumin & Nicrosil are the same effects respectively, so the Resonance of those 4 powers would probably be similar to if you only had two. A+D would have a similar Perk to C+N, as the pairs are both 1 power-up and 1 power-down. Little change if you went with A+N and D+C, since they still have one of each. The only different perks would be if they were in alike pairs: A+C and D+N. And that gets negated by having all 4, because now you have 2's balancing out in every way. 2 up, 2 down, 2 self, 2 others

1 hour ago, Ciridae said:

Why wouldn't Jezrien have squires? Granted they wouldn't be squires like the KR squires, in the very hierarchical structure of Knights, but Jezrien was a leader, a king. If the resonance of his two powers is endowing some lesser grasp on to those powers onto a limited numbers of his followers, why would being a Herald stop that?

The only reason I can think of is that the other powers the heralds get mess with the resonance, like how a Mistborn wont develop any due to too many powers.

The thing is, that while Radiant do have squires (of varying numbers) and Windrunners' Resonance is "strength of squires" which makes Windrunner squires abnormal in strength and number, Heralds do not have squires.

And since the Resonance of Gravity and Adhesion is "strength of the squires" Jezrien has it; but he has no squires it can be applied to.

18 minutes ago, SgtSin said:

Why if Preservation wants TLR to succeed does the must help Vin to destroy him? It has been bothering me for a while now, and only more since reading the secret history. 

Vin was Preservation's chosen for his ultimate plan, and that made her able to draw upon the mists. The fact that Vin used those mists to stop TLR was out of his control. Heck, the only reason she even managed to do that in the first place is because the Lord Ruler's Steelpushes were strong enough to rip the earring out of her ear. If that hadn't happened, Vin would've lost, end of story.