What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Dragons Path and Kings Blood by Daniel Abraham: Very good. Very unique story. Abraham is a fantasy author for people who have read alot of fantasy and want something different. He is also good for people who don't really like fantasy and want mainstream style characters and writing in a fantasy setting.

Enders Game: Read this 15 years ago, but forgot alot about it so I audio'd it. I like the idea a lot. However, when I listen to Ender's voice, he doesn't strike me as a 7 year old kid. Yes I know he was a supergenious, but it seemed like his wisdom and maturity was just too high for his age. It felt a little off. I do understand what the author was trying to do. That being said I liked it again.

Just finished Cloud Atlas, which I read cause the trailer for the film looked awesome. The book itself is fairly good, though the way it's structured means the most compelling of the endings wasn't at the end. I enjoyed it.

Wow! I hadn't realized it had been so long since I last logged in. Ok, to sum up:

The Hollow city is definitely Dan's best book.

Infamous by Sherrilyn Kenyon is the my favorite book in The Chronicles of Nick, so far.

I Was a Teenage Bigfoot by Jim Butcher had me rolling on the floor. Absolutely hilarious! :lol:

Next on my reading list is The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. (Shhh! Don't tell him I haven't read it yet. He thinks otherwise.)

I just finished the Malloreon by David Eddings, and I've got to say that it was much much better than the Belgariad. Not only was the writing more mature, it was also a lot funnier.

I also recently read Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov, which was rather good. I'm now reading Caves of Steel, also by Asimov.

Oh, right, I suppose I ought to recount the adventures of Queen of Sorcery.

Hettar developed a dry sense of humor for a chapter or two, so I'm considering liking him. Ce'nedra is at least a rather different from the other characters, although not especially interesting. The two characters I liked fairly well were absent for the latter part of the book. As with Pawn of Prophecy, everyone seems to expect that all the people in a country will conform to a certain stereotype. Which would not be so frustrating, except that it seems to be true in the story. Every Tolnedran is like every other one; every Nyissan is like the next. I probably was supposed to be impressed by the new displays of magic, but they weren't foreshadowed well, so they felt more like plot devices.

For instance, the Pol-making-lots-of-sparks-and-then-growing-to-giant-size was underwhelming, because the mechanics of the system aren't clear enough. It's really interesting to see a magic taken to its extreme (e.g. Kelsier near the end of FE, Szeth at the beginning of TWoK), but without an understanding of the system - particularly the limits of the system - it's hard to appreciate. They stated a rule that doing something with magic uses roughly the same amount of energy it would to do physically. And then Pol or Wolf (I can't remember which) called down lightning, and Pol grew to giant size. Meaning that either that rule is false, or they have external energy sources.

Garion is as bland as ever. This is unfortunate, as Eddings describes his introverted thoughts and struggles the most, but I find that I don't care. Eddings learned to not mention the seasons so often, since every time he does, he sounds quite absurd. Overall, it was better than Pawn of Prophecy, but not good enough to motivate me to finish the series.

In my mind, I shall imagine that Pol and Wolf turn out to be villians, Garion is a boy who has powers, but isn't the prophesied one, the prophecies we keep hearing about were just things Pol/Wolf planted to manipulate people, either there isn't any new Rivan Aragorn king coming, or Zedar has the real child (and said child wasn't just a method of safely acquiring the Ring Orb), and he is just trying to stay safe from Pol/Wolf, most Murgos are actually nice, and the voice in Garion's head is Torak. Because that would be an interesting story.

I'm now reading The Sword of Shannara. Why? A Professor, colleague and friend (plus a fellow fan of fantasy fiction), had asked me for the past several years if I'd ever read the series. Since he is now retired, I'm honoring him in my reading of a series he held in such high regard. Thus far, I'm pleased with what I've read. Even so, I'm challenged NOT to compare it to J.R.R.Tolkein's, Lord of the Rings series. Still, it's really good in its own right! I'm looking forward to finding out what happens!

I'm now reading The Sword of Shannara. Why? A Professor, colleague and friend (plus a fellow fan of fantasy fiction), had asked me for the past several years if I'd ever read the series. Since he is now retired, I'm honoring him in my reading of a series he held in such high regard. Thus far, I'm pleased with what I've read. Even so, I'm challenged NOT to compare it to J.R.R.Tolkein's, Lord of the Rings series. Still, it's really good in its own right! I'm looking forward to finding out what happens!

Lemme know what you think when you're done, I picked up the first book awhile back but haven't had chance to read it yet.

I have read through quite a few books recently.

First and foremost, Warbreaker, which is absolutely splended! I already want to return to the world and characters!

Alongside that, I read through The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in preparation for my PGCE (teacher's training course), followed by The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Both were great and so I'm looking forward to the possibility of teaching them.

Yesteday (or possibly the day before), I finished reading Skellig by David Almond, another book on my reading list for the PGCE. I wasn't too sure about it for the first third, but the rest was beautiful and quite gripping! The imagery and characters are wonderful. There's so much to talk about!

Now, I'm reading through the first Mistwalker book.

Alongisde that, I'll read through some Shakespeare! I'm very keen to finish Hamlet and re-read MacBeth. I haven't read that since I was 13/14!

I may also read through Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I read the first half the week it came out but Uni got in the way and I haven't picked it up since!

The Black Prism was fantastic. It's sooo much better than the Night Angel trilogy! I can't wait for The Blinding Knife!

Last night I finished Born of Silence by Sherrilyn Kenyon and it was meh. Definitely sub par for her. Since there's still a couple weeks until The Blinding Knife's release and I'm still waiting for Legion to arrive, I'm reading Count Zero by William Gibson.

The Black Prism was fantastic. It's sooo much better than the Night Angel trilogy! I can't wait for The Blinding Knife!

This, so much this, I enjoyed Night Angel, but The Black Prism blew me away! So looking forward to The Blinding Knife, 11th of September if you didn't know!

Ok, since last time I posted here, I read:

Belgarath the Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings

The Enchantress by Michael Scott

Polgara the Sorceress by David and Leigh Eddings

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

The Diamond Throne by David Eddings

And I'm now reading The Ruby Knight by David Eddings

Edited by Trizee

I began reading Terry Brooks' Shannara series in early August of this year based on several years' worth of recommendations from a colleague of mine who has since retired. While I don't find these novels nearly what Tolkein's were, and as I acknowledge that there are so many common themes between them, I'm still enjoying them ... although I wish there was more solid continuity between them. I'm only on The Wishsong of Shannara (i.e.: the original Shannara #3.) Anyway, I can always hope for something better as the series progresses.

I began reading Terry Brooks' Shannara series in early August of this year based on several years' worth of recommendations from a colleague of mine who has since retired. While I don't find these novels nearly what Tolkein's were, and as I acknowledge that there are so many common themes between them, I'm still enjoying them ... although I wish there was more solid continuity between them. I'm only on The Wishsong of Shannara (i.e.: the original Shannara #3.) Anyway, I can always hope for something better as the series progresses.

The shannara series was one of my first introductions into epic fantasy, and still holds a special place in my heart to this day. Brooks admits that the first book bears some strong similarities to LOTR, but I really enjoy them. As you read through the series connections between books and times start to be connected, and you see some of the consequences from several hundred years ago. Not as pronounced as some books, but it is still a great read. And you are correct, as you progress in the series it does get much better, though Wishsong is still one of my favorites.

Just wrapped up Mieville's latest, Railsea. Excellent stuff, probably my favorite of his since he stopped writing about Bas-Lag. Fascinating world-building, good characters, and only a passing pastiche of Moby Dick.

Almost done with Dan Abraham's A Shadow in Summer. Very cool, he does some interesting stuff with character behaviour that helps to emphasize the foreign nature of the society being described.

Crazy psyched up for Abercrombie's Red Country, but we got a bit of time yet to that.

Currently reading the second Mistborn (I can't believe I called it Mistwalker O_o) book. I'm very nearly at the end! Few books have made me feel this emotional! I'm nearing the end of the HUGE battle...

Vin has managed to take control of the kolloss and is heading off to deal with Straff.

The deaths of the characters, major and minor, has been heartbreaking and the realtionship between Vin and Elend has been somewhat of an emotional ride. In the first book, their love was so pure and idyllic. In the second book, I wasn't sure whether I liked them as a realistic couple, but I was open minded. I told myself that it was what they did at the end of the journey which mattered, and I was right! Their bonds are stronger! Their love is deeper and ten times more beautiful! :)

I shall be reading Mistborn book 3 after this. No doubt alongside loads of PGCE-related books.