What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Only 227pgs into Rome 7 but I'm already thinking of what to read next. Either Outlander 1 or Shadows Apt 9. I'm leaning towards Apt just cause it's taking me 6-7 months reading Rome1-7 straight thru and before that it was Hamilton's Commonwealth 1-5 for 4-5 months. Idk if I have the will to do another long series atm. I don't break up my reading when it comes to series that are already published cause I like everything fresh in my head.

The magic is akin to power levels in Dragonball Z (i.e. mostly BS) so I wouldn't expect mechanics like you find in Sanderson. The plot is all over the place and a lot of questions you have will never be answered. Ever. Trust me, I've read the Esslemont books as well, and all I got was more infuriating. 

The magic!! It is so frustrating. After finishing the 7th book, I actually understood the warrens. And, I still don't know (I'm at book 8), what role Icarium has to play. He doesn't seem to be involved with Fokrul Assail. I think, he'll do something about K'chain Nah'ruk. Because in book 6, if I am not wrong, we see their skykeeps. And in book 7, seeing the desperation of KCCM matron, some action is imminent.

Anyways, do I really have to read book 8 before going to book 9. I just don't feel the need to visit Darujhistan after nearly 6 novels (the last we were there was in book 3). 

I am reading The Brothers Karamazov. I've the Penguin Classics edition. The language is a little tough, as compared to other books. 

I've put Malazan book 8 on hold. Just re-read 5,6, and read 7 the previous month. Too much... warrens and convergence in one month.

I've been thinking about The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman. Is it any good ?

And what about, The Gentlemen Bastards ? I read a little of book one. Is the series as cool as its name ?

Lies bk 1 is perhaps one of the best debut novels I've ever read. It's fantastic. Seas bk 2 is a lot of fun but not near the epic lvl of 1. Republic bk 3......I was bored to tears and very very mad I spent $ on getting it in HC. I will not do that again on this series unless the reviews are stellar I ll wait a year for PB.

Anyways, do I really have to read book 8 before going to book 9. I just don't feel the need to visit Darujhistan after nearly 6 novels (the last we were there was in book 3). 

Yes. A huge event happens at the end of book 8 that you should know about for at least book 10. It's important to note that after reading book 9, you will want to continue with 10 (book 9 is the only Malazan book with a legitimate cliffhanger. I believe you'll like it :))

Actually, I mis-typed... the event at the end of book 8 is HUGE as in *spoilered in case you do not want to know anything about it*

The moon kinda explodes during the course of events and that is probably one of the least epic things that happens during that event

So yeah, book 8 can be frustrating... but you really, really, REALLY do not want to skip it. 

If you read Wheel of Time, it's kinda like book 6 Lord of Chaos, but replace the charlie fox at the end of that book with Tarmon Gaidon. 

Have I mentioned that the end of book 8 is HUGE? I might be over-stating it...

I liked the Gentleman Bastard series. I've heard from a few people that the third book felt like a snoozefest to them, but I liked it a lot - probably more than the first one too. 

I'm going to start it soon, but just a random plug for it: On Writing Excuses, Howard Tayler said that the third was his favorite so far. Random plug over. :ph34r:

So yeah, book 8 can be frustrating... but you really, really, REALLY do not want to skip it. 

If you read Wheel of Time, it's kinda like book 6 Lord of Chaos, but replace the charlie fox at the end of that book with Tarmon Gaidon. 

Have I mentioned that the end of book 8 is HUGE? I might be over-stating it...

Hmm...Okay. I am clinging to it. Actually, I had forgotten some characters (so many characters here), and Darujhistan isn't really that interesting to me. But, if the spoiler is really that huge, then I am ready to go on. It is a hard ride.

What's the general feeling on the lies of Locke Lamora? As I'm just not feeling it.

It's generally a book people like in varying degrees. I don't know if I've talked to anyone who is actually unhappy about it.

I finished Django Wexler's The Price of Valor and was very happy with it. If only I could stop thinking about it as The Prince of Valor...

Now I am working on Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan. I don't expect to like it very much (the middle book, Tower Lord, was a step back from the already mediocre Blood Song), but it's the last one in the series and I can't bring myself to leave it unread.

What's the general feeling on the lies of Locke Lamora? As I'm just not feeling it.

Most think it has gotten weaker with every book. I personally would rate them 9/10, 7/10, 6.5/10, respectively. I have a feeling the next books are going to bring it back to its original level, or at least close to it.

I've been thinking about The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman. Is it any good ?

I liked the books. Fair warning it is pretty dark. It is an adult version of Harry Potter meets Narnia Chronicles with a little bit of originality. 

Currently reading Lord of All Things by Andreas Eschbach. I am about half way through and like it so far although took a while to really get going for me. 

I just got The Cycle of Arawn complete trilogy audio book purely for the fact it is 65 hours. A great value for one audible credit. Hopefully it is good. 

I liked the books. Fair warning it is pretty dark. It is an adult version of Harry Potter meets Narnia Chronicles with a little bit of originality. 

A lot more Narnia than Harry Potter, honestly, especially the later books, but yes, pretty dark.  also, some of the characters, including the main character, can be annoying.

A lot more Narnia than Harry Potter, honestly, especially the later books, but yes, pretty dark.  also, some of the characters, including the main character, can be annoying.

Agreed on the characters. Similar to the King Killer books in that aspect for me. I actually liked some of the secondary characters more than the main. As dark as it was I thought the ending somewhat made up for it. 

Agreed on the characters. Similar to the King Killer books in that aspect for me. I actually liked some of the secondary characters more than the main. As dark as it was I thought the ending somewhat made up for it. 

after her bit in book 3, I decided the second book would be a lot better if all of quentin's chapters were replaced with whatever Janet was doing at the time.  but yes, the ending to book 3 was a bit less depressing

I did jugde it to quickly and I have thouroughly enjoyed the first enstallment of the gentlemen bastards series. I myself wouldn't give it 10/10 but I can see why the first instalment would encourage you to carry on with series, as I will myself. And if I believe, as the rest of you seem to that the follow ons don't live up to the first then it's easier to rate the first higher than it deserves. I did find it thouroughly entertaining but it's far from the best I've read.