Interesting things about yourself?

Kestrel

I randomly burst into song all the time. All. The. Time. And it's anything from Les Mis to "three chartreuse buzzards."

This is something that needs to happen more often. Like, people think musicals are unrealistic, just bursting into song. I think they are only unrealistic because no one bothers singing for no reason anymore.

I can bend my left thumb back unusually far....Causing people around me to scream.

That's fun :) Mine bends back a bit of a way more than normal, my dad's bends back a crazy amount, practically pointing back along his arm when he's doing a thumbs up. People's reactions to digits/limbs moving further than they theoretically should can be quite entertaining.

Out of curiosity, can your thumb bend back behind your hand?

Like this:

20150713_225032_zpslnppugd0.jpg

Anyway...

My whole family has light blue-grey eyes, so naturally mine are hazel :P

I'm average height now, though a few years back I was quite short and I seemed to be at the exact height that most of the people I interacted with kept losing sight of me. Between that and how I didn't tend to talk too much in public I got a reputation for being really stealthy, when most of the time I didn't need to try. I have had a situation where I walked up to someone and said hi and they got confused, looking around for a bit before they looked down and saw me. :P

I sometimes type in time to a piece of music.

I think humming is the human form of purring, and can make you feel better :)

I don't listen to a ton of music, I generally prefer singing/playing/humming it myself.

I've been known to stay awake for hours after going to bed thinking about algorithms (and game mechanics, stories etc but I think that's more normal).

I have been known to harmonise with the fridge.

That'll do :)

I sometimes type in time to a piece of music.

I think humming is the human form of purring, and can make you feel better :)

I don't listen to a ton of music, I generally prefer singing/playing/humming it myself.

I've been known to stay awake for hours after going to bed thinking about algorithms (and game mechanics, stories etc but I think that's more normal).

I have been known to harmonise with the fridge.

You mean to say these things aren't normal?

I can't so much do freaky things with my hands, but when I put my elbow behind my head, I can keep going so the top of my elbow is level with the opposite ear. I can also grasp my forearms when doing that (as in, left arm behind my head, right arm coming up my back)

My eyes change color slightly when I wear certain colors.  They're hazel, so there are lots of different colors to them.  Makes it really hard to draw them though, let me tell you what.

I draw so badly that everyone laughs every time they see something from me.  I am just special like that, I guess.  My sister told me that my dragons look like slugs with sticks for legs.  I don't disagree.

Apparently, when I was little, I had a hard time picking out clothes at the store because I was afraid I would hurt their feelings.  I still sort of have this problem, but it is not nearly as bad.

According to most of my family, I have "lizard eyes."  When I look up, my eyes go in opposite directions.  I seriously thought it was normal until my sister pointed it out to me.  And I am really sensitive to temperature, so I sometimes wonder if I am cold-blooded. ;)

I also carry the colorblind gene, because my dad is colorblind, and I got his X chromosome.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I am also really gullible, but don't play jokes on me, because it makes me sad.

Seriously, though, real conversation:

Me: I am quite gullible.

Friend: Oh, look, it says gullible on the ceiling!

Me (looking up): really?!

Friend just laughs.

Edited by Elsecaller3414

I wonder if it's because you're left-handed that you walk on the "wrong" side of things. Your story reminds me of a ski trip I went on in 5th grade. We all had to do the ski class and then take the test down the bunny hill to prove we knew how to ski before we could actually go up on the mountain. I failed the test because I started on the wrong side of the cone (never mind that I did everything else perfectly). I didn't even know there was a correct side. I attribute it to the fact that I am left-handed and mostly left-dominant and therefore view things differently than right-handed and right-dominant people. It sounds like you're similar. :)

Also, in case anyone is curious, I never passed that ski test that day, and I've never been skiing since, because that experience left a bitter taste in my mouth. I much prefer snowboarding, but I've only ever done that twice.

Oh I am totally sure I walk on the wrong side of things because I am left handed!

Another interesting quirks I recalled about being a pure left-handed person. Watches.

You are supposed to wear your watch on your left wrist. I, of course, learned that as a child, even though it felt unnatural, but still I complied to the convention. Then, when I was a very young adult, I got scared I would die of physical atrophy so I decided to get fit. After a while (read years), I got better at it and I expressed the desire to get one of those cardio-meter watches, which my husband to me promptly offered me on Christmas. I happily started wearing my watch and monitoring my heart beat. 

Years later (yeah, YEARS), I suddenly noticed that while I always put my day-to-day watch on my left wrist, as you are supposed to, I was unconsciously putting my cardio-meter watch on my right wrist. I had absolutely never realized this. Watches on the RIGHT wrists makes sense people  -_-

FYI: I had to re-read myself twice because I had initially flip right and left in my message  :ph34r: I can never get right and left right... I am always mixed up  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Another one about being left-handed... groceries list. For years, I have written my list of groceries unto a paper pad. For years, I have ALWAYS wrote my to-buy things in the same manner, which totally made sense to me, up until my husband nose him into it and noticed the discrepancy... See, for YEARS, I have bee starting to list my item starting on the top RIGHT side of the paper as opposed to the top LEFT side. I was writing one column, then I move LEFT to start the next  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: It TOTALLY makes more sense in this order  :ph34r:

Oh and BTW, turning on the LEFT side of the cones, completely makes sense. I would have done the same  -_- I am sorry you failed your test because of it.

Edit: I am a Scadrian Waffle Cook  :huh: THIS has to be weird....

Edited by maxal

Another interesting quirks I recalled about being a pure left-handed person. Watches.

Watches on the RIGHT wrists makes sense people  -_-

So. Much. Yes. I cannot wear a watch on my left wrist. At all. I can't wear anything on my left wrist, actually. It's so uncomfortable.

Oh and BTW, turning on the LEFT side of the cones, completely makes sense. I would have done the same   -_- I am sorry you failed your test because of it.

I'm just confused why it even mattered to the person. I mean really: isn't the point of the test to prove you know how to ski? Does it really matter which direction you start going down on the mountain? Nope. It really doesn't. At all.

There are actually a lot of things I switch off on, dominance-wise.

I catch right-handed, but I throw left-handed (that's not all that surprising, though, since I had to learn to catch with my right hand to play softball). I bat ambidexterously, but I prefer right-handed. However, all racket sports I have to play left-handed. Same with golf. Pool is right-handed, and I snowboard with my right foot forward. I eat left-handed. I shoot guns right-handed (though that's more because I'm right-eye dominant and shooting left-handed while using my right eye is just a bad idea). It amuses me that I'm not consistent in my preference between right and left, though I do tend to learn more towards the left hand, and that's obvious in what my preference is when picking things up, opening doors, etc.

Also, some other interesting things about me I've since remembered:

I love houses. This is something that extends to when I was a kid (like, around 5-6 years old at least). I loved building houses with Legos, or cities with blocks and in our sandbox--particularly houses. I was constantly drawing houses in church, in school, and my free time. Blueprints. In 5th grade, my teacher saw my drawing a house, and she's like "Oh, do you want to be an architect?" And I'm like "What's that?" And when she explained it to me, I'm like "YES!" In 8th-9th grade, I drew house plans for most of my friends. I got very good at it. I could easily freehand a perfectly straight line. I'd draw houses and play games with my sisters with the houses I drew and the ones I'd collected from the newspaper, the internet, and house plan books my parents would get me. I'd build houses out of molding clay (I really should've taken pictures of some of those too, because those were awesome). On the Sims, I'd play just to build the houses. I decided in my senior year that there were way too many math classes needed for an architectural degree, so I went into English instead. I don't really regret that choice, but I do still have an intense passion for residential architecture.

When I listen to music, I get into it. Very, very into it. No matter where I am. If I'm at my apartment, I actually sing along, but even at work, I'll head-bang, lip-sync, air guitar, air violin, air piano, air drum, actually drum (using pens on my desk), and more. I have no shame when it comes to showing my love of music. :)

I have an insane number of nicknames. The most obvious ones are based on my name: Wilson, Little Wilson, K-Dawg, Kendrita, Drita, Special K, K-Monster (this is my childhood nickname, which my dad and brother still sometimes call me to this day), and K-Tiger. Then there are the ones that come from specific situations, which I can only think of one of those right now: Cakeface. And then there are the nicknames based on personality, namely Lord Otter and Giggles. I'm positive I'm missing at least 5 nicknames.

Sugar affects me like alcohol affects other people. I think this might be a side effect of being ADD, but I'm not 100% certain. All I really know is that if I consume an unhealthy amount of sugar in a short period of time, I start slurring my words and my coordination is bad enough that I can't even sit on a table. Or anywhere.

I once consumed 52 oz of Mountain Dew in less than 3 hours. This was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I could feel the caffeine in my fingertips 3 days later. No joke. It was the strangest feeling, and I never want to duplicate it.  :wacko:

I've never pulled an all-nighter. I've been on the opposite side of the sunrise plenty of times, but I have to sleep for at least 2-3 hours. I cannot go for more than 30 hours without sleeping.

I am only 5'3.5,'' but I've been told I seem like I'm 5'7''. I assume this means my personality makes me seem larger than I am.

I can make myself hyper just through conversation. I'm normally a rather mellow person, but if I get animated for too long, I get super-hyper, and it takes a while to chill out. In the interim, I'm bouncing off the walls and my ADD is really bad because I literally can't focus on anything for more than 2 seconds. I hear that Hyper!Wilson is very entertaining to watch.

I can play guitar, sort of, I have very little patience for actually learning songs though so mostly I just mess around, and I am getting really good at improvising.

I finished Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 100%, not the hardest game, of course, but I am still pretty proud of it.

Despite all my improvising I only managed to finish two songs, quite proud of those as well.

I write creepy pasta sometimes of varying quality. And poetry, also of varying quality.

I have started writing 3 books and thats it, Ive started writing them.

I can do this trick.

Oh I am totally sure I walk on the wrong side of things because I am left handed!

You are supposed to wear your watch on your left wrist. I, of course, learned that as a child, even though it felt unnatural, but still I complied to the convention. Then, when I was a very young adult, I got scared I would die of physical atrophy so I decided to get fit. After a while (read years), I got better at it and I expressed the desire to get one of those cardio-meter watches, which my husband to me promptly offered me on Christmas. I happily started wearing my watch and monitoring my heart beat.

Years later (yeah, YEARS), I suddenly noticed that while I always put my day-to-day watch on my left wrist, as you are supposed to, I was unconsciously putting my cardio-meter watch on my right wrist. I had absolutely never realized this. Watches on the RIGHT wrists makes sense people

I'm right handed, and I can't even wear bracelets on my right hand because it's just irritating and gets in the way. I do wear watches bands bracelets etc on my left. So I'm pretty sure that's dominance based?

Also, I didn't realise you had a dominant leg. Or eye. It makes sense, I just never thought about it - or that you have to choose a leg to be forward when you snowboard. Learn something new every day :).

I have 86 visible distinct scars

I have insomnia

I have an obsession with pencils. In fact, I would estimate that I have about 500 of them

I can pop almost every joint in my body

Like several people here, my thumbs are double jointed and can pop out at freakish angles

I cross my toes when I think

I chew on my fingernails a lot, sometimes past the bed. Which really hurts. My pinky nail is 1/8th of an inch long.

I sneeze a lot when I get really warm

So. Much. Yes. I cannot wear a watch on my left wrist. At all. I can't wear anything on my left wrist, actually. It's so uncomfortable.

And I only hand write with crappy Bic pencil because any other pencil will stain my hand and my paper... The secretary is always baffled when I ask her if she could purchase a box of those as most people prefer the more evolved pens... I just love my Bic.

I catch right-handed, but I throw left-handed (that's not all that surprising, though, since I had to learn to catch with my right hand to play softball). I bat ambidexterously, but I prefer right-handed. However, all racket sports I have to play left-handed. Same with golf. Pool is right-handed, and I snowboard with my right foot forward. I eat left-handed. I shoot guns right-handed (though that's more because I'm right-eye dominant and shooting left-handed while using my right eye is just a bad idea). It amuses me that I'm not consistent in my preference between right and left, though I do tend to learn more towards the left hand, and that's obvious in what my preference is when picking things up, opening doors, etc.

I played softball as well  :) and I too throw with the left hand and catch with the right hand. When I play tennis, instead of doing the reverse, I switch my racket to my right hand and hit the ball with it  :ph34r:

I do everything on the left side. Everything. When I dress my children, I ask them to raise their leg: they NEVER raise the RIGHT leg. They always raise the leg that does not make sense  :rolleyes: Of course, they are most probably both right-handed  :unsure:

I've never pulled an all-nighter. I've been on the opposite side of the sunrise plenty of times, but I have to sleep for at least 2-3 hours. I cannot go for more than 30 hours without sleeping.

That's not weird, this is just normal  :ph34r: I need my sleep  -_-

I can make myself hyper just through conversation. I'm normally a rather mellow person, but if I get animated for too long, I get super-hyper, and it takes a while to chill out. In the interim, I'm bouncing off the walls and my ADD is really bad because I literally can't focus on anything for more than 2 seconds. I hear that Hyper!Wilson is very entertaining to watch.

Oh I do that too, but I have no ADD. I just love to talk so much when I catch someone who is willing to talk to me: I get hyper too. I also get hyper when I am shy... Yeah, extroverted people CAN be shy and I am so worried people won't like me, I turn into a never-ending babbling machine just to break the ice, which kind of put people of..... Apparently, I have gotten better at this over the years. My husband say I was nearly unbearable when he first met me  :ph34r:

And I do not mind having the same conversation over and over and over and over again  :ph34r: If it tackles a subject I like, I can ramble on it endlessly until my "audience" gets fed up  :ph34r:

I also carry the colorblind gene, because my dad is colorblind, and I got his X chromosome.

There is a 25% chance that I carry one of the colorblind genes.  (There are actually two types of red-green colorblind, both linked to the X chromosome.  Which one you have determines which cone you're missing.)  My great-grandfather was direly red-green colorblind, so my grandmother is definitely a carrier.  That makes my mom at 50% odds, and me at 25%.  So far, all of the males in the family have lucked out, so we don't know amongst the gals is a carrier and who isn't.

I am right-handed and (when I've had one) always wore my watch on my right hand.  I never learned that there was a convention until I was already used to it, and refused to switch. 

Both of my parents are left-handed.

I spent enough time in marching band throughout school that I still catch myself counting my steps in 8s. 

I cannot see Magic Eye stereograms.  I blame my contact lenses.

I hate cheesecake but love brussels sprouts.

I have a genetic immunity to opiates.  I learned of this while in the hospital.  There's nothing quite like getting one's gallbladder out only to find that the "happy" drugs they give you for the post-surgery pain have absolutely zero effect.  It wasn't until I got home and took an Aleve that I finally got some pain relief.  I called and complained to my dad, and he said, "Oh, yeah, most of the family is like that."  Thanks, Dad.  NOW you tell me.

On the flip side, there's a certain amount of grim humor to getting to tell an ER doc, while one is doubled over in ulcer pain, not to prescribe any of that useless narcotic crap.  Ye gods, the look on his face was priceless. 

You mean to say these things aren't normal?

*shrugs* how would I know? :P

I suspect staying awake thinking up stories isn't too uncommon, complicated algorithms.....more so.

Regarding the conversation about left/right side of obstacles the left side seems the natural side to me. (I am right handed.) But I'd put that down to the fact that we drive on the left hand side in Australia so the left side is the natural side of any path/obstacle/situation to walk on to aid foot-traffic flow. Not everybody does, but quite a lot of people do.

I suspect staying awake thinking up stories isn't too uncommon, complicated algorithms.....more so.

Regarding the conversation about left/right side of obstacles the left side seems the natural side to me. (I am right handed.) But I'd put that down to the fact that we drive on the left hand side in Australia so the left side is the natural side of any path/obstacle/situation to walk on to aid foot-traffic flow. Not everybody does, but quite a lot of people do.

I forgot you're a fellow Australian.

Would tend to agree with you on that left tendency based on driving. And I was more referring to the maths/computing problem solving as you lie in bed thing. 

I realize now that I have an awfully unique set of teeth.  Emphasis on awful.  None of the people at my orthodontist's office have been able to give me a retainer that fits right, so I have to keep going in to get them.  Some of the assistants told me that in all their years of doing this kind of thing, mine are the first to be like this.  :mellow:

Driving on the left side makes total sense............... I said so to my husband just the other day and I live in North America  :ph34r:

I heard that ex-british-colonies drive on the left, and everyone else does on the right.

Mehhhh, I'm pretty sure that almost all of Europe is lefty and that most of Asia is as well(which does kinda go with what you said as Asia was heavily Britishly colonized. Not sure about S or Central America or the parts of Africa.

We all know the only reason the states drives on the right side is because its the 'right' side.

Different designs of carriages had become popular in different areas of the world, and the right-side/left-side thing became set based on where the driver sat.  Cars just followed the rules carriages had set.

Mehhhh, I'm pretty sure that almost all of Europe is lefty and that most of Asia is as well(which does kinda go with what you said as Asia was heavily Britishly colonized. Not sure about S or Central America or the parts of Africa.

Actually, here's a handy map that shows the division of right-driving versus left. Red is right. Blue is left. I was pretty sure this was the case, since I remember right driving in France, and in all my times doing Geoguessr (brilliant game, by the way, if you haven't played it), most other countries drive on the right.