Facepalm-worthy Moments during Readings

Patrick Star

It took me a while to realize that when Wax stores weight in his metalminds, they don't actually get heavier.

Im not sure if I screwed up by reading AoL before the first Mistborn trilogy, but I had no idea what was going on with Feruchemy. Allomancy was much easier to grasp. I really didnt even grasp Metalminds or Feruchemy until HoA.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Im not sure if I screwed up by reading AoL before the first Mistborn trilogy, but I had no idea what was going on with Feruchemy. Allomancy was much easier to grasp. I really didnt even grasp Metalminds or Feruchemy until HoA.

I did the same thing, but I eventually figured out what the deal was with Feruchemy. It helps that AoL is designed to be able to be read independent of Mistborn and still understand what the Colors is going on.

AoL? Age of Legends? What?

Do Facepalm moments in forums count?

Edited by Vander Honorsworn

Here's another one: After Szeth died, I basically stopped reading the book as he was one of the characters I was most invested in. It took me half a year (after I took it out of the library again) to find out that he lived.

Here's another one: After Szeth died, I basically stopped reading the book as he was one of the characters I was most invested in. It took me half a year (after I took it out of the library again) to find out that he lived.

That is indeed worthy of a facepalm. I read AoL before TFE and such, and since Vin called what she did Luck, it took me a bit to realize she was not using chromium metalminds.

That is indeed worthy of a facepalm. I read AoL before TFE and such, and since Vin called what she did Luck, it took me a bit to realize she was not using chromium metalminds.

Yeah, it took me a while to realize that Sazed tapping his stored strength saving Vin, and Wax making himself lighter/heavier were the same type of magic. Still a facepalm moment remembering how lost I was with feruchemy.

• 2 weeks later...

The moment I finally realised that Taravangian is Hari Seldon and the Diagram is psychohistory.

And this won't make any sense unless you've read Isaac Asimov.

Hmmm... Unfortunately for taravangion, there are probably a lot of 'Mules' running around roshar.

And thats about as far as i got in the foundation series, so i have no idea how much the diagram is supposed to parallel psychohistory after that.

I meant the fact that psychohistory fell apart when a mutant with the ability to manipulate people appeared because it didn't account for something that wildly outside the norm.

it's been over a decade since I read the books, so I could be misremembering much of it......

• 5 months later...

Mistborn spoilers:

After Kelsier died, I kept believing he'd make a dramatic comeback during the next two books. Right up until the moment Sazed became the Hero of Ages. Then I finally thought, 'okay, Kelsier MUST be dead now... I mean Sanderson would have mentioned if he wasn't... right?'

Cue Secret History. You could see the hand-shaped welt on my face for months afterwards

Would you believe I've read most of first Mistborn trilogy without realizing Terris have different skin colour than rest of Scadrians? It took fanart to make me realize my mistake. :unsure:

Wow... Just realized Wax and Wayne... Moon phases... Wow - face-palm.

Even better since Scadrial doesn't have a moon, so they don't even know it's a pun themselves!

I completely missed the fact that Shallan had a shardblade in my first read through of WoK. After I noticed the (super obvious) clues on my second time through I excitedly informed my roommate of my "discovery". His look of disappointment in me makes me face-palm every time I think of it.

So, today I finally realized that the Way of Kings cover had Dalinar in front and Kaladin in the back.  Up until today, I had thought that was Dalinar and Eshonai.

When reading or rereading the two books (so far) what other facepalm-worthy moments have you guys had?  I'm genuinely interested to hear what you guys have to say :)

Most ridiculous (and true) answer wins a cookie!  Or maybe some Rosharian wine.

Way of Kings isn't short of different English language covers.

Sanderson-SA1-WayOfKingsUK-Blog-400x192.

For example. IIRC I've got the Single book version with the one on the Left.

Because I read Words of Radiance before Warbreaker, the enormity of the epilogue was completely lost on me until I saw someone at a signing wearing the shirt with 8-bit Szeth and the caption "Would you like to destroy some evil today?"