Mistborn Fan - Struggling w/ WoK

Dubisx

Hahaha i totally get the Jam thing!

Lost count how many times i rolled my eyes in the Shallan Chapters, i will admit there is alot of character growth so if thats bothering you it will ease up.

I have never had a problem with Kaladins chapters the whole depression thing he has i totally get!

It has always made total sense to me, being in his situation i would be the same and cope not nearly as well.

Personally I listened to the audio book and the narration really brings the book to life and creates a better experience. I have listened to both books  twice now and the second time through I skipped through nearly all of the Shallan/Jasnah parts of the books and I found the book to be more engaging and upbeat. That's just my personal preference. 

Personally I listened to the audio book and the narration really brings the book to life and creates a better experience. I have listened to both books  twice now and the second time through I skipped through nearly all of the Shallan/Jasnah parts of the books and I found the book to be more engaging and upbeat. That's just my personal preference. 

I see you also subscribe to the soothing tones of Michael Kramer?

I sense a kindred spirit, to damnation with Morgan Freeman narrating my life, GIVE ME KRAMER!!!!

You may be asking yourself why I've quoted these 4 people: Sticks. If you keep reading...you'll get to Words of Radiance, and then there you may find a new religion. The Church of the Stick. 

He is a Stick.

We are a Stick.

Everything is a Stick.

Sticks we will all be forever. 

You beat me too it. Too spoilery!!

To me, Stormlight Archives is more strongly character-driven than the original Mistborn trilogy (which I enyoyed tremendously). You get to know the SA characters more deeply - their feelings - their motivations - and that allows you to sense the meaning of the plot in a different way.

Sometimes it's literally painful: I know I entered each Kalladin flashback with more and more dread. His pain is so raw and so vividly written. But in hindsight, it's like it made me feel like I was walking through these awful things with Kaladin, which made it all the sweeter later on when he ... (no spoilers here!)

I totally agree with you here.  All the trials that they go through really gets a connection going.I have such a hard time reading most books now, because I don't feel like I can get to know the characters well enough.  Curse you, Sanderson!  ^_^

It took me a while to get into WoK too.

Though I immediately fell for the Kaladin chapters, Shallan was a challenge. I didn't like her, I didn't like her storyarc, I didn't want to read her chapters and I even caught myself flipping over some pages (shame on me for that. In a re-read I won't to that anymore.).

It was shortly after I finished school and had no idea what to do with my life, bought my first computer and spent my days on the blasted thing and I struggled with the language. I hadn't read that many English books back then (German is my native language) and it was hard to keep up with all the explanations and descriptions. So, I crawled through he pages like a chasmfiends with cut off legs through too narrow chasms. I even read one or two books in between and didn't continue WoK for days, almos weeks.

I sped up when Kaladin was tied up in the Highstorm and discovered his abilities, and in the end, when Sadeas' betrayal came, I read frantically until deep in the night until I was finished. It took me about seven weeks. If I had been into it sooner, I could have made it in less than two.

I never thought about giving up on the book though. For that, I still found it way too good from the beginning.

I don't remember how long it took me to read Mistborn, but I know I was through book one in no time.

With WoR, it was quite similar. It tooke me ten days for the first half, and three for the second. Two weeks whole and I could have done better.

You might want to add a spoiler tag for some of that. Especially since he specifically asked fhat we ommit any big secrets.

This is how I felt about Elantris. I finished the first half in about six days and the second half in one night. I was jumping up and down on the couch. Probably the biggest emotional experience I have gotten from Sanderson's books.

I see you also subscribe to the soothing tones of Michael Kramer?

I sense a kindred spirit, to damnation with Morgan Freeman narrating my life, GIVE ME KRAMER!!!!

Yes! Kramer does such an outstanding job. Through my second listen I am really having fun listening to his Rock and Lopen voices.

• 2 months later...

Make sure to let us know your reactions when you get finished

I finally finished The Way of Kings. You all were right, it was/is an amazing book. It took me a long time to get back to it though. After doing my original post in May, I went back and tried to listen again. I made it through a few more chapters, but the Kate Reading narration was just too excruciating for me to tolerate at the time, and I ended up stopping the book.

Over the next few months I read all of the following books:

- Mageborn (Book #1) by Michael G. Manning (this book was really bad...)

- Whill of Agora (Books 1 & 2) by James Michael Ploof

- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

- Elantris

- Mistborn: The Alloy of Law

- Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper (Highly recommend this book to all Sanderson fans)

After having consumed all those books, the last 2 of which being Michael Kramer narrations - I was left hungering more Kramer. So I decided to give WoK another go. Man I'm glad I did. It definitely helped that the majority of the book turned out to not be read by Kate Reading, so that helped, but wow such a good book. I've already purchased WoR and it's my next book to read.

I can't say that Stormlight Archive #1 is better than Mistborn #1 (because that Kelsier vs Steel Inquisitor fight was flat out amazing), but it looks like Stormlight will end up being the better series.

I couldn't put the book down once I hit the last 20 chapters. WoK will definitely be a book I reread and recommend to my daughter when she gets older.

On your opinion on Kelsier vs Inquisitor, the supernatural fights really only kick in at Words of Radiance. Way of Kings is much more "normal" because the extent of surgebinding in combat is just passive stormlight augmentation.

As a fellow audiobook-er (it's a real word, ok?), I feel your pain with Kate Reading.  I listened to all of Wheel of Time and Stormlight and she is hard to listen to.  Words of Radiance is primarily from Shallan's perspective, so there's a lot of Kate, but you have to press through and get to the end, because it's so worth it. I recommend reading/listening to Warbreaker before WoR though.

And another book that Kramer did that I loved was The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington.  It has an interesting twist that we Sanderfans have come to expect, in my opinion.

Dubisx i am glad you persevered through the book. WOK is set up for a great ending. The last 150 or so pages is awesome. WOR has another amazing ending full of action and surgebinding. So keep going with it and you will enjoy it. You might actually like some of the cool dueling scenes scattered throughout WOR, they bring a nice change to more traditional battle scenes.

Everyone has said it already.

WoK drags in the start and the middle with a thrilling finish.

WoR will keep you glued though. I listened to the audio version and WoR is 10 times the quality of WoK. A whole lot of action, rather than just character background stories...

Why? Is there some info in Warbreaker that helps understand WoR better?

Essentially, yes. There are some very interesting connections which should enhance a scene at the end of WoR immensely.

If I were to talk to myself from the past, I would recommend I read Warbreaker first. It's hardly required, though.

I agree with lord_mistborn4 and Moogle. If I could go back in time and re-read Brandon's works, Warbreaker would have been before Stormlight Archive. I read SA first out of all of his books (excluding WoT, of course), and missed so many references. However, it was extremely rewarding re-reading the series after reading all of his other books, because then everything I missed was suddenly jumping off the page. 

I remember when i was a WOK struggling w Mistborn......

I agree with lord_mistborn4 and Moogle. If I could go back in time and re-read Brandon's works, Warbreaker would have been before Stormlight Archive. I read SA first out of all of his books (excluding WoT, of course), and missed so many references. However, it was extremely rewarding re-reading the series after reading all of his other books, because then everything I missed was suddenly jumping off the page. 

My friend i so so agree with everything you said!!!!

I have read them so many times each.

Yes, it's a bit slow at first, but it's SOOOOOO worth it! It has one of the best climaxes I've read and Words of Radiance is SOOOOOO good as well. The point is, stick with it and it will repay you. A lot.

• 2 years later...

Just finished my 2nd read through listening of The Way of Kings. I enjoyed the book from beginning to end this time and was much more tolerant of Kate Reading after having gone through WoR. Kate's pronunciation of Sadeas in WoK still drives me insane though, and I'm glad she adjusted herself to be more inline with Michael Kramer for WoR.

I'm so excited for Oathbringer to release in November!!!

I have not read all the other comments on this. I am just responding to the original question. 

I love all of Brandon's books, but Stormlight is my favorite series. Currently, my favorite book is the second book in the series Words of Radiance. It is longer book and yet a faster read than Way of Kings. Way of Kings has a very slow start. I did not get hooked until the end of part one and it did not become one of my favorites until the climax. It becomes a great book by the end. However, I think you need to trust Brandon before reading WoK so I always recommend Mistborn or Elantris first. 

That said, yes the is a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel that makes it all worth it. You need to read all of WoK to enjoy my favorite book WoR. So that alone makes it worth the read. Still WoK is very engaging by the end of part one and just gets better and better after that. 

Remember, part one is all set up. Audiobooks do make it easier to get through, but if you finish part one you should be hooked into at least Kaladin's story and that will carry you through the rest. 

On 5/12/2015 at 4:07 PM, Titan Arum said:

You may be asking yourself why I've quoted these 4 people: Sticks. If you keep reading...you'll get to Words of Radiance, and then there you may find a new religion. The Church of the Stick. 

He is a Stick.

We are a Stick.

Everything is a Stick.

Sticks we will all be forever. 

Spoiler

You are fire

• Chaos locked this topic