Inquisitor fight

Vindicator

Well, I just got this idea in my mind. What if you were facing off against an Inquisitor - and you were only an ordinary Misting? What power would you choose to face one?

Personally, I'd use steel, so I could snipe at it from afar. Yeah, it can be negated by an opposing Steelpush, but then Vin did that neat trick with the arrows, and Ranette's bullets worked on the same theory :D

And just to make this interesting, what powers would you choose if you were

1. A Misting

2. A Ferring (Chromium)

2. A Twinborn (Steel and pewter)

3. A Misting with a Hemalurgical spike (Steel and iron)

Iron and steel aren't that useful as they simply allow you to do minor damage. The inquisitor can easily heal a small blow. They could be useful for fleeing.

Tin would not be that useful. They could see you burn it and your speed and strength is not enhanced.

Pewter would be very useful, by removing spikes you could kill them instantly. Smash them once in the head, rip out spikes until they run out. It would fail if they had atium.

Zinc and brass aren't effective on them without a nicroburst, copper lets you hide from them, bronze lets you find them and as such avoid them.

Cadmium could be used to isolate an inquisitor while backup was brought.

Bendalloy could be used to avoid an inquisitor.

Gold wouldn't be useful to you.

Electrum would let you counter atium.

Chromium would let you destroy their powers, rendering them reasonably harmless.

Nicrosil, duralumin, and aluminium wouldn't be that useful on your own.

So I would have three obvious choices. Chromium, electrum, or pewter. I'd probably go for Chromium. Hopefully the shock they would have at losing their powers would give me enough time to rip some spikes out.

Behind that, I would chose electrum to resist atium, or pewter.

As a ferring, I would likely chose to be a steel one. The enhanced speed would let me dodge most blows and rip out spikes. Likewise as a twinborn. Pewter is tempting but you're not any tougher as a pewter ferring.

Misting: Nicrosil, help any other mistings kill them and be able to remove their stores, plus if you Nicroburst them while they're steelpushing on something you could kill them.

Ferring, Steel Tap it all in one quick burst, remove linchpin spike.

Twinborn: Double steel or the two already mentioned, steel and Nicrosil if no compounders are allowed.

Hemalurgic Misting: Duralumin, Pewter just punch their head off.

Iron and steel aren't that useful as they simply allow you to do minor damage. The inquisitor can easily heal a small blow. They could be useful for fleeing.

Tin would not be that useful. They could see you burn it and your speed and strength is not enhanced.

Pewter would be very useful, by removing spikes you could kill them instantly. Smash them once in the head, rip out spikes until they run out. It would fail if they had atium.

Zinc and brass aren't effective on them without a nicroburst, copper lets you hide from them, bronze lets you find them and as such avoid them.

Cadmium could be used to isolate an inquisitor while backup was brought.

Bendalloy could be used to avoid an inquisitor.

Gold wouldn't be useful to you.

Electrum would let you counter atium.

Chromium would let you destroy their powers, rendering them reasonably harmless.

Nicrosil, duralumin, and aluminium wouldn't be that useful on your own.

So I would have three obvious choices. Chromium, electrum, or pewter. I'd probably go for Chromium. Hopefully the shock they would have at losing their powers would give me enough time to rip some spikes out.

Behind that, I would chose electrum to resist atium, or pewter.

As a ferring, I would likely chose to be a steel one. The enhanced speed would let me dodge most blows and rip out spikes. Likewise as a twinborn. Pewter is tempting but you're not any tougher as a pewter ferring.

Ah crap, I forgot about chromium's Allomantic abilities. Yeah, I'd definitely use that, but I'd need to be quick to get in a touch... the reason I'd use steel is because I get to snipe from afar, or use a shot coin to trigger traps. I think it's nigh impossible to beat an Inquisitor as a Misting from close range, even if you have pewter.

Also, I forgot to mention it, but atium and electrum aren't usable in this scenario, mainly because I feel they're overpowered. Goldminds too, have limited usages of healing. Say, about 3-5?

I'm with Nepene: I'd want Chromium. One touch is all I'd need, though I wouldn't be confident in getting it. Neutralizing everything but feruchemical healing (if that particular Inquisitor even has it) will render them not only powerless, but blind as well. Since I'm up against someone likely way more skilled and fit than I am, I want every advantage I can get. Totally boned against Atium, but who isn't?

Since we're tossing out other choices as well, I'd want Steel feruchemy, but I'd use it like Ham used Pewter. Burst here and there to lend an edge rather than going all out, at least until I see a good opportunity. For a Twinborn, I'd want both. The speed would make it so much easier to land a Chromium strike, I might even survive. As for my Hemalurgic misting form, it would be H-Pewter and Chromium, for the same reason.

Yeah, it would, but then it does leave them blind - I recall a passage somewhere in Mistborn: The Final Empire where Kar mentions seeing people through the metals they ingested. It would still leave them with their Feruchemical abilities, but afaik those under the Lord Ruler (except for Marsh) only have a goldmind.

Yeah I reckon the easiest way to win is Chromium Steel as a twinborn, lunge from too far back for them to react and slap them in the face, step around them and remove the spike while they're shocked from sudden blindness. This assumes I'm physically strong enough to remove the spike, if not pewter twinborn all the way.

Feruchemical healing was definitely one of the more common spikes but they all had the same numbers when under TLR so they had to have something else that we didn't see, probably a few of them had speed and I think one of them probably had strength, I'd have to check.

On them being blind I'm not too sure, they do see with the same blue lines as from Steel and Iron but if they had to burn these at all times just to see they'd need to carry large amounts with them and they'd also be blind every morning when they wake up after digesting the night before, they're also much much stronger than what ordinary allomancers see, I always figured it was just a passive effect of the eye-spikes. I'm also pretty sure that at some point Inquisitors were Duralumin burning weren't they? That should leave them blind as well by this theory.

I'd probably go for either chromium or nicrosil, probably nicrosil for added punch when their tin explodes.

As a ferring the only real option I have is to go for steel and make a grab for the linchpin. None of the other abilities are very helpful....

!!!!!

Inquisitors have extra iron/steel, which is the only way they can see metals in the body. Otherwise, the investment in it would block out the metal signals.

Ergo, if you stored investure and then tapped it while fighting an inquisitor......you'd be invisible to it. Granted, they could try to listen with tin, but now they can't see you and will likely be wierded out at not being able to. I love it.

Twinborn nicroburst and soulbearer. All the way.

Inquisitors have extra iron/steel, which is the only way they can see metals in the body. Otherwise, the investment in it would block out the metal signals.

If it was just strength in Iron/Steel then Elend would get it even stronger than the Inquisitors, which is never mentioned, and although that's not exactly proof it is suggestive.

They need to be Savants to see the tiny lines from metal impurities. I'd guess they can't actually see metal inside people's bodies, because that would be a pretty excellent Allomancy detector and Sazed couldn't have smuggled in swallowed metalminds. They probably see sweat and dead skin to get images of people.

I'd have to go with Chromium too. They've got enough power in Steel to outmatch Vin, who is stronger than Kelsier, who specializes in Iron and Steel. So using Steel against them has little future. Yeah, there's Vin's trick with the arrows, but that didn't exactly put them down for long.

Ah crap, I forgot about chromium's Allomantic abilities. Yeah, I'd definitely use that, but I'd need to be quick to get in a touch... the reason I'd use steel is because I get to snipe from afar, or use a shot coin to trigger traps. I think it's nigh impossible to beat an Inquisitor as a Misting from close range, even if you have pewter.

Also, I forgot to mention it, but atium and electrum aren't usable in this scenario, mainly because I feel they're overpowered. Goldminds too, have limited usages of healing. Say, about 3-5?

Chromium is pretty cool.

You might be able to ambush them. Go to them and say you have some key news, touch their hand. Then while they are reeling rip spikes out. The problem with steel is you'd be unlikely to get a confirmed kill.

If you have superior combat skills as a trained warrior you might be able to overwhelm an inquisitor. Punch them in the head and knife them in the chest, then while they are stunned rip out a spike. A baseline human could do that. You could even cut their head off with one powerful surprise stroke.

Atium and electrum aren't usable by you or by inquisitors?

Inquisitors seeing internal metals is a matter of skill, Brandon mentions in the annotations somewhere that anyone theoretically could do it. Some may have had duralumin, but it was a rare metal as you'd have to spike a mistborn to get it.

I recall the Final Empire mentioning how Kar could see people and objects from the metal inside them. It pretty much mentions how everything has metal in it, so Inquisitors could see things via iron lines.

Anyone has a Q&A answer from Brandon regarding this? From what I see, it looks like a possible plot hole, although I'd understand how Sazed was able to smuggle his metalminds - they likely thought it was something he ingested along with food and/or drink.

And yes, in this scenario, atium and electrum are not available.

They need to be Savants to see the tiny lines from metal impurities. I'd guess they can't actually see metal inside people's bodies, because that would be a pretty excellent Allomancy detector and Sazed couldn't have smuggled in swallowed metalminds. They probably see sweat and dead skin to get images of people.

I'd have to go with Chromium too. They've got enough power in Steel to outmatch Vin, who is stronger than Kelsier, who specializes in Iron and Steel. So using Steel against them has little future. Yeah, there's Vin's trick with the arrows, but that didn't exactly put them down for long.

Vin wasn't trying to kill them either, just get into the Lord Ruler's private sanctum. Modify the arrows a lil' bit, and you might be able to get something that kills an Inquisitor. Like say, poison that paralyzes them or something? As far as I know, goldminds can't heal poisoning, although I could be wrong. I think aluminium was the one that could cleanse you of impurities, especially if you were a savant. Brandon mentioned this in a Q&A transcript I read.

Feruchemical healing was definitely one of the more common spikes but they all had the same numbers when under TLR so they had to have something else that we didn't see, probably a few of them had speed and I think one of them probably had strength, I'd have to check.

Per Brandon, the Lord Ruler kept a lot from them to keep them under control. No feruchemical abilities other than gold are described until after Vin kills him, and Vin and Elend never saw speed until Vetitan, so Steel is right out.

On them being blind I'm not too sure, they do see with the same blue lines as from Steel and Iron but if they had to burn these at all times just to see they'd need to carry large amounts with them and they'd also be blind every morning when they wake up after digesting the night before, they're also much much stronger than what ordinary allomancers see, I always figured it was just a passive effect of the eye-spikes. I'm also pretty sure that at some point Inquisitors were Duralumin burning weren't they? That should leave them blind as well by this theory.

The relevant quote:

Almost everything had metal in it -- water, stone, glass... even human bodies. These metals were too diffuse to be affected by Allomancy -- indeed, most Allomancers couldn't even sense them.

With his Inquisitor's eyes, however, Kar could see the iron-lines of these things -- the blue threads were fine, nearly invisible, but they outlined the world for him.

He's seeing iron lines that he specifies *most* other Allomancers aren't sensitive enough to. It certainly sounds like a Savant power to me, even in context. I don't recall any Inquisitor using Duralumin, by the by. If you can find a reference, by all means. It's been a while since I read the later books.

They'd have to be blind for years to become Savants too, Marsh could see right away.

While it's not canon per se, the Mistborn Adventure Game has you become a Savant as soon as your powers reach a certain level. You can either exercise your Allomancy for years and years... or get spiked and become one immediately.

If it was just strength in Iron/Steel then Elend would get it even stronger than the Inquisitors, which is never mentioned, and although that's not exactly proof it is suggestive.

Assuming they don't get double Steel and double Iron and edge him out by a narrow degree. It also may have just been unimportant to the story, and Elend could see like that.

Edited by Eric

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/annotation/198/Mistborn-2-Chapter-Twelve

By the way, you probably remember form book one the way that Inquisitors see. They have such a subtle touch with Steel and Iron, and their lines, that they can see via the trace metals in everyone's bodies and in the objects around them.

The thing is, any Allomancer with access to iron or steel could learn to do this. Some have figured it out, in the past, but in current times, nobody—at least, nobody the heroes know—is aware of this. Except, of course, for Marsh.

It's not a matter of power.

Edit.

With the mistborn adventure game, becoming a savant is not automatic.

The process of awakening as a Savant is demanding: a Misting constantly burns and

frequently flares metals through most waking hours. After several months of

this, he or she may trigger the change, though the Narrator may always veto it

on the grounds that it isn’t supported by the current story or isn’t appropriate

for the character.

With Narrator approval, a Misting with a Power rating of 7+ may spend

10 Advancements to become a Savant, gaining two “free” Nudges with each

roll of his or her Power (see page 124).

Edited by Nepene

We've already seen how more power penetrates the body's investment better, so I'm still sticking with the idea that more investment would fade the already trace lines out even more, making you far less visible, if not invisible to the inquisitors.

Each basic Inquisitor had 11 spikes. They had 8 Chest spikes, 2 eye spikes and the Linchpin spike. This leads me to believe that they have the 8 basic metals, atium, and gold feruchemy with some not getting atium and getting something else instead. They then have double steel making them considerably stronger than even a leresium mistborn. In that one power.

btw my assumption of power scale is leresium is 1, Vin is .8, kelsier/normal is .7, and therefore each inquisitor spike is also .7 with some miniscule loss as the spike is never really out of a body, when making an inquisitor they drive it straight through the body of the victim into the inquisitor, so maybe it drops as far as .69, but negligible power drop regardless.

Vin wasn't trying to kill them either, just get into the Lord Ruler's private sanctum. Modify the arrows a lil' bit, and you might be able to get something that kills an Inquisitor. Like say, poison that paralyzes them or something? As far as I know, goldminds can't heal poisoning, although I could be wrong.

I think Wayne got poisoned in Alloy of Law, and was just annoyed by it.

Ah, right. Well, that leaves poison out, but explosives might do the trick. Been wondering if we'll see such a fight in the modern Mistborn trilogy.

He survived an explosion as well I think, although as improvements are made it'd be harder to recover from.