Rant Here!

trendkill

I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes, I just need to rant. Whether it be that I've had a bad day, or something just gets under my skin, all I need/want to do is yell and scream about it. Problem is, most people, when listening to a rant session, want to either fix the problem or give advice, which is not the point of a rant.

I thought that it would be therapeutic to have a thread here where anyone can just rant to their hearts content and be able to get things out. Of course, we will want to keep the language clean, and nothing offensive. Talk about what's bugging you or your horrible day, and take a nice deep breath! You'll feel much better!

(When I originally started typing this up, I had a really good rant to start us off, but I've since forgotten what it was even about...)

And now time for my first rant in the thread I started. Woo!

I received a letter today from my insurance company thanking me for "going green". I'm sorry, but really???? Why would you send me a letter thanking me for opting to receive information electronically instead of through the mail?? Doesn't this defeat the entire purpose?

I didn't go green to save your company money (I'm paying you enough to know that you're not hurting for cash). I did it because I want to limit the amount of paper that I'm only going to glance at anyway! And then you send me a letter, which you obviously know that I don't want to receive, telling me that you're not going to send me any more letters. Well thank you, but I kind of already knew that when I opted for the e-notifications!

Stupid corporations and their need to bother me endlessly...

Wow, perfect way to vent. K, here goes.

It all starts with girls. "The Creator made women to please the eye and trouble the mind." There are currently three girls who have decided now would be a good time to trouble my mind. One is my closest friend at my school, who lives far away from me and has no time to hang out, but still finds it in her heart to flirt like crazy with me. The second is my friend who is taken and yet for some reason has decided that at parties, my lap was the best chair in the place. Normally I don't have a problem with this, but she IS taken by a close friend of mine. And then she rants to me about how much she misses her boyfriend. Oh, and her boyfriend's mom teaches at the school I go to. Fun stuff. The third girl... is this girl's roomate. Yay.

Then we move into school. I'm not failing, but I'm doing much worse than I should be doing. My English teacher has decided that it takes two weeks to teach college level students proper MLA format, which I've known how to do since 7th grade. Her class is retardedly easy, and has allowed me to sink into the mindset of "I can get away with the minimum work." Which I can in her class. I wrote an essay in half an hour and got 100% on it. I can't do that in other classes though, but this mindset is affecting how I'm doing in my other classes. I'm starting to do the minimum work, and my grades are slipping because of it. Then because of this, I had to give up on NaNoWriMo as I caught back up in my work for my other classes, and then my English teacher decides to throw at us a bunch of crem dung busywork that does not affect my learning at all. I haven't learned a damnation thing in this class. I have three books that I need to have read in a week (one of them needs to be finished tonight), and I idiotically decided that yesterday was a good time to buy A Storm of Swords. Yay distractions!

And on to life in general, my family has decided that daily shouting matches weren't enough, so now they're being moved to thrice a day. My best friend is on his mission in the DR, and I haven't seen him in almost a year and a half now, and whomever is supposed to collect his letters is being lazy about it. Thus, I don't have any communication with my best friend except a letter that he sends me about every other month, due to his being too busy to get himself to a post office, and the people who are supposed to get his letters to a post office aren't doing their jobs. It's infuriating. My closest friends other than him have decided that SoCal wasn't good enough for them, so they decided to go to schools on the other side of the [bleep] country. Except one, who is the second girl I mentioned in my rant about the finer sex.

I just want this semester to be over. Thank you for making this topic readily available, Trend. This felt really good.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, so far, is being underwhelming. Its story is not up to par. As a die-hard Golden Sun fan, this is depressing.

The first game opened with death, kidnapping, and a volcano erupting. At the end of the first town, you need to stop Saturos and Menardi from lighting the Elemental Lighthouses, because that will unleash Alchemy, and the magical power will create lots of strife. World changing stuff. There was a weight of importance to this.

In Dark Dawn, the opening is that you have to rescue your friend Tyrell. Not because he was kidnapped, though, because he is a moron who used a flying device he couldn't possibly control. Way to go, Tyrell.

So apparently my Biology teacher doesn't believe in actually teaching the subject.

Stuff I ALREADY KNOW is being taught and the way he teaches is the worst way I learn: group disccusion (spelling).  I mean really, its gotten to the point where we spend 20 minutes talking about whatever he is teaching now (which is cells (I learned this 5 grades ago!)), and 70 minutes of lazing about or playing on the handy laptops that are just sitting there.

• 2 months later...

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Rezzes a thread*

<rant>

I hate arguing on the internet, so I'm just going to rant here where you all have to listen to me :D. 0's and 1's are 0's and 1's, no matter how fancy your HDMI cable is. I don't care that the connector is gold, I really don't. It makes it more conductive, yes, but HDMI relies on DATA, not electrical current.....

UGH... anyway, a friend of mine on facebook went off about how a customer at his work today (he works at a Radio Shack) told him that all HDMI cables preform within an acceptable range, and you'd get nearly the same performance out of a $10 cord, as you would a $300 Monster HDMI cable. He quoted sources stating that both CNET and Engadget say that a better cord will preform better, but when I went looking at CNET, guess what they said?!? They said that a cheap cord to their Video Editors performed EXACTLY the same visually as the most expensive one on the market. Plus, HDMI Licensing requires ALL HDMI cables to lose less than 1 in A Billion pixels, when the human eye can't detect a loss of one in a thousand.

</rant>

<sources>

Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI cables

PCWorld Article: The Cable Game

Popular Mechanics Article: Brand-Name HDMI Cables: Are They Worth It?

</sources>

makes me think of this. I always tell people, the price of the cord is likely to ONLY affect build quality (e.g. how soon it falls apart/breaks, how durable it is, etc.) and will have NOTHING to do with the quality of its output.

And even then, CNET uses cheapo cords, and they've been holding up to the constant shifting of equipment that CNET has to do for all their testing, so it's really not too bad. And besides, I'd rather buy three $10 cords and spend $30 then spend $300 for one cord, ya know?

It's just common sense. When you get what you pay for, save up and invest in something that'll last. When it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. Might as well save yourself the extra money, which you can then spend on something more important.

• 3 weeks later...

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO! :angry: Just as I was approaching the endgame on Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, my stupid third party memory card (my parents bought it for me years ago) decided to become corrupted. This has happened before, and usually reinserting the card is enough for the machine to go, "Oh, never mind, this works fine." But not this time. :( Now I can format it and lose all my game data, or I can never use it again, and still not have my game data. 35 hours! WASTED! *Sob*

Invision Power Services, your product is awesome, but your customer support is decidedly lacking. I mean, for one thing, users can't even start topics in the tech support section. Also, your moderators are rude and unhelpful. I am heavily displeased with you. *shakes fist*

• 1 month later...

Okay, it's stupid for me to get worked up about math questions on FACEBOOK, of all places, but this is just ridiculous. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=1967593674538&qa_ref=qd

The question is 6/2(1+2)=? Is it 1, or is it 9?

I have a couple of responses for everyone. Because apparently people have very strong opinions on the order of operations, I guess, but there sure as heck aren't 400,000 math majors currently, so I'm going to rant.

The simple solution is to put another friggin' set of parentheses. (6/2)(1+2) or 6/(2(1+2)). Ambiguity solved. It's almost as if parentheses help clarify the order of operations or something! Madness!

Everyone who is screaming about this on Facebook need to realize that math is all about created unambiguity. Writing down a trick question like this does not make you clever, it makes you a jerk. Poorly worded questions are beneficial to no one. This is essentially math trolling.

Really, when you come right down to it, math is not about creating understanding. For people learning math, this sucks, but sorry. Math is about being impossible to misunderstand, and the writer of this question clearly never took that clue.

(My TI-89 and WolframAlpha agree it is 9. I myself don't care that much about PEMBAS, or whatever people are screaming about. Just write an extra set of parentheses)

Okay, it's stupid for me to get worked up about math questions on FACEBOOK, of all places, but this is just ridiculous. http://www.facebook....74538&qa_ref=qd

The question is 6/2(1+2)=? Is it 1, or is it 9?

I have a couple of responses for everyone. Because apparently people have very strong opinions on the order of operations, I guess, but there sure as heck aren't 400,000 math majors currently, so I'm going to rant.

The simple solution is to put another friggin' set of parentheses. (6/2)(1+2) or 6/(2(1+2)). Ambiguity solved. It's almost as if parentheses help clarify the order of operations or something! Madness!

Everyone who is screaming about this on Facebook need to realize that math is all about created unambiguity. Writing down a trick question like this does not make you clever, it makes you a jerk. Poorly worded questions are beneficial to no one. This is essentially math trolling.

Really, when you come right down to it, math is not about creating understanding. For people learning math, this sucks, but sorry. Math is about being impossible to misunderstand, and the writer of this question clearly never took that clue.

(My TI-89 and WolframAlpha agree it is 9. I myself don't care that much about PEMBAS, or whatever people are screaming about. Just write an extra set of parentheses)

Aren't you then supposed to go from left to right?

Aren't you then supposed to go from left to right?

I don't really care. Parentheses>Multiplication>Addition.

From there, just group things with parentheses until you're done.

words_that_end_in_gry.png

I was actually thinking of this when I wrote the rant. :D

It's 9. when there's no parentheses and the net 2 steps have the same priority you go left to right to solve it, so it would be 6/2(1+2) which would go to 6/2(3) or 6/2*3 since that is essentially the same thing sot then 6/2=3 (duh) and 3*3=9.

People that say 1 are stupid. Google and Chaos' calculator agree with me.

if there's anything you'll learn in life, it's that people are dumb at math as a general thing. Overall, the population itself is pretty poor at math, because they forget how simple algebra works once outside of a classroom (and for some, inside the classroom as well).

now, if you want debate about real math subjects, i recommend looking into the debates that rage about 0.9999... equaling 1. Those debates are always fun to read