Rant Here!

trendkill

Would anyone be impressed if I said that I figured those problems out in my head? No? That's about what I expected with Chaos here.

It sounds more like they're teaching you how to debate than to do math.

Congratulations, you can do geometry ;)

The first problem is easy, but the second problem is imprecise for me to work on that. Also, they are boring.

• 4 weeks later...

It's just like those weird problems about if one car leaves home going 35mph, and the other car leaves going 50 mph, when will they cross paths?

Answer: I don't care.

And yes, I really did have to do those in high school Physics class. I don't think I ever got one right.

It's just like those weird problems about if one car leaves home going 35mph, and the other car leaves going 50 mph, when will they cross paths?

Answer: I don't care.

And yes, I really did have to do those in high school Physics class. I don't think I ever got one right.

Of course you didn't get it right, your physics class is using imperial units :P

I just discovered something I really hate: Incorrectly named network workstations.

I had to walk throughout my school and turn on every single electronic device, then sit and wait for the network scan to get the data from every device, only to discover that I have to search every device and find the two incorrectly named computers then change their names.

• 6 months later...

A few weeks ago they released a dashboard update for the Xbox that you have to download to connect to Xbox Live, and by extension to get any patches to fix bugs in any games, (that last part is important for what happens next)

So anyways, I try and download the update and every thing appears to be going fine. The download bar fills up and the Xbox restarts, but when it loads up the dashboard thee is the notification still there that I need to update my console. I try redownloading several more times and every time the same thing happens. I go online and try all the troubleshooting tips they give me but still nothing works. I contact tech support and spend about 3 hours explaining to them what was happening.They have me go through all of the same solutions I have already tried and still nothing works, I'm not even getting the error code for something going wrong, it just keeps telling me to download the update. They could not figure anything out and had to send the transcript of our conversation to a more specialized department and said I shouldn't expect to get an email from them for at least 2 weeks.

The real problem wasn't their customer service because they were fantastic, what is the problem is that one of the troubleshooting steps they had me try was clearing the console cache where every game update you ever download gets stored. Well now I can't redownload the update that got deleted when I did that because it won't let me until I download the system update that isn't working. Now even that wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't for the fact that deleting all my game updates didn't make it so that for some games I can't load any save files that had an update when I saved them that is not there now.

TL;DR

Contacting Microsoft tech-support made my +100-hour Skyrim file unplayable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm reviving this thread. It's too good to let die.

Plus, I really, really, really, REALLY hate my job. (I'm a "shirt counter" at a drycleaner. Actually, I quit three months ago, but they couldn't find anyone to replace me, so I'm "helping out" on Saturdays, because I don't know how to say "no.")

*Deep breath*

Part One: Customers

Some people really need to learn to do their own *bleep*ing laundry. A standard cotton men's dress shirt can be thrown in the washing machine. THAT'S WHAT WE DO TO IT! Why pay $2.50 per shirt to have someone else do it? And, if you do this, don't complain to the people who work there about how expensive it is. Especially if you then proceed to pay your $2.50 check with a hundred-dollar bill. And don't roll your eyes at me when your change is mostly ones.

Seriously, Customer - Drycleaner Employee interactions should be businesslike, straight-forward and clearly communicated. Tell me how many *bleep*ing shirts you have, how much starch you want, and when you want them back. (And do you really need all twelve identical shirts tomorrow? We both know you aren't going to pick them up for another month anyway.) I don't want to hear about how nice and/or miserable the weather is. I can see it. I don't want to hear about your three-month vacation to Italy, your children, your pets, or your trip to the circus/opera/museum/gynecologist. There is being polite, and then there's being condescending. And then there's being pretentious.

You know, this one time, this guy dropped off a $1300 sweater. A sweater. I could get a car for that much. People come in once every three months with all their laundry, and leave it in smelly piles on the counters for us to wade through for two hours. I don't think I'm alone in saying that I strongly dislike handling strangers' dirty underwear (which we just throw away). And I understand that incontinence is an embarrassing issue that older people have sometimes. But can you not just drop your soiled pants on the counter and run? It's unhygienic.

P.S. I keep all the money I find in your pockets. I still think you all owe me.

Part Two: Co-Worker (I only have the one)

Learn to speak English. Do not question my upbringing. Do not talk about my mother. Do not insult me to customers. Do not make assumptions about my life. Do not use those assumptions to get me in trouble. Do not actively seek opportunities to tell me I've done something wrong. You will do this anyway, so; In the event that an accusation of error on my part turns out to be false, do not just huff and then ignore me for an hour. *bleep*ing admit you were wrong, *bleep*! Do not talk to me like I'm stupid.

I am not a pack-mule. I am not your personal lackey. I am not there to do your job for you. I know *bleep* well that you can hear the door open when you're sitting in the corner filing your nails. If you see a customer walking in, and I'm still counting rich old men's shirts, don't run and hide in the back room. That's just straight bull*bleep*. This passive-aggressive "I'm going to ignore the customer because I don't feel like dealing with it, even though they came in through my door" game is getting old, fast. We have a system, stick to it. You deal with more customers because I have more work to do (which includes all the stuff you're too stubborn/frail to do. Old *bleep*. Retire.)

If it were not for you, this job would have been tolerable.

Part Three: Employers

I was twenty when you hired me. This was never intended to be a rest-of-my-life deal. I thought you understood that. I understand that it's your entire life, but I don't want it to be mine as well. It's a job. It got me that awesome trip to Montreal and my Xbox. (In exchange, I might add, for being reminded of the grotesque economic class disparity in Norfolk every *bleep*ing day for eight months. Not fun.)

(I was being paid more than minimum wage, and that still wasn't enough to support myself on. Logical flaw, Norfolk City Council. Tighten it up.)

I realize I may not have quit under the best circumstances. But I offered you multiple candidates to replace me. I even offered to train them without pay. It's not my fault you only want to hire girls. It's not my problem that you're short a worker. It was not fair to call me three months after the fact and ask me to come back. You're lucky you've got me on Saturdays. Not cool asking me to come back full time.

Actually, that's not really accurate. I worked six days a week before I quit, but it only amounted to about thirty-eight hours per week. Because my employers were too cheap to give me two extra hours, thus classifying me as working "full-time." That would have required them to give me benefits like health insurance.

I once gave myself second-degree burns with a bowl of Ramen noodles. Sweetness needs *bleep*ing health insurance, man!

Part Four: Non-Work-Related Rants

I am not a chauffeur! Gas is four dollars a gallon. Starbucks is no longer adequate payment for rides. Certain people need to get their driver's licenses.

(Thanks guys, I needed that <3 ^_^)

I know. They just caught me off guard. Plus, if I can't think of an at least semi-plausible excuse for not doing something, I feel obligated to do it.

And Rainbow (I've decided that you're just "Rainbow" now, because that's easier ^_^), I'm pretty certain they can't afford to pay me more. And if they have me doing more than forty hours a week, they are required by the state to provide health care and things like that. They definitely can't afford that.

And I can't believe you guys actually took the time to read that. Have I mentioned recently that this place is amazing? I really appreciate that <3 <3 <3

Edited by Sweetness

I know. They just caught me off guard. Plus, if I can't think of an at least semi-plausible excuse for not doing something, I feel obligated to do it.

Here, let me give you some.

"I'm playing video games, which is a way more enjoyable use of time than working for this hellscape."

"I'm cleaning gum out of my hair."

"My car broke down for the past six months. It simply can't survive the drive to get to work. It'll drive me everywhere else, but strangely, not there. Funny, that."

"I'm making out with my Canadian boyfriend. Yes, all day."

"I got another job."

"I'm moving away to Alaska. Sorry. Bye, you all suck."

"My cat had kittens. Yes, again."

Pick any, or a combination of them.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find lying to get out of working for people you hate to be morally wrong. You have zero obligation to work for them. If you like, quit again and when they call you up again, spew profanity. That'll work :P Okay, not a really mature reaction, especially if you're putting the employment experience on your resume. If you've worked with them long enough, you'll probably have to. But still. You do not have to be nice to people who are awful to you. It's a hard conversation to say no when they need your help, but you know what? You'll be better off.

And I'm sorry, the "we'll only hire girls" thing is BS. In this economy, they can find some other poor sap to drain the life out of. You have zero obligation to help them. If they really can't find anyone to replace you when there are people looking for jobs, perhaps they don't deserve to be in business and kind of suck at the whole "hey maybe let's not abuse our employees and have unreasonable expectations of them." It's not your fault if they suck.

Yes, work isn't supposed to be happy-go-lucky-fun-time, it's work. But it's also not supposed to be judgmental-unreasonable-hellscape-oh-God-why-do-I-even-wake-up-to-go-to-this-place.

Just leave. They are not your friends. And if you left on poor circumstances and they still asked you back, clearly you need to make a bigger ruckus :P

This is literally the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard! Asking you to come back almost full time months after you quit? I can't even believe that there are people out there like this. I thought when you mentioned this in the chatbox you were being sarcastic but this is just awful. Don't feel guilty about telling them you quit, they've treated you like trash so they don't deserve your sympathy. I'm sure they'll be calling you before long after you quit again. Also not hiring guys? For what reason? That's just stupid, maybe if they had accepted applications from males they still wouldn't be attempting to fill a position three months later. I'm so sorry that they do this to you.

Well, since they aren't willing to pay you properly, perhaps you should start demanding non-monetary compensations. For example, perhaps the owner and other employee are required to call you "Her High majesty Sweetness, First of Her Name, Mistress of the Nine Shirts, Overseer of the Pantlands, Harbinger of Starch, Holder of the Sacred Steam press, and Destroyer of All." Then, when they refuse to meet your reasonable demands, bam, excuse to tell them off and storm out.

Well, since they aren't willing to pay you properly, perhaps you should start demanding non-monetary compensations. For example, perhaps the owner and other employee are required to call you "Her High majesty Sweetness, First of Her Name, Mistress of the Nine Shirts, Overseer of the Pantlands, Harbinger of Starch, Holder of the Sacred Steam press, and Destroyer of All." Then, when they refuse to meet your reasonable demands, bam, excuse to tell them off and storm out.

I like this. I like this a lot. You are my friend now. ^_^