It's possible but they would have been pretty strict with making sure no one smuggled any out for anything, PP is probably going to be getting rid of some of his tech now that he's openly using his powers, I might write in something about them interfering with his powers. I was thinking he'd give them to Funtimes for her Vanillas but we could try to work something out with Angel.

Does he have other pieces of Epic technology besides the energy projectors?

Cool. Thanks. :) I was thinking I'd change his name to Blight, though Ozymandias is a lot more badchull. 

I like the name Blight. Ozymandias is pretty cool too, though. (And I'm not just saying that because I came up with the name. Why do you ask? :P)

Does he have other pieces of Epic technology besides the energy projectors?

I like the name Blight. Ozymandias is pretty cool too, though. (And I'm not just saying that because I came up with the name. Why do you ask? :P)

A kind of magnetic force-field projector, and some other miscellaneous currently not shown stuff.

General question: I'm considering pinning the Epics of Oregon thread. Thoughts?

Second question: Kobold, Lightwards was one of the early Epics, correct? How long before or after Annexation was the approximate date of his attack on his university?

Sure, sounds good.

Can you tell me when I said that Altermind set up Thoughttown? I can't quite remember and I'm not sure where I put it.

Did you guys see my question about Desolation?

No problems here that I could see. He´s actually not close to being to strong for Astoria, given that he doesn´t even has a proper PI. (I´m judging this based on Firefight.

The Epic Puño de fuego, which ironically roughly translates to Firefist or Fist of fire, had enough damage resistance that they needed a tank to kill him, yet he wasn´t a High Epic.

Were there any RP characters who received their powers early enough to make headlines in September 2014 (working off the assumption that Steelheart took power in September 2015)?

As Kobold said Voidgaze would have been around. The time right after her turning was actually rather bad, so she might have made it into the news but given that Dawnslight didn´t make it into the news I´m not sure if she would have.

I caught the reference. :ph34r:

Also, Sam? People are fun. They're not fun to eat. It's an important distinction. :P

Obviously she was already learning from Funtimes in the past.

Dave is BusDriver :P.

Is anybody opposed to having Angel's uncle be one of the ones that was killed in PP's lab? I kind of want her to be able to use some Epic tech that she got from him :P.

Against the uncle, not really. Against the tech, yes. Leaving aside all the contrivance that would bring with it, tech like that would make the family a pretty big target, should anyone have got wind of it in the years they apparently just had lying around. Getting it from a Blackmarket dealer also doesn´t make sense, because that stuff is expensive. The Reckoners literally had to pay in Epic corpses and that was a bargain because no one could afford using it.

(It probably doesn´t help that Firefight made me more sceptical on random scientists having figured out how to build it... and it doesn´t help that they shouldn´t have the founding and electricity necessary, now that I think about it. :huh:)

A kind of magnetic force-field projector, and some other miscellaneous currently not shown stuff.

That one he already gave to Funtimes/Nathan. As for the miscellaneaous stuff, nothing that would be overdoing it I trust? (How did he manage to grab all of those out of a destroyed lab while being positevely insane?)

Edited by Edgedancer

Sure, sounds good.

No problems with that, I could see. He´s actually not close to being to strong fo Astoria, given that he doesn´t even has a proper PI. (I´m judging this based on Firefight.

The Epic Puño de fuego, which ironically roughly translates to Firefist or Fist of fire, had enough damage resistance that they needed a tank to kill him, yet he wasn´t a High Epic.

As Kobold said Voidgaze would have been around. The time right after her turning was actually rather bad, so she might have made it into the news. Nighthound also got his powers shortly before Annexation day, but given that Dawnslight didn´t make it into the news I´m not sure if he would have. It´s not like he started out the monster he´s now.

Obviously she was already learning from Funtimes in the past.

Against the uncle, not really. Against the tech, yes. Leaving aside all the contrivance that would bring with it, tech like that would make the family a pretty big target, should anyone have got wind of it in the years they apparently just had lying around. Getting it from a Blackmarket dealer also doesn´t make sense, because that stuff is expensive. The Reckoners literally had to pay in Epic corpses and that was a bargain because no one could afford using it.

(It probably doesn´t help that Firefight made me more sceptical on random scientists having figured out how to build it... and it doesn´t help that they shouldn´t have the founding and electricity necessary, now that I think about it. :huh:)

That one he already gave to Funtimes/Nathan. As for the miscellaneaous stuff, nothing that would be overdoing it I trust? (How did he manage to grab all of those out of a destroyed lab while being positevely insane?)

When I wrote that I wrote that he had a few of the magnetic field things.

This was before we knew about Motivators so I thought they could have produced quite a few. So this might not strictly be Epic tech like what we're familiar with but rather just tech based on observing Epic powers.

The miscellaneous stuff is in various stages of functionality, he basically just kept whatever he could find. The energy-gloves are in the best state of functionality and the most powerful form of technology. The rest was picked up from minor Epics, things like a water dowser, some gloves that can weaken stone (Basically a far weaker form of tensor that only works on stone and the stone still needs to be scooped out)

The Protector grabbed the tech when he emerged, PP didn't know about it or consider any of them his powers.

When I wrote that I wrote that he had a few of the magnetic field things.

This was before we knew about Motivators so I thought they could have produced quite a few. So this might not strictly be Epic tech like what we're familiar with but rather just tech based on observing Epic powers.

The miscellaneous stuff is in various stages of functionality, he basically just kept whatever he could find. The energy-gloves are in the best state of functionality and the most powerful form of technology. The rest was picked up from minor Epics, things like a water dowser, some gloves that can weaken stone (Basically a far weaker form of tensor that only works on stone and the stone still needs to be scooped out)

The Protector grabbed the tech when he emerged, PP didn't know about it or consider any of them his powers.

You know, I find it a bit ironic that the guy (aka you) that just recently argued the hardship the Panda would have to face running a facility has his own caracter mass produce high tech gear, after the government that founded him completely collapsed.

You know, I find it a bit ironic that the guy (aka you) that just recently argued the hardship the Panda would have to face running a facility has his own caracter mass produce high tech gear, after the government that founded him completely collapsed.

PP was part of a large, already established team of scientists, maintenance staff, lab techs and engineers working specifically on making that tech for most of their careers. And they had access to a facility which had been specifically built for them to function independently. 

Panda's suggestion was that 1 biologist (Which is a hugely broad field) managed by himself to run a functioning cloning facility large enough to produce an army.

PP was part of a large, already established team of scientists, maintenance staff, lab techs and engineers working specifically on making that tech for most of their careers. And they had access to a facility which had been specifically built for them to function independently. 

Panda's suggestion was that 1 biologist (Which is a hugely broad field) managed by himself to run a functioning cloning facility large enough to produce an army.

The situation are quite different, true. Although, I´m not sure that the government would even have been able to gather enough recources to keep a high tech facility with an appropriate number of staff running for over six years (eight if you count the time before the capitulation act) completely independently, while at the same time facing the chaos created by Epics emerging and before said facility could have provided any real resutls. That´s not even going into the mentality of the U.S. government.

Not calling crem on this but you have to admid that the amount of money needed to pull this off is kinda ridiculous.

The situation are quite different, true. Although, I´m not sure that the government would even have been able to gather enough recources to keep a high tech facility with an appropriate number of staff running for over six years (eight if you count the time before the capitulation act) completely independently, while at the same time facing the chaos created by Epics emerging and before said facility could have provided any real resutls. That´s not even going into the mentality of the U.S. government.

Not calling crem on this but you have to admid that the amount of money needed to pull this off is kinda ridiculous.

Given that the outcome was a bulletproof shield I'd think the government would consider it a worthwhile expenditure. After the capitulation act they didn't have much to do with the government, they were largely self-reliant. Which is also why their research slowed down quite a bit and it took them so long to complete their research.

Given that the outcome was a bulletproof shield I'd think the government would consider it a worthwhile expenditure. After the capitulation act they didn't have much to do with the government, they were largely self-reliant. Which is also why their research slowed down quite a bit and it took them so long to complete their research.

Given that they were faced with problems that bulletproof shields couldn´t help with but with laser firing mosters of mass destruction, probably no. Let´s be honest, something like that might be useful in conventional war but is utterly useles against major Epics, which are the actuall problem at that point in time.

What exactly do you mean with self-reliant, because if they held trade that opens up another can of worms.

Given that they were faced with problems that bulletproof shields couldn´t help with but with laser firing mosters of mass destruction, probably no. Let´s be honest, something like that might be useful in conventional war but is utterly useles against major Epics, which are the actuall problem at that point in time.

What exactly do you mean with self-reliant, because if they held trade that opens up another can of worms.

Most Epics still use weapons of some kind, sure it wouldn't help against Epics like Regalia or Steelheart but the government gave up fighting them pretty quickly. The increase in stopping power would help quite a bit too I imagine.

No not trading, providing their own energy, scavenging for supplies, etc.

Most Epics still use weapons of some kind, sure it wouldn't help against Epics like Regalia or Steelheart but the government gave up fighting them pretty quickly. The increase in stopping power would help quite a bit too I imagine.

No not trading, providing their own energy, scavenging for supplies, etc.

The problem here is either Steelheart and co appeared and the shield is pretty much useless or Epics were still a "minor" enough problem that they didn´t need to stuff recources in there for years, because it was still a war they could win and at that point direct war tools like tanks ect. are a higher priority than research with that was extremly risky, expensive, needed an whole army of different scientific fields and only held a dubious amount of succes, given that having found motivators at that poiint in time would change just about everything.

You´ve seen scavengers in Firefight, that isn´t enough to keep a facility like that running, especially if you want to stay hidden.

Again, not saying it´s downright impossible just not as likely as you make it sound.

The problem here is either Steelheart and co appeared and the shield is pretty much useless or Epics were still a "minor" enough problem that they didn´t need to stuff recources in there for years, because it was still a war they could win and at that point direct war tools like tanks ect. are a higher priority than research with that was extremly risky, expensive, needed an whole army of different scientific fields and only held a dubious amount of succes, given that having found motivators at that poiint in time would change just about everything.

You´ve seen scavengers in Firefight, that isn´t enough to keep a facility like that running, especially if you want to stay hidden.

Again, not saying it´s downright impossible just not as likely as you make it sound.

It wouldn't be useful against nuclear warheads either, doesn't mean governments now days wouldn't pay billions for tech like that. Just because it's not universally useful against all Epics doesn't meant governments wouldn't still fork out huge amounts for things like that.

Well they already had all the equipment, they only needed to scavenge for raw materials and food and such, which is certainly possible.

It wouldn't be useful against nuclear warheads either, doesn't mean governments now days wouldn't pay billions for tech like that. Just because it's not universally useful against all Epics doesn't meant governments wouldn't still fork out huge amounts for things like that.

Well they already had all the equipment, they only needed to scavenge for raw materials and food and such, which is certainly possible.

Oh, they would pay money for it, just not enough to keep it running, given that you simply can´t scavage some of the specialiced parts needed to maintain such a facility and neither for staff and tech they would need to make those parts themselves, because they don´t need those facilities there. And highly specialiced and experimental tech like that needs repairs all the time It´s not like they had time to perfect their almost new branch of science..

In Babiralr, one of the cities that´s relatively well off, the Reckoners had to turn out the engine of their boat, because that would have sticked out, so where would they get fuel for electricity? And without infrastructure you can´t feed the whole facility without moving to new areas to scavange. Food doesn´t magically come into exsistence and there are other people scavenging around. Then there are preciocus metals needed for machinery ect. Scavenging when moving around maybe but not when bound to a certain area that´s probably not close to any other form of civilzation.

Of course that´s all assuming the entire staff would stay in the facility without being payed, which is a big stretch in and of itself.

Oh, they would pay money for it, just not enough to keep it running, given that you simply can´t scavage some of the specialiced parts needed to maintain such a facility and neither for staff and tech they would need to make those parts themselves, because they don´t need those facilities there. And highly specialiced and experimental tech like that needs repairs all the time It´s not like they had time to perfect their almost new branch of science..

In Babiralr, one of the cities that´s relatively well off, the Reckoners had to turn out the engine of their boat, because that would have sticked out, so where would they get fuel for electricity? And without infrastructure you can´t feed the whole facility without moving to new areas to scavange. Food doesn´t magically come into exsistence and there are other people scavenging around. Then there are precious metals needed for machinery ect. Scavenging when moving around maybe but not when bound to a certain area that´s probably not close to any other form of civilzation.

Of course that´s all assuming the entire staff would stay in the facility without being payed, which is a big stretch in and of itself.

That's why I pointed out it was built to be self-sufficient, parts for maintenance were supplied at the onset. They have a geothermal power source for the lab so they don't need to scavenge for fuel much. Their time after they lost government support was mostly devoted to finding a renewable source of food that wouldn't give away their position, which they did eventually manage. When I was researching for it I found some really cool stuff on hydroponic farms, which almost led me to think they'd use biofuels for the generators but I think geothermal's way more likely.

Given the choice between an apocalyptic wasteland full of superbeings trying to kill you, a complete lack of stable infrastructure almost everywhere and despotic warlords or a safe military base with food, power, state of the art weapons and technology and some of the most experienced researchers of Epics in the world I think almost all sane people would choose the second option regardless of whether or not they were being payed.

Rare earth metals are a bit of a problem but they would have obtained a fairly enormous quantity at the onset of their research. I actually think I had one of their research subjects being a Metallurgist Epic but I'll have to check my notes.

Edited by Voidus

That's why I pointed out it was built to be self-sufficient, parts for maintenance were supplied at the onset. They have a geothermal power source for the lab so they don't need to scavenge for fuel much. Their time after they lost government support was mostly devoted to finding a renewable source of food that wouldn't give away their position, which they did eventually manage. When I was researching for it I found some really cool stuff on hydroponic farms, which almost led me to think they'd use biofuels for the generators but I think geothermal's way more likely.

Given the choice between an apocalyptic wasteland full of superbeings trying to kill you, a complete lack of stable infrastructure almost everywhere and despotic warlords or a safe military base with food, power, state of the art weapons and technology and some of the most experienced researchers of Epics in the world I think almost all sane people would choose the second option regardless of whether or not they were being payed.

Rare earth metals are a bit of a problem but they would have obtained a fairly enormous quantity at the onset of their research. I actually think I had one of their research subjects being a Metallurgist Epic but I'll have to check my notes.

You know, that first paragraph was exactly the kind of answer I wanted, when I asked what you mean with self-reliant, so I´m going to shut up now... well almost.

Thing is, you´re leaving out option three: Go and work for the Nighthawk foundation. Granted there could be a catch but as fas as we know it has all the benefits of option two but none of the negatives.

You know, that first paragraph was exactly the kind of answer I wanted, when I asked what you mean with self-reliant, so I´m going to shut up now... well almost.

Thing is, you´re leaving out option three: Go and work for the Nighthawk foundation. Granted there could be a catch but as fas as we know it has all the benefits of option two but none of the negatives.

I thought about them collaborating with the Knighthawk foundry given their experience with Epic tech but since we know almost nothing about them I thought it'd be better not to write anything about them.

Edited by Voidus

Another Epic I'm considering for Astoria unless he fits in elsewhere:

Adventurer:
Primary power: Toolazyfordooranimations- Capable of teleporting instantaneously to the other side of a barrier, uses this ability to never actually open doors for the most part, however can also teleport to the other side of a wall or use it on the ground and teleport into a nearby cavern.

Secondary: Shaders- capable of creating either a point light source in his hand to act as a torch or creating an ambient lighting to light whatever room he's in.
Tertiary: Minimap- geospatial awareness and radar capabilities.
Quaternary: Reload!Reload!- Resurrection capabilities.

Before anyone asks, no his weakness is not being shot with an arrow to the knee :P

Another Epic I'm considering for Astoria unless he fits in elsewhere:

Adventurer:

Primary power: Toolazyfordooranimations- Capable of teleporting instantaneously to the other side of a barrier, uses this ability to never actually open doors for the most part, however can also teleport to the other side of a wall or use it on the ground and teleport into a nearby cavern.

Secondary: Shaders- capable of creating either a point light source in his hand to act as a torch or creating an ambient lighting to light whatever room he's in.

Tertiary: Minimap- geospatial awareness and radar capabilities.

Quaternary: Reload!Reload!- Resurrection capabilities.

Before anyone asks, no his weakness is not being shot with an arrow to the knee :P

Modus Operandi: Breaking into people's houses and rooting around for free stuff. Claims that people with important knowledge appear with glowing exclamation marks over their heads. :P

Modus Operandi: Breaking into people's houses and rooting around for free stuff. Claims that people with important knowledge appear with glowing exclamation marks over their heads. :P

Strangely enough, yes! :P

He suffers from a dissociative derealization disorder, after Calamity appeared he began to suffer under the delusion that he'd begun living in a video game, when he was granted his powers this belief became even stronger. He suffers from many delusions and hallucinations including the above mentioned. Most of these are in no way linked to any real abilities, he's not actually able to tell if someone has anything to say but will frequently bug people until they tell him something. Occasionally he gets annoyed and just shoots the person saying he'll come back once they've respawned. He's also known to: exclaim "Checkpoint!" Whenever entering or leaving a building or area, believe that he has to choose from options on a hallucinatory dialogue wheel during conversation, call Vanillas NPCs, exclaim in wonderment at the reality of the graphics when entering a new place.

I'm a complete newbie to RPGs, and I'm thinking of joining Dalles as possibly Ozymandias. Can anyone give a summary of Dalles so far?

Hello, and welcome! Here's a quick summary of The Dalles' history and political climate I wrote up for you.

Two years before the action of the RP, an Epic named Koschei the Deathless attacked The Dalles. Koschei was a healer, capable of healing others from any wound. However, once he'd healed a wound he could cause the same injury to reappear at any time. Koschei gathered a gang of Epics and began brutally murdering countless people, using his power to practically raise them from the dead and demand their loyalty.

Koschei managed to completely gain control of The Dalles, wresting control from the National Guard unit stationed there. He began rule as a ruthless dictator, plotting to take over the whole of Oregon. Before his plans could be fully realized, however, a normal man named Remington Springfield discovered his weakness. Springfield shot and killed Koschei in a stand-off that has become legendary in part because of its significance, and in part because no one knows for sure what happened during their battle.

Remington Springfield became a folk hero, but he quietly left the city to live with his in-laws in Portland. With Koschei dead, the National Guard moved back into town, and the commander of the unit declared martial law over the city.

This commander was named Stephen Vondra. Vondra had no powers himself, but he and his soldiers managed to gain secure control over The Dalles. This control is maintained in part by the small team of Epics employed by the Guard, who are prohibited from using their powers while not on active duty. The corruption still manifests in these Epics, but as of yet all members of this team have remained loyal.

There are other factions afoot in The Dalles, however. The Epic Quicksilver is a former hitman with the ability to manipulate metal, which he has used to devastating effect countless times. Fortunately Quicksilver has little desire to rule, and instead reigns as the king of the city's criminal underground. His gang is known as the Slivers, who are widely feared and hated in the city.

For two years an uneasy peace has existed in The Dalles, but at the current time a chaotic and unpredictable element has been inserted. The city has been invaded by the Panda, an Epic with the power to control any organic matter. He is also afflicted with the delusional belief that he's been tasked by "The Radiant Panda" to create a utopia for panda bears--which he intends to accomplish by eradicating human settlements and filling them with his creations. He leads armies of once-ordinary men who have been mutated into horrendous panda-human hybrids, which wield wooden weapons created by their dark master.

The Panda's armies run rampant through The Dalles as we speak, opposed by Vondra's Epic teams and a handful of newcomers to the city's political scene. The city stands at an important crossroads of its history--will Vondra succeed in creating a utopia for normal humans, freed from the widespread tyranny of Epics? Will the Panda take the city as his own, ruling not just the lives but the very flesh and blood of its inhabitants? Or will the city be torn asunder by the conflict?

Well, that's the Question, isn't it?

I'm a complete newbie to RPGs, and I'm thinking of joining Dalles as possibly Ozymandias. Can anyone give a summary of Dalles so far?

I think Twi said something about Ozymandias, so I'd check with her first about that.

And, since Kobold didn't mention it, there's another faction in the Dalles. Frequency, an Epic with powers to shatter things, used to be one of Koschei's lieutenants, but fled the city after Koschei's death. Being a true believer in Koschei's divinity, he came back to the Dalles to retake the city for his leader. He just called in three reinforcements, a speed Epic, a lightning one, and an earthmoving one.

Finally, the final part of the second section of the Destructors in Connell is up now. Stay tuned for the finale.