purelake shard pool

taveren

i haven't ever seen then mentioned but has anyone else guessed that the purelake might have a shard pool. i guess this because why else would someone look for hoid there. it doesn't seem like much happens in the area and hoid likes to be near big events anyone that knows him would know to look elsewhere but maybe they just wanted to know if he came through a shardpool that is in the area. i always though it was an odd place to look before but never thought to much about it till about 5 mins ago when it clicked in my head.

i haven't ever seen then mentioned but has anyone else guessed that the purelake might have a shard pool. i guess this because why else would someone look for hoid there. it doesn't seem like much happens in the area and hoid likes to be near big events anyone that knows him would know to look elsewhere but maybe they just wanted to know if he came through a shardpool that is in the area. i always though it was an odd place to look before but never thought to much about it till about 5 mins ago when it clicked in my head.

I always assumed it was in the Horneater mountain lake, the ones which lets them see their gods, Rock said it is involved with why they can see spren.

Rock also told Kal, Moash, Sigzil and Lopen a story in a bar about where he met a White haired 'God' aka Wit/Hoid who mocked his beard and asked the date in the horneater calendar.

(The description of the 'God' made Sigzil uncomfortable)

Edited by WEZ313

I always assumed it was in the Horneater mountain lake, the ones which lets them see their gods, Rock said it is involved with why they can see spren.

Rock also told Kal, Moash, Sigzil and Lopen a story in a bar about where he met a White haired 'God' aka Wit/Hoid who mocked his beard and asked the date in the horneater calendar.

(The description of the 'God' made Sigzil uncomfortable)

I agree. I've been thinking about this for a while and it makes sense. It also seems to imply that Worldhopping is imprecise, though that is a topic for a different thread.

Brandon implied there are multiple ways to worldhop (I'm on my phone and to lazy to find it)

Perhaps Cultivations is to the west somewhere not ventured to yet..

The pure lake seems too big for a shardpool in my opinion IIRC it stretches quite a ways..

That could be true, but is there a defined limit on Shardpools yet? If the Purelake is a Shardpools, it could explain the "lucky" fish. That seems a little farfetched though.

Something to keep in mind is that the Worldhoppers came to the Purelake asking about Hoid.

I still like the idea of the Horneater Peaks Shardpool.

I thought that was the false trail he set for the 17th Sharders

You could be right though but I always thought it was just the investiture. You are right though it sounds fishy ;)

There is something strange about the horneater peaks lake that they swim in. I'm very interested in the 'place of the gods' that they sometimes see.

This is what Hoid wrote:

I am being chased. Your friends of the Seventeenth Shard, I suspect. I believe they’re still lost, following a false trail I left for them .

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 368). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

This fits what WEZ313 says above.  I assume this to mean that Hoid sent them to the Purelake with his false trail. 

Upvote for "fishy"!

I believe there is WoB that the fish really are magical and are linked to spren. 

a false trail needs to be believable i find it unlikely that hoid would hang out there otherwise

I'm sorry... you're saying that Hoid would never travel to anywhere that wasn't a shardpool? So the Shattered Plains, the Horneater Peaks, the middle-of-nowhere, and Kholinar... are all shardpools, then? Not to mention everywhere he's been seen on the three other known Shardworlds?

no i was saying theres nothing important going on there hoid tends to be around areas where things are happening and the horeeater peaks has a shardpool that seems to be how he got to roshar in the first place and if that is how he travels then  a good place to look for him would be around shardpools

It must be pretty important then, if they assumed that Hoid would be there. Not that we know why, but surely these guys aren't just choosing at random.

Best way to make a false trail, in my opinion, is to just not follow the kind of trail you normally would follow otherwise. Gotta learn to predict yourself or it wouldn't be convincing.

Edited by natc

The Seventeenth sharders were mislead, Demoux is a dope and i like Galladon but i wouldn't bet on him in a battle of smarts with Hoid who, by happenstance is a master of disguises and very knowledgeable about the different planets, they barely seem to know the language. I believe the ability that lets Hoid know where to be involves Feruchemy which i doubt those three have which leads me to believe they are mindlessly trying to find Hoid the person not following the events of importance.

From the Interlude they have no idea where he is from the way they were saying "where are you roamer"

and from the first Letter Hoid describes them as:

I am being chased. Your friends of the Seventeenth Shard, I suspect. I believe they're still lost, following a false trail I left for them. They'll be happier that way. I doubt they have any inkling what to do with me should they actually catch me

This to me makes it seem he's dodged them quite effortlessly by the way he uses the words 'still lost' and by the way even if they did manage to capture him he's the strongest person in the Cosmere excluding the Shards. Good luck trying to get in his way.

not that i know of i'm going to get a book signed soon maybe i'll ask

Yeah awesome idea!

I've never met him, my friend has he was going to ask a question met him and bailed and asked a pointless question...LOL 

You should hit some threads up and browse the best unasked questions, 

• 1 year later...

Just the other day, I had a brain blast about this topic. The "false trail" that Hoid left for the 17th Shard was that he used the Purelake's Shardpool to get to Roshar. In the Interlude, the Seventeenth Sharders had just worldhopped using the Shardpool; they had literally just arrived on Roshar, and they asked the first people they found if they had seen Hoid, trying to pick up his trail out of the Shardpool and track where he went on Roshar.

But, since Hoid had actually arrived through the Pools in the Horneater Peaks, so the witnesses that the Seventeenth Sharders were looking (a.k.a. Rock) for weren't in that part of the continent at all.

And about the size of the Shardpool. Mistborn: Secret History Spoilers:

Unless the Shadesmar map is inaccurate (which has always been floated as a possibility, since it's an in-universe ornamentation), the whole Purelake couldn't be a perpendicularity. It's depicted as mountainous on the Shadesmar map, consistent with Physical bodies of water in the Cognitive Realm. The Well of Ascension, however, was still a glowing pool of liquid in Shadesmar.

From Rock's story, he asserts that the shardpool is a small part of the Horneater ocean at the bottom of the reservoir, so the Purelake's enormity doesn't preclude there being a shardpool somewhere inside of it.  Also, the presence of the 17th shard pursuers supports the theory as it would be a good reason to think Hoid has passed through the area. 

From Rock's story, he asserts that the shardpool is a small part of the Horneater ocean at the bottom of the reservoir, so the Purelake's enormity doesn't preclude there being a shardpool somewhere inside of it.  Also, the presence of the 17th shard pursuers supports the theory as it would be a good reason to think Hoid has passed through the area. 

Yeah, that's what I was saying - that the Purelake is a normal body of water, with a Shardpool present somewhere in it. However, it's the wrong Shardpool; it's Hoid's false trail. He actually used the Horneater mountains, but tricked the Sharders into going to the Purelake.

Taking a closer look at the Interlude, I need to retract my statement about the Sharders having just shown up. They had been there for five months already. (I had a mental picture of the three of them, showing up in the middle of the Purelake, running up to the first person they found and saying "Have you seen this man?!? We should be right behind him!" Which is still a possibility, but it can't be the encounter shown in the Interlude.) But I still think they are focusing their search around the Purelake because they think it's the Shardpool that Hoid uses, whether or not it actually is.