Big Hero 6

So I just came back from the cinema, after seeing this movie and I thought it was excellent with the right amount of humour and action. Highly recommended. And I just wanted to make a thread for discussion on this movie. Has anyone else seen it yet? :)

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

Okay so... from what I understand, Big Hero 6 is, or was, a marvel comic once upon a time. Obviously, this film is very different-being CGI and all- but... is it a part of the MCU series of films?

I haven't seen it yet, and honestly, the answer might decide whether I do or not; I don't want to go to Avengers 2 and not understand some important McGuffin because I skipped BH6.

Edited by Quiver

Okay so... from what I understand, Big Hero 6 is, or was, a marvel comic once upon a time. Obviously, this film is very different-being CGI and all- but... is it a part of the MCU series of films?

I haven't seen it yet, and honestly, the answer might decide whether I do or not; I don't want to go to Avengers 2 and not understand some important McGuffin because I skipped BH6.

Nope, it's not an MCU film. Skip away!

I just saw this movie yesterday, and all I can say is….I hope Marvel keeps adapting some of its more obscure titles, because I'm almost inclined to say Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy are better than some of the more well-known adaptations. 

I hesitate to say that, because I do have a soft spot for Cap, and I'd list Iron Man and The Avengers as some of the best superhero movies I've ever seen, but holy cow was Big Hero 6 good. 

Gushing in spoilers. 

Hiro is everything I've been saying I want from a realistic superhero and more. He's witty and smart, but also very flawed. His enthusiasm for robotics was infectious. I think he's one of the more realistic depictions of a child prodigy—freakishly intelligent, but not wise beyond his years. It's implied that he found high school boring and doesn't think college will be much better, so when he finds that his brother's school is a place where he can stretch his imagination and be challenged, he wants nothing more than to go. (This is something I can certainly relate to; while I didn't graduate high school at 13, I did find it boring, and college was a very pleasant surprise.) 

And Tadashi…wow. I think he's the best fictional big brother I've ever seen. The way he convinced Hiro to apply was genius. I'll be the first to admit I shed a few tears when he died. 

Baymax rivals WALL-E for the title of "Most Lovable Robot Ever." He wasn't a replacement for Tadashi, but he was the truest remnant of all his best qualities: caring, kind, understanding, nonjudgmental. His reaction when Hiro overrides Tadashi's programming for him…dang. No anger. No judgment. No cruel isolation. Just "This is not what Tadashi would have wanted, and this is not what's best for you. You know what the right choice is. I will help you make it." 

Go-Go, Wasabi, and Honey Lemon had comparatively little screen time to themselves, but they still managed to be fully fleshed out and interesting in their own right. They were hilarious without being reduced to one-dimensional gag characters. 

The villain was a fantastic look at what revenge does to a person. He was pretty scary, but his pain was what shone through the most. Sympathetic, without being a cheesy Freudian Excuse type of villain, he was a great foil for both Hiro and Tadashi. 

I loved the setting. Up until this point, I would've called Gotham the most fully realized fictional city, and I probably would have laughed long and hard at the name "San Fransokyo." Yet this movie managed to combine the best of both cities—San Francisco's steep hills and narrow architecture; Tokyo's cherry blossoms and uniquely Japanese shops—into a setting that was realistic without being depressing (like Gotham) and cheerful without being saccharine. I found myself wishing I could apply for a job in San Fransokyo.

Finally, the Stan Lee cameo. I usually chuckle at his cameos (though I've groaned once or twice, like at the one in Rise of the Silver Surfer—but who didn't roll their eyes for most of that movie?) but I think this was one of the most clever. And the way it tied into Fred's lifelong dream of being a superhero fire breathing monster was priceless.

If I had one criticism, it would be that I both want and dread a sequel. I want more, but any sequel would have to be as good, if not better than, the original. 

• 2 weeks later...