Hoid Tidbit

Windrunner

I just noticed a tweet of Brandon's from this month.

Christian Jäggi

Can you give us any hint what Hoid is, and if youll ever tell us his whole story? @BrandSanderson

Brand Sanderson

@jaggi_christian You will get the whole story someday. He is a person who turned down what others accepted eagerly.

I thought this was rather interesting. To me, this seems to be a quiet confirmation that Hoid had the chance to take a Shard but decided against it. What do you guys think?

Bah! Saw this, came to post about it and saw I got sniped. 

I agree about it being about becoming a Shard. He was offered a Shard, (the chance to become a Seventeenth shard?) and decided to turn it down. Or maybe someone else took his place. 

Or it could be about something else. Maybe his big secret is that in an epic fight, he upset social and military norms, and somehow defeats a super powerful weapon bearer and gains the right to use said super weapon- but turns it down because it carries no good memories for him. Then someone else takes it and kills his friends and banishes him. 

Wait.....

I Assumed that this quote has something to do with that one. 

"I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock.”

“A pretty one, I hope.” 

“A beautiful one,” the man said. “And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it.”

It actually made me think that maybe he was offered Adonalsium in some form and refused it. Causing it to shater as a result. But it was not somthing I thought was worth sharing as an Idea till now.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's about the power at the Well.

Ok good, I'm not crazy.

Regardless, this new hint seems to indicate he would still not be interested in the Shards in general. Given that Hoid prefers to be more of an observer/to keep his meddling to the background (at least for the time being), I highly doubt he would take up any Shard even given the opportunity, unless there is one that very closely fits his personality.

Ok good, I'm not crazy.

Regardless, this new hint seems to indicate he would still not be interested in the Shards in general. Given that Hoid prefers to be more of an observer/to keep his meddling to the background (at least for the time being), I highly doubt he would take up any Shard even given the opportunity, unless there is one that very closely fits his personality.

I'm inclined to think there isn't one, simply because one thing Hoid seems to enjoy is free will: the right to choose your own actions.  Shards... corrupt that, by overwhelming the holder with the Intent to the point the Shardholder is completely biased in his or her decision making after a while.

I don't see Hoid taking up a Shard unless Humpty Dumpty was put back together again, since only then (and perhaps maybe not even then) would there be a equality in what was pulling which way.

Edited by dvoraen

I'm inclined to think there isn't one, simply because one thing Hoid seems to enjoy is free will: the right to choose your own actions. Shards... corrupt that, by overwhelming the holder with the Intent to the point the Shardholder is completely biased in his or her decision making after a while.

While it is true that Shards morph one's personality, we know from the pairing of Rayse/Odium that the closer the Intent to the holder's general personality/mindset, the less the Shard has to morph the mind of the holder. Thus Hoid would likely be most attracted to Endowment because that intent is not significantly different from his own beliefs/outlook.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's about the power at the Well.

I really thought there was a WoB about Hoid and holding a Shard, but I can't find what I remember.

Weiry, do you refer to this WoB:

Interview: Apr 15th, 2013

Reddit AMA 2013 (Verbatim)

Phantine ()

We know Hoid stopped by the Well of Ascension. Would it have been possible for him to take up the power while he was there? Or is it limited to guys created out of Preservation and Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid had no interest in holding that power in the state it was in.

source

We know that Hoid "is something else entirely", but does this totally exclude the possibility of Hoid taking up a Shard of Adonalsium?

My objection comes from my reading Mr. Sanderson's answer in the above quote as: "Hoid had no interest in holding that power in the state it was in".

*disclaimer* Hopefully there are not lots of errors in my text which contains a few thoughts from somebody who -- unfortunately -- totally lost track here.

While it is true that Shards morph one's personality, we know from the pairing of Rayse/Odium that the closer the Intent to the holder's general personality/mindset, the less the Shard has to morph the mind of the holder. Thus Hoid would likely be most attracted to Endowment because that intent is not significantly different from his own beliefs/outlook.

Sure, that all makes sense, but I wonder if we can trick an answer out of Brandon by asking if Hoid would take up a Shard with the Intent of Faith (ref. epilogue of Words of Radiance).

I was wrong - the WoB does indeed refer to Hoid taking up the power of the Well:

Phantine ()
We know Hoid stopped by the Well of Ascension. Would it have been possible for him to take up the power while he was there? Or is it limited to guys created out of Preservation and Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson
(source)

As to the Endowment one (thanks Weiry):

Question
If Hoid were tempted by a Shard, which one would it be?

Brandon Sanderson
Endowment.
(source)

Note the exact wording - "if Hoid were tempted by a Shard". Gives a lot of leeway, there, if he isn't in actuality tempted. Given that Hoid was at the Shattering, and he didn't end up with Endowment, that is pretty suggestive. Combined with the part where Hoid and the dragon he wrote a letter to were apparently directly involved in the Shattering ("[Odium] is what we made him to be") and weren't just bystanders, and I think it's all-but-confirmed that Hoid turned down the power of a Shard. It certainly fits with his observed behavior.

Edited by Moogle

I really thought there was a WoB about Hoid and holding a Shard, but I can't find what I remember.

Weiry, do you refer to this WoB:

source

We know that Hoid "is something else entirely", but does this totally exclude the possibility of Hoid taking up a Shard of Adonalsium?

My objection comes from my reading Mr. Sanderson's answer in the above quote as: "Hoid had no interest in holding that power in the state it was in".

*disclaimer* Hopefully there are not lots of errors in my text which contains a few thoughts from somebody who -- unfortunately -- totally lost track here.

What about Hoid having already held the whole of Adonalsium? :P

(Then let go of it, found nobody to hold it in his place, divided it into equally powered fragments and… we know the rest. Yes, I know how crazy this hypothesis is.)

What about Hoid having already held the whole of Adonalsium? :P

(Then let go of it, found nobody to hold it in his place, divided it into equally powered fragments and… we know the rest. Yes, I know how crazy this hypothesis is.)

This!

Thoughts going in this direction made me make the above post.

Phantine ()

Brandon Sanderson

(source)

I took it to mean he was after a bead of Lerasium. What I wonder is why he keeps jumping from shardworld to shardworld if he isn't after the shards. Maybe he is simply trying to gain access to all of their powers somehow, all at once. In essence, it would be recreating the manifested power of an unshattered Adonalsium.

I took it to mean he was after a bead of Lerasium. What I wonder is why he keeps jumping from shardworld to shardworld if he isn't after the shards. Maybe he is simply trying to gain access to all of their powers somehow, all at once. In essence, it would be recreating the manifested power of an unshattered Adonalsium.

I've always had a hunch that Hoid may be collecting superpowers.  He does display an ability to use powers from several different worlds.  While it's hard to say...I know that he never obviously used allomancy until WoR.  He also makes mention of having attained "perfect pitch" in WoR.  If you have read the sample chapters of LoP, you know that he has the ability to lightweave before he ever becomes a worldhopper.  I don't think that there is anything that suggests that he has an ability to use AonDor...although...Elantrans have to be near Elantris to use it anyway.  While I have seen a few other forum members make reference to his ability to use feruchemy...I don't think this ever comes up in any books that are out...possibly something about it in a WoB in regards to how Hoid changes his "spiritual connection" to different worlds...we also know from WoR that he can cross over into Shadesmar.  While he makes an appearance in Emperor's Soul, I don't think we've ever seem him stamp anything.  (although...you'd thin that this would be one of the easiest things to replicate)...did I miss anything?

Hoid has many impressive powers, im really interested in the ones we haven't seen yet like traveling forward in time or how he knows to be somewhere even if he doesn't know why (some sort of feruchemy)

Not to mention that he can heal Shardblade wounds or grow a new head haha

I hope he features in more in SA3 AOL sequels 

I Assumed that this quote has something to do with that one. 

"I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock.”

“A pretty one, I hope.” 

“A beautiful one,” the man said. “And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it.”

It actually made me think that maybe he was offered Adonalsium in some form and refused it. Causing it to shater as a result. But it was not somthing I thought was worth sharing as an Idea till now.

I've solved the riddle of What Exactly Is Hoid Anyway?!

He's an AI (for Artificial Intelligence; not Al, short for Albert).  Or the Cosmere equivalent.  

I've always had a hunch that Hoid may be collecting superpowers.  He does display an ability to use powers from several different worlds.  While it's hard to say...I know that he never obviously used allomancy until WoR.  He also makes mention of having attained "perfect pitch" in WoR.  If you have read the sample chapters of LoP, you know that he has the ability to lightweave before he ever becomes a worldhopper.  I don't think that there is anything that suggests that he has an ability to use AonDor...although...Elantrans have to be near Elantris to use it anyway.  While I have seen a few other forum members make reference to his ability to use feruchemy...I don't think this ever comes up in any books that are out...possibly something about it in a WoB in regards to how Hoid changes his "spiritual connection" to different worlds...we also know from WoR that he can cross over into Shadesmar.  While he makes an appearance in Emperor's Soul, I don't think we've ever seem him stamp anything.  (although...you'd thin that this would be one of the easiest things to replicate)...did I miss anything?

Brandon has flat out said Hoid uses Feruchemy.

source

Mike Cockrum

Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?

Brandon Sanderson

He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

Edited by Blaze1616

Brandon has flat out said Hoid uses Feruchemy.

source

Mike Cockrum

Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?

Brandon Sanderson

He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

Right...I knew I had seen this somewhere...there's also a WoB out there somewhere that mentions Hoid using the Connection part of Feruchemy as a way of connection himself to the different worlds that he visits...and that this somehow relates to how he used the different planets' systems of magic.  I just didn't remember ever "seeing" him use feruchemy in any of the books...thanks for the WoB.

On a side note...I mentioned that we have never seen Hoid stamp anything...what do you think wanted the "Moon Scepter" for?

Edited by hoidhunter