RawToast225

When Hoid is telling the story of Fleet, Kaladin thought that another hand joined Hoid's to help him play the music, but he didn't want to open his eyes to find out. Do you think Hoid Awakened something to help him? It's possible that he awakened his coat or something and made it play music. That would be a really complicated command, but someone with Hoid's mental capabilities shouldn't have too much trouble using it. Thoughts? Yay, nay?

Shallan can create sound with Lightweaving, so I imagine Hoid just did that. No point to bother with a second instrument when you have a bit of dust.

If he Awakened an instrument, he'd need a pretty big source of color and I can't recall seeing anything drained.

Edited by Ookla the Infinite

I don't see him awakening something. Yeah, Hoid has dropped some major hints about himself to other characters in Stormlight- his conversation with Dalinar about letting the world be destroyed, for instance- but awakening something to play an instrument seems a bit too far. Kaladin didn't open his eyes, but unless Hoid was using some kind of subtle mind-control magic to make sure he didn't, he didn't really have any way to make sure he didn't see him... or, for that matter, that a guard wouldn't stop by.

"No no, see, there is a very simple explanation as to how my coat is magically playing an instrument. You see, it all started with a bunny..."

(Allomancy kind of slides, since the people around him can't "see" what he does; Awakening is too obvious for that I think.)

I just took it to mean Kaladin was impressed with Hoid's musical abilities.  Like if you heard a master guitarist play a very complex song or an expert pianist.  You'd hear it and think "There is no way two hands and one instrument could make all those notes."  Hoid has a number of magics that could help like commands or lightweaving but to me this was just plain skill and someone being impressed by it.

• 3 weeks later...

Also if he awakened something, he'd have to say the command clearly in his native tongue which probably isn't Alethi.

OK, nitpick totally off-topic, but Hoid is speaking his native tongue. It's just that the magic he's using (suspiciously like the Sands of Rashid) translates whatever he's saying into the native language of his audience.* 

• 4 weeks later...

OK, nitpick totally off-topic, but Hoid is speaking his native tongue. It's just that the magic he's using (suspiciously like the Sands of Rashid) translates whatever he's saying into the native language of his audience.* 

I'm sorry Curiosity, but I really, really want the WoB for that...

I'm sorry Curiosity, but I really, really want the WoB for that...

Don't apologize, I should be the one who goes through my posts and finds all of the WoB's that I didn't want to look up before. 

And his puns still work? My jealousy is fighting for supremacy with my awe...

(As a side note, I would love to learn that all of Hoid's wordplay was accidental, and the jokes he tried to make were lost in translation.)

THIS. This has been bugging me. How do his puns carry into English? 

"Do you have to, Wit?"

"Two what?"

Edited by Curiosity

Don't apologize, I should be the one who goes through my posts and finds all of the WoB's that I didn't want to look up before. 

THIS. This has been bugging me. How do his puns carry into English? 

"Do you have to, Wit?"

"Two what?"

Don't worry about it. It's handwa-*koff*-magic.

OK, nitpick totally off-topic, but Hoid is speaking his native tongue. It's just that the magic he's using (suspiciously like the Sands of Rashid) translates whatever he's saying into the native language of his audience.*

Alright I stand corrected. Other arguments can be made that it wasn't awakening but I'll concede. Thanks for pointing this out.