When Navani bonded the Sibling, and before when she was studying them, she noticed that a lot of the fabrials were primitive, or of lesser quality than the current ones used. Do we think, with her bond, Navani is able to magically remake the fabrials to be more modern? that, or do it manually throughout the entire tower. 

If that’s possible, what sort of new things could be added to the tower to make it more useful? We know it won’t be a spaceship, but it could become the beating heart of civilisation again, or at least the beating heart of the Radiant Orders.

5 hours ago, MerlinArcane said:

We know it won’t be a spaceship

it is only era 1 or 2 by mistborn reckoning. i would not be surprised if because of the sibling uritiru(or at least part of it) would not become a massive space ship.

1 hour ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

it is only era 1 or 2 by mistborn reckoning. i would not be surprised if because of the sibling uritiru(or at least part of it) would not become a massive space ship.

WoBs:

Spoiler

Joe ST

Is Urithiru a spaceship?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not, no, good question. I've never been asked that before. It's very Sim City, though.

Joe ST

It's a new theory, they're thinking, is it one of the floating cities from--

Brandon Sanderson

From Ashyn, yeah. Boy, that would be hard, it is so big. But, I suppose, magic, you know. But no, it is not...

Oathbringer Newcastle signing (Dec. 1, 2017)

Questioner

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work...

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct-- When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

8 hours ago, MerlinArcane said:

When Navani bonded the Sibling, and before when she was studying them, she noticed that a lot of the fabrials were primitive, or of lesser quality than the current ones used. Do we think, with her bond, Navani is able to magically remake the fabrials to be more modern? that, or do it manually throughout the entire tower. 

If that’s possible, what sort of new things could be added to the tower to make it more useful? We know it won’t be a spaceship, but it could become the beating heart of civilisation again, or at least the beating heart of the Radiant Orders.

Many fabrials in the Tower were indeed added by ancient Radiants to provide more functionality to the city (for example the soulcasting fabrial that created the glass barrier around the crystal heart of the Sibling). Modern fabrials rely on trapping spren, something that the Sibling is unwilling to accept. But Navani for sure will upgrade many fabrials in the Tower by incorporating new discoveries about the metal cage and aluminum - they've already replaced many fabrials in the Tower to make them work again after they moved in, like in elevators. 

Remaking them "magically" won't happen (depending on what you mean by "magically"). Ancient fabrials are physical manifestations of spren, so at best she will have to explain to those spren to change their form to add new elements, but in the case of aluminum they will have to add it manually as aluminum likely can't be created by spren. Many of those fabrials are the Sibling's body, if Navani will be able to convince the Sibling to change them, they will change it - if it's even needed. There are many advanced fabrials made by the Sibling, more advanced than what Roshar developed on their own, like the suppressor fabrial. 

Moreover Navani now knows that ancient fabrials are physical manifestations of spren, it still might be problematic to find spren willing to sacrifice for humanity if she wants to add some new fabrials. Communication with those spren might be tricky as well - Navani knew at the beginning of RoW that ancient fabrial have a spren trapped in CR, but they weren’t able to communicate with them. Maybe her new Bondsmith powers will allow her to do that, but she will have to learn this first.

However Navani doesn't need to really replace or modify any fabrials, now with her Connection to the Sibling she can just activate all of the Tower's fabrials with Towerlight. That's one crucial thing that was missing before, Towerlight was needed to power those fabrials, not Stormlight. She has full control over them and she already did restore the Tower to its former glory.

Yeah I meant like upgrade them to more modern standards, convince the spren and such, that’s what I meant by magic. I thought the fabrials in the Tower were of lesser design? I must’ve read wrong. 

7 minutes ago, MerlinArcane said:

Yeah I meant like upgrade them to more modern standards, convince the spren and such, that’s what I meant by magic. I thought the fabrials in the Tower were of lesser design? I must’ve read wrong. 

Not so much "lesser design" as different design, which Humanity had lost knowledge of how they were made or function; and they did not conform to current known Fabrial science. Different is not lesser. . . 

4 hours ago, MerlinArcane said:

No I understand that, I just thought there was a quote somewhere from Navajo going ‘wow, we have better fabrials. The ancients weren’t as powerful as we thought’  

Are you perhaps thinking of this quote from Raboniel (RoW Ch 46)?

Spoiler

“You understand more about fabrials than I assumed, Lady of Wishes.”

Raboniel hummed a rhythm. “I am a quick learner.” She gestured to the notes on Navani’s desk. “In the past, my kind found it difficult to persuade spren to manifest themselves in the Physical Realm as devices. It seems Voidspren are not as naturally … self-sacrificing as those of Honor or Cultivation.”

Navani blinked as the implications of that sank in. Suddenly a dozen loose threads in her mind tied together, forming a tapestry. An explanation. That was why the fabrials of the tower—the pumps, the climbing mechanisms—didn’t have gemstones with captive spren. Storms … that was the answer to Soulcasting devices.

Awespren burst around her in a ring of blue smoke. Soulcasters didn’t hold spren because they were spren. Manifesting in the Physical Realm like Shardblades. Spren became metal on this side. Somehow the ancient spren had been coaxed into manifesting as Soulcasters instead of Blades?

“You didn’t know, I see,” Raboniel said, pulling a chair over for herself. Even sitting, she was a foot taller than Navani. She made such an odd image: a carapace-armored figure, as if prepared for war, picking through notes. “Odd that you should have made so many advances that we never dreamed of in epochs past, yet you’ve forgotten the far simpler method your ancestors used.”

I'm pretty sure there is another Raboniel quote about how far hUman Fabrial science has progressed, but I have no tyet found it again.