QF71: Cycle Five: The Unknown Heretic

1 minute ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Well, I'll tell you what.

If you want to go through with it, submit your orders for the first sword exchange.

If you do not, then it defaults to the rules as written, which are RNG, and that's perfectly okay too.

(One possible example of what those orders might look like:

Hide contents

thrust high

block low

riposte center

Also, I will allow it if either side wants to name a champion to fight on their behalf in one or more exchanges

Wait, so I might be able to make both of the heretics fight for me?

12 minutes ago, Wierdo said:

Wait, so no duel?

You may absolutely duel! :)

If you want to.

Cash has already submitted his orders for the first round, so all that remains for the duel to go forward is for you to submit yours.

Just now, DrakeMarshall said:

You may absolutely duel! :)

If you want to.

Cash has already submitted his orders for the first round, so all that remains for the duel to go forward is for you to submit yours.

hm, alright. If i die the split will end lol

1 minute ago, Quivil said:

Waitwait, if you make the heretics duel with each other, are they allowed to scheme about their strategy with each other?

Even if they could it’s a game of chance. What strategy?

Announcing a fabulous swordfighting duel!!! Give it up for CASH and WIERDO!!!

Cash draws steel first, intent on scoring blood. Wierdo steps back to build distance and lashes out with a surprise slash, but Cash catches the blow on a piece of Awakened clothing!! Cash goes for the throat, but Wierdo wrests his weapon free in time to parry! Wierdo thrusts at Cash's exposed side!

All of this transpires in a few seconds, and then they disengage. Wierdo has scored first blood.

Next clash! Submit your orders or name your seconds!

So, one way or another, this duel ends the game.

I think I can just outright say that. Since it's literally forced by the mechanics of the game + the fact that there's 4 non-Returned players alive + the fact that the game hasn't already ended. It is impossible in this game-state for it to not be a 2v2 with the next death ending the game one way or another. I'm not revealing any secrets about the game state. (Maybe you already put all this together on your own in which case don't mind me. :P)

Bearing that in mind. I've made a decision. I will delay the end of the this cycle until the duel can finish properly. Seeing as we've started down this course, it seems like we may as well carry it out, come what may. I have a reasonable fallback in mind in case that doesn't work for some reason, but, I think we will make it work.

TL;DR the duel must go on :D

Another clash between @Cash67 and @Wierdo!!!

Wierdo charges in to press the advantage! Cash hangs back and fights defensively, baiting Wierdo to overextend. Cash feints to the left but Wierdo doesn't fall for it! Wierdo steps in close to deliver a killing blow but Cash skewers Wierdo, knocking him backwards!

Both sides have drawn blood and it's anyone's fight now! Cash has wounded Wierdo.

Next round! Possibly the last round!

can i be a second, even tho I cant die?

the other returned's priests are having an aneurysm watching this lol.

and im laughing horrifically loud at this spectacle.

3 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Another clash between @Cash67 and @Wierdo!!!

Wierdo charges in to press the advantage! Cash hangs back and fights defensively, baiting Wierdo to overextend. Cash feints to the left but Wierdo doesn't fall for it! Wierdo steps in close to deliver a killing blow but Cash skewers Wierdo, knocking him backwards!

Both sides have drawn blood and it's anyone's fight now! Cash has wounded Wierdo.

Next round! Possibly the last round!

1 minute ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

can i be a second, even tho I cant die?

I'd say you're eligible yes!

However, be warned that it's possible that you will die if you get in a duel -- Returned aren't immortal, and the reason why you were untargetable before was because you live in your own palace and are constantly surrounded by guards (there's a reason why Returned getting murdered isn't exactly common!), but if you get in a 1v1 fight all bets are off. This doesn't affect the mechanical outcome of the game in any way.. The mechanical consequence of the duel is still deciding the tied vote. It has the potential to affect the final writeup though.

Just now, DrakeMarshall said:

I'd say you're eligible yes!

However, be warned that it's possible that you will die if you get in a duel -- Returned aren't immortal, and the reason why you were untargetable before was because you live in your own palace and are constantly surrounded by guards (there's a reason why Returned getting murdered isn't exactly common!), but if you get in a 1v1 fight all bets are off. This doesn't affect the mechanical outcome of the game in any way.. The mechanical consequence of the duel is still deciding the tied vote. It has the potential to affect the final writeup though.

hm... do either person have a second?

Posted (edited)

Round 3 between @Cash67 and @Wierdo!!!

Both sides are more wary of the other now, bloodied as they are. They circle more cautiously, testing the other with feints while maintaining a close guard. Suddenly, they both spring into action, throwing caution out the window and lunging... And finding the mark.

Both sides scored a hit, this round's a draw! This is a very closely contested duel, which is a fitting metaphor for the game :P

As a reminder, the first non-draw at this point decides the game. Onto another round!

...Alternatively, because 3 sort of feels like a good number of rounds, we could do a tiebreaker of sorts.

A tiebreaker squared, if you will. Since this is already a tiebreaking duel. Tiebreakerception.

If you're interested, here's how that'll work:

Spoiler

Submit to me in our PM whether your character favors their right hand or their left hand in sword combat.

Whoever submits first is deemed the instigator, though there is no inherent advantage in this.

If you favor the same hand, the instigator has a slight advantage, because your weapons are mirrored from each other making it just a tiny bit harder to block.

If you favor different hands, the defender has a slight advantage, because your weapons are positioned closer making it just a tiny bit easier to block.

Again, I'll take submitting this in our PM as tacit endorsement of tiebreaking in this manner, or if you both submit a regular round of attacks I'll go forward with that.

May the odds be in your favour!

Edited by DrakeMarshall

1 minute ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Round 3 between @Cash67 and @Wierdo!!!

Both sides are more wary of the other now, bloodied as they are. They circle more cautiously, testing the other with feints while maintaining a close guard. Suddenly, they both spring into action, throwing caution out the window and lunging... And finding the mark.

Both sides scored a hit, this round's a draw! This is a very closely contested duel, which is a fitting metaphor for the game :P

As a reminder, the first non-draw at this point decides the game. Onto another round!

...Alternatively, because 3 sort of feels like a good number of rounds, we could do a tiebreaker of sorts.

A tiebreaker squared, if you will. Since this is already a tiebreaking duel. Tiebreakerception.

If you're interested, here's how that'll work:

Reveal hidden contents

Submit to me in our PM whether your character favors their right hand or their left hand in sword combat.

Whoever submits first is deemed the instigator, though there is no inherent advantage in this.

If you favor the same hand, the instigator has a slight advantage, because your weapons are mirrored from each other making it just a tiny bit harder to block.

If you favor different hands, the defender has a slight advantage, because your weapons are positioned closer making it just a tiny bit easier to block.

Again, I'll take submitting this in our PM as tacit endorsement of tiebreaking in this manner, or if you both submit a regular round of attacks I'll go forward with that.

May the odds be in your favour!

hm. this write up will be intersting, that's for sure.