What are your thought on the new leaked SA5 chapter-

12 minutes ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

I believe Nale only got his after his chat with Gavilar.

I think Nale got his 500 years ago... feels like OB would have the answer. 

In any case, Nale was going around butchering Radiants long before his chat with Gavilar. 

4 minutes ago, Aredor said:

In any case, Nale was going around butchering Radiants long before his chat with Gavilar

He also has his live spren blade, doesnt necessarily have to be his Honorblade. Im sure there is a description that will confirm either way, but off the top of my head I am not sure.

5 minutes ago, Aredor said:

I think Nale got his 500 years ago... feels like OB would have the answer. 

In any case, Nale was going around butchering Radiants long before his chat with Gavilar. 

Yeah, you're right. He doesn't say when he got it back, but when Nin-son-god shows it off to Szeth in OB ch. 108 Szeth thinks that "once long ago it had been 9. Then this one had vanished" 

Doesn't give a time frame but "long ago it had been 9" makes it sound like it was before Szeth was born the last time they had all 9.  

13 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

You're right it doesn't make sense as presented. 

What if Chana's blade dropped when she died and that was the sword and what Shallan thought of as her mom's soul?

If a Herald dies all indications are that her Honorblade disappears while they are on Braize. The very first prologue shows that.

Unless she had for some reason gotten a conventional dead blade in addition. But this raises a question. Why does a Herald or a Shardbearer go for help to deal with a child bonding a Spren? Why does she not just tell the Spren to leave and is obeyed?

56 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

But this raises a question. Why does a Herald or a Shardbearer go for help to deal with a child bonding a Spren? Why does she not just tell the Spren to leave and is obeyed?

Highspren like hierarchy, that's why they are obeying Nale, but Honorspren clearly showed that they will go any lengths to achieve their goals, even if it means imprisoning a Herald. Heralds have only a limited authority among spren and vary depending on their type. Cryptics have a "reputation," they were the first to respond to the incoming Desolation, their society isn't centered around militarism like Highspren or Honorspren's, they likely don't care that much about what a Herald orders them to do.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:47 PM, Child of Hodor said:

Before Szeth was kicked out there were 8 honorblades left. In WoR Taravangian interlude Tarvangian tries to explain away Kaladin's surgebinding by saying another Honorblade vanished. Szeth says "One of the other 7?". 

I assumed it was Nale's missing, I'll have to check the text though. If it is Chana's missing that makes my theory more plausible. Otherwise she had to go get her blade back after Szeth was made Truthless, but before the prologue. I'm not sure how long a timeframe that is. 

If Shallan took the sword in the safe....does Shallan ALSO have an Honourblade? 

Edited by teknopathetic

43 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

Probably, triple wield!! It might be worth looking back at every time she’s summoned a blade and compare it to the blade Gavilar was examining in the prologue. 

15 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

Probably, triple wield!! It might be worth looking back at every time she’s summoned a blade and compare it to the blade Gavilar was examining in the prologue. 

This also might help explain some of the confusion over heartbeats. It has been super unclear if Shallan could summon her semi-deadeye blade with zero heartbeats. However, if Shallan was actually thinking about her mother's honourblade instead of a semi-deadblade, that might make more sense? 

I could also see Chana telling Lin Davar to put her honourblade in the safe if she were ever to die (stopping it from being stolen or summoned by stone shamans)

Edited by teknopathetic

48 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

This also might help explain some of the confusion over heartbeats. It has been super unclear if Shallan could summon her semi-deadeye blade with zero heartbeats. However, if Shallan was actually thinking about her mother's honourblade instead of a semi-deadblade, that might make more sense? 

I could also see Chana telling Lin Davar to put her honourblade in the safe if she were ever to die (stopping it from being stolen or summoned by stone shamans)

I looked at all the major times she summons a blade and there is nothing obvious. Chana's blade has a huge hole in the center, but nothing like that is described although sometimes it's simply described a "silvery" shardblade which is all of them. 

Yeah I was thinking about the heartbeat thing. When she kills Tyn in WoR Ch. 34 she thinks to herself she doesn't need 10 heartbeats, but then thinks she needs more time. The blade she draws is described as silvery which is not helpful. She could simply be thinking of how Testament used to not need a heartbeat count but now does. 

In the chasm in Ch. 72 it's pretty clearly Pattern, it has a pattern on it that glows in the dark both Shallan and Kaladin remark on it. Kaladin touches it and it doesn't scream like a dead eyed blade. Nothing about a big hole in the center.

When she activates the Oathgate in Ch. 86 she calls pattern by name right before the blade appears. It's probably him. 

In OB and RoW she is almost always undercover or in Shadesmar where the spren blades can't be summoned and she never summons a third blade. Adolin teaches her some of the sword forms early in OB but we don't get much of a description of her blade there. 

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if she had the honorblade. Even some her "Truths" are lies like the big reveal that she killed her mother has Shallan talking to Pattern as if he was the blade there. Is her name even Shallan? Can't trust her. 

44 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I looked at all the major times she summons a blade and there is nothing obvious. Chana's blade has a huge hole in the center, but nothing like that is described although sometimes it's simply described a "silvery" shardblade which is all of them. 

Yeah I was thinking about the heartbeat thing. When she kills Tyn in WoR Ch. 34 she thinks to herself she doesn't need 10 heartbeats, but then thinks she needs more time. The blade she draws is described as silvery which is not helpful. She could simply be thinking of how Testament used to not need a heartbeat count but now does. 

In the chasm in Ch. 72 it's pretty clearly Pattern, it has a pattern on it that glows in the dark both Shallan and Kaladin remark on it. Kaladin touches it and it doesn't scream like a dead eyed blade. Nothing about a big hole in the center.

When she activates the Oathgate in Ch. 86 she calls pattern by name right before the blade appears. It's probably him. 

In OB and RoW she is almost always undercover or in Shadesmar where the spren blades can't be summoned and she never summons a third blade. Adolin teaches her some of the sword forms early in OB but we don't get much of a description of her blade there. 

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if she had the honorblade. Even some her "Truths" are lies like the big reveal that she killed her mother has Shallan talking to Pattern as if he was the blade there. Is her name even Shallan? Can't trust her. 

Thanks for doing that!

I wonder if Radiant is the honourblade in some way. Radiant seems different than her other personas, and i can see the honourblade causing something strange with that. 

Also, Shallan having an honourblade might explain her stronger abilities and resonances mentioned in this chapter:

Questioner

If a Radiant uses an Honorblade or binds a second spren, could they get new abilities/resonances by having access to Surges that aren't usually combined?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they could. Indeed.

Edited by teknopathetic

That is interesting as a theory. The main issue is that Chana is Herald of the Dustbringers, and the aforementioned Honorblade would give Division and Abrasion, neither of which Shallan or Radiant seem to have any connections to. In the other hand, Dustbringers are all about self- mastery of destructive potential, which matches up extremely well with Radiant, so maybe there is something similar to this.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:26 PM, alder24 said:

Highspren like hierarchy, that's why they are obeying Nale, but Honorspren clearly showed that they will go any lengths to achieve their goals, even if it means imprisoning a Herald. Heralds have only a limited authority among spren and vary depending on their type. Cryptics have a "reputation," they were the first to respond to the incoming Desolation, their society isn't centered around militarism like Highspren or Honorspren's, they likely don't care that much about what a Herald orders them to do.

Still, whom does a Herald call in the expaction to get somebody better equipped to handle suc a situation. And who would attack a Herald's daughter in her presence?

On 5/9/2024 at 8:26 PM, teknopathetic said:

Love this theory. My only issue with it is that Heralds should take their swords with them when they go to Braize.