Frankenwakener

Koloss17

So I was looking at the potential of awakening, and I had a gruesome thought.

Hypothetically, could someone chop off parts of their body (say, hands or arms), sow them back on, and with a sufficiently complex command, awaken their body part as a versatile prothetic?

the end result of this would be an effect similar to a kandra—being able to move and manipulate parts of your body in very grotesque and seemingly impossible ways. Pulling back fingers to reveal blades, using your thigh as a skin pocket, etc. potentially, though I’m not quite sure of the nature of lifeless, you would create a lifeless hand similar to Thing in the Addams Family. 

(For those curious, this is a hypothetical based on a character that I’m making in the Alleyverse RP. I have…a lot of such theories, honestly.)

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

Hypothetically, could someone chop off parts of their body (say, hands or arms), sow them back on, and with a sufficiently complex command, awaken their body part as a versatile prothetic?

I think it's possible, but why would you do that? It would be always an inferior version of your hand.

the end result of this would be an effect similar to a kandra—being able to move and manipulate parts of your body in very grotesque and seemingly impossible ways. Pulling back fingers to reveal blades, using your thigh as a skin pocket, etc.

That's impossible. Your body doesn't do that, Lifeless doesn't do that. The more damaged the flesh is, the weaker and harder it is for Lifeless to act, the more Breaths you need to sustain that Lifeless. But you won't have flesh like Kandra has, the human body is not the same, Lifeless won't allow for skin pockets or blades under your fingers or something. 

Well, if you were to use a cut off body part of a Kandra/Mistwraith, then maybe you could do that, then maybe you would be able to do that with a proper Command. But it might be really hard to combine a Lifeless Kandra hand with your body.

potentially, though I’m not quite sure of the nature of lifeless, you would create a lifeless hand similar to Thing in the Addams Family. 

That's more possible.

It should work, but it would have significant downsides.  You'd need to preserve he reattached body part with Ichor, so it would not be compatible with your own circulatory system.  So it would literally just be a fleshwad strapped on and slowly rotting, and you couldnt carve yourself back to a brain in a Lifeless flesh-jar because you'd need to maintain all the critical support organs so it wouldnt become as useful as the Kandra-state.  In all ways this sounds like it's inferior to both your actual limbs and to just awakening cloth to augment your limbs as we often see.  

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

So I was looking at the potential of awakening, and I had a gruesome thought.

the end result of this would be an effect similar to a kandra—being able to move and manipulate parts of your body in very grotesque and seemingly impossible ways. Pulling back fingers to reveal blades, using your thigh as a skin pocket, etc. potentially, though I’m not quite sure of the nature of lifeless, you would create a lifeless hand similar to Thing in the Addams Family. 

(For those curious, this is a hypothetical based on a character that I’m making in the Alleyverse RP. I have…a lot of such theories, honestly.)

Would it not be better to just have an arm or leg Blade Deadened, then Awaken the "severed" limb? 

Spoiler

Darth Vizious

Could you make a Lifeless out of someone killed with a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardblades sever the soul from the body, but Awakening makes a "fake" soul for a body, so how the soul left doesn't matter.

General Twitter 2015 (Nov. 1, 2015)

Excelsius

What's the biological reaction of a limb cut by a Shardblade, because they don't start to rot after being cut?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah they don't start to rot, so the bloodflow is still happening. The limb is still attached, it's not going to rot off, but the soul is dead. This is a thing that can happen in the cosmere that can't happen here. Because you have Spiritual, [Cognitive], and Physical DNA. Your soul's been severed in that part, and it just flops around. You can't feel it, you can't control it. It's something that, again, couldn't happen here.

Bonn Signing (May 15, 2019)

Blood was still flowing, the limb was still intact - it just would have an artificial soul that can be Commanded (and likely be stronger - just as a Lifelss is generally stronger than a normal person). 

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Would it not be better to just have an arm or leg Blade Deadened, then Awaken the "severed" limb? 

Hide contents

Blood was still flowing, the limb was still intact - it just would have an artificial soul that can be Commanded (and likely be stronger - just as a Lifelss is generally stronger than a normal person). 

So basically cut an arm with a shardblade, awaken the arm to have the arm commanded? Seems definitely interesting. 

Im thinking that this would have the advantage of at the very least being able to command an arm to do previously impossible things, and having reactions of its own is pretty cool. There’s certainly potential here.

3 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I'm thinking that this would have the advantage of at the very least being able to command an arm to do previously impossible things, and having reactions of its own is pretty cool. There’s certainly potential here.

Certainly brings new meaning to AHS.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:37 AM, Koloss17 said:

So basically cut an arm with a shardblade, awaken the arm to have the arm commanded? Seems definitely interesting. 

Im thinking that this would have the advantage of at the very least being able to command an arm to do previously impossible things, and having reactions of its own is pretty cool. There’s certainly potential here.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:41 AM, Treamayne said:

Certainly brings new meaning to AHS.

Worst. Prank. Ever.