Adventures in Edassa Information Thread (RP Ongoing!)

Seonid

So I have gotten really busy, and unfortunately, I don't see it letting up in the close future.  As such, I think I will have to withdraw from this.  Sorry everyone, it looked really cool and I think I will try to keep up, but I won't have the time to commit to this.  Apologies. 

So since I picked up WoT again I can't help but imagine the Paladins as Asha'man who joined the Children.

Also, is the magic Paladins use more like Soulcasting or Chanelling?

Hmm...Asha'man that joined the Children, eh? I'd find that a pretty good description. They have their own army, aren't beholden to any nation, and operate anywhere their religion holds sway. (And places where it doesn't that aren't powerful enough to make an issue over it.)

The Inquisition would be similar to the Hand of the Light, in this analogy. A mix Asha'man and non-channelers in the Hand of the Light.

As far as magic, we're looking much more like channeling rather than soulcasting, but neither is a really good match. I've been saying for a while that I need one last revision on the magic stuff I've posted, as well as a revised creation mythos, and I hope to get to that soon. Not to mention the cultural/geographical background stuff I've been promising for months now. Schoolwork is taking it out of me, though, and I keep hearing that real life is more important than forum roleplaying games (I know, heresy, right?). I'm just glad that the semester is almost over.

So I have gotten really busy, and unfortunately, I don't see it letting up in the close future.  As such, I think I will have to withdraw from this.  Sorry everyone, it looked really cool and I think I will try to keep up, but I won't have the time to commit to this.  Apologies. 

Sorry to hear that. If you do get time in the future, you're welcome to join late. Or if this gets successful enough to support spin-offs, you'd be welcome in there too. Also, I do hope that you enjoy reading through this while it's running.

(I know, heresy, right?).

Did someone say Heresy? We're going to need the names and addresses of these people... ya know, fo rthe good of the realm or whatever

*Storkes mustache and laughs evily*

Today's the day!!

Expect a new thread for the actual RP. I'm just going to give in to the inevitable and let this one become the planning, scheming, ponifying (when appropriate), and snarking thread. And anything else. I'll update the OP with rule information today, as well as posting the first installment of the RP.

Hope everyone has fun!!

Name: Aachtineignisfina (or you can just call her Fina) 

Physical Description: 17, pale white skin, icy blue eyes, black braided hair all down her back, female, 5'8", light for her age, but still plenty strong, and lots of muscle. 

History/Bio: Born in the Northlands and a Svalding mercenary. Others didn't think that a female could fight and few hired her, but her skill with the axe lead them to overcome their gender prejudice.

Religion/Belief System (if any): Church of the Martyr

Class I entity

Also, is it possible for a Mage to have a small ability to use IIa magic as well? I know you said that they are interchangeable, but people tend to study one or the other, but is it possible for my mage to have two or three emergency spells memorized as well?

Also, will you be putting up a map soon?

What technology is there in this time period?

Excellent character, Winter Cloud. That name, though... :blink:

It's certainly unique. I like it. Welcome to the RP. (And good on Fina for bucking the gender stereotype trends. Does she use a hand axe or a throwing axe? Or both?)

Also, is it possible for a Mage to have a small ability to use IIa magic as well? I know you said that they are interchangeable, but people tend to study one or the other, but is it possible for my mage to have two or three emergency spells memorized as well?

Also, will you be putting up a map soon?

What technology is there in this time period?

Definitely possible. The reason they tend to specialize in one or the other is both practical and cultural. Each memorized spell takes up a portion of the Mage's ability to function as a lever, and so reduces the amount of power they can transfer. If he/she's willing to make the sacrifice, then memorizing the spells is almost a non-issue. (There is still the very important issue of actually learning the memorized spells. They are definitely not something that can be made up on the spot. It takes years of research to actually get a new spell working. Sometimes more. Not something that someone is likely to pick up on their own.)

The cultural issues are harder to surmount, but not impossible. For communities based around one form of magic, the other is often taboo, if not regarded as downright evil. For the Mages at Lushbeck, for example (about a century dead, in our RP, unfortunately), the mere act of studying Type IIa magic was punishable by death (whether or not you were a member of the group. They actively hunted down users of that kind of magic). Paladins and Inquisitors are not quite so assiduously against Type IIb magic, but they certainly consider it unnatural, and proscribe its use.

But every group has people who buck its norms. Even the strongest cultural norms are broken by someone, somewhere. You can have your character be that person. Whether or not there will be social consequences depends on your character's backstory...

As far as the map goes, well, I'm a little behind on that. I hope to have it finished by the end of the week. At some point, I ought to put together a map of the city of Menkor, too. But tomorrow's projects are: finish the cultural bits, get Kobold's Spirit/Material interactions piece up, and get a political description of the area up, so that y'all know who the major players are.

As far as technology. Gunpowder is a thing (although pistols are brand new - as in, only like 4 of them in the world so far new). Currently, full plate armor is the preferred protection of the rich and powerful. More average soldiers can't really afford that very well, so they make do with whatever they can buy. A powerful ruler or war leader will sometimes provide high-quality armor and weapons for his soldiers, but these are generally reserved for the elites, as almost nobody is rich enough to buy it for a whole army.

Cavalry prefer the lance (except for light cavalry, which use sabres or longswords). Crossbows are the preferred ranged weapon, but there are a few groups that use longbows. Mercenaries depend on where they are from.

As far as engineering, think high Middle Ages on the verge of the Renaissance. No steam engines, but we are still capable of fantastic feats of architecture. Magic isn't widespread enough to have a significant impact in the daily lives of the average person (although it is quite prominent in folklore). On exceptional occasions, a really sick person will be brought to a local temple for healing. Sometimes it even works (pretty much, when the healer is an actual magic-user or a doctor instead of a charlatan.)

Temples are mostly the centers of learning and study, as well as religion. There are a few secular schools, but not a continent-wide network of them.

Naval technology is not extremely sophisticated, but we are up to, for example, three-masted galleons able to tack into the wind. And armed with cannon.

What other kind of technology questions did you have in mind?

Also, I'll get back to you on the whole magical limitations thing. My break's up now. Sorry.

Thanks a lot! I'll wait for the limitations answer before I completely write my profile. Also, do IIa and IIb magics have the same type of limitations in what they can do? How much effort and time does it take to learn one of the simplest spells and what type of spells would those be? I'm thinking of having a mage with one or two spells memorized, but I might change it.

That's great for the technology. If I have anything specific, I'll ask those later. 

My Character Sheet! :B

Name: Shuster Tokutreed

Physical Description: (19, pale/dark brown eyes/ Scruffy white hair, Male, 6.3 ft/160 lbs? (not too fussed about weight/height x.x)/Wearing a weathered black Tricorn and a long black cloak over light leather Armour)

Religion/Belief System (if any): Follows a Patron God outside of Popular Religion

History/Bio: Born in Sencalon, but was raised in one of the Varand nations. After both his parents died, he inherited his only family possession (a stolen Rapier), and was forced to travel around the land as a mercenary. Despite only barely getting by, he has earned himself a fierce reputation, and rumors speak of his strange powers and feats of agility. Regardless, in his short time of work- he has already made a lot of dangerous enemies, and is consequently always on the move.

Class II entity

Is this enough? .3.;

Name: Samuel Carthen

Physical Description: A 27 year old tanned man with short brown hair. 6'5 ft and 95kg. Generally wears nondescript clothing when on Inquisitorial business or his formal uniform.

Religion/Belief System (if any): Inquisitor for the Church of the Martyr.

History/Bio: Samuel left home to become a soldier at a young age and while on campaign he met his wife Melindra they were married in his home town and he began to work a small farm to provide for them. Melindra became pregnant however both she and the babe died during childbirth at this point Samuel joined the church of the Martyr. In this role he has become quite harsh, the bitterness in his past influencing the way he treats others, with the sole exception of his familiar.

Magic: Sorcerer who has previously contracted a familiar.

Name: Fenrison

Physical Description: A 7 Year old Wolf, Mostly Grey, but with a streak of White fur running down the Center of his Back.

Religion: The Will of his Master

History: *Coming soon to a post near you*

Magic: *Coming soon to a post near you*

Edited by The Only Joe

Anybody's welcome to post next. If nobody does tomorrow, then I'll make another post. I expect people are kind of waiting to break the ice somehow. It might be helpful for everyone to ask the question "What is my character doing in Menkor?"