Have you ever switched radiant order?

Picking an order of the Knights Radiant for the Words of Radiance leatherbound campaign has me thinking about when i switched orders during the Way of Kings leatherbound campaign. I'm curious to hear other's journey to their current order of Knights Radiant. so...

Have you ever switched orders? What caused you to switch? Are you happy you made the switch? How likely are you to switch orders again?

I first chose Stonewards as my favorite order after WoR for their focus on dedication & loyalty. Plus Taln is obviously amazing. When I took the official radiant quiz released with the WoK leatherbound campaign, I was surprised to get Skybreaker as my top result (and still do), whereas Stoneward is never higher than middle of the pack for me. Brandon also told us a little more about each order as part of the campaign. I put a lot of thought into my order at the time because picking an order is fun and I wanted to get swag for the right order. It was a close call between Skybreaker, Stoneward, Windrunner, and Truthwatcher, but I ultimately did decide to go with the quiz result and switched to Skybreaker.

I've been very happy with the switch so far. Stonewards have gotten very little screen time so far, and it might still be a few books until that changes. (after OB, the lack of stonewards made me theorize all modern peakspren were refusing to form radiant bonds - turns out that was actually the inkspren minus ivory.) Skybreakers, on the other hand, pop up all over the place (even if it's often as the villain!). Szeth and Nale are both interesting/cool characters, and I enjoy learning more about Skybreakers through them.

Now that I've committed to 2 Skybreaker swag packs, it would take a lot to make me switch orders again! the biggest threat is probably from the orders that haven't shown up too much yet, like the Elsecallers or... Stonewards.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:58 AM, Shoots said:

Picking an order of the Knights Radiant for the Words of Radiance leatherbound campaign has me thinking about when i switched orders during the Way of Kings leatherbound campaign. I'm curious to hear other's journey to their current order of Knights Radiant. so...

Have you ever switched orders? What caused you to switch? Are you happy you made the switch? How likely are you to switch orders again?

I first chose Stonewards as my favorite order after WoR for their focus on dedication & loyalty. Plus Taln is obviously amazing. When I took the official radiant quiz released with the WoK leatherbound campaign, I was surprised to get Skybreaker as my top result (and still do), whereas Stoneward is never higher than middle of the pack for me. Brandon also told us a little more about each order as part of the campaign. I put a lot of thought into my order at the time because picking an order is fun and I wanted to get swag for the right order. It was a close call between Skybreaker, Stoneward, Windrunner, and Truthwatcher, but I ultimately did decide to go with the quiz result and switched to Skybreaker.

I've been very happy with the switch so far. Stonewards have gotten very little screen time so far, and it might still be a few books until that changes. (after OB, the lack of stonewards made me theorize all modern peakspren were refusing to form radiant bonds - turns out that was actually the inkspren minus ivory.) Skybreakers, on the other hand, pop up all over the place (even if it's often as the villain!). Szeth and Nale are both interesting/cool characters, and I enjoy learning more about Skybreakers through them.

Now that I've committed to 2 Skybreaker swag packs, it would take a lot to make me switch orders again! the biggest threat is probably from the orders that haven't shown up too much yet, like the Elsecallers or... Stonewards.

I am perpetually unsure as to my order, when I first read book one and I was younger. I thought for sure I was a windrunner, as I got older and learned more, I honestly thought I may be a lightweaver. A few friends and my mother said I seemed more like an elsecaller at the time, further contributing to my confusion. But I finally settled more on lightweaver due to my love of stories and DMing. 

Recently though with the release of the radiant order videos. A friend of mine who read book one of stormlight and is very good at taking called shots pointed out several things in my personality that would imply I am a dustbringer. Suffice to say, I am perpetually unsure, which I think would point to me being a lightweaver but I cannot say for certain.

Edited by TheWanderer

The quiz first gave me Willshaper, so I went with that for the TWOK campaign and decided to be a Willshaper for a while. The next time I took it I got Lightweaver. My personal choice would be Skybreaker or Skybreaker-Willshaper combo, and I went for Skybreaker stuff this time around. Been a while since I last took the quiz, curious what it would give me now... 

19 hours ago, Shoots said:

I'm not that attached to a certain order to pick one as definitely mine. The idea of Radiant orders is that you can choose the one that you like the most, even if it's not the one you're the most fitted to based on your personality - a person can be fitted to many orders at once, they change and aspire to be worthy of being a Radiant of that particular order. I would advise you to go with what you love, not necessarily with what the quiz assigned you to.

The last time I've done the quiz it was a year ago, I'm 80% Truthwatcher and 58% Skybreaker on the second place by the quiz results, and I agree with them (4 other orders follow just 1-4% below Skybreakers so that's not really a solid second position). They both fit me well. I would add Lightweavers as the third order, I think I would benefit a lot from their Ideals, even though they are in the middle of the quiz list. While the core ideology Truthwatchers is a good choice for me, my problem is that we've actually never seen Truthwatchers in action, it's hard to say how they progress and improve, what their Ideals are, or what they can do with their powers. We don't have a full picture of all orders for now and that's why I'm not attached to one specific order. I'm waiting for more data to make an educated decision - a very Truthwatcher thing to do.

Edited by alder24

11 hours ago, alder24 said:

I'm not that attached to a certain order to pick one as definitely mine. The idea of Radiant orders is that you can choose the one that you like the most, even if it's not the one you're the most fitted to based on your personality - a person can be fitted to many orders at once, they change and aspire to be worthy of being a Radiant of that particular order. I would advise you to go with what you love, not necessarily with what the quiz assigned you to.

The last time I've done the quiz it was a year ago, I'm 80% Truthwatcher and 58% Skybreaker on the second place by the quiz results, and I agree with them (4 other orders follow just 1-4% below Skybreakers so that's not really a solid second position). They both fit me well. I would add Lightweavers as the third order, I think I would benefit a lot from their Ideals, even though they are in the middle of the quiz list. While the core ideology Truthwatchers is a good choice for me, my problem is that we've actually never seen Truthwatchers in action, it's hard to say how they progress and improve, what their Ideals are, or what they can do with their powers. We don't have a full picture of all orders for now and that's why I'm not attached to one specific order. I'm waiting for more data to make an educated decision - a very Truthwatcher thing to do.

Yeah, I agree the personality quiz isn't everything, and can be disregarded if one feels another order is a better fit. Though for some orders we don't have much more than the personality test and the short blurb that came with it (though I believe we're going to learn all the ideals in the next year or two with the next Brotherwise-Stormlight colab). I like the Skybreakers for many reasons - personality, characters, responsibilities, ideals, spren, powers. though it wasn't until I read the Skybreaker blurb that noted the modern Skybreakers are more rigid than the ancient order that I was comfortable choosing them as my favorite. 

I applaud your patience; I couldn't wait that long! I love reading about all the orders, but get an extra bit of enjoyment when my favorite order shows up!

When I first read the books I liked the Edgedancers and Windrunners and decided that I was one of those. Then I took the test and got lightweaver, but Shallan was my least favorite character, so I rejected the idea. After RoW and a reread, I don't hate Shallan anymore, and I genuinely accept being a lightweaver. I love the idea of truth and admitting things about yourself and totally see myself as a lightweaver.

5 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

When I first read the books I liked the Edgedancers and Windrunners and decided that I was one of those. Then I took the test and got lightweaver, but Shallan was my least favorite character, so I rejected the idea. After RoW and a reread, I don't hate Shallan anymore, and I genuinely accept being a lightweaver. I love the idea of truth and admitting things about yourself and totally see myself as a lightweaver.

Thanks for sharing! Stories like this - where one rejects an order during their first read and then chooses them as their favorite on a reread - illustrate the depth to the different orders. 

On 4/6/2024 at 12:58 PM, Shoots said:

From what I've seen, true skybreakers almost never pick themselves.

Edit: also switched to skybreakers. Also super psyched about the next release. Greatly enjoyed the post, just didn't have a whole lot to add beyond validation.

Edited by hwiles

On 4/8/2024 at 11:52 AM, Pineap-spider said:

Shallan may be the central Lightweaver in the Stormlight Archive, but that's far from saying she's a typical or even prototypical Lightweaver in-world.

She seems quite exceptional in a number of ways. Like, we see that both Vathah and Gaz have become full Lighweavers bonded to a Crytpic, and Elhokar was about to bond one as well.

Yes, they all have difficult pasts and done Things They Regret and thus lie to themselves about how it happened - Ye Olde Cognitive Dissonance - and thus, had nasty truths they have (or would have) had to admit to themselves. Desertion. Murder. Cruel, even slightly sadistic indifference to bridgemen suffering. Poor decisions that cost people's lives.

But Shallan's lies to herself are on a whole other level. She lied to herself about already being a Lightweaver... And ended up a redoubled Lightweaver?! Never mind the suspicions about her mother being Chana!