Artificial Intelligence in the cosmere

My thought was, what if the majority of a person's identity and memories were saved by using Feruchamey and placed in a machine (a robot, computer, or anything else) would this function much like AI does in our world. Maybe not a perfect recreation of a person, but have the fundamentals of that person?

Would this be a way to "save" important figures from history from this discovery forward or upload those who previously did similarly?

Case in point, the Lord Ruler saved an imperfect back up version with only enough memories and identity to come back as a much weaker version in hopes to someday have others help restore his memory. 

Somehow, the Lord Ruler returned? 

2 hours ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I think the first question would be how would said machine access the metalmind without a soul.

The second is which books have you read.

Honestly, my first thought is a soul stamp or something similar. 

As for books, it's a bit all over the place, but I don't mind spoilers. 

1 hour ago, SilverShard said:

Honestly, my first thought is a soul stamp or something similar. 

if we are talking about soul stamps wouldn't it be easier to just use the coppermind to create a stamp that will create a copy of that person and give it to someone who is brain-dead. possibly something that could be done in the future of the cosmere.

4 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

if we are talking about soul stamps wouldn't it be easier to just use the coppermind to create a stamp that will create a copy of that person and give it to someone who is brain-dead. possibly something that could be done in the future of the cosmere.

Possibly, although that feels more like a Mentat from Dune, so it depends on a few factors. Like would a soul stamp work using something that isn't particularly that wax on Sel. If it doesn't work that way, you might be able to use the wax to re-write somethings history to make it able to "read" the saved information, like a flash drive. 

15 hours ago, SilverShard said:

My thought was, what if the majority of a person's identity and memories were saved by using Feruchamey and placed in a machine (a robot, computer, or anything else) would this function much like AI does in our world. Maybe not a perfect recreation of a person, but have the fundamentals of that person?

Would this be a way to "save" important figures from history from this discovery forward or upload those who previously did similarly?

It's kind of possible, if you Awaken those metalminds, or rather it's possible that those memories and identity will have some influence over the Awakened construct and it will be able to use them. With access to a Coppermind containing all memories of that person, an AI like that will be able to at least simulate that person.

Spoiler

Questioner

Say you have a Feruchemist who pours Identity into a metalmind. Then subsequently loses that mind, and then is later Awakened? Would that mind retain the personality of--

*Everyone laughs, Scottish man says "it's 11 o'clock at night, give the man a break!"*

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, so they store Identity—which I haven't told you what it does--

Questioner

Yep. We don't know.

Brandon Sanderson

And then you Awaken it, and then you want to know if it has the personality of the person?

Questioner

Yeah, or if it's able to communicate in any way.

Brandon Sanderson

Um, if-- how much Awakened is it? Is it Nightblood-level Awakened? Or is it just regular Awakened?

Questioner

Sure let's say Nightblood-level.

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood-level. So it's-- so the Investiture has been granted sapience. And it's got Investiture from somebody else stuffed in it. I can foresee a scenario where that has an influence, but it's not going to be the personality of the person who stuffed it in. I can see some circumstances where they can-- where the Investiture of the object can make use of that in some way, but...

Oh boy, that was a weird one.

Shadows of Self Lansing signing (Oct. 13, 2015)

15 hours ago, SilverShard said:

Case in point, the Lord Ruler saved an imperfect back up version with only enough memories and identity to come back as a much weaker version in hopes to someday have others help restore his memory. 

No. He didn't care to make a replacement for himself, nor did he want somebody to have access to powers like he had and have his memories, which would reveal his secret. Have you read The Secret History?

12 hours ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I think the first question would be how would said machine access the metalmind without a soul.

An AI would most likely have a soul. Nightblood is a robot-spren already.

Spoiler

Snipexe

On Roshar, if there was an AI would it appear as a soul or a bead? 

Brandon Sanderson

In Shadesmar assuming there is an AI, would it appear as the soul of an object or a being? Most likely as a being, depending on various things going on.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)

14 minutes ago, SilverShard said:

So, I misspoke when I said case in point when I meant it as a hypothetical example. And yes, I have read secret history. Cause I read the Cosmere in what is probably the worst possible order...

I'm less concerned about secret history than other books.

5 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I'm less concerned about secret history than other books.

I'm open for all spoilers, I don't mind. I know for some it's a no-go, but for me they just add for my own behind the scenes red string. 

Given the mechanics we know of in the Cosmere, and the nature of what you're describing, I don't know if we'd even call such things "artificial" intelligences. They'd be essentially the same, intelligence-wise, as the person they copied and the mode of intelligence would be "natural" enough.

The nature of the soul in the Cosmere is something we'll likely never quite get closure on, but I wouldn't even feel confident that the copy wouldn't have a soul (in whatever sense a person might mean it). My feeling is that, if the copying were done perfectly and the Identity and patterns of thought (memories of experiences, decisions, all perfectly copied) are the same then any copies might "share" the soul of the original. The soul exists primarily in the Spiritual Realm, where location is not even a thing and energy is infinite, so why couldn't a soul "be" in two "places" at once? (I'm getting very Children of the Mind vibes from the idea, though it would probably be cleaner in the Cosmere!). And something more exotic could happen, too, like souls being duplicated too, or or an effectively new soul being "created" as soon as the mind of the copy becomes sapient but distinct in sensation and autonomy from the original, and more.

Various figures in the Cosmere are already essentially what you describe (though via other mechanisms and without duplication concerns), though we might say that they effectively are their souls and so the issue is elided. Spoiler-tagged for those concerned about some of the big Cosmere reveals:

Spoiler

All of the Returned, maybe particularly Vasher, Kelsier, the Heralds, the Fused, possibly Seons, arguably Vessles that Ascend... lots of "minds" and souls stapled to something other than the physical matter that they started with.

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2024 at 2:06 AM, SilverShard said:

Modern technologies are still far from fully realizing this idea. But I think everything is possible in the future. If many opportunities have already appeared. For example ai essay writer, I use ai generator for essays for help. I'm afraid to imagine what this will all develop into in the future. We can only watch.

There are many questions about this. Will this be genuine consciousness or just an imitation?

Edited by bestmanof