Nightwatcher Boon/Bane (Game)

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

they have pottery glaze on them

i wish for the ability to play the third movement of Beethoven's fifth

Yes!! Finally, my food pottery art set is finally complete!! Do you know how long I’ve waited for this day!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Oh, and granted, it sounds so beautiful that you only dare play it once; if you try to play it again, you might mess up, so you decide to leave the song as a memory inside your head.

I wish for some stuff.

13 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I wish for some stuff.

The Nightwatcher shakes her head and tsk tsks you.

"Do you not realize the gravity of the situation? Do you not comprehend that by bending knee before me as a beggar before a feast you make your life my plaything, and for what, some stuff?"

The Nightwatcher begins pacing, her trailing tendrils animatedly drumming in either a fit of pique or extreme agitation.

"Some stuff-that could be a moldy apple and a used coffee filter, or two packets of sugar, or a handful of dirt, a rusty tin can and some stinking fish guts. Or even worse it could be 3 Reshi islands that I make appear right over your head!"

"What I am I to do with you? Quit slouching, and look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Having had quite enough of the NightWatcher's patronizing tirade you say "Hey, I didn't ask for a lecture I just asked for some stuff."

The Nightwatcher turns her frosty glare on you and hisses "Fine, enjoy your dog's dinner of a wish"

In your hand appears a manky, dirty oversized lollipop that has obviously been dropped on the forest floor. On your head is a pointed dunce cap that says "Dumb as a Chull", and your final boon from the Nightwatcher is a piece of paper affixed to your rear end that says "Please kind sir or madam, kick me ever so hard".

Your bane is that you can't drop the lollipop until you've eaten it. You can't take off the dunce cap until you've graduated Magna Cum Laude from an accredited institution of higher learning. And the sign shall remain on your backside for eternity (even when you go to the great beyond).

I wish that you could buy guacamole that could be dispensed out of a can, kind of like Easy cheese.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

On 10/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

The Nightwatcher shakes her head and tsk tsks you.

"Do you not realize the gravity of the situation? Do you not comprehend that by bending knee before me as a beggar before a feast you make your life my plaything, and for what, some stuff?"

The Nightwatcher begins pacing, her trailing tendrils animatedly drumming in either a fit of pique or extreme agitation.

"Some stuff-that could be a moldy apple and a used coffee filter, or two packets of sugar, or a handful of dirt, a rusty tin can and some stinking fish guts. Or even worse it could be 3 Reshi islands that I make appear right over your head!"

"What I am I to do with you? Quit slouching, and look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Having had quite enough of the NightWatcher's patronizing tirade you say "Hey, I didn't ask for a lecture I just asked for some stuff."

The Nightwatcher turns her frosty glare on you and hisses "Fine, enjoy your dog's dinner of a wish"

In your hand appears a manky, dirty oversized lollipop that has obviously been dropped on the forest floor. On your head is a pointed dunce cap that says "Dumb as a Chull", and your final boon from the Nightwatcher is a piece of paper affixed to your rear end that says "Please kind sir or madam, kick me ever so hard".

Your bane is that you can't drop the lollipop until you've eaten it. You can't take off the dunce cap until you've graduated Magna Cum Laude from an accredited institution of higher learning. And the sign shall remain on your backside for eternity (even when you go to the great beyond).

I wish that you could buy guacamole that could be dispensed out of a can, kind of like Easy cheese.

Hello again, @hoiditthroughthegrapevine! *smiles ominously*

"Your wish is granted", the Nightwatcher said, "huh, you know that's one of the simplest requests I've gotten"

You tried to reply but the only thing that came out was guacamole. *You* were the guacamole machine!

"You never learn", the Nightwatcher smiled happily. She took out another coin from somewhere among her many hands, passing it along from hand to hand and finally into your hand, alongside the first coin she had slipped in while you were distracted. She got another plate for Cultivation. "Thank you for the meal! This smells delicious!"

I wish for the extinction of mosquitoes

Edited by Honorless

1 minute ago, Elend Venture said:

"Your wish is granted but your bane...well, your bane..."

I wish to challenge Brightlord Amaram to single combat.

(Anyone else too scared to click on links like those?)

Granted. He gets two shardblades and you get nothing, though.

I wish for a pair of warm, fuzzy socks.

3 hours ago, Lunamor said:

(Anyone else too scared to click on links like those?)

I wish for a pair of warm, fuzzy socks.

(It was what would happen if they were removed from the food chain, quora) 

Granted, but you see something else entirely in the mirror. If you know what I mean. ;) 

I pass on having a wish, I can’t think of anything. 

Edited by AonEne

16 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

I wish to know what I saw in the mirror.

Do you, really? I find the idea of the Erised slightly horrifying. It was potentially the most dangerous thing in the castle, only behind the Philosopher's Stone

If it were to actually exist... looking into it could be the boon and the bane 

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Do you, really? I find the idea of the Erised slightly horrifying. It was potentially the most dangerous thing in the castle, only behind the Philosopher's Stone

If it were to actually exist... looking into it could be the boon and the bane 

Why do you think so? Seems to me like it’d depend on the type of person you are. 

It might.

3 hours ago, Lunamor said:

I wish to know what I saw in the mirror.

Congratulations. The knowledge is transmitted directly into your brain, without your senses having to experience it.

I wish scientists had developed the ability to transmit any kind of information by the same means and that all schooling systems adopt the technique as a valid teaching method. (Look, I'm trying to revolutionize society as we know it, okay? Just make me eat a squishy grape or something.)

3 hours ago, AonEne said:

Why do you think so? Seems to me like it’d depend on the type of person you are. 

Yes. There are so many unattainable desires that even someone sound & healthy might have. Yet, we've all been in vulnerable places before. We like to think of ourselves as stable but really we're far more reactionary than that. The mirror, remember, isn't just an indicator. It's not static. It can show you your ugliest or most repressed desires, bringing them back to the forefront. It can and will evolve with you. You will keep coming back to it. It can easily grasp you in a positive feedback loop. You keep coming back to it because the possibilities it shows you, of things you can't have or things that are beyond the mundane for you. That inevitability of losing a loved one, yet being able to seemingly interact with them, like shown in the book itself. Can you imagine how dangerous that alone could make it? It's drug and internet and TV as the older generations demonize them, and that's Erised at its best.

7 hours ago, Brightness Warrior said:

I wish scientists had developed the ability to transmit any kind of information by the same means and that all schooling systems adopt the technique as a valid teaching method. (Look, I'm trying to revolutionize society as we know it, okay? Just make me eat a squishy grape or something.)

Granted, the Nightwatcher does not give you a bane.

Many years down the line, the ability you had granted humanity, by sticking your neck out to a spren known to take delight in twisting humanity's wishes, is now being twisted by humanity itself.

Why would rulers even need propaganda when information can be directly transmitted to someone's brain? Now, there is only one outlook, one style, one opinion, everything is monotone and homogeneous...

But before that dystopian world came to be, there was, and not for a brief few years but for entire generations, an era of human discovery, unity and progress. Brought by you, during your lifetime. Whereas this dystopian world isn't during your lifetime. So, why care, right? Surely the Nightwatcher's boon was only that and if this was the price, it was worth it. Your discoveries have, after all, not been forgotten

I wish for luck (specifically, the good kind)

Edited by Honorless

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

Granted, the Nightwatcher does not give you a bane.

Many years down the line, the ability you had granted humanity, by sticking your neck out to a spren known to take delight in twisting humanity's wishes, is now being twisted by humanity itself.

Why would rulers even need propaganda when information can be directly transmitted to someone's brain? Now, there is only one outlook, one style, one opinion, everything is monotone and homogeneous...

But before that dystopian world came to be, there was, and not for a brief few years but for entire generations, an era of human discovery, unity and progress. Brought by you, during your lifetime. Whereas this dystopian world isn't during your lifetime. So, why care, right? Surely the Nightwatcher's boon was only that and if this was the price, it was worth it. Your discoveries have, after all, not been forgotten

I wish for luck (specifically, the good kind)

Granted. You roll two dice, and they come up as the Dark One’s eyes. You luck has officially run out now, however. On the bright side, you won the game you were playing!

I wish for more WoT.

"Granted, little human. You are now incapable of remembering how to read. Every word will look like Shshshshsh."

"I wish for unlimited ammounts of tabasco except that it comes out of aerosol can in an atomized but very high pressure blast."

Edited by Elend Venture

7 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

“What did you say? I can’t read, it seems...”

"Shshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshsshshshshshshshshshshsh! Shshshshshshshshshshshshsh."

("Ah, miniscule being, your bane, why, your bane is to not be able to read! Of course you can't understand me.") 

Why do I even bother writing this if he sees it as Shshshshshshsh? Thought the Nightwatcher.

Edited by Elend Venture

4 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

"Shshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshsshshshshshshshshshshsh! Shshshshshshshshshshshshsh."

("Ah, miniscule being, your bane, why, your bane is to not be able to read! Of course you can't understand me.") 

Why do I even bother writing this if he sees it as Shshshshshshsh? Thought the Nightwatcher.

“Well geez,” Truthless, who was now the Nightwatcher, said, “I’d love to grant whatever your wish is, but I can’t read... it’s a real shame. I might not ever be able to grant your wish!”

On 10/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Elend Venture said:

"Granted, little human. You are now incapable of remembering how to read. Every word will look like Shshshshsh."

"I wish for unlimited ammounts of tabasco except that it comes out of aerosol can in a atomized but very bigh pressure blast."

Granted, your curse is that it is too tight for you to open its cover, much less press it to get to that deliciously hot Tabasco sauce.

I wish to become the holder of a Shard of Adonalsium!

Edited by Honorless