Best system to pair with Awakening?

Tamriel Wolfsbaine

Which other system would you pair with awakening?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which other system would you pair with Awakening?

• Feruchemist
    • Allomancer
    • Twinborn (which metals?)
    • Radiant (which order?)
    • Aetherbound (which aether?)
    • Elantrian
    • Forger
    • Hemalurgist (what spikes including inquisitor?)
    • Kandra

28 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

If you could take an influx of breath and put it onto another being in the cosmere what other system would you choose and why?  

Forgery: more invested beings are better at effecting others and themselves. This would make everything about it so much easier.

48 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

If you could take an influx of breath and put it onto another being in the cosmere what other system would you choose and why?  

A Full Feruchemist I'd say, as they could store excess health in a Goldmind and could potentially (it's a big if right now, as we don't know for sure how it would work) store Breaths in a Nicrosilmind temporarily to increase their Breath total when tapped in order to gain some extra benefits of the Heightenings and maybe even Awaken with them.

I said Radiant. I'm thinking either a Willshaper or a Stoneward, because of their access to the surge of Cohesion. Stonewards might work well with Tension, as well. Being able to stiffen objects and Awaken them in a way you desire seems to be a fun combination. I don't think we know evaluating how each Surge works yet, but here's to hoping we will soon! 

15 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

A Full Feruchemist I'd say, as they could store excess health in a Goldmind and could potentially (it's a big if right now, as we don't know for sure how it would work) store Breaths in a Nicrosilmind temporarily to increase their Breath total when tapped in order to gain some extra benefits of the Heightenings and maybe even Awaken with them.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That doesn't feel right. Heightening maybe, awakening no.

3 hours ago, Ookla the . said:

kandra just look at the 101 Kandra Tricks  thread.

You know I am shocked that @Trusk'ourdidn't jump at this chance either.  

I have had my thoughts torn between the kandra and the Feruchemist as well. 

I love the idea of feruchemy combining and using 2 end neutral systems to make some really neat scenes. It would be the ultimate survivalist build in my opinion.

If the cosmere held a season of ALONE I would totally pray for the feruchemist / awakener lineup. 

Awakening slings as long range hunting implements / security against the dangerous predators. Being able to awaken ropes to start friction fires or blankets to rub together causing friction for warm that could be stored up.  Spending the days storing health and speed / strength for when it is needed.  You would be the ultimate survivor.  Faster, stronger, sharper when needed.  And all those times that those poor people spend doing nothing... you could be refilling your stores.  If you balance your hunting via steel and awakened weapons and using tin to track animals you could be a reliable hunter... combine that with being able to eat any game you do catch and store it all away in a scentless and spoil proof bendalloy mind.  

You could store breath and heat for deep diving for fishing and a higher heightening could make you more resilient to food poisoning while gold would top off your health anytime you actually did get sick... or injured.  And your risk of injury would be way lower because you would have access to iron making you lighter anytime you do go out.  Lighter and stronger would cause you to be far less likely to get injured on the trail.  

Back to hunting... store fortune for days or even weeks while bunkered down in awakened shelter feeding off of your stored bendalloy minds and when you get low step outside and tap fortune to find game quickly. 

I could go on.  

As for Kandra... the 101 tricks is so convincing that I ended up voting for it initially but then I went on this survival tirade and after binging a season of Alone I am rethinking it heavily. 

The awakened truebody rope skeleton sounded so epic and I totally loved it, however I was thinking about the benefits of being able to separate smaller bones to allow things to pass straight through you.  A rope skeleton would get in the way of that.  Maybe there are other perks and ways around that.  I am not too sure.  The feruchemist ideas are just too strong. 

1 minute ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

You know I am shocked that @Trusk'ourdidn't jump at this chance either.  

Eh, Kandra have so much potential going for them already that adding Breaths would mostly be a waste. At least, it wouldn't be a world changer for them in most ways (Awakened rope bones might change my mind at some point, but right now on their own I just don't see it as that big of an advantage compared to what they'd normally have).

A Feruchemist with nicrosil could possibly hack the system in a completely different way, making them far better equipped to use the system than a Kandra in my opinion.

Elantrian. AonDor is the most versatile invested art, it can do basically everything and replicate every other invested art if needed (including manipulation of Connections and spirit webs). And you can make switchable Aons that Awakened objects can activate when Commanded. So just imagine Awakened rope, covered in Aonic Lightweaving to be camouflaged into the surrounding, silenced with Aon Ate, jumping on your target and catching it, activating Aon Ehe or Aon Daa to blast them into oblivion. An Awakened cloak with Command to protect you, but instead of catching arrows, it activates Aon Edo, which creates a force field that stops every strike on you. You got wounded? Awakened objects that is Commanded to activate Aon Ien to heal you if you get wounded. Not to mention teleportation with Aon Tia - instead of trying to close in on your opponent, you just teleport a rope right above him to catch him immediately. You can make Awakened turrets that will point towards your enemy so that Aon Ehe or Aon Daa can fire at them. Basically you can be an Elantrian who doesn't need to draw Aons because you have Awakened objects doing it for you. 

We could double down on engineering and go with Elsecaller or Lightweaver. There could be some complications, but being able to use Soulcasting to actively create the objects that you are Awakening is pretty significant. A few essences could really support Awakening as well:

• Blood and all non-oil liquids: ichor alcohol maybe? Dyes for Awakening?
  • Wood, plants, moss: For general awakening application
  • Metal/rock/stone: Apparently dead bodies Soulcast into stone can more readily be converted into something akin to Kalad's Phantoms. Well worth the Stormlight cost to significantly increase the effectiveness of your Lifeless. Alternately Soulcast equipment for your Lifeless or add blades to the ends of your Awakened ropes.

And there's the fact that Soulcasting already is the backbone of Alethi warfare between building construction, food supply, waste management, etc. Add in being able to resurrect fallen soldiers as Lifeless, create Kalad's Phantoms, create equipment enhanced with Awakening (smart grappling hooks?), etc.. Add in that Soulcasters already have to have strong visualization and an in-depth understanding of what they are creating and they should readily adapt to the more complicated aspects of Awakening. Who knows, maybe being able to converse with the soul of an object would assist in giving or breaking Commands.

There's pros and cons between Elsecallers and Lightweavers. Elsecallers are generally better at Soulcasting and attract the scholarly, which would play well into engineering. However the eidetic memory of a Lightweaver may be very useful for the visualization of Commands and Lightweaving could disguise their Phantoms dispersed throughout the regular army and occasionally you'll have an enemy soldier swing a sword at a solid metal fighter. That's pretty handy.

It's a tossup between kandra and elantrian for me. Aon-dor is a really versatile art, as well as extremely powerful as long as you have some dor with you. Having awakened objects would only make this more powerful, allowing for both powerful ranged attacks and enough defense, disruption, and mobility to hold ones own in close quarters. (also maybe they could mess with connection and stuff like that on the dor to get more breaths? I'm not certain but that sounds possible.) On the other hand, Kandra are extremely powerful fighters, capable of surviving nearly anything thrown at them, with plenty of tricks up their sleeves. I went with elantrian because they be cool :P

16 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Eh, Kandra have so much potential going for them already that adding Breaths would mostly be a waste. At least, it wouldn't be a world changer for them in most ways (Awakened rope bones might change my mind at some point, but right now on their own I just don't see it as that big of an advantage compared to what they'd normally have).

A Feruchemist with nicrosil could possibly hack the system in a completely different way, making them far better equipped to use the system than a Kandra in my opinion.

the only reason I would consider a feruchemist over a kandra is that they might be able to boost their stores by just straight up putting a breath inside their metalminds by storing it into them in the form of whatever attribute you're wanting to put in.

2 hours ago, Ookla the . said:

the only reason I would consider a feruchemist over a kandra is that they might be able to boost their stores by just straight up putting a breath inside their metalminds by storing it into them in the form of whatever attribute you're wanting to put in.

I definately feel like this is a valid reason.  TLM made it quite clear that investiture sources can be used across boundaries.  

Breaths are so much investiture as well.  I am sure that a single breath would supplement the metals well. Use it more to boost what you are already drawing out as it would likely be lost forever...  

I am curious if the reverse would be possible.  We don't know enough about nicrosil to say either way but if it is storing investiture as a general thing then perhaps that can be used to boost everything as well.... including awakening with it?  

We know that stormlight could be used to awaken.  Why not some other hacked source?  Feruchemists have the metal as a sort of lock and key only allowing one thing or another. But if the feruchemist were to find a way to convert any attribute into usable investiture for their awakening purposes this could be pretty huge.  

13 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I definately feel like this is a valid reason.  TLM made it quite clear that investiture sources can be used across boundaries.  

Breaths are so much investiture as well.  I am sure that a single breath would supplement the metals well. Use it more to boost what you are already drawing out as it would likely be lost forever...  

I am curious if the reverse would be possible.  We don't know enough about nicrosil to say either way but if it is storing investiture as a general thing then perhaps that can be used to boost everything as well.... including awakening with it?  

We know that stormlight could be used to awaken.  Why not some other hacked source?  Feruchemists have the metal as a sort of lock and key only allowing one thing or another. But if the feruchemist were to find a way to convert any attribute into usable investiture for their awakening purposes this could be pretty huge.  

I would say you could probably use your metal Minds for awakening but it would take a lot of stores because breath is a lot of investiture compared to the amount of investiture you can get in a metalmind within any reasonable amount of time. so possible yes, plausible not so much.

I went with a Radiant. The order doesn't really matter for what I'm thinking, so I'd go with whatever I'm most likely to have (Truthwatcher or Willshaper).

No, where the real benefit comes, I think, would be the ability to Awaken a shield with the Command, 'Protect me', then fight with my Shardblade and Awakened shield, sort of like what Nightblood is, but less destructive. I mean, yeah, Nightblood is unusual, but he still (RoW spoilers)

Spoiler

nicked an Honorblade!

Tell me that isn't the perfect combo if you have a Blade and Plate! If

Spoiler

your enemy can't break your shield, 

you're in good shape. And yeah, it'd take a crap ton of Breaths to do it, but in my opinion, the result would be worth it. 

1 hour ago, Ookla the . said:

I would say you could probably use your metal Minds for awakening but it would take a lot of stores because breath is a lot of investiture compared to the amount of investiture you can get in a metalmind within any reasonable amount of time. so possible yes, plausible not so much.

I agree with that. That is the benefit of using 2 net neutral systems.  They should cancel eachother out in the long run. 

Breath can be used sparingly as a supercharge to whatever attribute you need more of in that moment...

And once you get down the hacking of the systems you can pseudo replace it by awakening with the feruchemical charges if needed. 

If 1 breath boosts you through healing from a heartshot past what you had stored then you would be able to store back that much over a long period of time and use it to awaken later on perhaps.  

We obviously don't know exactly how much could work. Depending on Vashers feeding habits on Roshar that single breath could do a ton of work from the feruchemical side... if over time you could replenish it in awakening with the hacked storage then it would still just break even.  

But being an awakener with a ton of breath could be a similar way of compounding via using endowment to supercharge the feruchemy.  

Though if this is possible as well then maybe being a compounder could allow you to hack direct transferring allomantic burning of attributes into awakening fuel as well perhaps?  

i chose furechemy, because not only could you potentialy take the energy from your metalminds and do commands with it, you could likely do the reverse, taking breaths and converting them into energy for any number of metalminds. furechemy is the most useful ability for day to day life right next to awakening, to have both would be a luxury too good for me to pass up.

I chose Bondsmith, it would probably allow for more complex commands due to the ability to manipulate spiritual connection. We really don't know a lot about Bondsmiths, but looking as what Ishar can do, I would wonder whether a skilled Bondsmith could Awaken with Stormlight. I also think that there may be a resonance where, the more breaths one has, they not only become better at awakening but Bondsmithing as well.

• 2 weeks later...