Era 7: The Revival

Koloss17

33 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

Cheat? Does she think that Vinette was unfaithful? I’ll show her! Even at cards it’s still shameful for anybody to treat her like that!

Itsuki stands up. “What did you just say to me?” he asks Asylum, his voice dangerous and threatening.

@Ookla the Prehistoric @Ookla the Believer

Asylum looked up from their drink. Oh, they thought, Maybe I’ve drunk a little too much.

setting down their drink, Asylum stood. “I may have misspoke,” Asylum said, backing away. “I bet she was a wonderful French evil Jesus worshiper.” 

it’ll have to be a blue moon tonight to make up for this, They thought as they slowly approached the door.

Edited by Ookla of whimsy

6 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

Asylum looked up from their drink. Oh, they thought, Maybe I’ve drunk a little too much.

setting down their drink, Asylum stood. “I may have misspoke,” Asylum said, backing away. “I bet she was a wonderful French evil Jesus worshiper.” 

it’ll have to be a blue moon tonight to make up for this, They thought as they slowly approached the door.

What did they say? Frentch? Jeezis? Eevul? Oh shroud, that last one was a word.

“Vinette was NOT! EVIL!” Itsuki shouted after them. “If you call her that one more time….” His hands are clenched as he stares at Asylum.

15 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

2 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

“Vinette was NOT! EVIL!” Itsuki shouted after them. “If you call her that one more time….” His hands are clenched as he stares at Asylum.

Lei looks bemused at the two of them. Yep. Not trustworthy. Also... drunk. Lei's head hurts. Maybe that last cup of horneater white wasn't necessary... 

"Hey, you two. Break it up." He says. He stands up, then stumbles back into his chair. "No... fightinG..." Lei is out before his head hits the table.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

Lei looks bemused at the two of them. Yep. Not trustworthy. Also... drunk. Lei's head hurts. Maybe that last cup of horneater white wasn't necessary... 

"Hey, you two. Break it up." He says. He stands up, then stumbles back into his chair. "No... fightinG..." Lei is out before his head hits the table.

“Fighting…that’s a good idea.” In the back of his mind, Itsuki realizes that he’s drunk, but doesn’t care. Because who is this Asylum to insult Vinette?! Vinette….

Itsuki almost sits down at the thought of her. Love doesn’t need fighting. In fact, love is so much better than fighting. Love is all you need. And what would Vinette have wanted for me to do?

“Go beat them up!” says Itsuki’s drunken imagining of Vinette.

Oh yeah, she always loved fighting. I guess I have to listen to her, then.

Itsuki stands up. “Asylum? Come here.”

@Ookla of whimsy @Ookla the Believer

Arges, The Mistwarrens, Coppercloud inn

This is a made up side character, and will have no bearing on the plot of Era 7

Arges, recieving the man’s books, took the stack, carefully trying to hide his glee. Though the scrawny fellow had trouble carrying them, with a bit of pewter, Arges lifted the pile with ease.

With that out of the way, Arges sauntered over to an open table. Ignoring the quiet, but still audible, snickers from the rest of the crew, he began to browse his goods.

The books he acquired were vintage; from Rapiers of the Cosmere to The Extensive and Certainly Comprehensible History of Crystalian Blades.

However, the crown jewel of his antique blacksmithing collection was…

It was……

Arges stood up. Where did that delivery man go? Quickly glaring at everyone around to back off from the merchandise, he dashed out the door.

”Wait! I’m missing a book!”

@Ookla of Ravens

Edited by Ookla the Windwhisperer

12 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

This is getting a little out of hand, Asylum thought as they gabbed the door handle. “Just to clarify I didn’t say she is evil, I said her god is evil.”

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

Asylum watched the man concuss himself and then promptly knocked on the door frame and left.

Well that went well, they thought sarcastically. Taking out of their pocket a single penny, or whatever the natives called it, they started flipping. Heads, Heads, Tails. Not bad. I’ll take it.

@Ookla the Believer

@Lunamor

3 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

This is getting a little out of hand, Asylum thought as they gabbed the door handle. “Just to clarify I didn’t say she is evil, I said her god is evil.”

Asylum watched the man concuss himself and then promptly knocked on the door frame and left.

Well that went well, they thought sarcastically. Taking out of their pocket a single penny, or whatever the natives called it, they started flipping. Heads, Heads, Tails. Not bad. I’ll take it.

@Ookla the Believer

@Lunamor

“Oh. Okay.” Itsuki sits back down, satisfied until he finds that he missed the chair completely and lands on the ground. “Hey!” he says. “Who moved my chair that’s drilled into the ground?!”

Eza wandered through the streets of the Mistwarrens, eyes intently scanning her surroundings. She was looking for bad things and good things. The bad things didn’t seem to be following her. Of course, they were hard to spot. The strangers wouldn’t have been able to keep up with her all of these years if they were that incompetent.

She pulled her hood up further just in case. Her rusting scar made being inconspicuous difficult at times. But she wasn’t as out of place here than anywhere else she had been before. People here were weird. Looked and acted strange. Those people with the long eyebrows, they were super weird. What were they called, the Thylan?

She wasn’t having much luck finding good things, either. The Mistwarrens wasn’t the richest of areas. Hardly anyone had anything good, and those that did seemed to need it more than Eza did. Reluctantly, she downed a bottle with little flakes of a dull grey metal. Then, she burned that iron now in her stomach.

Blue lines shot out from her, a jumbled mess stretching every which way. Some moved, following the people on the street. Others were stationary, metal fixtures on buildings drawing thick lines. She spotted a cluster of many thin lines.

There.

The cluster led to an outdoor merchant’s shop. There were tables bearing jewelry piled in heaps, most of which looked beautiful from afar but was cheap and of poor quality upon closer inspection. Bits and pieces were missing from each item, most scuffed and chipped. What drew Eza’s attention was a brooch resting on a table near the center. It was covered in gaudy rhinestone crystals, not a single surface on its top left uncovered. Most would consider it garish. Even in the flickering lantern light, it cast little rainbows on the walls. She could never wear something so flashy lest she be spotted.

It was perfect.

Eza silently crept forwards and stood near the shop, facing away from it. She held her hand behind her back and tugged on the blue line connected to the brooch. She was careful to use just enough iron to avoid making noise, as Mother had taught her. It shot right into her hand, and she quickly pocketed it without turning around.

@Ookla of whimsy

25 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

“Oh. Okay.” Itsuki sits back down, satisfied until he finds that he missed the chair completely and lands on the ground. “Hey!” he says. “Who moved my chair that’s drilled into the ground?!”

Lei groans. “Me… it was annoying…” he plops back down, out again. 

1 hour ago, Lunamor said:

Eza wandered through the streets of the Mistwarrens, eyes intently scanning her surroundings. She was looking for bad things and good things. The bad things didn’t seem to be following her. Of course, they were hard to spot. The strangers wouldn’t have been able to keep up with her all of these years if they were that incompetent.

She pulled her hood up further just in case. Her rusting scar made being inconspicuous difficult at times. But she wasn’t as out of place here than anywhere else she had been before. People here were weird. Looked and acted strange. Those people with the long eyebrows, they were super weird. What were they called, the Thylan?

She wasn’t having much luck finding good things, either. The Mistwarrens wasn’t the richest of areas. Hardly anyone had anything good, and those that did seemed to need it more than Eza did. Reluctantly, she downed a bottle with little flakes of a dull grey metal. Then, she burned that iron now in her stomach.

Blue lines shot out from her, a jumbled mess stretching every which way. Some moved, following the people on the street. Others were stationary, metal fixtures on buildings drawing thick lines. She spotted a cluster of many thin lines.

There.

The cluster led to an outdoor merchant’s shop. There were tables bearing jewelry piled in heaps, most of which looked beautiful from afar but was cheap and of poor quality upon closer inspection. Bits and pieces were missing from each item, most scuffed and chipped. What drew Eza’s attention was a brooch resting on a table near the center. It was covered in gaudy rhinestone crystals, not a single surface on its top left uncovered. Most would consider it garish. Even in the flickering lantern light, it cast little rainbows on the walls. She could never wear something so flashy lest she be spotted.

It was perfect.

Eza silently crept forwards and stood near the shop, facing away from it. She held her hand behind her back and tugged on the blue line connected to the brooch. She was careful to use just enough iron to avoid making noise, as Mother had taught her. It shot right into her hand, and she quickly pocketed it without turning around.

@Ookla of whimsy

After wandering for a bit, Asylum came across a jewelry store. It was pretty outdated but the jewelry was gorgeous. 

I could use a new pocket watch, they thought as a bejeweled brooch shot out from the display. quickly turning they spotted a small girl pocketing it and disappearing into the crowd.

I could use some luck about now, Asylum thought. For some reason they felt that that girl was important, And summoning what little luck they have gathered they closed their eyes, crossed their fingers, and threw their coin directly into the sky. 

Bring her to me.

25 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

After wandering for a bit, Asylum came across a jewelry store. It was pretty outdated but the jewelry was gorgeous. 

I could use a new pocket watch, they thought as a bejeweled brooch shot out from the display. quickly turning they spotted a small girl pocketing it and disappearing into the crowd. 

I could use some luck about now, Asylum thought, And summoning what little luck they have gathered they closed their eyes a threw their coin directly into the sky.

Something flashed in the corner of Eza’s eye. A coin was soaring through the air. She instantly focused on it, eyes widening. Another shiny, so quickly?

She dashed underneath it. The timing had to be perfect, lest she accidentally hit a passerby with it. Waiting for just the right moment, she burned her iron and pulled it into her hand.

Gleefully, Eza held up the coin, admiring how the light reflected off of it. She spotted someone right behind it. Had they thrown the coin? Somehow, she felt that they had.

Maybe they had more pretty things. They were just throwing them up in the air, after all. Cautiously, Eza approached them.

”Why’d you throw that?”

Immediately, she cringed. Why had she said that? This person was dressed well. She shouldn’t be talking to them. She shouldn’t be talking to anyone.

Hope I interpreted Asylum’s luck correctly!

Edited by Lunamor
Deleted an unnecessary tag

23 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Something flashed in the corner of Eza’s eye. A coin was soaring through the air. She instantly focused on it, eyes widening. Another shiny, so quickly?

She dashed underneath it. The timing had to be perfect, lest she accidentally hit a passerby with it. Waiting for just the right moment, she burned her iron and pulled it into her hand.

Gleefully, Eza held up the coin, admiring how the light reflected off of it. She spotted someone right behind it. Had they thrown the coin? Somehow, she felt that they had.

Maybe they had more pretty things. They were just throwing them up in the air, after all. Cautiously, Eza approached them.

”Why’d you throw that?”

Immediately, she cringed. Why had she said that? This person was dressed well. She shouldn’t be talking to them. She shouldn’t be talking to anyone.

Asylum turn towards the girl. It worked! I should’ve never doubted, they thought trying to control their excitement.

They crouched down to meet the girl’s eyes. “well hello there,” they said, with a smile. “I saw you liked shiny things and I wanted to add to your collection.” They gestured towards the hidden brooch. 

“I think we can help each other.”

1 minute ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

Asylum turn towards the girl. It worked! I should’ve never doubted, they thought trying to control their excitement.

They crouched down to meet the girl’s eyes. “well hello there,” they said, with a smile. “I saw you liked shiny things and I wanted to add to your collection.” They gestured towards the hidden brooch. 

“I think we can help each other.”

Eza’s eyes darted around the crowd. Had anyone else seen her steal the brooch? She’d been sloppy. She should have been more careful. But no one was glancing her direction, so she was probably safe for now.

She looked back to the stranger. They were being nice to her. That was weird. But if they’d been one of the bad people, she’d be dead already. And they were offering shiny things…

She hesitantly pushed back her hood so she could read their face better.

“Help how?”

25 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Eza’s eyes darted around the crowd. Had anyone else seen her steal the brooch? She’d been sloppy. She should have been more careful. But no one was glancing her direction, so she was probably safe for now.

She looked back to the stranger. They were being nice to her. That was weird. But if they’d been one of the bad people, she’d be dead already. And they were offering shiny things…

She hesitantly pushed back her hood so she could read their face better.

“Help how?”

Asylum stood. “simple, you seem to have a talent for acquiring expensive things, And I have a talent for making one expensive thing into two. Supply me with half of today’s spoils and I’ll double it by tomorrow.”

”also,” Asylum said. “Take this.” They presented a small clover with four leaves. “It should make your job easier.”

they started walking away then stopped, “meet me at Coppercloud inn by sundown.”

why there? They asked themself as they began to walk again, but they had learned long ago to trust their gut. Hopefully they could find some people there who new how to play cards.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

Lei groans. “Me… it was annoying…” he plops back down, out again. 

“I should be getting to bed. See you in the mourning.” Itsuki drunkenly makes his way down the street until he reaches his flat and immediately falls asleep. His dreams are filled with images of Asylum murdering Vinette.

8 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

Asylum stood. “simple, you seem to have a talent for acquiring expensive things, And I have a talent for making one expensive thing into two. Supply me with half of today’s spoils and I’ll double it by tomorrow.”

”also,” Asylum said. “Take this.” They presented a small clover with four leaves. “It should make your job easier.”

they started walking away then stopped, “meet me at Coppercloud inn by sundown.”

why there? They asked themself as they began to walk again, but they had learned long ago to trust their gut. Hopefully they could find some people there who new how to play cards.

Eza stashed the clover, wondering how it could help, and watched them leave. Then she grinned.

She darted through the crowd and headed to Mistkeep. There were a bunch of rich people there who had a bunch of things they didn't really need. It was risky over there; the guards had a bigger presence to prevent people like her from skulking around. But they had the best stuff, and she was supposed to get a lot of it.

Walking through Mistkeep, Eza intently stared at those around her. She wanted to conserve her iron and would need to rely on her sight to spot shiny things. A woman passed by, and Eza noticed that she was wearing a bracelet and rings. She stalked her for a while and tried to stay ahead of her in the crowd. Finally, the woman raised her hand to brush away a lock of hair. While her arm was outstretched, Eza pulled off her bracelet then rings in quick succession and started to bolt.

She heard the woman gasp, and risked a glance behind her to see if she had noticed. But the woman's purse had fallen, spilling its contents all over. She was distracted and hadn't realized that her jewelry was gone. Eza took the opportunity to pull a bag of coin from the mess and silently left.

Huh. That was pretty lucky.

She took out the clover and smiled.

Several hours later, Eza approached the Coppercloud Inn. She paused briefly at the door. She wasn't used to going inside places like that. But that lucky person had promised they'd give her shiny things. Eza stepped inside, and looked around for her new friend.

Asylum, the Mistwarrens, Coppercloud inn

Asylum walked into Coppercloud inn to find their new money finder waiting in the lobby.

”good to see you’re settling in. I’ll get us a room.” They walked up to the desk clerk. “Could I have a room for two? It for me and my daughter.” They gestured toward the girl behind them. Then leaning in. “I know we don’t look too alike, but she looks more like her mother.”

the clerk stared and then smiled, “of course sir, or um, ma’am? Would you be interested in the more luxurious of our rooms?”

that smile, how could one say no to that smile. “Of course, I think that would be splendid.” They were given their room card and gave the clerk a tip before leading the little thief to their room.

@Lunamor @Ookla of Ravens @Ookla the Windwhisperer

Perses, The Mistwarrens, Coppercloud Inn. 

Perses idly continued his probing of the Inn. People came and went, and as the day turned to night, a new influx of people began to arrive. No one of particular concern, however. There was a seeker and a pewterarm conversing in the lobby a few hours ago, though their current whereabouts were of little concern to Perses. As he probed, storing most of his other senses, he felt an odd wave of energy go over him. 

Searching for the source of the influx of investiture, Perses found a newcomer sweet talking the desk clerk, with the now familiar burn of a lurcher following in toe. However, given the soother’s charm, it seemed to him that the traveler was the one getting swindled. They had a distinctive faint aura to them, with some powerful mass emanating from their body. 

“How in the—“ Perses said out loud. He rarely expects Asylum Smedry’s arrival at any point, but the rascal seems to always make an appearance at the least likely times. What are they doing here?

@Ookla of whimsy

Edited by Ookla the Windwhisperer

Chefson Corbeau, Mistkeep, Alleycity Police Department Mistkeep branch

Chefson Corbeau was many things. They were a politician. Mathematician. Philosopher. Monk. But Chefson Corbeau was not going to let warehouses get destroyed while he was in the same city!

Only his second day here, but he was going to do some good this evening.

“Officer?” he asked. “I’m asking about the warehouse that was destroyed, Pewter Ironworks. Have you made any progress in finding the culprit?”

“Erm, no sir, we’re working on it. Details are confidential,” the nervous receptionist said, sipping tea.

“Confidential, eh? Well, my good sir, I think that you officers of the law have made no progress whatsoever in finding this wrongdoer. And yes, I am aware that the warehouse destroyed was in the Mistwarrens, little more than a bidonville compared to this affluent part of town. But it is still a part of this conurbation that we live in, and the police here cannot allow such things to go unchecked. I will do the work myself—even though it should be the government’s responsibility to us—but remember that when your organization failed to deliver, I was the one who put the work into finding this criminal and bringing justice to our society. Remember that.”

Corbeau swiftly left the building, and went to the warehouse. It was a horrible thing that they allowed these criminals to go unchecked. Still, if it made the public more trusting of him…

He’d take it.

15 hours ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Arges, The Mistwarrens, Coppercloud inn

Arges, recieving the man’s books, took the stack, carefully trying to hide his glee. Though the scrawny fellow had trouble carrying them, with a bit of pewter, Arges lifted the pile with ease.

With that out of the way, Arges sauntered over to an open table. Ignoring the quiet, but still audible, snickers from the rest of the crew, he began to browse his goods.

The books he acquired were vintage; from Rapiers of the Cosmere to The Extensive and Certainly Comprehensible History of Crystalian Blades.

However, the crown jewel of his antique blacksmithing collection was…

It was……

Arges stood up. Where did that delivery man go? Quickly glaring at everyone around to back off from the merchandise, he dashed out the door.

”Wait! I’m missing a book!”

@Ookla of Ravens

sonyr turns. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHAT ARE YOU MISSING?"

@Ookla the Windwhisperer

Edited by Ookla of Ravens

On 12/6/2023 at 6:44 PM, Ookla of whimsy said:

Asylum, the Mistwarrens, Coppercloud inn

Asylum walked into Coppercloud inn to find their new money finder waiting in the lobby.

”good to see you’re settling in. I’ll get us a room.” They walked up to the desk clerk. “Could I have a room for two? It for me and my daughter.” They gestured toward the girl behind them. Then leaning in. “I know we don’t look too alike, but she looks more like her mother.”

the clerk stared and then smiled, “of course sir, or um, ma’am? Would you be interested in the more luxurious of our rooms?”

that smile, how could one say no to that smile. “Of course, I think that would be splendid.” They were given their room card and gave the clerk a tip before leading the little thief to their room.

@Lunamor @Ookla of Ravens @Ookla the Windwhisperer

Eza followed the lucky person into their room. Peeking outside to make sure no one was watching them, she then ran over to the table to proudly dump out one of her bags. An assortment of bracelets, necklaces, rings, and other bits of jewelry spilled out. Some were just little worthless trinkets, but there were more than enough valuable items to make up for it. There were also a few coin purses. Normally she didn’t steal those, but she was supposed to get stuff worth lots of money.

”Your clover was really lucky! There was this lady who dropped her purse, which was pretty funny, and a man who kept sneezing, and this really angry cat, and…”

Eza rattled on for a while, excited to finally be able to talk to someone about her thievery.

”What’s your name? I’m Eza.”

Edited by Lunamor

Eza followed the lucky man into their room. Peeking outside to make sure no one was watching them, she then ran over to the table to proudly dump out one of her bags. An assortment of bracelets, necklaces, rings, and other bits of jewelry spilled out. Some were just little worthless trinkets, but there were more than enough valuable items to make up for it. There were also a few coin purses. Normally she didn’t steal those, but she was supposed to get stuff worth lots of money.

”Your clover was really lucky! There was this lady who dropped her purse, which was pretty funny, and a man who kept sneezing, and this really angry cat, and…”

Wow, Asylum thought, mesmerized by the sheer amount of jewelry and, wait was she talking?

”What’s your name? I’m Eza.”

“Ah well what a pleasure to meet you Eza,” Asylum said, give the girl a firm handshake. “My name is Asylum Smedry.” They thought for a moment, is that too complicated? I wouldn’t want her calling me asslum smelly. “You can call me Lum.”

stand upright and walking over to the table they started to sort the loot. “First rule of successful theft: Make sure it can’t be traced.” They picked up a necklace with the name “Alice” inscribed and put it in one pile which was then pushed towards Eza. “Keep these separate. I know some people who can alter them with no questions asked.” They thought for a moment, “well except the question ‘where’s my money?’” They laughed and continued to sort.

11 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

Wow, Asylum thought, mesmerized by the sheer amount of jewelry and, wait was she talking?

“Ah well what a pleasure to meet you Eza,” Asylum said, give the girl a firm handshake. “My name is Asylum Smedry.” They thought for a moment, is that too complicated? I wouldn’t want her calling me asslum smelly. “You can call me Lum.”

stand upright and walking over to the table they started to sort the loot. “First rule of successful theft: Make sure it can’t be traced.” They picked up a necklace with the name “Alice” inscribed and put it in one pile which was then pushed towards Eza. “Keep these separate. I know some people who can alter them with no questions asked.” They thought for a moment, “well except the question ‘where’s my money?’” They laughed and continued to sort.

Eza made sure to snatch a particularly pretty necklace made of glass beads and added it to her pile. Then, she picked up the necklace Lum had pushed towards her. Holding it up, she gazed at the silver metal and small gemstones embedded within. It had some sort of writing inscribed.

“What’s this one say on it?”

8 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Eza made sure to snatch a particularly pretty necklace made of glass beads and added it to her pile. Then, she picked up the necklace Lum had pushed towards her. Holding it up, she gazed at the silver metal and small gemstones embedded within. It had some sort of writing inscribed.

“What’s this one say on it?”

Asylum stoped sorting. Of course, they thought, putting their head in their hands, she can’t read. that’s going to make this difficult.

they regained their composure and said calmly, “that doesn’t matter but if it has an inscription, picture, or rare material you have to be much more careful when selling or…” they paused. “…Investing it” 

So if I gamble starting with the coins and move up to the jewels I could make enough to pay off those debts… they zoned out as they thought over the logistics.

finally they stopped and packed up the jewelry. “Come on Eza! Time to show you how I steal!”

——————————————————

Asylum returned back to the room with Eza after about a couple hours of gambling. “Now that was fun!”

they sat down in a chair. “Remember, lose a few rounds then bring out your ‘family heirloom’ and then BOOM, Money!” 

After thinking for a moment they grabbed a handful of the new loot and put it on the table. “Just take what catches your eye, I’ll get us some food.”