Mistborn Fast Travel

Trusk'our

Let's say we either have a Mistborn or a Hemalurgist with A-steel, A-pewter, A-duralumin, and A-Bendalloy. They make a duralumin augmented Steeljump and rocket a mile in one direction, allowing them to move very quickly. However, the fun doesn't stop there, as they then put up a Speedbubble with Bendalloy.

So here's the question; can a Metalborn flying with a duralumin-Steelpush move so fast that they can anchor a Speedbubble to themselves? We know that you don't even technically need to be a Savant to pull off this trick, you can theoretically do it with some training, presumably that alters your perception (I'm apparently terrible at finding WoBs, as I, again, can't find the exact one I'm looking for).

If they could do this, they could travel very, very quickly. They would still feel like they were traveling at the same speed, but compared to the outside world they would be moving very fast, so they could get to places they were needed much faster, such as if an ally were being attacked by enemies and called the Mistborn via phone.

Anyway, I just thought that this could be a cool little trick that a Mistborn or Hemalurgist could pull off and wanted to share it.

48 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

So here's the question; can a Metalborn flying with a duralumin-Steelpush move so fast that they can anchor a Speedbubble to themselves?

TB anchors are not about speed of movement, they are about perception and frame of reference (on a moving train, the Misting is stationary wrt the door he's next to and the hallway he is entering) - the Misting's "frame of reference" is "this place" - where this place just happens to be on a moving train. 

48 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

(I'm apparently terrible at finding WoBs, as I, again, can't find the exact one I'm looking for).

Is it one of these? Have you practiced? Here are some tips and tricks that may help:

Spoiler

Using Coppermind and Arcanum:

• Go to the Coppermind, you can search a term in the upper right. On the top-right of the page (below the search bar) you will see a circle icon that denotes how "complete" the information is (e.g. solid green means it has all known information, split white/blck means unanswered questions, etc.)
    • Like any wiki, links to other pages appear the first time they are referenced
    • While reading you will find notes ([1]) that take you to the references at the bottom of the page. From there, if the reference is a WoB the link will redirect you to the Arcanum post.
    • One useful technique (at least on PC) is to click the [1] note to go to the references section, open the reference link in a new tab, then use the browser back button to immediately return to where you were reading.
    • If you use the navigation "contents," the url will change as well, making it easy to copy and share a link to a specific part of a page, rather than the page itself.
  • On the Arcanum, you can read all of the WoBs from a specific event by clicking: Discover > Events, then select an event.
  • When looking at a Word of Brandon (WoB - or Peter/Isaac) in the Arcanum, you can:
    • Click on the event name to read all WoBs from that event
    • Click on a tag at the bottom to make a search of all entries with that tag - such as #Time Bubbles
    • The top right of the WoB has a "Copy" button, to easily copy the WoB contents to add to a forum post spoiler tag (please use soiler tags to keep posts visually short and let new people avoid spoilers if they desire)
  • Also, on the Arcanum, you can search for keywords using the search bar in the upper left
  • In any keyword or tag search the default view will be "accuracy"
    • Refine searches with Boolean (+/& for "and" to combine terms - e. g. Anchor+Moving )
      • Note this method is unfiltered and will return more results than the tag and keyword search above
      • But they can be combined, by filtering a keyword and using a boolean search inside that tag.
    • You can be set that to "Oldest First" (avoiding spoilers) or "Newest first" (for recent additions) using the drop-down box
  • For the Arcanum, learn more at Help and Navigation

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

47 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Let's say we either have a Mistborn or a Hemalurgist with A-steel, A-pewter, A-duralumin, and A-Bendalloy. They make a duralumin augmented Steeljump and rocket a mile in one direction, allowing them to move very quickly. However, the fun doesn't stop there, as they then put up a Speedbubble with Bendalloy.

So here's the question; can a Metalborn flying with a duralumin-Steelpush move so fast that they can anchor a Speedbubble to themselves? We know that you don't even technically need to be a Savant to pull off this trick, you can theoretically do it with some training, presumably that alters your perception (I'm apparently terrible at finding WoBs, as I, again, can't find the exact one I'm looking for).

If they could do this, they could travel very, very quickly. They would still feel like they were traveling at the same speed, but compared to the outside world they would be moving very fast, so they could get to places they were needed much faster, such as if an ally were being attacked by enemies and called the Mistborn via phone.

Anyway, I just thought that this could be a cool little trick that a Mistborn or Hemalurgist could pull off and wanted to share it.

When, and if, this becomes a thing wouldn't they be able to travel faster than sound?  Wayne slowed down time enough to allow Wax to react to an explosion... 

Also... allomantic grenades allow for time bubbles to pup up where they are. Could you simply activate one and carry it on your person to create a moveable bubble as well?  

5 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

So here's the question; can a Metalborn flying with a duralumin-Steelpush move so fast that they can anchor a Speedbubble to themselves?

No, it's time bubbles are anchored to mass not speed.

We know that you don't even technically need to be a Savant to pull off this trick, you can theoretically do it with some training, presumably that alters your perception (I'm apparently terrible at finding WoBs, as I, again, can't find the exact one I'm looking for).

Some training? You have to be on your way to become a Savant, or be a Savant to do that. It's more about the familiarity with the power, not identity, Wayne wasn't able to do that, so you would need to be better than him. You're asking for too much.

Spoiler

Questioner

So my quick question: Can you use Identity (I love the speed bubbles!) to anchor speed bubbles to yourself?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, this is possible. That's less a matter of Identity. What’s gonna happen there, like, the more someone uses the powers, the more familiar and intermingled with their soul the powers become, and they are able to accomplish things that others can't. This would be like a Mistborn learning to hover a coin, right, which they can do, but most think you can't. That's the sort of level we're going with.

Necarion

So a savant could?

Brandon Sanderson

A savant could totally do that. The problem is, things moving in and out of a speed bubble, there's a transference of energy. This is how we keep speed bubbles from irradiating people when light moves through them, right, red shift. And so there's a transfer of energy directly from the Spiritual Realm, which means that moving with a speed bubble, you're gonna run into that, and it's gonna be, it's gonna cause all kinds of problems, but it would be possible.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

Careful yes from me. But you need to land and for that you need to drop your bubble in the air so you can start steel pushing to reduce your speed.

4 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Also... allomantic grenades allow for time bubbles to pup up where they are. Could you simply activate one and carry it on your person to create a moveable bubble as well?  

Yes.

14 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Some training? You have to be on your way to become a Savant, or be a Savant to do that. It's more about the familiarity with the power, not identity, Wayne wasn't able to do that, so you would need to be better than him. You're asking for too much.

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

So my quick question: Can you use Identity (I love the speed bubbles!) to anchor speed bubbles to yourself?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, this is possible. That's less a matter of Identity. What’s gonna happen there, like, the more someone uses the powers, the more familiar and intermingled with their soul the powers become, and they are able to accomplish things that others can't. This would be like a Mistborn learning to hover a coin, right, which they can do, but most think you can't. That's the sort of level we're going with.

Necarion

So a savant could?

Brandon Sanderson

A savant could totally do that. The problem is, things moving in and out of a speed bubble, there's a transference of energy. This is how we keep speed bubbles from irradiating people when light moves through them, right, red shift. And so there's a transfer of energy directly from the Spiritual Realm, which means that moving with a speed bubble, you're gonna run into that, and it's gonna be, it's gonna cause all kinds of problems, but it would be possible.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

Careful yes from me. But you need to land and for that you need to drop your bubble in the air so you can start steel pushing to reduce your speed.

Yes.

I like that. Potential for an Feruchemical steel Allomantic bendalloy twinborn with a cube to pull bands of mourning levels of speed on the regular.  Given how much Wayne's bubble slowed down the explosion and how fast a steel runner could be we could have the flash without need of compounding.  

Although access to an allomantic grenade and bendalloy might be more expensive than compounding steel. 

What I like about this one is that the bullet time effect would be so much more superior to tapping steel alone. You wouldnt just be moving faster but you would completely bullet time the world around you as well. 

I wonder if friction and air resistance would be an issue here?  I know light and wind work differently in a speed bubble to protect the user. I imagine even tapping speed you would never be hindered more inside the bubble than you would tapping equal speed outside of it. Just a complete win win 

2 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I like that. Potential for an Feruchemical steel Allomantic bendalloy twinborn with a cube to pull bands of mourning levels of speed on the regular.  Given how much Wayne's bubble slowed down the explosion and how fast a steel runner could be we could have the flash without need of compounding.  

Although access to an allomantic grenade and bendalloy might be more expensive than compounding steel. 

What I like about this one is that the bullet time effect would be so much more superior to tapping steel alone. You wouldnt just be moving faster but you would completely bullet time the world around you as well. 

I wonder if friction and air resistance would be an issue here?  I know light and wind work differently in a speed bubble to protect the user. I imagine even tapping speed you would never be hindered more inside the bubble than you would tapping equal speed outside of it. Just a complete win win 

Well, A-Bendalloy doesn't allow one to function in combat as effectively as F-steel, as you can't aim a gun out of a Speedbubble and if you get too close to an opponent they get caught in your bubble too, causing them to match your speed. This is what prevents Allomantic speed from becoming as broken as Feruchemical speed.

14 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Well, A-Bendalloy doesn't allow one to function in combat as effectively as F-steel, as you can't aim a gun out of a Speedbubble and if you get too close to an opponent they get caught in your bubble too, causing them to match your speed. This is what prevents Allomantic speed from becoming as broken as Feruchemical speed.

But if you are cruising around with a portable bendalloy bubble and F steel, once your enemy is inside the bubble you are still capable of blitzing them and moving at blurring speed to their non speedster selves.  

Bendalloy slows down so much that a portable bubble via primer cube would likely make you a faster and better version of any steel runner.  

I don't know how one could calculate this but if bullets are moving slowmo outside of the bubble and you are capable of casually ducking for cover as they are flying toward you then I imagine someone running with a portable bubble could outrun bullets which is pushing Marasi with the bands levels of speed.  Add on even a very slight tapping of steel for that and you are moving even faster (I think Bendalloy is the only way Scadrial is going to approach FTL travel and this seems to be where that could come from... building aircraft that can travel stupidly fast and then amplify it with bendalloy). 

Furthermore there is some evidence that the bubbles can be smaller or larger depending on use... that is well within Wayne's skill level now.  I am not convinced you will have any fine control from the grenade though.  

I asked about melee weapons from speed bubbles here:

It seems that you could easily blitz attack someone from inside a bubble before they make it into the bubble as well so long as you are nearer the edge.  Again with the allomantic grenade I am not convinced this will be as effective because you may. Not have as fine control over it.  

If you want to get really bonkers here... 

Stack them!  Allomantic grenade charged with bendalloy set larger than yourself centered on yourself and speeding you up.  Then while you are inside of it you can burn your own bendalloy while not moving as much.  No matter which bubble you end up making bigger you have a huge advantage.  If the stationary bubble you are burning can be larger than the cube bubble you can be moving bendalloy speeds inside of your bubble. You wouldn't just be speeding yourself up but also your enemy.  All of their reinforcements are likely completely stationary to your perspective and they are moving at a snails pace to his as you blitz him. 

I would be interested to see if nicrosil and duralumin can make bubbles bigger from cubes. This could be helpful in FTL. Stacking multiple bubbles... plus maneuverability shouldn't be too terrible given that the kinetic energy is popping away to be normalized on either side of the bubbles. 

My curiosity is if we know that primer cubes can be activated and deactivated or if they must run their course of metal?  I feel like I remember Marasi being able to deactivate them as well?  

If that is the case then I am totally picturing a chronomancer with some Antman style gloves... instead of a button to shrink and grow they have primer cubes stop or speed up time. If the allomancer actually possesses the powers then it is even better because they could be playing with 4 bubbles at one time! 

20 hours ago, alder24 said:

Oh, I just had a stupid idea.

F-Iron (technically) enhances mass.

So, its not quite the theory that's at play that allows speed bubbles to function on moving trains, but maybe these kind of mental gymnastics are what allow Metalborn to do these sorts of incredible things?

Beyond that, this thread was an absolute treat to read, thank you guys for theorizing so extensively.

28 minutes ago, Longshot97 said:

Oh, I just had a stupid idea.

F-Iron (technically) enhances mass.

So, its not quite the theory that's at play that allows speed bubbles to function on moving trains, but maybe these kind of mental gymnastics are what allow Metalborn to do these sorts of incredible things?

I've searched for more WoBs and it seems that moving time bubbles attached only to you are a bigger headache than we think. It's not just about mass, but also about size, momentum and about objects that are cutting in and out of the bubble - too much of those and the bubble might pop. The cognitive perception of yours and other objects about "being still" plays a role here:

Spoiler

Kurkistan

Okay, so I'm contractually obligated to ask about time bubbles one more time.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Kurkistan

So what's up with frame of reference for time bubbles; in that obviously if you make a bubble and it's still it's not really still, like time moves differently but--

Brandon Sanderson

We deal with that a little bit in Era 2 Book 2 [Shadows of Self], where we talk about the fact that you know-- obviously the bubble is moving with the planet. So they're not-- the frame of reference is not absolute.

Kurkistan

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

And so we talk about sorta' the idea of mass and momentum and time bubbles and things like that.

Kurkistan

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

For instance you can make a time bubble on a train.

Kurkistan

Oh and it stays on the train?!

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but when you start catching stuff off of the train, it's gonna' jar each time, and it's probably going to ruin your time bubble, right?

Kurkistan

So does it get it's "anchor" from-- it's asking all the things that are within it what they think "still" is?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. That's a good way of looking at it. Frame of reference for the Cognitive things around. Make sense?

Kurkistan

Okay, the things around or the things within it, specifically?

Brandon Sanderson

The things that it's cutting into, specifically, but yeah.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

Spoiler

Questioner

Speed bubbles--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Ehhhh... these are the hardest ones.

Questioner

We've seen them work and move with trains, we've seen them not work with carriages: is there a size requirement, or is it how they view themselves?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a good question. So I build in this thing, right? I'm like "Oooh, speed bubbles! Speed bubbles are cool!" but the Delorean problem, right? You're like "I'm going to go back in time: to the middle of SPACE", because the planet is in the same position, right? This is stuff that science fiction writers have been having fun with since the silver age of science fiction. So I'm like "Alright, I need to deal with the Delorean problem". And so I'm like "Alright, we're going to have to say that frame of reference is a big part of it: so perception and frame of reference is a big part of it; and also size of the thing that you're on". So it would be possible to use kind of cosmere cognitive training to get that speed bubble moving with you-- And someone asked me a question about this on tour, I believe, so it would be in one of the reports-- Not this exact same thing, but "Could they learn to move their speed bubble with them?" And yes you can.

Questioner

So it is how the allomancer views it, not how the thing views itself?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a part of it. Partially how it view itself, *garbled* It's really also mass. Big thing-- The speed bubbles required all kinds of physics-gymnastics. I'm sorry physicists, but once you start playing with time the stuff you gotta do. It's just crazy stuff you gotta do.

Questioner

We actually sat down and worked out what the metric would have to do to have a speed bubble-- Yeah, it was gnarly.

Brandon Sanderson

...We did run the math on these things, and stuff like that. And Peter, y'know, he rais-- "Redshift" and stuff like this we talked about. And all kinds of fun stuff about speed bubbles that I then had to--

Bystander

Khriss asked about that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. So this is-- This one and manipulating weight... Those are the math ones. So these are the ones where-- They create the fun things to talk about, but they are where this is fantasy and not science fiction. Like a lot of these questions I could answer and you'd be like "Alright, if there were this alternate power source, we could buy this" but in this case we're like exception-list-of-asterisks to make it work. But they're too fun to not do, right? And I knew I was doing gravity on Stormlight, so I'm like "I gotta do weight separately".

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

It means that while it's possible to anchor a bubble to yourself, the more objects are going in and out of the bubble, the faster they are, the more likely they will mess up with your bubble because of their perception of stillness. Additionally, in combination with this WoB, it seems like a time bubble's barrier can absorb only a limited amount of energy, after which it would pop. Running with a time bubble could be impossible, because of the sheer number of objects going in and out of it - unless you can make it as small as your body, but for that you need years of practice with tons of bendalloy, which is one of the most expensive Allomantic metals.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

I've searched for more WoBs and it seems that moving time bubbles attached only to you are a bigger headache than we think. It's not just about mass, but also about size, momentum and about objects that are cutting in and out of the bubble - too much of those and the bubble might pop. The cognitive perception of yours and other objects about "being still" plays a role here:

Hide contents

Kurkistan

Okay, so I'm contractually obligated to ask about time bubbles one more time.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Kurkistan

So what's up with frame of reference for time bubbles; in that obviously if you make a bubble and it's still it's not really still, like time moves differently but--

Brandon Sanderson

We deal with that a little bit in Era 2 Book 2 [Shadows of Self], where we talk about the fact that you know-- obviously the bubble is moving with the planet. So they're not-- the frame of reference is not absolute.

Kurkistan

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

And so we talk about sorta' the idea of mass and momentum and time bubbles and things like that.

Kurkistan

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

For instance you can make a time bubble on a train.

Kurkistan

Oh and it stays on the train?!

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but when you start catching stuff off of the train, it's gonna' jar each time, and it's probably going to ruin your time bubble, right?

Kurkistan

So does it get it's "anchor" from-- it's asking all the things that are within it what they think "still" is?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. That's a good way of looking at it. Frame of reference for the Cognitive things around. Make sense?

Kurkistan

Okay, the things around or the things within it, specifically?

Brandon Sanderson

The things that it's cutting into, specifically, but yeah.

Hide contents

Questioner

Speed bubbles--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Ehhhh... these are the hardest ones.

Questioner

We've seen them work and move with trains, we've seen them not work with carriages: is there a size requirement, or is it how they view themselves?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a good question. So I build in this thing, right? I'm like "Oooh, speed bubbles! Speed bubbles are cool!" but the Delorean problem, right? You're like "I'm going to go back in time: to the middle of SPACE", because the planet is in the same position, right? This is stuff that science fiction writers have been having fun with since the silver age of science fiction. So I'm like "Alright, I need to deal with the Delorean problem". And so I'm like "Alright, we're going to have to say that frame of reference is a big part of it: so perception and frame of reference is a big part of it; and also size of the thing that you're on". So it would be possible to use kind of cosmere cognitive training to get that speed bubble moving with you-- And someone asked me a question about this on tour, I believe, so it would be in one of the reports-- Not this exact same thing, but "Could they learn to move their speed bubble with them?" And yes you can.

Questioner

So it is how the allomancer views it, not how the thing views itself?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a part of it. Partially how it view itself, *garbled* It's really also mass. Big thing-- The speed bubbles required all kinds of physics-gymnastics. I'm sorry physicists, but once you start playing with time the stuff you gotta do. It's just crazy stuff you gotta do.

Questioner

We actually sat down and worked out what the metric would have to do to have a speed bubble-- Yeah, it was gnarly.

Brandon Sanderson

...We did run the math on these things, and stuff like that. And Peter, y'know, he rais-- "Redshift" and stuff like this we talked about. And all kinds of fun stuff about speed bubbles that I then had to--

Bystander

Khriss asked about that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. So this is-- This one and manipulating weight... Those are the math ones. So these are the ones where-- They create the fun things to talk about, but they are where this is fantasy and not science fiction. Like a lot of these questions I could answer and you'd be like "Alright, if there were this alternate power source, we could buy this" but in this case we're like exception-list-of-asterisks to make it work. But they're too fun to not do, right? And I knew I was doing gravity on Stormlight, so I'm like "I gotta do weight separately".

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

It means that while it's possible to anchor a bubble to yourself, the more objects are going in and out of the bubble, the faster they are, the more likely they will mess up with your bubble because of their perception of stillness. Additionally, in combination with this WoB, it seems like a time bubble's barrier can absorb only a limited amount of energy, after which it would pop. Running with a time bubble could be impossible, because of the sheer number of objects going in and out of it - unless you can make it as small as your body, but for that you need years of practice with tons of bendalloy, which is one of the most expensive Allomantic metals.

So it might not work as easily running as there are constantly objects interfering with it. 

But what about @Trusk'our original idea of combining it with allomantic flight.  I believe super jumps would still be possible, especially with the primer cube being the center of the bubble in a pocket or whatever. Once you are airborne I figure there will be significantly less objects crossing the threshold.  But this leads me to just a couple questions. 

1. I am always losing my mind with this and can't remember. Can you steel push through time bubbles?  I feel like if you could Wax could have just pushed back every bullet shot at them and killed the attackers always.  Obviously a bunch of coins exiting through the bubble won't break it as Wayne and wax get shot at through bubbles constantly and no bubble was ever said to have been popped except by aluminum.  

If you can't push and pull through bubbles would you ever be able to stay airborne for more than a single jump at a time? And how do you safely land without needing to shut down your bubble to repush or pull before getting deaded.  

2. Is there any part of the bubble that goes beyond the ground?  Would sprinting through train tunnels be less damaging to a bubble than sprinting through the streets of a city? 

Edit: @alder24

Another thought I had about those WOBs. Do you find it interesting that other bubbles being created inside of or on top of or right beside existing ones don't pop them?  Maybe there is something special about the energy of allomantic time bubbles that don't allow them to destroy eachother instead just offset based on strength and size the other bubbles around them?  

Edited by Tamriel Wolfsbaine

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

But what about @Trusk'our original idea of combining it with allomantic flight.  I believe super jumps would still be possible, especially with the primer cube being the center of the bubble in a pocket or whatever. Once you are airborne I figure there will be significantly less objects crossing the threshold. 

It's still a maybe. But air is an object too - it has a mass, there are air particles. Too fast and the bubble might pop. It's too speculative.

Can you steel push through time bubbles?

No. It was said in books.

Spoiler

Kurkistan

Speaking of time bubbles, can iron and steel and emotional Allomancy go beyond the boundaries of time bubbles; like if I'm inside a time bubble can I just like super Steelpush outside?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, time bubbles interfere with almost all forms of Investiture.

If you can't push and pull through bubbles would you ever be able to stay airborne for more than a single jump at a time?

You wouldn't.

And how do you safely land without needing to shut down your bubble to repush or pull before getting deaded.  

You can't.

2. Is there any part of the bubble that goes beyond the ground? 

No idea. Most likely half of it is below your feet.

24 minutes ago, alder24 said:

It's still a maybe. But air is an object too - it has a mass, there are air particles. Too fast and the bubble might pop. It's too speculative.

No. It was said in books.

Hide contents

Kurkistan

Speaking of time bubbles, can iron and steel and emotional Allomancy go beyond the boundaries of time bubbles; like if I'm inside a time bubble can I just like super Steelpush outside?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, time bubbles interfere with almost all forms of Investiture.

You wouldn't.

You can't.

No idea. Most likely half of it is below your feet.

That is all kind of what I thought.  

I do think its interesting that time bubbles may be the key to FTL travel for Scadrial yet moving them is so difficult. 

A few thoughts on that.  

Does the Vacuum of space eliminate the mass of air and such? 

Air moves freely through bubbles as does light.  

I like the WoBs but there isn't enough there to really discredit the use of it in faster travel.  I mean... is Wayne's power significantly weaker during a rain storm?  Why don't cadmium bubbles disappear instantly on a windy day?   

I can totally see far denser things like buildings moving through the bubble as being an issue. Probably sprinting through a building with a speed bubble moving around you would tear it up pretty quick... even running on the ground with things popping up.  But air? I don't think that will stop it.  

I imagine combining Wax's powers with Wayne's would allow a really fast mover with little to no danger so long as the speed bubble was centered on a primer cube that was on the persons body.  Iron feruchemy would save you from breaking yourself on the drop each time while those seconds you contact the ground would allow another steel push.  Add in the conservation of momentum you could get significantly longer coin jumping by shifting weight in air.  Heavy heavy on the ground for the push and then gradually taper off the weight while in your arc should aid in the jumps while hitting that weight that allows air resistance to slow you down and safely touch the ground before doing it all over again.  

I love the crashers power set... and a portable speed bubble would likely just aid it entirely.  Plus everyone around you will be bullet timed.  You could probably jump and hit moving targets with ease plus calculate the next jumps as you are coming in for a landing.... 

Seems like it could make for one heck of a cinematic and chaotic experience.  Think every chase with multiple enemies ever. You put up a speed bubble and jump towards one of the bad guys cars... the one in back of the pack.  The world is at a crawl as you easily land where you wanted. That rear car enters the bubble with you and suddenly is zooming normal speed while the others are still at a stand still. The collision with the front car is now imminent and you launch yourself away, pushing off of the car as it begins to collide with the other car.  You go flying and catch the collision, and the cool special effects explosion in slow motion as you fly away.  Then the bubble drops and the world speeds up again as the fireball moves to try to engulf you but you emerge unharmed landing in super hero pose on the same building you started your attack from.