Interlude Characters for SA5? [Discuss]

Aredor

Unless Brandon goes completely haywire, we're going to have interludes in book 5. Who do you think they're going to be? 

I hope that we will have a Mraize interlude, because that seems really cool. Rysn is sure to make an appearance, and I think that we will get a Lift interlude, and I think there's a WoB somewhere that says Tarah will get an interlude. Who do you think is going to be an interlude character / main interlude character? 

-Probably won't happen, but I think it would be fun to hear from that one ardent girl who was reading romance novels, I really like her lol.

-Rock/someone in the horneater mountains would be interesting, since we haven't had any chapters set there yet. 

-An interlude from a worldhoppers pov would be awesome but is unlikely (like Khriss or maybe Naz).

-One of the heralds we haven't met yet maybe?

-Nightblood.

-It's been awhile since we heard of Axies, that might be fun.

Edited by Justice_Magician

41 minutes ago, Justice_Magician said:

-Probably won't happen, but I think it would be fun to hear from that one ardent girl who was reading romance novels, I really like her lol.

-Rock/someone in the horneater mountains would be interesting, since we haven't had any chapters set there yet. 

-An interlude from a worldhoppers pov would be awesome but is unlikely (like Khriss or maybe Naz).

-One of the heralds we haven't met yet maybe?

-Nightblood.

-It's been awhile since we heard of Axies, that might be fun.

Ooooh, Axies and Nightblood would be epic!

It's been, what, nine years since we've seen axies on screen?

16 minutes ago, Experience said:

From a shards point of view would be interesting. Maybe cultivation?

I think if we're going to have a shard's viewpoint, we're going to have Taravangian. Probably should have put that in earlier... I also think that nightblood would be cool... and, as long as we're wishing, let's figure out what in Roshar was going on with Puuli.

I feel like Horneaters would be important, especially if it helps set up a supposed Horneater book

Maybe one of the Unmade, maybe Sja-anat and learn more about Renarin and his spren.

Without revealing a SP spoiler, there is a character I would be interested in seeing more

We got so little of Rysn in Book 4 that I hope we see more of her with the Dawnshard or something with the Sleepless.

1 hour ago, Aredor said:

Unless Brandon goes completely haywire, we're going to have interludes in book 5. Who do you think they're going to be? 

I hope that we will have a Mraize interlude, because that seems really cool. Rysn is sure to make an appearance, and I think that we will get a Lift interlude, and I think there's a WoB somewhere that says Tarah will get an interlude. Who do you think is going to be an interlude character / main interlude character? 

Moash interlude is certain and probably will be the main PoV of interlude (like Szeth in WoK and Taravangian later), Rysn and Lift will be there too for sure. I'm hoping for Zahel or Azure to finish their storyline, BAM would make an interesting interlude, maybe El, Chana if a certain theory is true, and maybe Stormfather (because of his suspicious behavior in the prologue)? I doubt we will get Odium or Cultivation interlude - that's too revealing, but there could be something with Odium at the end if he fails. Axies would be fun to come back, but I also hope for the return of Puuli the lighthouse keeper from OB - that was a really weird guy and something could be foreshadowed there, so maybe he will return in interludes.

Tarah will get her own interlude.

Spoiler

Questioner

Is Tarah, Kaladin’s flame, still currently in Urithiru? Because there’s a chapter where it kind of seems like she’s there.

Brandon Sanderson

I will answer that in Book Five, so I’m gonna RAFO you. That is at least my plan; one of the interludes should be from her viewpoint. That is my plan right now.

Dragonsteel 2022 (Nov. 14, 2022)

I really want a completely random and irrelevant interlude that introduces another part of Roshar. I loved Ishikk before I even understood the world hopper stuff, just because I got to see something different. And Puuli was weird and out of the blue but I liked it because (don't know if anyone's noticed this before) Stormlight books are. long. Really long. And having a super chill chapter about some random guy is kind of a nice break. I think someone from Liafor or a different western nation would be neat. 

You know what I want? A Lightweaver who draws for the Liafor fashion folio thingies. Completely random but I bet it would be cool. 

6 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

I really want a completely random and irrelevant interlude that introduces another part of Roshar. I loved Ishikk before I even understood the world hopper stuff, just because I got to see something different. And Puuli was weird and out of the blue but I liked it because (don't know if anyone's noticed this before) Stormlight books are. long. Really long. And having a super chill chapter about some random guy is kind of a nice break. I think someone from Liafor or a different western nation would be neat. 

You know what I want? A Lightweaver who draws for the Liafor fashion folio thingies. Completely random but I bet it would be cool. 

Yeah, maybe something expanding a culture we know little about, like New Nanatan.

Just now, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Yeah, maybe something expanding a culture we know little about, like New Nanatan.

I completely forgot about there. That's why I like the interludes, they remind me that there's a bigger world outside of Urithiru and Alethkar.

I'd love it if we got an Interlude from a Skybreaker character, they currently act kinda like a hive mind so it would be interesting to see some individual perspectives within that group and what their personal feelings on their current situation and what they think about the whole conflict.

Similarly, it would be great to explore the perspectives of the freed parsh, or perhaps even a Regal character. We've seen some of the Fused, but this part of Odium's forces is still pretty unexplored.

18 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

I'd love it if we got an Interlude from a Skybreaker character, they currently act kinda like a hive mind so it would be interesting to see some individual perspectives within that group and what their personal feelings on their current situation and what they think about the whole conflict.

Similarly, it would be great to explore the perspectives of the freed parsh, or perhaps even a Regal character. We've seen some of the Fused, but this part of Odium's forces is still pretty unexplored.

Your point about Skybreakers is so true. There are a few radiant orders that we really haven't explored all too much. Skybreakers who aren't working with Nale, for one, but also Dustbringers and Elsecallers, also definitely Willshapers. Either of these orders would probably make an awesome interlude, but I think that Dustbringer would be really cool. I just want to see a Dustbringer who's not on Taravangian's side. They don't have to be on the radiant's side, but a different perspective from Malata would be neat. A POV from one of the listeners that Venal finds at the end would be cool as well. 

1 hour ago, The Sibling said:

Your point about Skybreakers is so true. There are a few radiant orders that we really haven't explored all too much. Skybreakers who aren't working with Nale, for one, but also Dustbringers and Elsecallers, also definitely Willshapers. Either of these orders would probably make an awesome interlude, but I think that Dustbringer would be really cool. I just want to see a Dustbringer who's not on Taravangian's side. They don't have to be on the radiant's side, but a different perspective from Malata would be neat. A POV from one of the listeners that Venal finds at the end would be cool as well. 

I think we’ll definitely get a Listener interlude at some point. Does anyone know if Brandon had said anything about Venli being a main POV character? Because if not we’re bound to get a few scenes about her at some point, which will most likely be in interludes.

3 hours ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

I think we’ll definitely get a Listener interlude at some point. Does anyone know if Brandon had said anything about Venli being a main POV character? Because if not we’re bound to get a few scenes about her at some point, which will most likely be in interludes.

Brandon has talked about that in one of the updates he posted to reddit. (spoiler tagged for book 5 just in case, but it's only information about the general formatting. There are no major plot details in the tag.)

Spoiler

Basically, she's getting a storyline within the book but one that's kind of separate from the major character groupings of the book.

Those groups are the core of the book, but there’s still some to do afterward. Notably, Adolin, Jasnah, and Venli. Each will have a nice little chunk in this book, and while their plotlines aren’t interconnected, I’ll probably write them all through together. I anticipate these sequences to be a total of around 100k words.

So to me it sounds like she's going to get something similar to what Szeth got in book 3.

On 08/10/2023 at 6:52 AM, LuckyJim said:

It would also work well in contrast with Szeth's PoVs, which we are going to get a lot of since it's his book.

And yeah, I'd love to see other nations. We're going to have Horneaters soonish in Horneater, but the western nations would be great too. Have we even ever seen people from Liafor or Tu Bayla on screen? 

On 10/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, The Sibling said:

What if we saw Puuli again? His interlude was a tad boring but I still really liked it and I feel like most interludes have turned out to be somehow relevant to the plot, so I'm still waiting for Puuli to come back.

Came here to say this as well. We have been promised to have something come of Puuli's "origin island" beliefs, and it would be great to see that come to pass in another interlude.

As for others I would want:
Sja Anat
Rysn

Todium
Cultivation
Ash
Venli's mother
Ishiik (purelake interlude guy)
Dabbid

Edited by teknopathetic

The stick!

In addition, it might be cool to get an update on the 17th sharders on Roshar or the perspective of one of the sleepless explaining the blurbs on the back of SA, especially the “One of them may redeem us. One of them will destroy us.“ line, which I feel like most people have kind of forgotten about.

16 minutes ago, Lord Spirit said:

The stick!

In addition, it might be cool to get an update on the 17th sharders on Roshar or the perspective of one of the sleepless explaining the blurbs on the back of SA, especially the “One of them may redeem us. One of them will destroy us.“ line, which I feel like most people have kind of forgotten about.

Those would all be cool, but according to this WoB:

Jofwu

The Seventeenth Shard was looking for a certain individual on Roshar. Have they found him yet? Or, what are they doing?

Brandon Sanderson

They never managed to find him. He is tricksy, as you might imagine, he is a tricksy hobbit. And so they have never managed to find him. They think they got close a couple times, but they actually didn't. And by the point of Rhythm of War, they have given up and left planet, because he kind of went behind their backs and was talking to people and things like that.

We will catch up to those three at some point, I hope, and find out what they've been up to. They kept looking in the wrong countries.

JordanCon 2021 (July 17, 2021)

While he mentions that we will likely “catch up” with them at some point, that will likely not be in SA as that is mostly confined to Roshar.

7 hours ago, The Sibling said:

What about a random world hopper, super unexpectedly.

Era 2

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe MeLaan or another Kandra? 

More era 2:

Spoiler

The problem is that era 2 is set in between books five and six, so the kandra wouldn’t be worldhoppers yet.

I just had an idea. What if we had an interlude from Nazh or Khriss’s PoV?

Edited by Ravenclawjedi42
Put a quote box instead of a spoiler box.