UNITY

Child of Hodor

"Conquest doesn't remove countries." Nomad said "It removes lines on a map. Unity requires something else." -  Ch. 16 

A throwaway line, but it is said by someone who survived whatever happened in SA and all the "Unite Them" "I am Unity" talk in SA it feels like it has a double-meaning much like Honor's visions saying "Unite Them" may have multiple meanings or at least a meaning Dalinar hasn't hit on yet. To me this line reads like Nomad is reflecting on the creation of Unity the Shard or something of similar significance beyond ending wars between groups of people.

Edited by Child of Hodor

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

"Conquest doesn't remove countries." Nomad said "It removes lines on a map. Unity requires something else." -  Ch. 16 

A throwaway line, but it is said by someone who survived whatever happened in SA and all the "Unite Them" "I am Unity" talk in SA it feels like it has a double-meaning much like Honor's visions saying "Unite Them" may have multiple meanings or at least a meaning Dalinar hasn't hit on yet. To me this line reads like Nomad is reflecting on the creation of Unity the Shard or something of similar significance beyond ending wars between groups of people.

Certainly seems possible that there is a double meaning - this is Sanderson afterall. However, when I read that line, I took it to be Nomad throwing Cinder King's lies in his face. He repeatedly says he is trying to unite the populace of Canticle; but he's really just trying to conquer. This was, to me, Nomad pointing out the distinction. 

On 10/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, Treamayne said:

Certainly seems possible that there is a double meaning - this is Sanderson afterall. However, when I read that line, I took it to be Nomad throwing Cinder King's lies in his face. He repeatedly says he is trying to unite the populace of Canticle; but he's really just trying to conquer. This was, to me, Nomad pointing out the distinction. 

And that is exactly Sanderson's bread and butter. It could mean nothing, it could definitely mean 2 or more things, or he could have written that to give himself space for later books, or it could be the latter two things together. I feel like BS's middle name is RAFO.

On 10/5/2023 at 9:09 AM, Treamayne said:

I think that it may be looking back on to what happens on Roshar with Dalinar. He slaughtered his way across the land and eventually conquered all of Alethkar, but what he had was not a kingdom, but a bunch of squabbling princedoms. But now, Dalinar has been trying to unify, not conquer. I think that this brought back to Sig Dalinar's campaign to unite the world, and how similar the Cinder King's goal was to Dalinar's first goal when he conquered Alethkar

On 10/5/2023 at 8:52 AM, Child of Hodor said:

Have consider that Unity is not a shard but is instead a dawnshard. The very same dawnshard thatbgave Nomad his connection abilities?

• 6 months later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:52 AM, Child of Hodor said:

I'm going to throw my speculation in the ring. 

"Conquest doesn't remove countries." Nomad said "It removes lines on a map. Unity requires sacrifice."

The conqueror's goal is to subject the conquered to their will. Unity requires sacrifice, in that everyone has to give up some of their own ideals, in order to come together under a single overarching purpose. Obviously, the implication in this case is likely bleak for Dalinar.

Edited by Treach