Cosmere 5e: My 450-page Stormlight Archive D&D-inspired TTRPG

miscc

Hello 17th Shard!

About two years ago, my three friends and I, all huge fans of Brandon Sanderson and The Stormlight Archive, wanted to try our hands at D&D 5e for the first time. I decided, for some insane reason, that I was going to not only DM my first game with them but also that I wanted to DM a game of D&D based on the world of The Stormlight Archive. Our campaign started soon after with some basic reskinning and rules, and now we are still going strong and I have compiled everything I reskinned/created into two documents: the Radiant's Handbook and The Invested Arts of the Cosmere (I'm also working on another document that will include the other cosmere books translated into D&D, called Hoid's Guide to the Cosmere). The two documents equal about 450 pages, all available for players to start a complete game of Cosmere 5e, if they have a willing GM.

I wanted to post it here to see if anyone would be interested in playing. I will be the first to admit that D&D 5e is not the best system for the magic and characteristics of The Stormlight Archive, but I am most familiar with 5e's system and that is how it started. If you do check out the Radiant's Handbook (the equivalent of D&D 5e's Player's Handbook), let me know what you think! There are nine completely unique classes, one for each Knights Radiant Order (except for Bondsmith) and 14 different Identities (the equivalent of D&D's races) like Alethi, Siah Aimian, Herdazian, and more. I have made a huge list of feats, backgrounds, and designed items based on the world of Roshar. I have also made up mechanics for using Investiture and Stormlight, and resources for a GM to use if they want to run their own game. Note that everything in these documents is meant to be played on its own, rather than implement it into your own D&D 5e game. The Knights Radiant slowly but surely became more powerful that D&D classes due to the nature of Investiture and fun.

My documents also have hundreds of Invested Arts (spells), fabrials and weapons, rules for Shardweapons, rules for spren (with Ideal swearing and how they operate as familiars), and much more.

Like I said, I have been playing this for about a year and a half now. My three players (a Makabaki Skybreaker, a Thaylen Edgedancer, and a Reshi Lightweaver) are traveling Roshar and trying to stop a mysterious group from harnessing an Unmade. Most of the information in the Handbook has not really been tested, so I would love that as well. If anyone does have any feedback, suggestions, critiques, or anything else, I would love to know. You can message me here or on reddit (my username there is /u/mikiari).

Again, here is the link to the Radiant's Handbook: here.

And again, here is the link to the Invested Art's of the Cosmere (essentially a giant document of all the details of the Invested Arts -- spells -- you can cast): here.

And here is a link to a Google Sheets-powered Character Sheet you could use (use File > Make a copy to add a copy of your own to your Google Drive): here.

Edited by miscc

9 hours ago, miscc said:

Hello 17th Shard!

About two years ago, my three friends and I, all huge fans of Brandon Sanderson and The Stormlight Archive, wanted to try our hands at D&D 5e for the first time. I decided, for some insane reason, that I was going to not only DM my first game with them but also that I wanted to DM a game of D&D based on the world of The Stormlight Archive. Our campaign started soon after with some basic reskinning and rules, and now we are still going strong and I have compiled everything I reskinned/created into two documents: the Radiant's Handbook and The Invested Arts of the Cosmere (I'm also working on another document that will include the other cosmere books translated into D&D, called Hoid's Guide to the Cosmere). The two documents equal about 450 pages, all available for players to start a complete game of Cosmere 5e, if they have a willing GM.

I wanted to post it here to see if anyone would be interested in playing. I will be the first to admit that D&D 5e is not the best system for the magic and characteristics of The Stormlight Archive, but I am most familiar with 5e's system and that is how it started. If you do check out the Radiant's Handbook (the equivalent of D&D 5e's Player's Handbook), let me know what you think! There are nine completely unique classes, one for each Knights Radiant Order (except for Bondsmith) and 14 different Identities (the equivalent of D&D's races) like Alethi, Siah Aimian, Herdazian, and more. I have made a huge list of feats, backgrounds, and designed items based on the world of Roshar. I have also made up mechanics for using Investiture and Stormlight, and resources for a GM to use if they want to run their own game. Note that everything in these documents is meant to be played on its own, rather than implement it into your own D&D 5e game. The Knights Radiant slowly but surely became more powerful that D&D classes due to the nature of Investiture and fun.

My documents also have hundreds of Invested Arts (spells), fabrials and weapons, rules for Shardweapons, rules for spren (with Ideal swearing and how they operate as familiars), and much more.

Like I said, I have been playing this for about a year and a half now. My three players (a Makabaki Skybreaker, a Thaylen Edgedancer, and a Reshi Lightweaver) are traveling Roshar and trying to stop a mysterious group from harnessing an Unmade. Most of the information in the Handbook has not really been tested, so I would love that as well. If anyone does have any feedback, suggestions, critiques, or anything else, I would love to know. You can message me here or on reddit (my username there is /u/mikiari).

I guess I am too new to post links! Which makes sense. If anyone is willing to check it out (I have three documents: the Handbook, the document of Invested Arts, and a Google Sheets character sheet), let me know! If there is a better place to post this, mods, please let me know.

Would love to but too busy right now any way I could buy a copy of the hand book and other resources you created? 

Unfortunately, as I just created this account, it still won't let me post links. However (and mods, sorry and tell me if this is against the rules), I have posted it on the /r/Stormlight_Archive and /r/Cosmere subreddits, where it is still on the front page. My username there is /u/mikiari, so you can check it out from there! I have three publicly-shared documents, including a Google Sheets character sheet to track your stuff! I would love for anyone here to check it out.

15 hours ago, Experience said:

That's literally so awesome. Can't wait to see it once you can post the links.

15 hours ago, Scars of Hathsin said:

I tried to work on stuff like that, didn't get far, excited to see the links

9 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Would love to but too busy right now any way I could buy a copy of the hand book and other resources you created? 

I am finally here long enough to post links! The original post has been updated with them. All free and available as public Google Docs. Check em out!

9 hours ago, miscc said:

Unfortunately, as I just created this account, it still won't let me post links. However (and mods, sorry and tell me if this is against the rules), I have posted it on the /r/Stormlight_Archive and /r/Cosmere subreddits, where it is still on the front page. My username there is /u/mikiari, so you can check it out from there! I have three publicly-shared documents, including a Google Sheets character sheet to track your stuff! I would love for anyone here to check it out.

As long as you aren't selling it, I don't think it is against the rules. (Not a Mod, so my word isn't law)

Welcome to the Forums.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, miscc said:

Unfortunately, as I just created this account, it still won't let me post links. <snip> I would love for anyone here to check it out.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:15 PM, miscc said:

I am finally here long enough to post links! The original post has been updated with them. All free and available as public Google Docs. Check em out!

Please do not double-post. Here are some tips and tricks you may not have found yet that will help you address multiple topics or update posts:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

On 03/09/2023 at 6:50 AM, miscc said:

Hello 17th Shard!

And again, here is the link to the Invested Art's of the Cosmere (essentially a giant document of all the details of the Invested Arts -- spells -- you can cast): here.

And here is a link to a Google Sheets-powered Character Sheet you could use (use File > Make a copy to add a copy of your own to your Google Drive): here.

Can't wait to try it out. Sounds like fun. 

• 7 months later...
On 02/09/2023 at 17:50, miscc said:

OlĂĄ, 17Âș fragmento!

Cerca de dois anos atrĂĄs, meus trĂȘs amigos e eu, todos grandes fĂŁs de Brandon Sanderson e  The Stormlight Archive , querĂ­amos experimentar D&D 5e pela primeira vez. Eu decidi, por algum motivo insano, que nĂŁo apenas iria DM meu primeiro jogo com eles, mas tambĂ©m que queria DM um jogo de D&D baseado no mundo de  The Stormlight Archive . Nossa campanha começou logo depois com algumas regras e reformulaçÔes bĂĄsicas, e agora continuamos fortes e compilei tudo que reformulei/criei em dois documentos: o Manual do Radiante  e  as Artes Investidas do Cosmere  (tambĂ©m estou trabalhando em outro documento que incluirĂĄ os demais livros de Cosmere traduzidos para D&D, chamado Hoid's Guide to the Cosmere ). Os dois documentos equivalem a cerca de 450 pĂĄginas, todos disponĂ­veis para os jogadores iniciarem um jogo completo de Cosmere 5e, caso tenham um GM disposto.

Queria postar aqui para ver se alguĂ©m teria interesse em jogar. Serei o primeiro a admitir que o D&D 5e nĂŁo Ă© o melhor sistema para a magia e as caracterĂ­sticas do  Stormlight Archive , mas estou mais familiarizado com o sistema do 5e e foi assim que tudo começou. Se vocĂȘ conferir o  Radiant's Handbook  (o equivalente ao D&D 5e's  Player's Handbook ), deixe-me saber o que vocĂȘ pensa! Existem nove classes completamente Ășnicas, uma para cada Ordem dos Cavaleiros Radiantes (exceto Bondsmith) e 14 identidades diferentes (o equivalente Ă s raças de D&D) como Alethi, Siah Aimian, Herdazian e muito mais. Fiz uma lista enorme de talentos, antecedentes e itens projetados com base no mundo de Roshar. TambĂ©m criei mecĂąnicas para usar Investiture e Stormlight, e recursos para um GM usar se quiser rodar seu prĂłprio jogo. Observe que tudo nestes documentos deve ser jogado por si sĂł, em vez de ser implementado em seu prĂłprio jogo D&D 5e. Os Cavaleiros Radiantes lenta mas seguramente se tornaram mais poderosos que as classes de D&D devido Ă  natureza da Investidura e da diversĂŁo.

Meus documentos tambĂ©m contĂȘm centenas de Artes Investidas (feitiços), fabrials e armas, regras para Shardweapons, regras para spren (com palavrĂ”es do Ideal e como eles funcionam como familiares) e muito mais.

Como eu disse, jogo isso hĂĄ cerca de um ano e meio. Meus trĂȘs jogadores (um Makabaki Skybreaker, um Thaylen Edgedancer e um Reshi Lightweaver) estĂŁo viajando por Roshar e tentando impedir que um grupo misterioso controle um Unmade. A maior parte das informaçÔes contidas no  Manual  nĂŁo foi realmente testada, entĂŁo eu adoraria isso tambĂ©m. Se alguĂ©m tiver algum feedback, sugestĂŁo, crĂ­tica ou qualquer outra coisa, eu adoraria saber. VocĂȘ pode me enviar uma mensagem aqui ou no reddit (meu nome de usuĂĄrio Ă© /u/mikiari).

Novamente, aqui estĂĄ o link para o Manual do Radiant: aqui .

E novamente, aqui estĂĄ o link para as Artes Investidas do Cosmere (essencialmente um documento gigante de todos os detalhes das Artes Investidas – feitiços – que vocĂȘ pode lançar): aqui .

E aqui estĂĄ um link para uma ficha de personagem do Planilhas Google que vocĂȘ pode usar (use Arquivo > Fazer uma cĂłpia para adicionar uma cĂłpia sua ao seu Google Drive): aqui .

I have to say, i love you

On 9/2/2023 at 2:50 PM, miscc said:

Hello 17th Shard!

This is so neat! I'm trying to make a Cosmere based D&D adaptation myself, and it's so cool to see I'm not the only one trying.