[SPOILER] Did anyone else get really pissed when you read that Kaladin could have been a Shardbearer?

Hello

@traceria,

I just listened to the chapter in WoK where Kaladin

takes down the shardbearer.  There are some hints there that Syl is present:

1.)  A windspren sticks his sphere pouch to his belt when he tries to bribe the surgeons

2.) As he goes to defend the new recruit he feels wind blowing around him - on a day that had been still

3.)  He thinks to himself how he felt like no one could defeat him when he was defending his men - (and takes down many enemy spearmen in the process, with crazy knife throws, etc)

That all felt to me like hints that Syl was already drawn to him.

@traceria,

I just listened to the chapter in WoK where Kaladin

takes down the shardbearer.  There are some hints there that Syl is present:

1.)  A windspren sticks his sphere pouch to his belt when he tries to bribe the surgeons

2.) As he goes to defend the new recruit he feels wind blowing around him - on a day that had been still

3.)  He thinks to himself how he felt like no one could defeat him when he was defending his men - (and takes down many enemy spearmen in the process, with crazy knife throws, etc)

That all felt to me like hints that Syl was already drawn to him.

Well, there is a quote in WoR that states Syl has been around since his childhood.... She started being more present after Tien's death, so yeah these are probably early manifestations. I think Brandon also stated how Kaladin rejecting the shards has helped his bond move forward.

*: It was a really stupid call. A decision doesn't retroactively become better when factors you were unaware of at the time make things work out.

I really don't think so, his reasons at the time were perfectly valid, if someone offered me a machine gun I'd turn them down no matter how much money or respect they offered with it, I really wouldn't want to be responsible for the murder of hundreds of people just for a higher position in society.

I really don't think so, his reasons at the time were perfectly valid, if someone offered me a machine gun I'd turn them down no matter how much money or respect they offered with it, I really wouldn't want to be responsible for the murder of hundreds of people just for a higher position in society

well, not such a good comparison.

kaladin was already a soldier, he already killed scores of people in battle and he wanted to go to the shattered plains.

It's like you refuse a machine gun cause you don't want to kill people with it, then go back to killing people with a sling.

kaladin was already a soldier, he already killed scores of people in battle and he wanted to go to the shattered plains.

It's like you refuse a machine gun cause you don't want to kill people with it, then go back to killing people with a sling.

Good one.

Kal's stated reasons for refusing the shards were weak, in my opinion. He claimed he did not want them because they killed his friends....... so he harbored a hateful feeling towards weapons. Weapons did not kill his friends: the person wielding the weapons did.

Now I know the real reason is his bond and the discomfort he feels around them it triggered. It just would have been nice is Kal had express his true feelings.

If everyone else is fighting with slings too then it's understandable,it's the difference between war and genocide.

Good one.

Kal's stated reasons for refusing the shards were weak, in my opinion. He claimed he did not want them because they killed his friends....... so he harbored a hateful feeling towards weapons. Weapons did not kill his friends: the person wielding the weapons did.

Now I know the real reason is his bond and the discomfort he feels around them it triggered. It just would have been nice is Kal had express his true feelings.

But he didn't know about the bond at that point, so he was rationalizing his discomfort by saying "it killed my friends".

But he didn't know about the bond at that point, so he was rationalizing his discomfort by saying "it killed my friends".

True enough for when he rejected them with Amaram. With Adolin, however, he was not honest. He knew, but he refused to tell.

Oh boy. Everyone is trying really hard to use spoiler tags, etc., but ...

Enough stuff is slipping through that, well, I just hope Hello is no longer reading this thread. He/she seems to be invested enough in the story that she/he deserves to enjoy the "big reveal" moments just like we all did. (I'm imagining, what if someone had told me what happened at the Pellenor Fields? Gives me the shivvers to think of it.)

I absolutely do NOT mean to criticize - it's obvious everyone is totally trying - but it's just so hard! We all enjoy Stormlight Archives so much! ... that and the way everyone respects each other are why these forums are so great to hang out on.

So - if you're still here, Hello, Thanks for giving us this great discussion topic! but be mindful that you read at your own "risk." :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not even sure which time Kaladin gave away his shards the poster is mad about. The first happens before you have any real grasp of what shards are. The second is so fast after the opportunity arises that knowing it is coming is not really an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only say that Kaladin was stupid for giving a shardplate to the very person who plotted to kill the king, despite Moash promising to call it off.

"I will kill the king, help me. If you say no I won't kill him"

"No."

"Ok, I'll stop."

"Good, have an item that is worth an entire kingdom"

"Thanks! Now I can be even deadlier when attacking the king!"

I can only say that Kaladin was stupid for giving a shardplate to the very person who plotted to kill the king, despite Moash promising to call it off.

"I will kill the king, help me. If you say no I won't kill him"

"No."

"Ok, I'll stop."

"Good, have an item that is worth an entire kingdom"

"Thanks! Now I can be even deadlier when attacking the king!"

To be fair, I agree with you, but this was just after Kaladin was released from prison wherein he had just decided that Elhokar had to die. 

• Chaos locked this topic