13 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Munazir said:

The books I have left are 

RoW

Era 2

secret Projects 1&3

ES

SH

I know that that Khriss is a worldhopper that writes the Ars Arcanum.

I tried to read the coppermind but it’s not really effective when you haven’t read the comic 

I don't think there is much you need to know before reading White Sand. This novel isn't very connected with the rest of Cosmere, except for Khriss. I think you can jump into it even as your entry point into Cosmere and you won't lose anything. 

Edit: The another connection from the White Sand novel is that you'll be able to recognize the White Sand substance if it appear in different books. 

Edited by alder24

On 7/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, Munazir said:

The books I have left are 

RoW

Era 2

secret Projects 1&3

ES

SH

I know that that Khriss is a worldhopper that writes the Ars Arcanum.

I noticed you did not list White Sand, is that because you read the Prose version, or because you do not intend to read it. If you just don't fancy Graphic Novels, have you considered the (noncanon) Prose version or the (canon) Audiobook?

• The Prose version is a free download when you join the Sanderson Newsletter (if you already have joined, check the very first "welcome" email for the link).
    • While some details are not canon, the important bits that are referenced elsewhere (so far) are all present and it is enough to give you a frame of reference
    • You could then read the thread in the White Sand forum that discusses the changes from the noncanon Prose and the Canon GN
  • The Audiobook is (supposedly - I have not listened to it) the best version because it has both the changes to make it canon, and the description(s) that can be . . . lacking. . . in the Graphic Novel. 
    • My friends that dislike the GN tried this and spoke highly of it
  • If the problem is GN availability, note that the Omnibus edition re-release is now available. 
On 7/20/2023 at 4:46 PM, alder24 said:

Edit: The another connection from the White Sand novel is that you'll be able to recognize the White Sand substance if it appear in different books.

Off the top of my head, there are White Sand references in the Arcanum Unbounded Esays, Tress, Words of Radiance, Rhythm of War - with RoW being the important one. 

I tried to read the coppermind but it’s not really effective when you haven’t read the comic 

When you say that you tried reading the Coppermind, do you mean - this Summary?

If you still intend to not read or listen to any versions and just want to know the "important bits," maybe start a thread in the White Sand forum for a Summary discussion. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

2 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

I noticed you did not list White Sand, is that because you read the Prose version, or because you do not intend to read it. If you just don;t fancy Graphic Novels, have you considered the (noncanon) Prose version or the (canon) Audiobook?

• The Prose version is a free download when you join the Sanderson Newsletter (if you already have joined, check the very first "welcome" email for the link).
    • While some details are not canon, the important bits that are referenced elsewhere (so far) are all present and it is enough to give you a frame of reference
    • You could then read the thread inteh White Sand forum that discusses the changes from the noncanon Prose and the Canon GN
  • The Audiobook is (supposedly - I have not listened to it) the best version because it has both the changes to make it canon, and the description(s) that can be . . . lacking. . . in the Graphic Novel. 
    • My friends that dislike the GN tried this and spoke highly of it
  • If the problem is GN availability, note that the Omnibus edition re-release is now available. 

Off the top of my head, there are White Sand references in the Arcanum Unbounded Esays, Tress, Words of Radiance, Rhythm of War, SP1 - with RoW being the important one. 

When you say  you tried reading the Coppermind, do you mean - this Summary?

If you still intend to not read or listen to any versions and just want to know the "important bits," maybe start a thread in teh White Sand forum for a Summary discussion. 

I tried to read the GN but I got bored and I assumed the prose version wasn’t the full story.

I’ll give the graphic audio a go since it’s less then 20hrs. 
I thought could get like an overview for what I need to know to catch connections and then read the newer version I heard was gonna one day be released 

8 minutes ago, Munazir said:

and then read the newer version I heard was gonna one day be released 

The newer version is released - the Omnibus.

I don't think there are any plans for Sanderson to update and release the Prose version with updates. 

Edit: Was that summary page I linked the one you read?

Example (with fixed Omnibus Changes):

Spoiler

Kenton, a weak but skilled sand master (the ability to control sand through a temporary bond which drains the user or moisture), is determined to run the Mastrell's Path in order to prove that he deserves the highest rank among the sand masters (not so much deserve as he knows he cannot affect change without a gold sash (highest rank) and he feels the Diem rates power over skill unfairly). His father, Lord Mastrell Praxton, objects strongly due to Kenton's lack of strength, and the two argue bitterly (The pretty much always argue bitterly). [Flashback shows the day Kenton tested to join the Diem and argued that his father could not prohibit him from joining since he was able to activate sand (no matter how weak) - his father can only control if he is advanced or not. Think of Praxton as Straff with more morals and less physical abuse - his power and repuation are everything and anything (like a weak son) that detracts from that is not allowed).

Kenton has stubbornly refused advancement in the past, not wanting to settle for a lower (the lowest actually) rank that will limit future advancement (Sandmasters cannot advance after accepting a rank - this was true for the original Prose and both GN versions). Undermastrell Elorin warns Kenton but permits him to test himself against the Path. Mastrell Traiben, Kenton's longtime friend despite a significant difference in rank, discourages Kenton strongly as well, but Kenton persists.

Elorin explains how the challenge works: Kenton must make his way across the Kerla (world's name for this region) in a limited time and collect five red spheres along the way. He may not bring his qido (qido is a water containter - Omnibus changes this to "may only use one qido" - no other water sources) with him. Praxton complains that Kenton should not be allowed to bring a sword, but Elorin allows it as it is not explicitly forbidden by the rules.

Edit @Munazir

Edited by Treamayne
Example

3 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

The newer version is released - the Omnibus.

I don't think there are any plans for Sanderson to update and release the Prose version with updates. 

Edit: Was that summary page I linked the one you read?

Yh I was reading that summary and was just getting confused. If I’d already read Whtie Sand and just needed a refresher I think it would be good but as someone who hasn’t read it before hand it just left me confused.

Oh I thought I heard somewhere that the entire book was getting a prose version 

I added to my edit in the post above.

27 minutes ago, Munazir said:

Oh I thought I heard somewhere that the entire book was getting a prose version

Not that I know of - but honestly the prose version was not bad. If you prefer reading over listening you could easily read this then check the "list of changes."

Minor Spoiler

Spoiler

Such as Ais' gender swap from male in the Prose to female for the GN

PS: This post might reference what you were thinking. Quoting here to avoid spoilers:

Spoiler
On 6/19/2022 at 6:45 AM, Elegy said:

Brandon initially planned White Sand as a trilogy, but didn't write the two sequels. That was the plan when he wrote White Sand Prose. At first he was unsure whether to do them as graphic novels:

Spoiler

Iceblade44

The original White Sand was the first of a trilogy so i was wondering what is your plan for the other two books? Writing them as books, graphic novels, or are you just to busy to actually do anything about it right now?

Brandon Sanderson

We'll decide when the graphic novel is done and out. Basically, we have to gauge fan response. If sales are good, and fans want more, we'll likely do them as graphic novels.

When I write more in Taldain, I intend to construct a new story, taking place after the events of the trilogy. (Whether or not we actually do graphic novels of the other two originals.)

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Nov. 29, 2016)

But since the graphic novels are generally unpopular, he doesn't want to go down that route. He wants to include some of these elements in a potential Khriss sequel story though:

Spoiler

Questioner

Are you gonna do more [White Sand Graphic Novels]

Brandon Sanderson

We're gonna do a full omnibus, and then we're talking about what to do with Darkside, 'cause there's a story there that I want to tell. I might involve Isaac in it; he's my art director who art directed this entire thing. There should be another story in the world. We're not sure if it'll be graphic or if it'll be print.

Questioner

I have a copy of Darkside, I just didn't bring it.

Brandon Sanderson

No, not Dark One. Darkside of White Sand, the other half of the planet. Dark One is a different thing. Khriss is from Darkside in this world, and she's really relevant to the Cosmere as a whole. She shows in up several of the other books. She shows up in Bands of Mourning, Khriss from this, and she's also in Secret History, and she shows up here and there. She's really relevant to the Cosmere, particularly some future stuff. And so we want to tell more of her story also.

FanX 2021 (Sept. 16, 2021)

And there's some more details about that story as well:

Spoiler

Questioner

How has Isaac’s writing been coming along?

Isaac Stewart

I have been doing worldbuilding for Darkside.

Brandon Sanderson

We’re thinking, Isaac has been very interested in doing some cosmere stories. So we are going to, at some point, have Isaac write in the cosmere. We’ve talked about Mistborn stuff, we’ve talked about Threnody stuff, we’ve talked about Taldain stuff. Something along those lines, Isaac’s gonna do that.

Isaac Stewart

The first thing you’ll get from me, aside from the Nicki Savage story and the Allomancer Jak that you’ve already gotten, is this new prologue to White Sand. There’s some scenes in there that don’t show up in the original manuscript that were put in there for reasons, just to help the book come together as a whole, that I hope people will like. So you’ll kinda get to see what my take is on cosmere-type things on that.

But that’s where I’m at right now. I’m really enjoying fleshing out the Darkside stuff. We’re thinking about calling it The Arcanist, relating to Khriss. This is her story. And that also gives us leeway to continue her stories under that title, The Arcanist.

Dark One Q&A (July 2, 2020)

... which make it sound like it will be more of its own thing and not that much of a White Sand sequel, but we'll see. Since that was in the middle of 2020 and we've not really heard of it since, the process seems to be a slow one. I wouldn't count on it in the nearest future.

The possible Darkside story - which may be either Prose or GN...

Edited by Treamayne

11 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Off the top of my head, there are White Sand references in the Arcanum Unbounded Esays, Tress, Words of Radiance, Rhythm of War, SP1 - with RoW being the important one. 

Oathbringer too. But in RoW I think White Sand references were explained, so if @Munazir doesn't read the novel, he won't be confused or feel that he's missing something.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

Oathbringer too. But in RoW I think White Sand references were explained, so if @Munazir doesn't read the novel, he won't be confused or feel that he's missing something.

Can't recall the Oathbringer reference OtToMH (Nalthis and Threnody, yes - in Celebrant). Slight Spoilers for SP1, White Sand and RoW:

Spoiler

RoW explains what the characters are using the substance for, but not how it originally is used in White Sand - nor anything connected to the bond that was more explained in SP1

8 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Can't recall the Oathbringer reference OtToMH (Nalthis and Threnody, yes - in Celebrant).

OB ch 67:

Spoiler

Hoid was telling the story of Mishim during the Kholinar siege, he recognize Shallan wearing Veil's face because he had a jar of White Sand in his backpack which pointed in Shallan's direction:

Wit glanced to the side, where he’d put his pack. He started, as if surprised.

[...]

And as he worked, his blue eyes fell on Shallan. They narrowed, and his smile became sly.
He just recognized me, she realized. I’m still wearing Veil’s face. But how … how did he know?

[...]

He hopped up and began gathering his things. Shallan slipped forward and glanced inside his pack, catching sight of a small jar, sealed at the top. It was mostly black, but the side pointed toward her was instead white.

Edited by alder24

22 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I added to my edit in the post above.

Not that I know of - but honestly the prose version was not bad. If you prefer reading over listening you could easily read this then check the "list of changes."

Minor Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Such as Ais' gender swap from male in the Prose to female for the GN

PS: This post might reference what you were thinking. Quoting here to avoid spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

The possible Darkside story - which may be either Prose or GN...

I was checking up the changed version and apparently the prose is the better version but GN is the canon version. Is that right?

19 minutes ago, Munazir said:

I was checking up the changed version and apparently the prose is the better version but GN is the canon version. Is that right?

Most people seem to prefer the Prose. Prose is not canon. GN is canon. Audio combines the Canon GN content with the description of the prose to support worldbuilding. Some excerpted reviews:

Spoiler

On 8/10/2020 at 1:55 AM, LewsTherinTelescope said:
  • I prefer novels to graphic novels in general, so for the medium, I prefer the novel.
  • The first half of the prose version just felt painful. Had to put the book down between each chapter. But somewhere in the second half, I finally got hooked and read through probably 2 or 3 times faster than the first half.
  • I prefer the ending to the Drile fight in the graphic novel, but the exact word choice they used was just cringy to me  So that ending but with better dialogue is my preference.
  • Really that applies to most of it, the prose had some terrible dialogue at times, but the graphic novel used that as a base and then cut out most of it, leaving even the better parts bad.
  • While graphic novels aren't something I love, there are definitely some benefits, like being able to see <things> in the background during Kenton's confrontation of him. I think I prefer that scene in general in the graphic novel (or once again, I would if the dialogue was better). A confrontation with Drile, where both Kenton and Drile ask the other why they sent assassins, would probably be better than either, but I still prefer the GN's version to the prose's.
  • I prefer the GN's ending with Kenton.
  • I do wish some of the scenes cut from the GN (such as Khriss's arrival) were included <in the prose>. I do remember there being some scenes I was glad were cut, but I was too lazy to take notes, so I forget which scenes.

Somewhat surprisingly to me, I think I might have to say that I actually like the graphic novel, when it comes to enjoyment. I don't like graphic novels, and most of the graphic novel had inferior dialogue, and I missed some of the deleted scenes, but the first half of the prose, and even a lot of the second half, was just so. painful. that I think it successfully (if that's really an appropriate word here) managed to outweigh every flaw of the graphic novels for me.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:55 AM, Listener said:

definitely like the prose version better. It had much better character development and gave a clear view of their internal struggles. I wish it had ended on a less open note and I'd have liked to see Ais as a woman there. But, overall, the prose was a whole lot more complete than the GN and conveyed the world with a depth that the GN didnt.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:38 AM, Honorless said:

The prose version is, simply put, much better. The story flows better, the character motivation, personality depth, interaction & development are smoother. The events can be a bit haphazard in the graphic novel, especially vol 1. The prose version is also, of course much more detailed regarding both the characters & world-building (there's a lot of interesting things about Taldain you'll miss if you only read the GNs!). Things gets better in vol 2, and I actually like vol 3 better than its corresponding part within the prose. But that's still only 1/3. I'd recommend reading the prose version and getting vol 3 of the graphic novel (the ending is better, and there's quite an interesting additional scene).

On 8/10/2020 at 2:42 AM, Honorless said:

For most of the altered plot elements the GN was better. The prose version just had better more in-depth worldbuilding, and better way of conveying the characters' internal conflict, especially compared to GN part 1. I prefer the <spoiler> confrontation/revelation more in the GN. I preferred the <spoiler> fight in the prose more actually. GN's ending, no <spoiler> was definitely better.

I preferred GN part 3 more than its corresponding section in the prose, whereas the corresponding prose section was better than GN part 1 & 2. Khriss and Kenton have awful characterization in the GNs. I don't think either version of Aarik (Erik) and Ais were better than the other. I don't really like Ais either way.

Summary:

• If you like AudioBooks, the Audio book is generally considered the best of both worlds
  • If you like GNs, the GN is fine and canon
  • If you like neither of the above, the Prose is fine (I didn't find it quite as painful as LewsTherin did) - and you can easily read one of the many "comparison" threads to learn what changed for the Canon.
Edited by Treamayne

20 minutes ago, Munazir said:
46 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Summary:

• If you like AudioBooks, the Audio book is generally considered the best of both worlds
  • If you like GNs, the GN is fine and canon
  • If you like neither of the above, the Prose is fine (I didn't find it quite as painful as LewsTherin did) - and you can easily read one of the many "comparison" threads to learn what changed for the Canon.

So I can listen to the audiobook and just look at the changes ( the canon version )

Yes, that is absolutely a viable alternative. I would recommend reading this post after you have finished the prose version (then, of course, ask questions if you need clarification).

I'll add in another character that shows up in SA:

Spoiler

Baon, Khriss's bodyguard shows up in one of the interludes, though not by that name. Knowing Baon's backstory may end up being important, we don't know yet. At the end of White Sand it was revealed

Spoiler

that Baon apparently has the potential to become an enormously powerful Sand Master, something that would have been very unusual for a darksider.

If you want the chapter it's the very first Interlude in WoK.

That said, the biggest reason that I can think of for reading White Sand deals with Shards and may be more important for the books you haven't read yet and what looks to me like the direction Sanderson is going with the Cosmere.

Spoiler

Taldain, the world of White Sand, is under the Shard Autonomy. Autonomy is one of the more aggressive Shards in the larger Cosmere (that we've seen) and knowing more about Autonomy and how they operate may be pretty important, especially as we get more crossover. That said, Autonomy barely shows up directly in White Sand, though their ideology is present. Most of what I know about autonomy comes from WoBs.