Shardblades and how to stop getting your eyes burnt out

I am always on the hunt for life goals on how to save myself from a shardblade attack to my spine.  

I am curious to hear folks rank these and defend why you put what where.  

Kandra with aluminum bones (I have pictured some porous metal bone structures with the nerves woven carefully through them... perhaps each bone is an aluminum tube that the kandra can fill with the parts of them that would be considered spiritual in nature...)  I know there is a WoB that says kandra can heal back and regrow shardblade killed limbs so I feel like this has to be near the top with aluminum truebodies being a possible thing.  

Shardplate... obvious. 

A stoneward who has used his surge to create a stone carapace or armor. 

Roseite aether golem or armor. 

Gold compounding

Stormlight and an oath or two or five...

Awakened armor 

Aluminum armor

Others you can think of. 

2 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Others you can think of. 

How about another Shardblade? :P 

Nightblood.

Spine and skull soulcasted into aluminum or replaced with it Wolverine style.

Half-Shard.

Any highly invested weapon or object.

Full metalmind.

Aluminum in general.

Allomantic Atium.

2 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Kandra with aluminum bones (I have pictured some porous metal bone structures with the nerves woven carefully through them... perhaps each bone is an aluminum tube that the kandra can fill with the parts of them that would be considered spiritual in nature...)  I know there is a WoB that says kandra can heal back and regrow shardblade killed limbs so I feel like this has to be near the top with aluminum truebodies being a possible thing.  

Kandra are even better - they don't have a brain or a spinal cord, so Shardblade won't be able to just cut them and burn their eyes out. They are almost Shardblade immune! To kill them you would most likely have to cut most of their brain matter spreaded across their entire body, so you would need to hack their body like a butcher.

Spoiler

zas678

TenSoon wonders, and I wonder too- How can kandra think and be sentient without brains? Doesn't the body need a physical coordinator to relay between the Physical and Cognitive realm? Or do the spikes do a good enough job with that?

Brandon Sanderson

I imagine kandra having a non-centralized nervous system, with brain power spread through their bodies. Well, non-centralized is probably the wrong way to say it. They have lobes of thought and memory attached to muscles here and there, and don't have a single 'brain.' They certainly have brain-like material, though.

/r/Fantasy_Bookclub Alloy of Law Q&A (Jan. 17, 2012)

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Would a Shardblade hurt a Kandra?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

A Shardblade would not kill a Kandra outright, but it would do significant damage.

American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

I think suitable Aluminum alloy armor is probably the best bet.

Every other method of defense could be most likely broken through with few hits, since nothing outside of another Shardblade has been shown to withstand arbitrary hits. And indeed everything either gets cut through immediately (non-Invested non-aluminum matter), or it shatter after two-three hits (Shardplate, Half-shards).

So having Shardblade of your own, or suitable armor out of good aluminum alloy (i.e one that is both sufficiently resistant to supernatural cutting of shardblade, and is also not soft metal like pure Aluminum) are probably the only semi-permanent solutions.

3 hours ago, therunner said:

I think suitable Aluminum alloy armor is probably the best bet.

Every other method of defense could be most likely broken through with few hits, since nothing outside of another Shardblade has been shown to withstand arbitrary hits. And indeed everything either gets cut through immediately (non-Invested non-aluminum matter), or it shatter after two-three hits (Shardplate, Half-shards).

So having Shardblade of your own, or suitable armor out of good aluminum alloy (i.e one that is both sufficiently resistant to supernatural cutting of shardblade, and is also not soft metal like pure Aluminum) are probably the only semi-permanent solutions.

I think that suitably invested metalminds would also resist semi-permanently.

3 minutes ago, Nameless* said:

I think that suitably invested metalminds would also resist semi-permanently.

What is suitably though?

The reason I think they would  break is that everything apart from other Shardblades breaks. If someone figures out how to turn metalminds into fullblown Shardblades, then yes those would resist permanently. Other than though, I don't see it.

The reason I think they would  break is that everything apart from other Shardblades breaks. If someone figures out how to turn metalminds into fullblown Shardblades, then yes those would resist permanently. Other than though, I don't see it.

What do you mean by turning them into full-blown Shardblades?

Edit:

@Lightweaver2

Invested Aluminum won't do anything as it's already as immune as it's going to get, and it hasn't been canonised yet whether or not the Aluminum actually holds a charge as opposed to acting like an Identity sink.

Edited by Underwater_Worldhopper

3 hours ago, therunner said:

What is suitably though?

The Bands of Mourning would probably act almost identically to aluminum. More reasonable amounts like what Wax or Wayne have would break quickly, similarly to what happened with Ishar’s Honorblade  and Nightblood.

9 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Lightweaver2

Invested Aluminum won't do anything as it's already as immune as it's going to get, and it hasn't been canonised yet whether or not the Aluminum actually holds a charge as opposed to acting like an Identity sink.

Thanks, I thought that would probably be how it worked.

3 hours ago, Nameless* said:

The Bands of Mourning would probably act almost identically to aluminum. More reasonable amounts like what Wax or Wayne have would break quickly, similarly to what happened with Ishar’s Honorblade  and Nightblood.

BoM are full Metalmind, which is comparably Invested to Half-Shards. I expect they would break just as fast.

14 minutes ago, therunner said:

BoM are full Metalmind, which is comparably Invested to Half-Shards. I expect they would break just as fast.

Technically Bands are 16 separate full metalminds, investiture from one metalmind doesn't mix with investiture in another one. That would mean that Bands are like 16 Half-Shards in your hand. Every Shardblade strike hits only one metalmind, and can break only one of it at the time. And because more than one hit is needed to break a Half-Shard, you can switch sides of the Bands to prevent a metalmind from breaking. Therefore the Bands are 16 times better than a single Half-Shard :P 

Spoiler

Oversleep (paraphrased)

I asked whether we could call the Bands of Mourning the Survivor's Spearhead and whether it did have all 16 basic metal metalminds.

He hesitated a little but eventually said yes, there were all 16 metalminds.

Oversleep (paraphrased)

I asked whether Marasi tapped all of them, because she would tap Kelsier's Identity and memories.

He said intentions are important and she didn't tap all of them.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

2 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Technically Bands are 16 separate full metalminds, investiture from one metalmind doesn't mix with investiture in another one. That would mean that Bands are like 16 Half-Shards in your hand. Every Shardblade strike hits only one metalmind, and can break only one of it at the time. And because more than one hit is needed to break a Half-Shard, you can switch sides of the Bands to prevent a metalmind from breaking. Therefore the Bands are 16 times better than a single Half-Shard :P 

Reveal hidden contents

Oversleep (paraphrased)

I asked whether we could call the Bands of Mourning the Survivor's Spearhead and whether it did have all 16 basic metal metalminds.

He hesitated a little but eventually said yes, there were all 16 metalminds.

Oversleep (paraphrased)

I asked whether Marasi tapped all of them, because she would tap Kelsier's Identity and memories.

He said intentions are important and she didn't tap all of them.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

Very technical argument :D

Though you could strike more than one at a time, it all depends on how they are layered. :P Shardplate can break crack multiple sections of Plate at once, so it could crack multiple metalminds at once, if it makes contact.

1 minute ago, therunner said:

Very technical argument :D

Those are the best :D 

Just now, therunner said:

Though you could strike more than one at a time, it all depends on how they are layered. :P Shardplate can break crack multiple sections of Plate at once, so it could crack multiple metalminds at once, if it makes contact.

Yes, it depends on shapes of both a Shardblade and the spearhead, their curvature and the angle of a strike, etc.

2 hours ago, therunner said:

I don't think that is correct. Half-Shards are made by using stormlight to invest what is, so far as I know, just normal metal. It is possible that the spren by which the shields are invested is special, but I don't see how that would change basic fabrial mechanics. A few spheres worth of Stormlight is not equal to the thousands of hours of stored traits that were in the Bands. And yes, I'm aware of this WoB putting both full metalminds and half shards in the same general category:

Spoiler

Questioner

I've got a list of various Cosmere bits of metal and I was wondering if you would rank them from like one to ten or just easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them. So with one being just a regular coin, ten being like when the Lord Ruler was moving bits of glass on the floor, so like metal inside a person's body.

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how strong the Investiture in them is.

Questioner

Is that gonna be the answer for all of these?

Brandon Sanderson

Probably!

Questioner

How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike charged with Hemalurgy... that depends on...

Questioner

Not in a person.

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on how strong, yeah, a spike is moderately, (in the realm of these kinds of things) moderately easy to push on because a spike does not rip off very much Investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and less it over time. I would put that at the bottom, with the top being very hard, to be one of the easier things.

Questioner

How about a metalmind that is full?

Brandon Sanderson

That is full? That is going to be middle of the realm of the, yeah. Generally easier than, for instance, a Shardblade which is going to be very hard.

Questioner #2

A Shardblade is [inaudible] actually metal? [metal]-ish?

Brandon Sanderson

Ish. Is Lerasium a metal? Yeah.

Questioner

So that'd be the same for Shardplate too?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardplate and Blade are very hard. Blade is probably gonna be a little harder.

Questioner

A Half-shard?

Brandon Sanderson

A Half-shard shield? That's gonna be moderate.

Questioner

Nightblood? I imagine that being hard.

Brandon Sanderson

Hard, of all the things you've listed, that is going to be the hardest. Far beyond even a Sharblade.

Questioner

Far beyond metal inside a person? 

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, yes. Depending on how invested the person is.

Questioner

If somebody was invested as much as Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, for instance the God King, right. At the end with all those Breaths. Pushing something inside of him, getting through all of that? Gonna be real hard. Average person on Scadrial? You've seen how hard that is. A drab? Much easier.

Questioner

That was my next one, or no, sorry not a drab. A lifeless?

Brandon Sanderson

A Lifeless, yeah. Even... yeah. Lifeless are kind of weird because they've had their soul leave but then they've had a replacement stuck in in the form of Breath which leaves them in a very weird position compared to a drab which has had part of their Investiture ripped away but a majority remains, so, anyways. I'm going to give you one more. Pick your favorite.

Questioner

A soulstamped piece of metal?

Brandon Sanderson

A soulstamped piece of metal is going to be on the lower, easier side. Not a lot of Investiture going on in a soulstamp.

Salt Lake City signing (March 29, 2014)

But there's also this one that states that the bands are only slightly less invested than a Shardblade:

Spoiler

Questioner

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

The "Shard" refers to the heavy Investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will see are the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon, is kind of how I would define it.

Questioner

So are the Bands [of Mourning] one?

Brandon Sanderson

I would not call them one, but they are close. They're not Invested enough.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

Move off Roshar. At present Shardblades are localized to a single system in the Cosmere. Same reason I would move off Threnody.

If you can't leave Roshar, then move to Shadesmar. Shardblades aren't summonable in the CR. Honorblades might be summonable, but there's only 10 of those, and you're probably dead anyway if any of their wielders comes after you (except maybe Moash as he's blind now, but even then he'd have to find you).

If you have to live on Roshar in the PR, live in a house with an anti-Radiant suppressor fabrial and an anti-Stormlight sound system and aluminum walls. Should probably work for everything except maybe 4th or 5th order Knights, and if that kind of opponent is after you, well you're hosed anyway unless you are a similar power level.

Tanking hits from a Shardblade is my absolute last choice. F-Steel, A-Pewter, A-Tin, A-Bendalloy, Lifesense, Aon Tia, basically anything that lets you avoid the confrontation, escape, or dodge.

Alternately get a hold of whatever Dawnshard that Hoid had which is the source of his immortality and presumably why he wasn't fussed when Jasnah pulled Ivory on him at the end of WoR. Depends on if you are fine with accepting Hoid's restrictions in exchange for Shardblades becoming trivial.

Edited by Duxredux
additional thought

5 hours ago, Nameless* said:

I don't think that is correct. Half-Shards are made by using stormlight to invest what is, so far as I know, just normal metal. It is possible that the spren by which the shields are invested is special, but I don't see how that would change basic fabrial mechanics. A few spheres worth of Stormlight is not equal to the thousands of hours of stored traits that were in the Bands. And yes, I'm aware of this WoB putting both full metalminds and half shards in the same general category:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

I've got a list of various Cosmere bits of metal and I was wondering if you would rank them from like one to ten or just easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them. So with one being just a regular coin, ten being like when the Lord Ruler was moving bits of glass on the floor, so like metal inside a person's body.

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how strong the Investiture in them is.

Questioner

Is that gonna be the answer for all of these?

Brandon Sanderson

Probably!

Questioner

How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike charged with Hemalurgy... that depends on...

Questioner

Not in a person.

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on how strong, yeah, a spike is moderately, (in the realm of these kinds of things) moderately easy to push on because a spike does not rip off very much Investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and less it over time. I would put that at the bottom, with the top being very hard, to be one of the easier things.

Questioner

How about a metalmind that is full?

Brandon Sanderson

That is full? That is going to be middle of the realm of the, yeah. Generally easier than, for instance, a Shardblade which is going to be very hard.

Questioner #2

A Shardblade is [inaudible] actually metal? [metal]-ish?

Brandon Sanderson

Ish. Is Lerasium a metal? Yeah.

Questioner

So that'd be the same for Shardplate too?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardplate and Blade are very hard. Blade is probably gonna be a little harder.

Questioner

A Half-shard?

Brandon Sanderson

A Half-shard shield? That's gonna be moderate.

Questioner

Nightblood? I imagine that being hard.

Brandon Sanderson

Hard, of all the things you've listed, that is going to be the hardest. Far beyond even a Sharblade.

Questioner

Far beyond metal inside a person? 

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, yes. Depending on how invested the person is.

Questioner

If somebody was invested as much as Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, for instance the God King, right. At the end with all those Breaths. Pushing something inside of him, getting through all of that? Gonna be real hard. Average person on Scadrial? You've seen how hard that is. A drab? Much easier.

Questioner

That was my next one, or no, sorry not a drab. A lifeless?

Brandon Sanderson

A Lifeless, yeah. Even... yeah. Lifeless are kind of weird because they've had their soul leave but then they've had a replacement stuck in in the form of Breath which leaves them in a very weird position compared to a drab which has had part of their Investiture ripped away but a majority remains, so, anyways. I'm going to give you one more. Pick your favorite.

Questioner

A soulstamped piece of metal?

Brandon Sanderson

A soulstamped piece of metal is going to be on the lower, easier side. Not a lot of Investiture going on in a soulstamp.

Salt Lake City signing (March 29, 2014)

But there's also this one that states that the bands are only slightly less invested than a Shardblade:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

The "Shard" refers to the heavy Investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will see are the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon, is kind of how I would define it.

Questioner

So are the Bands [of Mourning] one?

Brandon Sanderson

I would not call them one, but they are close. They're not Invested enough.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

We don't know the exact principle along which Half-Shard functions. If it is somehow using the spren's 'essence' to charge the shield, it should be more then enough Investiture.
After all, Nahel spren can create quite sizeable amount of Godmetal, and this would be 'just' charging with Investiture.

Thank you for the second WoB, perhaps he has changed his mind in between the two, or perhaps BoM are something else than just full Metalmind. Which, they actually kind of are, since they are medallion and they then must have some cognitive aspect.

I concede that Half-Shard is not a good analogue for BoM, however that does not change the fact that only other Shardblades can fully resist Shardblades on semi-permanent basis, and BoM are not on the Shardblade level per the second WoB.
Everything else (including Shardplate, which I wager is still more Invested than BoM) shatters after 2-3 hits, so I expect also BoM to shatter like that after few hits.

Edited by therunner

8 hours ago, therunner said:

We don't know the exact principle along which Half-Shard functions. If it is somehow using the spren's 'essence' to charge the shield, it should be more then enough Investiture.
After all, Nahel spren can create quite sizeable amount of Godmetal, and this would be 'just' charging with Investiture.

Thank you for the second WoB, perhaps he has changed his mind in between the two, or perhaps BoM are something else than just full Metalmind. Which, they actually kind of are, since they are medallion and they then must have some cognitive aspect.

I concede that Half-Shard is not a good analogue for BoM, however that does not change the fact that only other Shardblades can fully resist Shardblades on semi-permanent basis, and BoM are not on the Shardblade level per the second WoB.
Everything else (including Shardplate, which I wager is still more Invested than BoM) shatters after 2-3 hits, so I expect also BoM to shatter like that after few hits

I don’t think the BoM would shatter. Shardplate and Half-shards are the only things we’ve seen act like that, and we’ve seen what happens when something besides Shardplate encounters a vast Investiture difference. Ishar’s Honorblade was only chipped by Nightblood, who likely contains more investiture than the Unmade:

Spoiler

Questioner

You've previously said that Nightblood is the most powerful non-Shardic being in the Cosmere. Is he more powerful than the Unmade or Stormfather in terms of raw Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Raw Investiture? Here's the thing, when you say powerful, it can mean lots of different things. More raw Investiture than the Stormfather... probably not. Than the Unmade, probably. I would have to look, I don't have the numbers on this. But the Stormfather is very restricted in what he can do.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

And while it admittedly is more invested than an average Shardblade, Ishar’s Honorblade is still probably leagues behind Nightblood. I don’t expect the relatively small Investiture difference between BoM-level metalminds and a Shardblade to matter. It might chip or break eventually, but I don’t think it would take only a few hits.

Edited by Nameless*

17 hours ago, Nameless* said:

I don’t think the BoM would shatter. Shardplate and Half-shards are the only things we’ve seen act like that, and we’ve seen what happens when something besides Shardplate encounters a vast Investiture difference.

Shardplate is basically as Invested as Shardblade, and yet it shatters.

Again, so far nothing but another Shardblade can withstand Shardblade. Everything either gets cut through, or shatters in few hits. I don't see any reason why BoM would be outlier to that rule.
To compare

• Investiture density: Shardplate is most likely more Invested (if not by a lot) than BoM. It is after all pure godmetal.
  • Cognitive/Spiritual aspect: Shardplate has cognitive and spiritual aspect since it is made out of living spren. BoM most likely have some minor cognitive/spiritual aspect since they are (most likely) kind of Medallion.

These are the only relevant factors in resisting Shardblade we have.

BoM seems to be comparable, or weaker than Shardplate.

Shardplate shatters, hence BoM would most likely shatter as well. (with the Aluminum piece surviving, or being just dented/cut through regularly).

Just consider, why would side-effect of BoM provide better defense than an Invested Item designed for the purpose?

7 hours ago, therunner said:

Again, so far nothing but another Shardblade can withstand Shardblade. Everything either gets cut through, or shatters in few hits. I don't see any reason why BoM would be outlier to that rule.
To compare

• Investiture density: Shardplate is most likely more Invested (if not by a lot) than BoM. It is after all pure godmetal.
  • Cognitive/Spiritual aspect: Shardplate has cognitive and spiritual aspect since it is made out of living spren. BoM most likely have some minor cognitive/spiritual aspect since they are (most likely) kind of Medallion.

Shardplate shatters, hence BoM would most likely shatter as well. (with the Aluminum piece surviving, or being just dented/cut through regularly).

Just consider, why would side-effect of BoM provide better defense than an Invested Item designed for the purpose?

Investiture density is not the only thing that matters. Honorblades should be more invested than Shardblades by at least as much as Shardblades are to Plate, and yet ordinary Shardblades are perfectly able to block Honorblades. Plate can be broken by normal force, but Shardblades are indestructible to pretty much anything that's not Nightblood. Half-shards don't come anywhere close to being as invested as Shardplate and yet function similarly to it in durability against Shardblades.

the BoM would resist a Shardblade well. Even if they weren't able to resist it perfectly, I doubt they would react to a Blade in the same way as Plate and Half-shards do.

8 hours ago, therunner said:

To compare

6 minutes ago, Nameless* said:

Investiture density is not the only thing that matters. Honorblades should be more invested than Shardblades by at least as much as Shardblades are to Plate, and yet ordinary Shardblades are perfectly able to block Honorblades. Plate can be broken by normal force, but Shardblades are indestructible to pretty much anything that's not Nightblood. Half-shards don't come anywhere close to being as invested as Shardplate and yet function similarly to it in durability against Shardblades.

the BoM would resist a Shardblade well. Even if they weren't able to resist it perfectly, I doubt they would react to a Blade in the same way as Plate and Half-shards do.

I sort of have this theory that what makes the shardblade do what it does is not just the investiture but also the intention and sentience that the weapon has. I think that Nightblood is so powerful because he exists as a thing on all 3 realms that was built for and exists for only 1 purpose. He is even better at being a shardblade than spren blades because he has nothing else that he exists for.

5 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I sort of have this theory that what makes the shardblade do what it does is not just the investiture but also the intention and sentience that the weapon has. I think that Nightblood is so powerful because he exists as a thing on all 3 realms that was built for and exists for only 1 purpose. He is even better at being a shardblade than spren blades because he has nothing else that he exists for.

That could have something to do with it, but another big part of it is the vast Investiture difference between Nightblood and any Shardblade.

18 hours ago, Nameless* said:

Investiture density is not the only thing that matters. Honorblades should be more invested than Shardblades by at least as much as Shardblades are to Plate, and yet ordinary Shardblades are perfectly able to block Honorblades.

Are they?
I was under the impression that Honorblades are basically about as Invested as Shardblades, and I am not aware of any evidence to the contrary.
They used to be powered directly by Honor, which would made them more powerful in some ways, but they are no longer.

18 hours ago, Nameless* said:

Why? We have two different materials (Godmetal, Invested regular metal) both react the same way (shatter into metallic pieces after 2-3 hits).
BoM is not wildly different, why would it react differently?

Metalminds can be broken by hits from Shardblade (WoB: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/75/#e4363 ), so the most direct explanation is that they would fail exactly the same way as everything else so far, as BoM are still just a metalmind/Medallion and not a Shardblade (the only thing shown to resist other Shardblades fully).

There are basically four modes of interaction with Shardblades:

1. Non-living, non-Invested matter: Go right through with minuscule resistance, cutting the Physical substance.
  2. Living, non-Invested matter: Go right through with minuscule resistance, cutting the Spiritual aspect.
  3. Invested matter/Godmetals (but not sapient): Resist for 2-3 blows, before shattering into pieces.
  4. Invested matter/Godmetals (sapient): Fully resist.
    • One outlier here being Nightblood/Honorblade interaction, however Nightblood is downright weird, and far beyond all the other Invested weapons/armor.
Edited by therunner