is Hoid Hoid?

Sylphrena-Stormborn

Interesting theory, and I do kind of wonder if maybe there will be some kind of meta-twist like that at some point... Brandon turning to the audience and saying "Yep, Hoid appeared in all the books, but I never said they were the same Hoid".

That said... I don't think so. For a start, from what little I've seen of th Liar of Partinel, I think the scene with Hoid's teacher is pre-shattering. More significantly...

Way of Kings, Words of Radiance spoilers

In the letter, Hoid mentions the "element", which I believe is intended to be a bead of lerasium... and according to Brandon, he got a bead from the Well. Further, during the flashback at Shallan's home, the 'messenger' puts something in his drink; I believe there is speculation that that was metallic flakes, implying that Hoid (at that point) possessed allomancy. Both those facts would sem to suggest the Hoid in Stormlight Archive, at the very least, is the same Hoid who has been to Scadrial.

Interesting theory, and I do kind of wonder if maybe there will be some kind of meta-twist like that at some point... Brandon turning to the audience and saying "Yep, Hoid appeared in all the books, but I never said they were the same Hoid".

That said... I don't think so. For a start, from what little I've seen of th Liar of Partinel, I think the scene with Hoid's teacher is pre-shattering. More significantly...

Way of Kings, Words of Radiance spoilers

In the letter, Hoid mentions the "element", which I believe is intended to be a bead of lerasium... and according to Brandon, he got a bead from the Well. Further, during the flashback at Shallan's home, the 'messenger' puts something in his drink; I believe there is speculation that that was metallic flakes, implying that Hoid (at that point) possessed allomancy. Both those facts would sem to suggest the Hoid in Stormlight Archive, at the very least, is the same Hoid who has been to Scadrial.

Just to play Voidbringer's advocate, there's no reason why two different Hoids couldn't have visited Scadrial. Or that street informant!Hoid is the same as Well of Ascension!Hoid.

I'm inclined to say the informant is Hoid, because we know that he has a cameo in every book, also I'm 99% sure there's a WoB to confirm it. However, it does raise the issue of people worldhopping under other people's names and causing havoc - that would be hilarious! (as in, actual names of other characters, not the pseudonyms we've seen thus far).

Going off of Hoid's appearance gives us nothing, as he can Lightweave a different appearance if he so chooses. I see no reason to believe informant Hoid is not the Hoid we regularly see. Going to meet and talk to a person as imports t as Kelsier is exactly something Hoid would do, and the slight personality differences exhibited when we see him in TFE could easily he because he is playing a different role than he often does, as he is usually a storyteller or joker of some sort.

Yes..lightweaving is a possibility

but as for hoid appearing in every series we see him appear in the third book so that could satisfy the condition?

But you guys are probably right-they're all the same hoid

He also appears in The Well of Ascension, as the leader of the Terrismen Elend and Spook meet. This quote pretty much kills any doubt that they are different Hoids:

You are on the right track, but wrong on one point. Hoid does appear in the book.

I had originally toyed with making his touch on the novel more obscure, but decided that I wanted to be consistent with the other novels by actually having him appear. Once I realized I'd probably cut the scene with the footprint, I decided I needed this actual appearance even more badly.

Fortunately, I knew what Hoid had been up to all this time, and had placed him in a position where several characters could run into him. In Well of Ascension, Hoid believed (as Vin did) that the Well was in the North, even though it was not. He spent much of the book pursuing this idea.

So yeah, while there could conceivably be multiple Hoids running around, I really don't think that is the case.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that in HoA, vin met with an informant named slowswift, and then went halfway across the city to meet with another one named Hoid.

Was slowswift also Hoid? He has gone by that name before...

How/why? That seems random

From the annotations:

In a similarly amusing cameo (I must have been in a cameo mood) we have Slowswift—who is based on Grandpa Tolkien. (See this picture.) The name itself comes from his love of wordplay and of names that are inherently self-contradictory.

I’m no Tolkien scholar—I don’t know the man’s personality or how he would have reacted to this situation. I’m just a layman and a fan—who for some reason felt like sticking in a tiny side character in imitation of the master. We authors do strange things like that occasionally.

There doesn't have to be a point, cameos are cameos there usually isn't some hidden meaning there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic