Fine fine fine. I am finishing OB.

I am to the point where Odium is trying to choose Dalinar to be his champion.  Odium is flaunting all of the times that Dalinar felt the thrill.  

As he describes it and explains it it seems more and more like the thrill is actually an invested art itself, or at least part of one. 

The description of it welling up and overtaking him seems very similar in design to the feelings others get when they are holding stormlight.  Or a similar feeling to burning pewter or even lerasium.  It is a similar description to how awakeners escribe being given a new sum of breaths.  

But it is different.  They are all different and unique in their own ways, but the way the descriptions work.  The way the PoV talks about them seems very familiar with how Dalinar describes The Thrill.  

My biggest question has to be this.  Where does The Thrill come from and how do you all think it works? Is it an invested art that is perhaps an end negative or end neutral and relies on innate investiture?  I don't see any description of feeding it an outside source like we see with more kinetic investiture usages.  But it is described in a way that makes me think it is more than just Odium pressuring a person into using it.  I feel like there should be a fuel source for it. Can investiture feed off of emotional health alone?  

So the Thrill is an effect that comes from a Spren called Nergaoul, you'll find out more about him by the end of the book, but it's similar to Radiant bonds, but much easier to form and break and whatnot.

Edited by Frustration

16 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I am to the point where Odium is trying to choose Dalinar to be his champion.  Odium is flaunting all of the times that Dalinar felt the thrill.  

As he describes it and explains it it seems more and more like the thrill is actually an invested art itself, or at least part of one. 

The description of it welling up and overtaking him seems very similar in design to the feelings others get when they are holding stormlight.  Or a similar feeling to burning pewter or even lerasium.  It is a similar description to how awakeners escribe being given a new sum of breaths.  

But it is different.  They are all different and unique in their own ways, but the way the descriptions work.  The way the PoV talks about them seems very familiar with how Dalinar describes The Thrill.  

My biggest question has to be this.  Where does The Thrill come from and how do you all think it works? Is it an invested art that is perhaps an end negative or end neutral and relies on innate investiture?  I don't see any description of feeding it an outside source like we see with more kinetic investiture usages.  But it is described in a way that makes me think it is more than just Odium pressuring a person into using it.  I feel like there should be a fuel source for it. Can investiture feed off of emotional health alone?  

It's not that Nergaoul is/was an invested art (how a single spren can be whole invested art?), It's that all invested arts operate by the same rules and influence people's emotions to some degree. It's good that you see similarities, because that is the point of it. Nergaoul just uses the same mechanism to the greater effect to increase people's will to fight and open them to Odium's control in some rare cases.

Spoiler

Shqueeves

Stormlight, when you hold it, gives a sense of immediate urgency or movement. Does Voidlight have a similar emotional impact?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Shqueeves

Is it the same as the urgency, or is it something different?

Brandon Sanderson

Something different.

Shqueeves

What is it?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. Good question.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Spoiler

Shqueeves

Similar to how holding Stormlight and Voidlight causes an emotional reaction, does holding a lot of Breath create an appreciation for beauty?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I would say that it does.

Shqueeves

Does every form of Investiture create an emotional reaction?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say yes. 

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

18 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Where does The Thrill come from and how do you all think it works? 

18 hours ago, Frustration said:

So the Thrill is an effect that comes from a Spren called Nergaoul, you'll find out more about him by the end of the book

18 hours ago, alder24 said:

Nergaoul just uses the same mechanism to the greater effect to increase people's will to fight and open them to Odium's control in some rare cases.

@Frustration and @alder24 said it better, so I will just add that this was foreshadowed back in WoR Interlude 14:

Spoiler

“The Thrill?” he whispered to Adrotagia as they left the latest group of men. “They fought through the night as their capital burned. It must have been in force.”

“I agree,” she said. “It gives us a further reference point. The Thrill is at least as strong here as it is in Alethkar. Maybe stronger. I will speak to our scholars. Perhaps this will help pinpoint Nergaoul.”