I asked Chat GPT about Shards (SHARD WORLDS!?)

Argenti

So I asked Chat GPT what all the shards are, and it thought shard worlds, It did get the number 16 right though

As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, there are currently sixteen known Shardworlds in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere:

1. Yolen
  2. Sel
  3. Scadrial
  4. Taldain
  5. First of the Sun
  6. Roshar
  7. Braize
  8. Nalthis
  9. Threnody
  10. Ashyn
  11. Obrodai
  12. Vax
  13. Iyatil
  14. unnamed Shardworld from the White Sand graphic novels
  15. unnamed Shardworld from the Dark One graphic novels
  16. unnamed Shardworld from the unpublished Dragonsteel series

It's possible that there are more Shardworlds that have not yet been revealed, as Sanderson has stated that he has plans for more books and stories within the Cosmere.

Ah yes, Iyatil my favorite Shardworld. We really need to feed Chat Gpt the entire Coppermind and every WOB and see what happens.

(I'm not sure where to put this feel free to move it it needs to be put elsewhere)

• 2 weeks later...

The world of the White Sand graphic novels is Taldain, and Yolen is the world of the Dragonsteel series by the way ;)

Also, Threnody isn't technically a Shardworld anymore, as Ambition was splintered by Odium and Mercy is nowhere to be seen. This is why there is no stable Perpendicularity on the planet.

31 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

The world of the White Sand graphic novels is Taldain, and Yolen is the world of the Dragonsteel series by the way ;)

Also, Threnody isn't technically a Shardworld anymore, as Ambition was splintered by Odium and Mercy is nowhere to be seen. This is why there is no stable Perpendicularity on the planet.

Threnody never classified as a Shardworld.

This is part of why I have no fear of AI, this is honestly laughable, six right out of sixteen, multiple repeats, and just horribly inaccurate information

42 minutes ago, Frustration said:

This is part of why I have no fear of AI, this is honestly laughable, six right out of sixteen, multiple repeats, and just horribly inaccurate information

Feed them Cosmere stuff over and over again, and they will be 99.9% accurate. But AI is not a threat, AGI on the other hand is a different story, but we're not there yet.

Edit: Wow  I'm already Sentient Awakened Object? Right after Truthless? Now I'm fulfilled!

Edited by alder24

40 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Frus is right on this one. AI may be very useful in fields with definitive answers, but for something like the Sanderfandom, there's too much speculation and interpretation going on for a chinese-room to keep up.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, Argenti said:

We really need to feed Chat Gpt the entire Coppermind and every WOB and see what happens.

WoB's would probably confuse AI to a high degree. Many of them are contradictory, poorly worded, or incomplete. AI outputs are based entirely on the quality and quantity of data. While it may seem like the quantity condition is fulfilled, when we're talking about computers and data, we actually don't have all that much, as far as I understand things. Sure, it might indicate some interesting patterns or correlations we've never seen before, but feeding an AI all of Sanderson's works won't give us a Diagram of Sanderson's writing plans. Heck, I don't think Sanderson himself could give us the future of his writing plans, what with him being a discovery writer and all.

52 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

Frus is right on this one. AI may be very useful in fields with definitive answers, but for something like the Sanderfandom, there's too much speculation and interpretation going on for a chinese-room to keep up.

I was talking about accuracy of currently known Cosmere, not predictions about the future. In this case the network is clearly lacking sufficient training, feed them data and they will always provide accurate information about published books and annotations. You're right about all WoBs, those would only confuse them. But even that AI won't be able to make good predictions about the future of Cosmere. But currently known Cosmere will be accurate. 

19 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I was talking about accuracy of currently known Cosmere, not predictions about the future. In this case the network is clearly lacking sufficient training, feed them data and they will always provide accurate information about published books and annotations. You're right about all WoBs, those would only confuse them. But even that AI won't be able to make good predictions about the future of Cosmere. But currently known Cosmere will be accurate. 

I should clarify, I wasn't replying to you, alder. Your message appeared while I was typing mine. Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

It did a much better job when I asked it:

Name all known shardworlds

ChatGPT

Here are all the known Shardworlds in the Cosmere universe:

Sel - This is the world of the Elantris novel, where the Shards Dominion and Devotion were once held.

Scadrial - This is the world of the Mistborn series, where the Shards Preservation and Ruin were held.

Nalthis - This is the world of the Warbreaker novel, where the Shard Endowment is held.

Roshar - This is the world of The Stormlight Archive series, where the Shards Honor, Cultivation, and Odium are held.

Taldain - This is the world of the White Sand graphic novel series, where the Shards Autonomy is held.

Threnody - This is the world of the Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell novella.

First of the Sun - This is the world of the Sixth of the Dusk novella.

There are also several other planets and star systems that have been mentioned or hinted at in various Cosmere works, but their names and details have not yet been fully revealed.

1 hour ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

It did a much better job when I asked it:

Name all known shardworlds

ChatGPT

Here are all the known Shardworlds in the Cosmere universe:

Sel - This is the world of the Elantris novel, where the Shards Dominion and Devotion were once held.

Scadrial - This is the world of the Mistborn series, where the Shards Preservation and Ruin were held.

Nalthis - This is the world of the Warbreaker novel, where the Shard Endowment is held.

Roshar - This is the world of The Stormlight Archive series, where the Shards Honor, Cultivation, and Odium are held.

Taldain - This is the world of the White Sand graphic novel series, where the Shards Autonomy is held.

Threnody - This is the world of the Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell novella.

First of the Sun - This is the world of the Sixth of the Dusk novella.

There are also several other planets and star systems that have been mentioned or hinted at in various Cosmere works, but their names and details have not yet been fully revealed.

well yes, thats since I asked for Shards, not Shardworlds

Just now, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

I-

Those are supposed to be shards?????

Iyatil really is working hard, double-teaming as a Shardworld AND a Shard :')

I KNOW RIGHT!?!