Topic title

Is Noodles a witch  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is Noodles a witch

• no hes just super tall and athletic and attractive
    • no hes not a witch just super attractive (and cacophony is a witch)
    • Nameless votes don't count or (ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ)
    • HES A WITCH

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Good people of the court!

Please, this is the 21st century. Be civil.

I, on behalf of my client, do accept this role of defense attorney and will truly and faithfully represent @Wits instant noodles. I will speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me ADONALSIUM!!

*ahem*

If the defendant will join me, we will discuss his position.

You called?

You want my help?

1 hour ago, Monk of Dakhor said:

May I just state, I am the best paper.io world conflict player I have ever seen

Screenshot 2023-03-24 6.26.06 PM.png

that is until you meet me *evil smile*

15 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

You called?

You want my help?

I'm not sure I did.

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

The PM is made, just @ me if you want to be a judge or if I didn't add you! Actually since we have nine, we may just take spectators or mess around with a council of more than nine judges :P

@The Wandering Wizard I am not in the PM.

Just now, cheeseman said:

Ohhh so there's a PM set aside for the judges. Got it.

Will work on defending if the defendant ever appears.

Yeah, we have to have our private place to council together and to discuss or to just mess around and have our representative to the thread act professional :P

4 hours ago, Monk of Dakhor said:

actually never mind I want to screw you over, what can I do @Aes Sedai to mess up wits instant noodles

You could probably join the jury. Or you could be a witness, you spend a lot of time with him.

Also, @The Wandering Wizard, I'm not in the PM and I am the judge. Do you want me in that, or is it reserved for jury members? (What I'm really asking is can I please be in it. I love to mess around I can be productive, or I can promise that I won't try to persuade you. Starting now, I will be acting as judge, not as prosecutor and if I get called as a witness, @CalanoCorvus can be my temporary replacement if that is acceptable both to him and the jury.

1 hour ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Also, @The Wandering Wizard, I'm not in the PM and I am the judge. Do you want me in that, or is it reserved for jury members? (What I'm really asking is can I please be in it. I love to mess around I can be productive, or I can promise that I won't try to persuade you. Starting now, I will be acting as judge, not as prosecutor and if I get called as a witness, @CalanoCorvus can be my temporary replacement if that is acceptable both to him and the jury.

I thought that you were part of the accusing party.

6 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

We are going to need three prosecuting and three defending attourneys and also three witnesses for each side :P

@Kajsa :)

HELLO WONDERFUL PEOPLE! Idk if you want my help BUT I know a lot about how trials work and I think we can get the best out of it if we all know what we're doing. Would you be willing to let me explain the basics of how a real court trial works?

9 minutes ago, Kajsa :) said:

HELLO WONDERFUL PEOPLE! Idk if you want my help BUT I know a lot about how trials work and I think we can get the best out of it if we all know what we're doing. Would you be willing to let me explain the basics of how a real court trial works?

Sure.

I can do Lincoln-Douglas debate, but I've never done a trial before.:D

19 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I'd be down for learning more.

Okay! Perfect.

So there's a lot of prep that has to happen before the trial actually starts. Sometimes, for really important trials (specifically criminal cases, civil cases are usually pretty quick prep-wise), it takes years to prepare. Though I seriously doubt that will be the case here :P 

Here are the roles (I'll explain what they do a little later):

There's one UNBIASED judge, obviously.

Each side (Defense and Prosecution) has to have at least three attorneys, and each side should have the same amount. They do a LOT of work to make sure that the trial goes smoothly and to sway the jury to their side.

Each side also has to have at least three witnesses that help THEIR side of the case. The Defendant is a Defense witness. These witnesses are crucial to the process of a trial. If you don't have witnesses, you can't have a trial.

You also have to have a jury. A jury usually has 12 members who know NOTHING about the case. So if you already know a lot about the case, you can't be a juror. Sorry, that's just how it works. 

Any questions thus far, or shall I go a little deeper into what each role does?

Edited by Kajsa :)

6 minutes ago, Kajsa :) said:

You also have to have a jury. A jury usually has 12 members who know NOTHING about the case. So if you already know a lot about the case, you can't be a juror. Sorry, that's just how it works. 

Everyone on the Jury is very confused so I think they know nothing :P

6 minutes ago, Kajsa :) said:

Deeper is fine.

28 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Everyone on the Jury is very confused so I think they know nothing :P

Deeper is fine.

Okay. Everyone should read all of this and take notes because it'll make it a lot easier to know what's going on.

So the judge (@AonEne) is basically the "president" of the court. They have the final say in things like objections. (There are four kinds of objections: relevance, prior bad acts, more prejudicial than probative, and hearsay. I'll explain those in a little bit). So, if, in the trial, an attorney was in the middle of questioning a witness and went on a rant about pizza, the other side could object for relevance. The judge could sustain that objection if it applied and the attorney would have to move on or make their point a different way. A good example of this is the courtroom scene in Legally Blonde, which I'll post below because it also has to do with cross-examination. A judge can also accept "exhibits" into evidence. If an attorney wants to give the jury evidence, they first have to ask the witness "What is this?" to which the witness will answer. But BEFORE THEY SHOW THE JURY, THEY HAVE TO tell the judge, "Your Honor, I submit Exhibit #whatevernumberexhibititis to be taken into evidence". The judge would then say, "Any objections to Exhibit #whatevernumberexhibititis?" If the other side has no objections, the judge will say "Evidence accepted," and the attorney can give the evidence to the jury to look at. If there is an objection such as more prejudicial than probative, the judge will say "Evidence denied" and the attorney cannot show the evidence to the jury or do anything else with it. Also, generally, in a real courtroom, you'd have to ask the judge for permission to approach the jury or the witnesses, but since this is online we won't have to do that.

I think that's it for the judge. Feel free to jump in if you have any questions, and my DMs are always open as well!

Edited by Kajsa :)

12 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I thought that you were part of the accusing party.

I was, but I signed up to be the judge so I was going to act impartial starting now. Although @Kajsa :) might have just decided that i'm not :P it would seem Ene is now XD 

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

@AonEne she's the judge..that is if she wants to be.

Um... Okay, I guess. I asked her if she wanted to be a jury member, but that's okay. Is it okay if I plan to be the judge if she doesn't want to? if I can't, @CalanoCorvus, do you want to be the judge (assuming it's okay to be both the judge and the executioner)?

1 hour ago, Kajsa :) said:

Okay! Perfect.

So there's a lot of prep that has to happen before the trial actually starts. Sometimes, for really important trials (specifically criminal cases, civil cases are usually pretty quick prep-wise), it takes years to prepare. Though I seriously doubt that will be the case here :P 

Here are the roles (I'll explain what they do a little later):

There's one UNBIASED judge, obviously.

Each side (Defense and Prosecution) has to have at least three attorneys, and each side should have the same amount. They do a LOT of work to make sure that the trial goes smoothly and to sway the jury to their side.

Each side also has to have at least three witnesses that help THEIR side of the case. The Defendant is a Defense witness. These witnesses are crucial to the process of a trial. If you don't have witnesses, you can't have a trial.

It might be a little tricky to find 12 people who don't know what's going on that are willing to be jury members. Most of the people that are ridiculous enough to do this are already here. :P And it might be hard to find 3 defense witnesses. And it might be hard to find 3 defense attorneys. If the defendant (@Wits instant noodles) can't find witnesses, does he just get called guilty? If he doesn't find attorneys, we can provide him with some. We already had @cheeseman sign up to be one if the defendant can't provide them. Do we have any other volunteers?

1 hour ago, Kajsa :) said:

Okay. Everyone should read all of this and take notes because it'll make it a lot easier to know what's going on.

So the judge (@AonEne) is basically the "president" of the court. They have the final say in things like objections. (There are four kinds of objections: relevance, prior bad acts, more prejudicial than probative, and hearsay. I'll explain those in a little bit). So, if, in the trial, an attorney was in the middle of questioning a witness and went on a rant about pizza, the other side could object for relevance. The judge could sustain that objection if it applied and the attorney would have to move on or make their point a different way. A good example of this is the courtroom scene in Legally Blonde, which I'll post below because it also has to do with cross-examination. A judge can also accept "exhibits" into evidence. If an attorney wants to give the jury evidence, they first have to ask the witness "What is this?" to which the witness will answer. But BEFORE THEY SHOW THE JURY, THEY HAVE TO tell the judge, "Your Honor, I submit Exhibit #whatevernumberexhibititis to be taken into evidence". The judge would then say, "Any objections to Exhibit #whatevernumberexhibititis?" If the other side has no objections, the judge will say "Evidence accepted," and the attorney can give the evidence to the jury to look at. If there is an objection such as more prejudicial than probative, the judge will say "Evidence denied" and the attorney cannot show the evidence to the jury or do anything else with it. Also, generally, in a real courtroom, you'd have to ask the judge for permission to approach the jury or the witnesses, but since this is online we won't have to do that.

I think that's it for the judge. Feel free to jump in if you have any questions, and my DMs are always open as well!

So, I wasn't originally planning on having an actual well-thought-out trial, I was picturing this more like the Salem witch trials (as that's what this is, a witch trial) but if we want to do an actual trial, I am 100% ok with that. I've never been part of one, but it's been a fun idea floating around in the back of my mind.

If we do it like the witch trials, can I be both a judge and a witness? If not, I have a friend that might make a 17th Shard account just to be a witness here, so I could still be the judge if that's okay. I have always wanted to be a judge in a mock trial :P 

4 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Um... Okay, I guess. I asked her if she wanted to be a jury member, but that's okay. Is it okay if I plan to be the judge if she doesn't want to? if I can't, @CalanoCorvus, do you want to be the judge (assuming it's okay to be both the judge and the executioner)?

I have no qualms with both representing the law, and punishing those who disobey it.

Those two seem to go hand in hand.