Wittles

This is just a really random weird thing that's been bouncing around in my head for a while. So I was thinking about how the next era of mistborn is going to be a space opera, so they'll probably have some sort of computers right? So they'll probably get some sort of robots, maybe even allomantic robots. Then I thought that it might be possible that there is a different kind of robot made on Nalthis that's basically an investiture-bot. (Nalthis probably has probably had some sort of development in terms of their understanding of awakening) 

The question is, who would make the first robot in the cosmere.

Spoiler

I may be totally off on the possibilities of awakening metals, but they were able to make stone lifeless with one breath, so at least to me metal lifeless don't seem too far of a stretch.

(Sorry if all of that was utterly incoherent)

Tbf every Awakened object can be called a robot. It has a singular purpose, which it performs automatically in a specific way as it was imagined/programmed by Awakener and it replace a human effort. It even resembles a human being. That's the definition of a robot.

1 hour ago, Sky Breaker said:

It depends on whether or not we are talking about humanoid robots. If we are just saying robots in general then I think the fourth bridge counts. If we are talking about humanoid robots then probably taldain because it has had so long since we have seen them 

Bridge 4 is not a robot, it's a machine, it has to be steered to be able to move. It isn't automatic.

But Nightblood is the closed to advanced robot: 

Spoiler

Boogalyhu34

Can Nightblood be considered a Splinter and does it function like a spren realmatically, are there distinct differences is what I'm asking.

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is kind of his own strange thing. He's an attempt to use one magic to replicate something in another. He's closest to a spren, but kind of like a...robot spren, for lack of better words to use.

Argent

When you say that Nightblood is "an attempt to use one magic to replicate something in another," do you mean life in general, or are you referring to a specific effect in a specific magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

There are those involved who knew that Shardblades existed before they tried the Nightblood experiment.

uchoo786

So does this mean Vasher had knowledge of Shardblades before creating Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

It means what I wrote, and nothing more at this point. :)

wickedmath

Dude. That's the most tantalizing RAFO I've seen in awhile. Have other Shards made Shardblades besides Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

:) RAFO

Phantine

Is that why Vasher uses the word 'Investiture' instead of some personal term for it?

Brandon Sanderson

I could be wrong, but I think Vasher was the first one in any book I allowed to use cosmere-aware terms for speaking of things like the magics. (Investiture is one of these.)

/r/books AMA 2015 (July 25, 2015)

The next Mistborn era (era 3) isn’t a space opera. According to Brandon it’s a 1980sesque spy thriller. Era 4 is the space opera that’s supposedly going to be Stormlight Archive length books. I’ve seen this around the forums a bit and it seems quite a few folks have forgotten about era 3’s time frame. 

As to your topic, the way metal is special in the cosmere as it relates to investiture makes me wonder if robots as we know them IRL could work. I like the idea mentioned about anything Awakened being a sort of robot. Idk. Interesting idea! I love these forums.