Thoughts on Atium Alloys

DariusJenai

It just now struck me how deeply sad and ironic it is that the people in the world most connected to the cosmic force of protecting and keeping safe everything that exists... are known almost exclusively for their power as assassins, and their ability to interact with pieces of cosmic destruction.

Hmm, I think it's semi-ironic, however it also makes a certain amount of sense. Sure their powers can be used for killing and destruction, but its just like how they received their powers, Snapping to Preserve themselves in a moment of danger. The connection to Preservation is so the Allomancer can use their magic to preserve themselves, and everything else worth saving even if it requires destruction. However it is a kind of brutal, ends justify the means Preservation.

Edited by Windrunner

Something really fascinating I noticed when flipping through the Brandonthology:

17th Shard: Are there a limited amount of atium and lerasium alloys for each metal?

Brandon: Hmm, yes…I suppose there would be but there are…

17th Shard: More than sixteen?

Brandon: Yeah, way more than sixteen.

17th Shard: Oh wow. Okay. That's fascinating. More than sixteen and less than infinite.

Brandon: Yes.

So... maybe trying to guess won't accomplish much.

Edited by Deus Ex Biotica

Something really fascinating I noticed when flipping through the Brandonthology:

17th Shard: Are there a limited amount of atium and lerasium alloys for each metal?

Brandon: Hmm, yes…I suppose there would be but there are…

17th Shard: More than sixteen?

Brandon: Yeah, way more than sixteen.

17th Shard: Oh wow. Okay. That's fascinating. More than sixteen and less than infinite.

Brandon: Yes.

So... maybe trying to guess won't accomplish much.

It should be noted that whoever wrote the Ars Arcanum in Alloy thinks there are two sets of sixteen, but he may not have complete information, or Brandon could've changed his mind.

Just a reminder from the Table of Allomantic metals, Atium alloys do generate expanded Mental and Temporal powers, while Lerasium alloys generate expanded physical and enhancement effects.

reference: Table_of_Allomantic_metals.jpg

Also, as should be pretty apparent, that Table has some typos, but the content is mostly good (though lerasium is its correct spelling; oh well).

Yeah, right up until Brandon Sanderson actually said that there were more God Metal alloys than one per other metal, everyone seems to have assumed that. It's still pretty shocking, and makes guessing fairly impossible (though, on the other hand, I suppose it makes it more likely that any given guess would be correct).

Here's a question... is it possible to alloy Atium and Lerasium? I know in another Thread, people were joking that would make Sazedium, which creates Feruchemists, but that seems unlikely - the God Metals are named after the people, not the Shards, which makes me think that the person's own nature shapes them, as well as the Shard's.

Maybe burning Lerasatium would just cause a giant explosion?

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Here's a question... is it possible to alloy Atium and Lerasium? I know in another Thread, people were joking that would make Sazedium, which creates Feruchemists, but that seems unlikely - the God Metals are named after the people, not the Shards, which makes me think that the person's own nature shapes them, as well as the Shard's.

Maybe burning Lerasatium would just cause a giant explosion?

-- Deus Ex Biotica

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the "final metal" Miles was ranting about.

Presumably there's one particular alloy that just makes people into Atium mistings, but I can't think of any particular reason a different mixture couldn't make Feruchemists or do something even stranger.

I wasn't joking when I suggested that. Feruchemy is rather important to Sazed. The other option is that it is the metal you can store anything in, or possibly that anyone can store in or tap.

Atium and Lerasium both grant their respective magic system, Atium can be used to Hemalurgically spike any characteristic and Lerasium burns itself to grant Allomancy.

I wasn't joking when I suggested that. Feruchemy is rather important to Sazed. The other option is that it is the metal you can store anything in, or possibly that anyone can store in or tap.

Atium and Lerasium both grant their respective magic system, Atium can be used to Hemalurgically spike any characteristic and Lerasium burns itself to grant Allomancy.

I think it's an extremely good guess, and makes perfect sense.

Oh, I certainly believe that Sazedium could be used by anyone as a Metalmind.

But, just as Atium can be burned for an effect not directed related to Hemalurgy (and, it is hinted, Lerasium can be burned for other things in addition to boosting Allomancy), I assume Sazedium could be burned for something besides Feruchemy.

And, in either case, I do not think that Sazedium would actually be an alloy of Lerasium and Atium, for the reasons above.

Edited by Deus Ex Biotica

• 2 weeks later...

I havent really thought about the logical parts of it but I would assume that since they are god metals, the rules may not entirely apply to them, since gods dont necessarily have to follow the rules. or at least bend them? i dont know

lets talk about what possible efects could be created rather then guess what metals would do what. what if its possible that any effect could be created with the right combination of metals?

or possibly use god metals to combine the effects of feruchemy with allomancy?

maybe more then one allomantic metal could be compounded with god metals to create various effects?

here are just some ideas of effects that could possibly be created with god metal alloys:

Iron/Steel:

ability to create a cloud like a coppercloud but instead it negates or dampens the effects of steel and iron burned by another person inside the cloud. Ironcloud. involving copper+godmetal

ability to push/pull any matter not just metal. maybe an alloy with pewter in it?

or the ability to push/pull sources of metal toward other sources of metal

maybe increase the weight of a targeted source of metal? transfering weight from an ironmind into a different target by targeting it with said godmetal+steel/iron alloy. or perhaps even heat from a brassmind?

antigravityfield- the burner of whatever alloy that creates this effect would need to select an ironmind to attach it to, and then create an antigravity field. any person or object that enters the antigravity field would become weightless, their weight being siphoned into the ironmind.

speedtrap- the burner of this alloy could take any speed they have stored in a steelmind and pulse it out, increasing the speed of any moving objects in range, or the reverse effect, store the speed of any moving object or person in range.

Tin/Pewter:

Tinsense. using atium. gives a "feeling" of what might happen if one were to take a certain course of action. for example, if one were standing in a maze and burned this metal, when considering a certain path one would sense what might happen if they took that path. like if one path were more dangerous then the other, they would sense the danger of the dangerous path when they considered taking it, and the other direction, sense that its safer, if it was. like an oracle of what might happen if, rather than what will happen when

pewter/atium could give a person determination and the instinct to do whatever it is they plan to do? for example if I needed to climb a rockwall but had no idea how to approach it, I would burn the metal and instinctively know how to climb it and then do it, even if ive never actually seen the place before.

and the ability to enhance other people with the powers of tin/pewter. alloyed with chromium or nicro

Toughen/Brittlize- requires a pewtermind. the burner could rearange the matter on an object touched to make it softer or harder

Zinc/Brass:

Ability to feel the emotions of the person you focused on. this would be pulling so it would be zinc. pushing with brass would be to push your own emotions into somebody.

the ability to push or pull thoughts, rather than emotions.

the ability to push actual feelings of pain or pleasure or other sensory information usually enhanced by tin

zinc/brass shadow. same idea as the copperfield (below) except anyone withing the field would be effected by the emotion that the burner left there. so if I were to create a zincfield and pulled on anger, anyone who enters the area where the metal was burned would have their anger flared

flashfreeze- ability to instantly store all the heat in a certain object or area into an appropriately sized brassmind. or the reverse effect. but external not internal.

the ability to store an emotional push or pull inside a sourse of metal that would be relseased on the first person to touch it? ignoring the emotional protection of copper because it would be like involuntarily tapping the metalmind

Copper/Bronze:

Bronze/lerasium. the ability to see the preservation in somebodys body, rather than feel their allomancy. when burned any person who has preseveration in them would glow or whatever, and could be seen throught barriers. a mistborn would glow brighter than a misting. the lord ruler could probably be seen from miles away with this

a bronze alloy that allows one to sense feruchemy being used? or tell what kind of energy has been stored in a hemalurgic spike?

Copperfield. when burned the person would create a coppercloud that would stay in the area it was created for an amount of time even if the creator walks away. burning more at once would make it last longer and burning it for a longer time would make it more powerful. maybe using copper+cadmium or cerrobend

bronzeshadow. burning this bronze alloy with another metal would leave a shadow of that metals pulse in the place it was used at even after the burner has left the area and has stopped burning. this might be useful to confuse a seeker who might be searching for you. so you could leave a false trail, then turn on the copper and go in a different direction

Portkey- the burner can store a memory in a source of metal like a coppermind, and the memory would rebound into the first person to touch the metal.

Chromium/Nicrosil

use of chromium to pull the effects of another persons allomancy into oneself? like if this were used on somebody burning pewter the person leaching would gain the effects of the pewter instead, if the metal was brass, the leacher would just have to touch the person burning brass and it would be like they were burning the brass theirself instead.

the ability to leach powers from a hemalurgic spike. or use nicrosil/lerasium to charge a spike? since a spike would normally steal preservation from a persons body, pushing lerasium into a spike could have the same effect

--------

maybe certain metals would give the ability to push feruchemical abilitys onto other people?

like the ability to heal somebody else with your own goldmind or give somebody your own memories with a coppermind using a nicrosil/godmetal alloy? plus a metalmind. assuming that the burner is also a feruchemist

Edited by Hear

Question: since Atium is not one of the base 16 metals, then why were 1/16th of the Mistings in Hero of Ages, Seers? Was that just Preservation messing with the normal order of things as part of his plan to checkmate Ruin? Or were the "Seers" actually Mistings of some unknown metal (probably a temporal metal, Cadmium or Corrobend), who were able to burn Atium due to its similarity to their actual allomantic power?

Yep. Two of the metals (Bendalloy and Cadmium) were far too rare for them to ever to be discovered naturally by pre-Ascension Scadrial. So Preservation switched those two Temporal metals out for Atium and (presumably) Malatium, so that people could see the 16% easier.

Question: since Atium is not one of the base 16 metals, then why were 1/16th of the Mistings in Hero of Ages, Seers? Was that just Preservation messing with the normal order of things as part of his plan to checkmate Ruin? Or were the "Seers" actually Mistings of some unknown metal (probably a temporal metal, Cadmium or Corrobend), who were able to burn Atium due to its similarity to their actual allomantic power?

This brings up a point that actually makes the answer to the Lerasium/Atium alloy kind of boring. If Lerasium creates mistborn, and Lerasium alloyed with another metal makes a misting, then wouldn't a Lerasium/Atium alloy just make a Seer?

This brings up a point that actually makes the answer to the Lerasium/Atium alloy kind of boring. If Lerasium creates mistborn, and Lerasium alloyed with another metal makes a misting, then wouldn't a Lerasium/Atium alloy just make a Seer?

If I remember correctly, there is more than one possible alloy for each of the allomantic metals. Perhaps one, three to one lerasium to atium, would make seers, while a one to one would make feruchemists...

While it is probably true that one would become a Seer by eating a Lerasium-Atium alloy, a Mistborn burning the alloy would produce a different effect, similar to the fact that eating Lerasium creates a Mistborn, which is not what it does when Allomantically burned by a Mistborn. A Mistborn burning Lerasium gives a different effect, AFAWK.

Probably. I don't remember if it was confirmed that seers were just Atium mistings, or whether Atium can simply be burned by anyone with a certain misting ability, like say, Electrum.

• 4 years later...

I think Sazed probably just made it so snapping doesn't require getting the crap beat out of you or similar nastiness.

Possibly, Snapping Allomantically could resemble mistsickness, but with a lower fatality rate, and some sort of sign to determine what metal(s) a person could burn.

It would be terrible if they had to swallow 16 metals with the ability to use only one or none of them. Especially since pewter, bendalloy, and cadmium are all toxic that I know of, with detrimental effects likely from some of the other metals.

• Chaos locked this topic