New oathpack

The_Milkgod

There have been talks in the books of a new oathpack being made and I see it discussed here in the forum. Personally I think its a stupid idea. We have had it hammered into us the failing of the old one with heralds over time going insane and the shortening of returns. So why is it still an idea? 

48 minutes ago, The_Milkgod said:

There have been talks in the books of a new oathpack being made and I see it discussed here in the forum. Personally I think its a stupid idea. We have had it hammered into us the failing of the old one with heralds over time going insane and the shortening of returns. So why is it still an idea? 

Because Dalinar keeps thinking about it.

And there is a 10-15 year gap between first and second half of Stormlight 

Just now, KaladinWorldsinger said:

Because Dalinar keeps thinking about it.

And there is a 10-15 year gap between first and second half of Stormlight 

Yeah I mean why does he think about it? He’s seen what it does to the heralds etc. I don’t see why the thought is in anyones head at this point in the story. 

What does that have anything to do with it?

1 minute ago, The_Milkgod said:

Yeah I mean why does he think about it? He’s seen what it does to the heralds etc. I don’t see why the thought is in anyones head at this point in the story. 

What does that have anything to do with it?

I don't know

The wait kinda looks a the result of a problem not being fully solved and instead a temporary solution was found. Like maybe an oathpact that lasts for the gap. A delaying tactic. It is not set in stone, but is based on the ideas like will Odium lose in book5 of 10? Especially this will be the first book of taravodium. Will he lose immediately? That will be boring a little. But it's just a theory, not a fact

Oathpact in its original form can't be done anymore - Fused don't return to Braize after being killed, they return via Everstorm without Odium’s involvement. Fused souls can no longer be stopped from Returning. Even Odium said this when making a contract with Dalinar. So the Oathpact will be just useless. If the new Oathpact would bind just Odium to not intervene on Roshar, then there are still thousands of Fused that can rage a war, many of whom think humanity must be destroyed. So this also won't help that much. 

Now Taravangian. Brandon specifically said that he decided to switch Rayse for Taravangian because Rayse has lost so many times already, that he ceased to be a serious threat. If the very first thing Taravangian does is to lose again, then switching Odium would be pointless. Taravangian must win, or at least achieve some pyrrhic victory.

That's why I think that Taravangian will win the contest of champions or at least trick Dalinar into breaking it, Odium will get freed from Roshar or at least will be able to send agents into Cosmere, but his action will lead to destruction of Kharbrant, which will violate Odium's deal with Taravangian, wounding Odium and exposing him to blows from Shards. Because of that Odium will have to lay low for a time being, and that's why we have a time skip.

It's the only thing that has ever worked to restrain Odium and the Desolations, and was also the best idea that people with far more knowledge, power, and experience in these matters than Dalinar has could come up with.

I'm not sure that Dalinar thinks it's a great idea, but rather is the only idea he's come up with that he thought would even maybe work.

I agree that a new Oathpact is probably not the way to go.

6 hours ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

I don't know

The wait kinda looks a the result of a problem not being fully solved and instead a temporary solution was found. Like maybe an oathpact that lasts for the gap. A delaying tactic. It is not set in stone, but is based on the ideas like will Odium lose in book5 of 10? Especially this will be the first book of taravodium. Will he lose immediately? That will be boring a little. But it's just a theory, not a fact

It could be anything. To me it seems more like something may go wrong with the contest more than anything. However your thought I could see happening as well.

I could see a new type of Oathpact being forged with the flashback characters being the new Heralds and then the time jump being to when one of them bends their oaths but SA5 would really have to sprint in regards to a lot of those characters being in necessary place (and not just physically) to enact that.

On 2/9/2023 at 0:03 PM, alder24 said:

Even Odium said this when making a contract with Dalinar.

Shards can lie. I'm not sure it's possible in this moment but there is a possibility that Odium was lying in order to manipulate what type of Oath he'd be bound to.

Edited by lacrossedeamon