mistborn era 3 Allomancy

Blue-phoenix186

Will there be Allomancy in era 3 in era 2 it’s very obvious that Allomancy is at a decline Brandon said that the main character will be  a Feruchemist it should depend on how long the time skip is right if it’s only 50 or 80 years there might still be  Allomancy but if it’s like the first one 200 years or more then Allomancy probably won’t be around anymore it might pass into legend so people might not even believe that it existed in the first place

I don't know anything about the main character being a feruchemist, but I know that the main character will be a nicrosil Misting from Terris, and her brother will be the other one, so there still will be Allomancy. While Allomancy is on decline it doesn't mean it will vanish, just that becoming a Mistborn is very unlikely because of gene dilution. There will also be a few cool Twinborns, and Allomancer SWAT teams. So Allomancy won't disappear in era 3. WoBs:

Spoiler

MindCanaries

Why did you settle on a Nicrosil Misting for your second Mistborn trilogy? Did you consider any other types?

Brandon Sanderson

I considered others, but in the end this was one aspect of the magic system I hadn't explored yet but which is very important for the future of the series. I wanted to start establishing it.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)

Spoiler

Peter Ahlstrom

The next trilogy is 1980s, and the main character is a brown Terris geek girl.

Of course things could change by the time he starts writing it in 2020.

General Twitter 2015 (Aug. 19, 2015)

Spoiler

McCullough

I love Wax as a Skimmer and a Coinshot. Is that your favorite Twinborn combination? If not, what is?

Brandon Sanderson

It's certainly one of my favorites. However, some of the characters in the modern day trilogy have some really neat combinations as well.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

Spoiler

Questioner

What are your plans for the third Mistborn trilogy?

Brandon Sanderson

1980s level technology... little bit of a, "how nerd culture works" in Mistborn world, on Scadrial. Lots of fun stuff. Allomancer taskforces and SWAT teams.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Era 2 is as diluted as Allomancy will become

Spoiler

Yoonseo Chang

Looking at Allomancy, you've mentioned that over time the power dilutes and each ability becomes less powerful. (for example a Tineye in Era 2 will generally be less powerful than one in Era 1) Does the same effect happen in Feruchemy as well? How would Feruchemy become less pure or diluted (other than Ferrings appearing)?

Brandon Sanderson

I have not gone as far with Feruchemy in that regard. I would say that if you're going to get a weakening of Feruchemy, which you're asking about, is the amount of stored attribute you get for lost attribute. There is decay there, you don't get a 1:1. Feruchemy generally I would say is not much weaker than it was before, a little bit but not much. This was done partially for narrative reasons. I wanted Allomancy... I wanted to back off a little on Allomancy and tell stories with it a little bit weaker. Again, mostly narrative reasons at this point. At this point on Scadrial, it's weakened about as much as it's going to because by this point people are having children that are more powerful because of the certain mixing. I'm not saying it's going up, I'm saying they have hit an equilibrium on Scadrial for the most part, at least in the Basin.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

21 hours ago, Frustration said:

Era 2 is as diluted as Allomancy will become

Hide contents

Yoonseo Chang

Looking at Allomancy, you've mentioned that over time the power dilutes and each ability becomes less powerful. (for example a Tineye in Era 2 will generally be less powerful than one in Era 1) Does the same effect happen in Feruchemy as well? How would Feruchemy become less pure or diluted (other than Ferrings appearing)?

Brandon Sanderson

I have not gone as far with Feruchemy in that regard. I would say that if you're going to get a weakening of Feruchemy, which you're asking about, is the amount of stored attribute you get for lost attribute. There is decay there, you don't get a 1:1. Feruchemy generally I would say is not much weaker than it was before, a little bit but not much. This was done partially for narrative reasons. I wanted Allomancy... I wanted to back off a little on Allomancy and tell stories with it a little bit weaker. Again, mostly narrative reasons at this point. At this point on Scadrial, it's weakened about as much as it's going to because by this point people are having children that are more powerful because of the certain mixing. I'm not saying it's going up, I'm saying they have hit an equilibrium on Scadrial for the most part, at least in the Basin.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

So then, if you doubled up a Feruchemist's power with a Hemalurgic spike of the same power, you would get a more efficient version? That's kind of cool.

I remember questioning this awhile back on the Q&A, but this seems like it explains it pretty well.

This would also explain why Steel Inquisitors needed more time to store health that natural Feruchemists; it wasn't that they couldn't store as quickly, they just didn't get as use out of the amount of Investiture they stored.

Thanks @Frustration for this quote!

Edited by Trusk'our