Faded text in Shallan's sketchbook?

AltonicKeys

10 minutes ago, AltonicKeys said:

In the Lait page of Shallan's sketchbook, at the top there's faded women's script.

Hide contents

63cacfd2443c6_Screenshot2023-01-209_27_48AM.thumb.png.89cef2b1b8f06641ecf10c2b0af2c773.png

Here it is with contrast up:

contrast.thumb.png.76d7fc5dc48b55bb8ff0a5751f5365a3.png

Has this already been decoded? I can't find anything on the coppermind. If not I'm ready to do so myself

I don't think it has been.

I've never even noticed that, there could be something increadible there, good find.

36 minutes ago, AltonicKeys said:

In the Lait page of Shallan's sketchbook, at the top there's faded women's script.

It's possible that when Shallan needed a new page to finish Tyn's communication-by-spanred in the tent, she used the back side of one of her drawings. I just rechecked the text, and it doesn't say such, but it is shortly after stopping at the lait.

I figured it might be a factor if translating the text requires a mirror image first (i. e. it's faint because it's being seen through the paper)

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

It's possible that when Shallan needed a new page to finish Tyn's communication-by-spanred in the tent, she used the back side of one of her drawings. I just rechecked the text, and it doesn't say such, but it is shortly after stopping at the lait.

I figured it might be a factor if translating the text requires a mirror image first (i. e. it's faint because it's being seen through the paper)

I checked and it makes a lot more sense now, giving actually coherent words. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow, keep getting gibberish words (even more than usual)

If anyone has a higher quality image than the wiki has that would help a ton, I'm working on the 1,375 × 2,048 file.

Also, if this is just Tyn's communication thing and not some deep secret, I am going to go insane.

Spoiler

Progress so far. White text is unsure.

prog.thumb.png.8deb1ebb7dfce079c43f632c6e32cf0f.png
amogus!!!

52 minutes ago, AltonicKeys said:

If anyone has a higher quality image than the wiki has that would help a ton,

Pease see PM - I tried some zoom - PRT SCN shenanigans and ended up with the relevant section at 3250x1600. 

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

I have nothing useful to add and zero talent for decoding Alethi script... but I love puzzles.  It's clear that someone (Ben McSweeney?) wanted to give us a puzzle to solve.

I just want to say I'm following this development with great excitement and I appreciate all your efforts; great find!

42 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Is Women's script an alternitive English script? If not, and it is like Glyphwards, it cannot necessarily be directly translated unless there is a translation dictionary I don't know about.

You can do direct translations. I've done it in the past.

1 hour ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Is Women's script an alternitive English script? If not, and it is like Glyphwards, it cannot necessarily be directly translated unless there is a translation dictionary I don't know about.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Women's_script
The women`s script is a phonetic script and the text in the arts in women`s script was actually english written in women script (and not Alethi as it probably should actually be) so you can decode it to english exactly.

7 hours ago, AltonicKeys said:

Progress is slow, keep getting gibberish words (even more than usual)

If anyone has a higher quality image than the wiki has that would help a ton, I'm working on the 1,375 × 2,048 file.

Also, if this is just Tyn's communication thing and not some deep secret, I am going to go insane.

Reveal hidden contents

Progress so far. White text is unsure.

prog.thumb.png.8deb1ebb7dfce079c43f632c6e32cf0f.png
amogus!!!

I think the word near uncle is actually 'plead' rather than bland. Might fit the sentence better? 

3 hours ago, AltonicKeys said:

Yeah that makes much more sense, thanks!

Ooh, the second word could be 'Statement' - spelled Statmint. The only word I can think of that matches the indeys word is intrigues, spelled Intregs, making that first line "the statement that intrigues me". That might not be correct though, as the indeys word doesn't have an 'R' in it.

The word between 'I' and 'sense' could possibly be 'love' - spelled Lav ?

Mate, the phonetics make it tricky. 

Edited by Werewolff Studios

5 hours ago, Werewolff Studios said:

Ooh, the second word could be 'Statement' - spelled Statmint. The only word I can think of that matches the indeys word is intrigues, spelled Intregs, making that first line "the statement that intrigues me". That might not be correct though, as the indeys word doesn't have an 'R' in it.

The word between 'I' and 'sense' could possibly be 'love' - spelled Lav ?

Mate, the phonetics make it tricky. 

I think that the other examples we saw were always english spelling for words and not phonetic spelling (but maybe I am mistaking). If this is the case then probably this will also be english spelling.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone finished translating this since? I still can't find anything on the coppermind about it except that the sketchbook page is used as an example of women's script on the women's script page (though with no transcription).